Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Disgusting. I checked in at the Athenee for a friend yesterday which was rather pleasant. There is a shortage of professional staff in the hospitality industry in BKK which is a huge problem for the hotels. The good people pretty much have a pick and I know of 3 individuals that quit the Park Hyatt just a few months after it opened.
The superstars are to be found at The Siam and MO, naturally!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scented
The superstars are to be found at The Siam and MO, naturally!
Not necessarily. They work wherever the pay is best and there are monthly industry insider newsletters in Bangkok where the service charge pay is highest.

There is no such thing as brand prestige here, same as in China. Wherever the pay high at the end of the month people are trying to get in.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aventine
I never thought I'd see roach and PH in the same sentence.
Well that's the problem with tropical countries that have a certain drainage and hygiene issue like it is the case in Bangkok. The entire building has a roach problem and that includes the Central Embassy Mall as well. Last week I saw a rat in the food court downstairs.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsquared37
First off, the rate they are charging is 4800 THB. Secondly, the amount of P&C rooms being sold are probably miniscule to none; claiming the hotel is setting their exchange for P&C in order to make the hotel profitable is laughable. You've proclaimed the same thing over and over again but it still makes absolutely no logical sense.

This is nothing but a gouge. and attempt at dissuading anyone from using P&C The hotel opened as the Baht was strengthening having moved to 34 THB/USD. Yet their rate is 38+!!!! THB is now at 31+ and the rate is still at 38+.

And please stop with this idea of the hotel charging in USD at $125... it isn't happening regardless of what occurred for you 'years ago'. When making a reservation it is clearly denoted what you'll pay in the local currency.
I never looked at C&P at The PH, so I had no idea that they would only charge the $ part in THB . Again be it The PH or a SR I would think if the other hotels belonging to the same chain have much lower XE rates per $1 that corp might step in, if theres only 1 hotel for a chain then pretty much stuck.

That said I would assume that any hotel would see more Rev from a C&P over a points stay, if thats true shouldnt the hotel be trying to get out of people using all pts over C&P?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Well that's the problem with tropical countries that have a certain drainage and hygiene issue like it is the case in Bangkok. The entire building has a roach problem and that includes the Central Embassy Mall as well. Last week I saw a rat in the food court downstairs.
Out of sight. Out of mind.
Indonesia was the same way. Saw a roach at the GC at the GH there.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:16 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craz
they probably ran out of dog and cat and that rat got away before they were able to kill it
What a hideous and racist post.
LIH Prem and gspurr like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by craz
I never looked at C&P at The PH, so I had no idea that they would only charge the $ part in THB . Again be it The PH or a SR I would think if the other hotels belonging to the same chain have much lower XE rates per $1 that corp might step in, if theres only 1 hotel for a chain then pretty much stuck.

That said I would assume that any hotel would see more Rev from a C&P over a points stay, if thats true shouldnt the hotel be trying to get out of people using all pts over C&P?
After checking various dates today, it appears that the PH BKK is now charging 4125 THB (down from 4800 THB) and 10000 points for P&C per night for a standard room. Although not a particularly great value, it appears to be fair. At least 4125 THB is reasonably close to the THB:USD exchange rate, currently about $131 USD (Cat 5 should be $125 & 10000 points per night). The previous PH BKK P&C pricing (4800 THB and 10000 points) does not appear to be anything related to DCC or other exchange rate factors, but rather pricing which the hotel had chosen.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Friendly tip, if you don't want to walk past the front desk. Go thru the pool level and walk to the elevator thru the dining area.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by conde
pricing which the hotel had chosen.
Correct, the hotel sets the exchange rate.

I still give credit to Hyatt for indicating the local rate prior to booking. This is in stark contrast to SPG where a cash and point booking leaves the guest in the dark until checkin to find out what they will be charged in the local currency.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazieman
Friendly tip, if you don't want to walk past the front desk. Go thru the pool level and walk to the elevator thru the dining area.
Uhmmm why?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:09 am

I'm gonna guess "unregistered guests"...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Correct, the hotel sets the exchange rate.

I still give credit to Hyatt for indicating the local rate prior to booking. This is in stark contrast to SPG where a cash and point booking leaves the guest in the dark until checkin to find out what they will be charged in the local currency.
I always demand the correct exchange rate per XE app if my rate is priced in foreign currency on the reservation. Never had an issue.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by krazieman
Trust me - front desk staff are clueless - you can walk an entire football team by them and they will not react.
krazieman and ctrlf like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SethLevy
Trust me - front desk staff are clueless - you can walk an entire football team by them and they will not react.
I don't mean to judge, but that's quite the fetish you have there... just kidding

For a few reasons, mostly due to my own poor planning, I'm going to have to use my free night anywhere certificate at this hotel. Hope it isn't as bad as people are saying.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I don't mean to judge, but that's quite the fetish you have there... just kidding

For a few reasons, mostly due to my own poor planning, I'm going to have to use my free night anywhere certificate at this hotel. Hope it isn't as bad as people are saying.
I just did the same with the cert that expired on Feb 28. It was fine but I wouldn't stay when my points or cash were on the line.

Staff was good, plentiful and attentive. The Globby-hour extended a choice of 2 reds (Shiraz & Merlot) or two whites (Chardonnay & Sauvingon Blanc) or draught beer. The little finger food tray was better than expected though small and only 1. That's 6-8PM. Breakfast appeared good but a late night out resulted in a small breakfast window before needing to leave for an appointment so didn't get to have a good feel for it. Staff delivered a welcome fruit plate of two slices of watermelon, half mango and two slices papaya shortly after arrival. Water in room was plentiful.

Was able to get a room at noon when I arrived and given a suite. One would think, as staff appeared to be salivating over having a Glob at the desk (I've never had any checkin use the term so frequently!), something better than a 12th floor suite would be in the works but no, lowest floor of rooms overlooking the bar, train and bank building across the street. No, I didn't hear the train or street noise but having lived in a number of noisy places it just no longer registers. And no I didn't complain about the room, they gave me a suite, albeit perhaps an undesired one, it is what it is. Room was decent size, nice bathroom, but whoever decided to put the closet, safe, draws and bag shelf next to the front door of a suite should be flogged and made to listen to the NY Ranger's Sam Rosen for eternity. There's no excuse for positioning the closest across the main room from the bedroom. With so many windows facing south I don't know if the a/c could handle an April day, thankfully we had 2 hours of midday rain (lovely dry season weather) so no problem on that front.

The only hitch I can think of was, at checkin, I was asked if I wanted turn down service and said yes, but after 6PM. He asked if 7PM would work and I agreed. So, at 5:15PM, a moment after getting back from the gym - the bell rang for turn down. I simply asked the woman to come back at 7 and after Globby-hour the room was done so no harm no foul, but if you're going to ask at checkin then you should damned well follow through. Otherwise don't bother asking. Not a big problem but self inflicted by the hotel.

I did not use the pool but I did use the gym, as alluded to above, and came away ambivalent. A large space with great views over the British Embassy grounds and north but equipment wise it didn't stack up with the Conrad and GHE and other better gyms. It wasn't Aloft level but it wasn't what I'd expect for a hotel who's entry rooms are north of 10K THB.

As for accessing rooms without going through the front desk area: it's a bit of a bottleneck and might be best avoided even without company in tow during busy checkin/checkout times.

Oh, and finally, if you want to use BTS before 10AM when the mall opens (or after it closes as well) you need to go outside, cross Wittayu and walk up the stairs. That's a poorly thought out scenario.
craigthemif likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.