Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I just did the same with the cert that expired on Feb 28. It was fine but I wouldn't stay when my points or cash were on the line.

Staff was good, plentiful and attentive. The Globby-hour extended a choice of 2 reds (Shiraz & Merlot) or two whites (Chardonnay & Sauvingon Blanc) or draught beer. The little finger food tray was better than expected though small and only 1. That's 6-8PM. Breakfast appeared good but a late night out resulted in a small breakfast window before needing to leave for an appointment so didn't get to have a good feel for it. Staff delivered a welcome fruit plate of two slices of watermelon, half mango and two slices papaya shortly after arrival. Water in room was plentiful.

Was able to get a room at noon when I arrived and given a suite. One would think, as staff appeared to be salivating over having a Glob at the desk (I've never had any checkin use the term so frequently!), something better than a 12th floor suite would be in the works but no, lowest floor of rooms overlooking the bar, train and bank building across the street. No, I didn't hear the train or street noise but having lived in a number of noisy places it just no longer registers. And no I didn't complain about the room, they gave me a suite, albeit perhaps an undesired one, it is what it is. Room was decent size, nice bathroom, but whoever decided to put the closet, safe, draws and bag shelf next to the front door of a suite should be flogged and made to listen to the NY Ranger's Sam Rosen for eternity. There's no excuse for positioning the closest across the main room from the bedroom. With so many windows facing south I don't know if the a/c could handle an April day, thankfully we had 2 hours of midday rain (lovely dry season weather) so no problem on that front.

The only hitch I can think of was, at checkin, I was asked if I wanted turn down service and said yes, but after 6PM. He asked if 7PM would work and I agreed. So, at 5:15PM, a moment after getting back from the gym - the bell rang for turn down. I simply asked the woman to come back at 7 and after Globby-hour the room was done so no harm no foul, but if you're going to ask at checkin then you should damned well follow through. Otherwise don't bother asking. Not a big problem but self inflicted by the hotel.

I did not use the pool but I did use the gym, as alluded to above, and came away ambivalent. A large space with great views over the British Embassy grounds and north but equipment wise it didn't stack up with the Conrad and GHE and other better gyms. It wasn't Aloft level but it wasn't what I'd expect for a hotel who's entry rooms are north of 10K THB.

As for accessing rooms without going through the front desk area: it's a bit of a bottleneck and might be best avoided even without company in tow during busy checkin/checkout times.

Oh, and finally, if you want to use BTS before 10AM when the mall opens (or after it closes as well) you need to go outside, cross Wittayu and walk up the stairs. That's a poorly thought out scenario.
They turned off the motion sensing AC monitor that people complained about in the beginning? Any problems with room temps?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Aventine
They turned off the motion sensing AC monitor that people complained about in the beginning? Any problems with room temps?
I didn't notice any problems but it was cooler than seasonably expected.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
The happy hour for Globalists has been discontinued (again) without notice. I find that constant back and forth with their policies quite irritating and to be honest it pisses me off.

Booked 2 Rooms for 3 nights each so obviously not a cheap stay at all. Communicated with management beforehand saying I need an adjoining room with a connection door and specifically said '1 suite King Bed as upgrade, 1 twin bed connected (can be a standard room)'.

Then this in-room check-in thing again. Nowadays I always get nervous with that and sure enough they didn't follow my instructions and the rooms were not connected which nobody bothered to tell me a day before arrival. Looked at 3 different room combinations and eventually had to settle for a standard/deluxe combination that is now costing me a whopping 56,000 THB for 3 days. I'm annoyed to no end believe me that!

Amazing that it's not even possible to get an international newspaper here, only Bangkok Post. What is this??

Last edited by skywalkerLAX; May 10, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Old May 10, 2018, 4:26 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Stay at the StR
Old May 10, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Amazing that it's not even possible to get an international newspaper here, only Bangkok Post. What is this??
Believe me.. you will get better treatment at Sheraton
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scienm
Believe me.. you will get better treatment at Sheraton
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Totally agree.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Finished my fourth stay at PHB and I am impressed how much the hotel evolved over the last year. Service is now top notch and they implemented all the elements I would expect from a Park Hyatt: they reach out by e-mail asking for arrival time and offer help with limo bookings, they individualize welcome amenities and take note of room preferences. The Concierge Desk is a real asset and goes out of their way to make things happen. Only issue I encountered was staff during breakfast didn't speak proper English and orders got mixed up. Now that all rooms are open it's nice to find so many room types and there are some hidden gems on the higher floors as the building narrows and some suites are really nice up there.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:01 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SMK77
Service is now top notch and they implemented all the elements I would expect from a Park Hyatt: they reach out by e-mail asking for arrival time and offer help with limo bookings
You realise this is simply an upsell for airport transport?
Old May 10, 2018, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
they implemented all the elements I would expect from a Park Hyatt: they reach out by e-mail asking for arrival time and offer help with limo bookings, they individualize welcome amenities and take note of room preferences. The Concierge Desk is a real asset and goes out of their way to make things happen.
Any decent hotel in Bangkok should offer equivalent (or better) service.

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Totally agree.
Will be there in two weeks.
skywalkerLAX and scienm like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
You realise this is simply an upsell for airport transport?
Every hotel is doing this upsell and I don't mind. Important is that the hotel is taking note of your arrival and departure time and your room is ready. This has worked very well so far for this hotel.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:22 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Every hotel is doing this upsell and I don't mind. Important is that the hotel is taking note of your arrival and departure time and your room is ready. This has worked very well so far for this hotel.
Sure, but they flip side is they ask arrival time so they know whether to upset you early check in, plus deny late checkouts to others based on the room block.

Based on your review I may give it another time although the StR BKK is always outstanding.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
i always use hotel transportation when i dont have a car at least on arrival, 1- cause you will rarely have problems with early check in 2- for going straight to jell and not passing through the GO case I think the value especially for number 2 is high in my book, especially after a long flight(s).
Old May 13, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by synd
i always use hotel transportation when i dont have a car at least on arrival, 1- cause you will rarely have problems with early check in 2- for going straight to jell and not passing through the GO case I think the value especially for number 2 is high in my book, especially after a long flight(s).
I never ever had a problem with an early check-in if I really needed it (as early as 4:30 am at the PH Beijing, but I've stayed there 30+ times) but I tend to confirm that in advance. Agreed that a car transfer usually helps with that for non status guests considering the profit margin for the hotel.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Sure, but they flip side is they ask arrival time so they know whether to upset you early check in, plus deny late checkouts to others based on the room block.

Based on your review I may give it another time although the StR BKK is always outstanding.
And why exactly should I mind that Hyatt is setting up an early check-in for an arriving high revenue guest and deny late check-out for a departing low revenue guest?

StR BKK is an excellent property but I am not a SPG Platinum and don't get Suite Upgrades while PHB upgrades me every time to a suite being a Lifetime member. The price difference has gotten much smaller now that PHB is offering member rates of 6,800 THB on a regular basis and is no longer looking at 10,000 THB or more.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The price difference has gotten much smaller now that PHB is offering member rates of 6,800 THB on a regular basis and is no longer looking at 10,000 THB or more.
Quite a drop. I see Park Deluxe Suite for 8000 THB next week. That's considerably less than I'm paying for a Grand Suite at SGS.

Wonder if they'll drop to Cat 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.