Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I was looking to use my soon to be expired Cat 1-7 cert here prior to the end of Feb and while looking at days awards are available noticed that cash and points is using a USD/THB rate of 38.4 (4800 THB for a US $125 rate). I've seen some egregious exchange moves by hotels but this, at more than 20% over current rate takes the cake. Additionally I don't think this hotel was open when USD was north of 35 THB.

Kalboz likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I was looking to use my soon to be expired Cat 1-7 cert here prior to the end of Feb and while looking at days awards are available noticed that cash and points is using a USD/THB rate of 38.4 (4800 THB for a US $125 rate). I've seen some egregious exchange moves by hotels but this, at more than 20% over current rate takes the cake. Additionally I don't think this hotel was open when USD was north of 35 THB.

hey hes losing hes pants on the mall

Call or email and see if they will agree to charge you in USD which is $125, this would be the odd off where you want the charge in USD. Would love to hear why its more then $125, Hyatt set that rate. But didnt set the amount in local currency. I would also Hyatt CS and complain the only way to put an op like this in their place
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was looking to use my soon to be expired Cat 1-7 cert
Originally Posted by craz
hey hes losing hes pants on the mall

Call or email and see if they will agree to charge you in USD which is $125, this would be the odd off where you want the charge in USD. Would love to hear why its more then $125, Hyatt set that rate. But didnt set the amount in local currency. I would also Hyatt CS and complain the only way to put an op like this in their place
A little reading comprehension will do wonders. I'm not looking to use C&P here, just happened to notice it when looking to use a free night cert.

As for the rest of your post it's rather odd. Why would an establishment in a country where USD is not the currency charge me in USD except through DCC? And it's more than $125 becuase the hotel has set an arbitrary exchange rate 20% above reality. "losing pants on the mall"? What on earth are you talking about?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended

As for the rest of your post it's rather odd. Why would an establishment in a country where USD is not the currency charge me in USD except through DCC? And it's more than $125 becuase the hotel has set an arbitrary exchange rate 20% above reality. "losing pants on the mall"? What on earth are you talking about?
well I guess you never stayed or was inside the Hotel. The hotel occupies floors 9-36 (or is it 8-36) anyways its on top of the Embassy Mall a mall with luxury names which alot of folks I met refer to as being a white elephant = empty. The owner of the PH is the same person who owns the mall and whole building. If hes losing his pants on the mall I assumed hed try and recoup his money via the hotel

2- Ive stayed at numerous hotels around teh world where some offered to charge me in USD ( yep DCC) others charged me according to what the amount was on the res or chain charged. In this case if it was like others theyd charge me $125 and not convert 4800 thb with whatever rate they chose. It wasnt with any Hyatts. So I was wondering if a person spoke with Hyatt would they agree the hotel can charge according to whatever rate they decide to use x 125 or if itmust be $125 or darn close to . Thats all nothing to get your feathers all ruffled over
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold

I believe that the PH BKK previously was quoting 4500 THB & 10000 WoH points for Points and Cash. I thought that 10000 points and 4500 THB for the PH BKK was a bad deal before; 10000 points and 4800 THB is even worse. It is a shame that the PH BKK isn't more competitive.

For the cash component, even 4500 THB exceeds the $125 cash component quoted by WoH for Category 5, based on today's exchange rates (THB:USD), an excess greater than 10%. Despite the THB strengthening against the USD since the beginning of the year, there doesn't appear to be a good reason for the increase. Lately there seems to be greater variances in the cash component for P&C for several non-US Hyatt properties based on WoH category pricing, compared to the past. Some properties cash components are higher, and some are lower. Maybe Hyatt properties have more flexibility now to set the cash component for P&C rates.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well I guess you never stayed or was inside the Hotel. The hotel occupies floors 9-36 (or is it 8-36) anyways its on top of the Embassy Mall a mall with luxury names which alot of folks I met refer to as being a white elephant = empty. The owner of the PH is the same person who owns the mall and whole building. If hes losing his pants on the mall I assumed hed try and recoup his money via the hotel
What does being inside the mall/hotel have to do with excessive exchange rate gaming? And yes, I've been inside the mall on a couple of occasions long before you ever set foot in there. The reason the hotel is charging this ludicrous forex is because they believe they can get away with it, nothing more, nothing less. The mall ownership, Central, is one of, if not the biggest, development companies in Thailand. If you think they're trying to recoup losses based upon PH C&P I've got a bridge to see you in lower Manhattan.

2- Ive stayed at numerous hotels around teh world where some offered to charge me in USD ( yep DCC) others charged me according to what the amount was on the res or chain charged. In this case if it was like others theyd charge me $125 and not convert 4800 thb with whatever rate they chose. It wasnt with any Hyatts. So I was wondering if a person spoke with Hyatt would they agree the hotel can charge according to whatever rate they decide to use x 125 or if itmust be $125 or darn close to . Thats all nothing to get your feathers all ruffled over
Your DCC charge would be based upon the 4800 THB then converted to USD meaning you'd wind up paying >25% above the $125 cost.

Do you really want to keep digging that hole?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Can you do room service breakfast?
They charge you the full breakfast price plus delivery fee if you take room service - this is the first hyatt to have ever charged me for room service breakfast.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SethLevy
They charge you the full breakfast price plus delivery fee if you take room service - this is the first hyatt to have ever charged me for room service breakfast.
Well, it isn't a Diamond benefit anymore so they are within their rights to do so.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:43 am
Suspended

What does being inside the mall/hotel have to do with excessive exchange rate gaming? And yes, I've been inside the mall on a couple of occasions long before you ever set foot in there. The reason the hotel is charging this ludicrous forex is because they believe they can get away with it, nothing more, nothing less. The mall ownership, Central, is one of, if not the biggest, development companies in Thailand. If you think they're trying to recoup losses based upon PH C&P I've got a bridge to see you in lower Manhattan.

Your DCC charge would be based upon the 4800 THB then converted to USD meaning you'd wind up paying >25% above the $125 cost.

Do you really want to keep digging that hole?
Again yrs ago I had asked to be charged (at a non Hyatt) the amount in USD even thou the hotel had a lousy rate, and I was charged in accordance to what the USD was eg instead of 400thb it was $125. Not all hotels will put thru a charge in USD and most will want to use their DCC rates, but not always. Since my stay here was an award stay I left with no charges whatsoever so I have no idea if in fact the hotel will charge $125 or only in THB. No question that 4000thb is a rip off and shouldnt be allowed Now if all or most of The Hyatts are using crazy DCC rates then not much to be done , however if most of the others are much lower then Id complain to Hyatt why The PH is using such a crazy rate

I think the owners are trying to have a profitable building overall, so they will do as they see fit in order to achieve that, be it off the hotel or mall. I have no idea what the occupancy rate is.

I liked the hotel and they seem to be getting their act together, but my next trip to BKK if other similar hotels are alot cheaper with the same benefits Id probably go there instead, if theres only a min difference in rates then Id go back to the PH, unless I know ahead of time I will have a room facing the front = street noise
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
a room facing the front = street noise
I just got back from a stay here and had a suite on the 14th floor facing south (the metro runs along this street). I am very sensitive to noise and I found it to be very quiet. I liked my stay here but was not blown away. As a globalist asked if I could have a checkout as late as 7pm and it was granted to me, although I did have to move to a King room next doot at noon, which I was happy to do. The staff were very good but i don't think the build quality is very good in the hotel. For example, as I was laying on my back stretching in the gym (which is a very average gym at best--no free weights and dumbells only up to 22kg) I noticed a lot of peeling paint already occuring on the ceiling.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again yrs ago I had asked to be charged (at a non Hyatt) the amount in USD even thou the hotel had a lousy rate, and I was charged in accordance to what the USD was eg instead of 400thb it was $125. Not all hotels will put thru a charge in USD and most will want to use their DCC rates, but not always. Since my stay here was an award stay I left with no charges whatsoever so I have no idea if in fact the hotel will charge $125 or only in THB. No question that 4000thb is a rip off and shouldnt be allowed Now if all or most of The Hyatts are using crazy DCC rates then not much to be done , however if most of the others are much lower then Id complain to Hyatt why The PH is using such a crazy rate

I think the owners are trying to have a profitable building overall, so they will do as they see fit in order to achieve that, be it off the hotel or mall. I have no idea what the occupancy rate is.
First off, the rate they are charging is 4800 THB. Secondly, the amount of P&C rooms being sold are probably miniscule to none; claiming the hotel is setting their exchange for P&C in order to make the hotel profitable is laughable. You've proclaimed the same thing over and over again but it still makes absolutely no logical sense.

This is nothing but a gouge. and attempt at dissuading anyone from using P&C The hotel opened as the Baht was strengthening having moved to 34 THB/USD. Yet their rate is 38+!!!! THB is now at 31+ and the rate is still at 38+.

And please stop with this idea of the hotel charging in USD at $125... it isn't happening regardless of what occurred for you 'years ago'. When making a reservation it is clearly denoted what you'll pay in the local currency.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
PH BKK is out of touch. Look at the rates for today:

Park King

16,150 THB Member Rate
20,800 Standard Rate for King Deluxe (Kind not available - weird)
10,000 pts + 4800 THB ($152,50) C&P
20,000 Points

NUTS!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
PH BKK is out of touch. Look at the rates for today:

Park King

16,150 THB Member Rate
20,800 Standard Rate for King Deluxe (Kind not available - weird)
10,000 pts + 4800 THB ($152,50) C&P
20,000 Points

NUTS!
I think the rates are high due to Chinese New Year, a lot of hotels are packed and charging very high rates. I was at the PH Bangkok for two nights and just left yesterday (I cut my stay short by 2 days), The rate they were charging was 17,000 THB for a Park King - so I used points and an expiring suite upgrade. Was given a suite on 29th floor. Very narrow and a bit cramped. Staff are ok, they are very young and not very sophisticated. Too many staff standing around doing nothing, and asking the same question of all guests every day each time - "Where you come from".

I was shocked and surprised that they charged me for room service breakfast despite the fact the restaurant was packed with screaming kids and you had to wait for a table. After complaining, the breakfast charge (and all other charges for room service) were promptly removed from the bill.

Room service menu is very limited, housekeeping staff not good at all and I saw and killed two bugs (one a roach) in the room.

I left two days early to go to the Kempinski. - using Chase Reserve points. Much better over here and I do plan to address the roach/bug issue with my private Hyatt senior management contact because that is not acceptable.

I assume after the holiday, rates will lower back to normal range, but this is my second and last itime at the PHB.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I think the rates are high due to Chinese New Year, a lot of hotels are packed and charging very high rates. I was at the PH Bangkok for two nights and just left yesterday (I cut my stay short by 2 days), The rate they were charging was 17,000 THB for a Park King - so I used points and an expiring suite upgrade. Was given a suite on 29th floor. Very narrow and a bit cramped. Staff are ok, they are very young and not very sophisticated. Too many staff standing around doing nothing, and asking the same question of all guests every day each time - "Where you come from".

I was shocked and surprised that they charged me for room service breakfast despite the fact the restaurant was packed with screaming kids and you had to wait for a table. After complaining, the breakfast charge (and all other charges for room service) were promptly removed from the bill.

Room service menu is very limited, housekeeping staff not good at all and I saw and killed two bugs (one a roach) in the room.

I left two days early to go to the Kempinski. - using Chase Reserve points. Much better over here and I do plan to address the roach/bug issue with my private Hyatt senior management contact because that is not acceptable.

I assume after the holiday, rates will lower back to normal range, but this is my second and last itime at the PHB.
Disgusting. I checked in at the Athenee for a friend yesterday which was rather pleasant. There is a shortage of professional staff in the hospitality industry in BKK which is a huge problem for the hotels. The good people pretty much have a pick and I know of 3 individuals that quit the Park Hyatt just a few months after it opened.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I never thought I'd see roach and PH in the same sentence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.