Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:35 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
Thanks!

Do you have any clue how they’re justifying playing with the Globalist upgrade? The Hyatt program terms seem quite clear that the best available standard room available for sale at check in must be given to a Globalist:

It seems like if I booked a full points rate, and then a better room (non-suite) was available for sale at check-in, I’d have a pretty clear case for compensation if they did not upgrade me to it. It seems like View from the Wing hit a similar thing in their stay a few years ago: https://viewfromthewing.com/review-park-hyatt-sydney/
You don’t need to quote the WOH terms. We know them well.

The reality is the Suites are beyond the Premium Suite definition. You should receive an Opera Deluxe if available.

As always, cash is king and returning guests get treated better.

If you can survive in a Harbour King then just book points and have your Concierge reach out asking to be consisted for an Opera Deluxe.

You’ll see in the app the night prior to check in what you’ve been upgraded to. If it’s not great you can firmly make some demands at check in.
RememberTheConcord likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
You don’t need to quote the WOH terms. We know them well.

The reality is the Suites are beyond the Premium Suite definition. You should receive an Opera Deluxe if available.

As always, cash is king and returning guests get treated better.

If you can survive in a Harbour King then just book points and have your Concierge reach out asking to be consisted for an Opera Deluxe.

You’ll see in the app the night prior to check in what you’ve been upgraded to. If it’s not great you can firmly make some demands at check in.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. I thought what you were saying is that they were regularly trying to argue that somehow the Opera Deluxe was outside of the realm of the Globalist upgrade, which would not make sense.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I thought what you were saying is that they were regularly trying to argue that somehow the Opera Deluxe was outside of the realm of the Globalist upgrade, which would not make sense.

They can also be conveniently all sold to paying cash customers and you'll be SOL. Try to book what you can live with here.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:54 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

No. In fact many report that is the usual upgrade. The hotel has told me that before, as well. (Pre new GM).

You must remember the PH likes most hotels right now isn't selling 100% of inventory and are operating on reduced capacity.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. In fact many report that is the usual upgrade. The hotel has told me that before, as well. (Pre new GM).

You must remember the PH likes most hotels right now isn't selling 100% of inventory and are operating on reduced capacity.
Have you gone back to PH Sydney since the subpar last stay?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Have you gone back to PH Sydney since the subpar last stay?
We were supposed to but delayed due to Omnicron.

Tellingly, no one from the property contacted me after my complaint to Hyatt.

I dare say that speaks for itself.

Last edited by m0hamed; Feb 17, 2022 at 5:46 am
Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were supposed to but delayed due to Omnicron.

Tellingly, no one from the property contacted me after my complain to Hyatt.

I dare say that speaks for itself.
Dabinett probably didn't like having to pay the fine for being called out by Consumer Affairs. This is now a Cat 8 hotel too.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:30 am

Thinking of returning to the PH. Are they still allocating rooms on Hickson?

Lowly discoverist here.

By some miracle, my first stay I was upgraded to a Opera View Deluxe.

My second stay was a Harbour View King.

My Hyatt Leverage rate can book in to a standard King, but of course I'm aiming for something with a view. Better chance on a cash rate for five nights than using points?

Also, for some reason I can't figure out, the five night stay produces a lower rate than any other combination of nights. So using a combo of cash nights and points nights wouldn't make sense.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 2:37 pm

No-one can tell you what room type you are going to get, however unless its a public holiday or the hotel is 100% you probably won't get a Park King.

Non status members are generally all upgraded to a Harbour King, even on points stays.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 2:51 pm

Thank you. I was looking for data points to see if cash is upgraded more often, and more categories, than points.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Thank you. I was looking for data points to see if cash is upgraded more often, and more categories, than points.
Not really. It's generally more return guests are treated better.

Again, don't forget your app will show the upgrade the day before or morning of. Then you'll be given upgrade options, as well.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience with Dabinett says cash bookings are king and he doesn't really care about returning guests. In Seoul, he actually preferred high spending non-member guests that would book high categories outright and just be glad to be there.

Last edited by Aventine; Feb 22, 2022 at 3:17 pm
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:23 pm

Again, don't forget your app will show the upgrade the day before or morning of. Then you'll be given upgrade options, as well.
Upsells don't appear in the app until the day before or morning of? How un-NOR1
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Upsells don't appear in the app until the day before or morning of? How un-NOR1
Booking direct on cash may offer it earlier in the app and online.

Points, Points + Cash are only closer to check in.

But why not wait and see what you get then decide? That's what I do and generally upgrade to Deluxe or Opera Deluxe.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:14 am

3rd night free is back + breakfast. Stack with Prive.

Unfortunately, the hotel flatly denied an upgrade in advance because they expect a full house over the stay dates. I find it hard to believe they're running 100% over any upcoming dates. Are all rooms in service and in inventory? Or is only a portion of the hotel open?

Last edited by saaveraward; Mar 2, 2022 at 8:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.