Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:35 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
This hotel is fantastic, and the ghost thing is just funny.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
I've never received an upgrade at the W. At the Hyatt they have taken care of me over the years. Since ghosts don't exist that's all a bunch of BS. For SPG hotels I'd rather stay at the Four Points!
Not sure if that means the Four Points is very good, or the Hyatt is very bad!

I haven't received any upgrades at the W or the LM as a lowly gold, but the LM is quite the sweet spot for using Starpoints to upgrade to a club floor. It costs just 1,500 Starpoints per night to upgrade from a base room to the club floor, which is pretty good as far as SPG point upgrades go.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
In the midst of a four-night stay and we are being very treated very well (at least as a Diamond). Amenity included a box of delicious macaroons and a bottle of wine. At check-in, I was asked if I preferred the points or the amenity, which the agent said was sparkling water. We'll see if I get the points, but I'm happy with the actual amenity if not. Fruit also refreshed daily, but I think that's a Club-floor thing.

Also, I am really, really impressed with the food. Dunno why I had low expectations, but I have been really pleasantly surprised by the quality of everything we've had in the lounge and ground-floor cafe at breakfast, especially their baked goods.

FYI, lounge renovations are done as of breakfast on Dec 25.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old Dec 25, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by 54austin
In the midst of a four-night stay and we are being very treated very well (at least as a Diamond). Amenity included a box of delicious macaroons and a bottle of wine. At check-in, I was asked if I preferred the points or the amenity, which the agent said was sparkling water. We'll see if I get the points, but I'm happy with the actual amenity if not. Fruit also refreshed daily, but I think that's a Club-floor thing.

Also, I am really, really impressed with the food. Dunno why I had low expectations, but I have been really pleasantly surprised by the quality of everything we've had in the lounge and ground-floor cafe at breakfast, especially their baked goods.

FYI, lounge renovations are done as of breakfast on Dec 25.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Just a quick update on the renovated lounge...kind of a letdown. The views are ok - only one end faces Taipei 101. Breakfast has a much smaller selection than in the ground floor restaurant. Evening canapes are very good, but it's a bit of a zoo. This is due in part to the guests, but the layout is also poor. The savory foods are all concentrated in one small area where the bar is also located, creating crowd flow problems. The lounge itself is also awkward. It's quite long with seating against the windows. There is also a long bar-height table and at least one private-ish room.

The service and the food continue to be very good, but I think the renovated space is very underwhelming.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Can anyone recommend another tourist destination accessibly by train from Taipei? We have 11 nights total and thought we might split it at the Hyatt, leaving our large luggage and go someplace for a night or 2. A quick search seems to come up with Kaohsiung. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated, and also an accommodation recommendation at the other destination if possible. Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:11 am

Two words - Taroko Gorge!

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Can anyone recommend another tourist destination accessibly by train from Taipei? We have 11 nights total and thought we might split it at the Hyatt, leaving our large luggage and go someplace for a night or 2. A quick search seems to come up with Kaohsiung. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated, and also an accommodation recommendation at the other destination if possible. Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Hi OsakaWino, Heard from friends that the "sun moon lake" area is supposed to be really nice, although we haven't been ourselves.
http://www.sunmoonlake.gov.tw/Englis...y/Beauty01.htm

The hotel that was recommended to us is "Lalu".
http://www.thelalu.com.tw/en/discovery.php

We just came back from GH Taipei, used DSU for a Grand Suite. Had a pleasant stay, the comments about the over-crowding in the club lounge is very true...
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:17 pm

Kaohsiung is far in the south. I haven't been in ages but it's good for fresher and cheaper seafood than Taipei. This month, I'm looking to go to Hualien, Yangmingshan, or Beitou for the hot springs. Only have 5-6 days and plan to relax. Beitou can be reached by car or metro from GH. IIRC Hualien is a couple of hours away by high speed rail.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:44 am

I haven't been to this hotel in a while. Does anyone know if as a Diamond you can have the breakfast at the club lounge or the buffet on the first floor?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:48 am

Don't think so...but my partner has dietary restrictions and I emailed them in advance about it. In response, they offered their restaurant breakfast in addition to the lounge. Perhaps you have dietary needs.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:17 pm

has anyone tried apply diamond suite upgrade on a c/p stay? I was told the hotel put restriction on it??? Weird.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:31 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I've heard the GH TPE is very stingy in releasing C+P rooms and DSU. I haven't stayed there for a while. It seems that post the renovation, rates seem to be around TWD 9000.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:28 am

Yeah. They will apply DSU on regular rate,but not C+P rate.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hhhhkk
Yeah. They will apply DSU on regular rate,but not C+P rate.
I have C&P + DSU for 11 nights in April-May, which of course anyone would know from reading the thread for 5 minutes.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by hhhhkk
has anyone tried apply diamond suite upgrade on a c/p stay? I was told the hotel put restriction on it??? Weird.
I did it without an issue last year (1/2014).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.