Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Yikes! I had expected that to be true based on reports here and elsewhere. But your bluntness stuns even me! Thanks for that!
For what it's worth Ive spent well over 50 nights at both hotels. The service at the St Regis I would say is a cut above PH, but I stay at the PH almost exclusively now. I love the hotel and have had nothing but fantastic stays.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Final stay notes.

- Aircon cold as a Fall day.
- BTS noise was very gentle. Certainly nothing like the Spa Cottage at GH Erawan.
- Breakfast plentiful and seemingly unlimited. Very high quality produce.
- Pool chairs almost full at 10am.
escape4 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:03 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by jinrop
For what it's worth Ive spent well over 50 nights at both hotels. The service at the St Regis I would say is a cut above PH, but I stay at the PH almost exclusively now.
Can you please elaborate in what ways you think PH > StR which makes you come back?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:34 am

So would you or anyone else be able to compare the PH vs the StR?
Do you have Globalist status at Hyatt? And out of interest, do you have Diamond status at Hilton and/or Platinum status at Accor? A more complete comparison would be PH vs StR vs WA, which I could provide. I could lump in Banyan Tree as well which is arguably Accor's top property in Bangkok but it's a notch below the other three. The upcoming Orient Express (who was supposed to be Bangkok EDITION) will probably mean Accor gets a hotel which can compete with Park Hyatt too.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Moved from an 18th floor corner room that came with a humid mold smell in the closet and bathroom area. 17th floor suite has very tepid water pressure.
I am surprised they did not give you the suite to begin with especially a one-night stay.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
I am surprised they did not give you the suite to begin with especially a one-night stay.
A lot of things here boggle the mind.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:32 pm

Can you please elaborate in what ways you think PH > StR which makes you come back?
I think the hard product suits my tastes more (from a design standpoint) and I like the location better. I always book a park deluxe suite and just really love the room, modern and minimalist just resonates better with me. St regis has a more polished soft product (honestly the service is fantastic) but the park hyatt has always been very good.
bhrubin and escape4 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:45 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Do you have Globalist status at Hyatt? And out of interest, do you have Diamond status at Hilton and/or Platinum status at Accor? A more complete comparison would be PH vs StR vs WA, which I could provide. I could lump in Banyan Tree as well which is arguably Accor's top property in Bangkok but it's a notch below the other three. The upcoming Orient Express (who was supposed to be Bangkok EDITION) will probably mean Accor gets a hotel which can compete with Park Hyatt too.
I’m unsure what you’re aiming for. I only wanted the opinion of someone who had stayed often at both the StR and PH. Status wasn’t a factor for my query, but you’re welcome to add if you’ve stayed often at the two?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:46 pm

I’m unsure what you’re aiming for.
Pretty sure he means that with ambassador at StR you will have an infinitely better stay than at the park hyatt if you don't have globalist status (upgrades/breakfast etc)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:54 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Pretty sure he means that with ambassador at StR you will have an infinitely better stay than at the park hyatt if you don't have globalist status (upgrades/breakfast etc)
In truth, that wasn’t at all what I was going for. I’ve just heard too many issues here and in the Luxury Hotels Forum about service and F&B at this PH; I only wanted to get a better and reliable sense from one who has stayed often at both the StR and PH.

For the record, I easily can use points to get a standard suite or even a premier suite at the PH regardless of Globalist status. I am not one to pick a hotel based on whether or not I can get free breakfast, so that’s not a factor here for me at all.

That’s also how I enjoyed such nice stays at the PH Sydney and PH Istanbul.

So for me, the question remained: was this PH Bangkok really comparable to the StR Bangkok in terms of soft product? Apparently, the answer is a resounding no.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:59 pm

I’m unsure what you’re aiming for. I only wanted the opinion of someone who had stayed often at both the StR and PH. Status wasn’t a factor for my query, but you’re welcome to add if you’ve stayed often at the two?
Sorry if I was not very clear to begin with. When comparing two hotels, I usually consider status in the equation otherwise it might be an imbalanced comparison. It's fair to compare Ambassador treatment at StR to Globalist treatment at PH especially when assessing the value of the room upgrade you will get. In any particular city, perhaps StR or PH will be the better bet, but the equation might change for someone with status at only one of the two.

I can see from your subsequent comments that you were only asking the question in terms of soft product, in this case status is less important. I will post a more extensive review of PH in a few days and I will make more extensive comments about StR vs PH in the luxury thread rather than here later on, but for the moment I would suggest that Waldorf Astoria might actually be the best of the three for soft product so you might throw it into your list of potential choices for your upcoming trip. See section "service" in this review of WA BKK
http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...customers-3310

Exactly. Personally I care about room upgrades because all else being equal it means I am getting incrementally better value relative to what I paid. There are not that many cities where it will be better to book a Hyatt without Globalist status than the top Marriott property with AMB status. Sydney and Zurich come to mind, but there is no StR or RC in those cities.

So for me, the question remained: was this PH Bangkok really comparable to the StR Bangkok in terms of soft product? Apparently, the answer is a resounding no.
Correct. That said, StR Bangkok is good but not great so temper your expectations; relative to other StR of the world this is not one of the best. There are plenty of people who prefer Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit or Athenee instead so it illustrates that StR is not hitting it out of the park and Bangkok has two LCs which are quite good options not far behind StR.

Originally Posted by Aventine
Service levels at the StR are much higher and you're likely to get a top suite.
Not sure how you define "top suite", but I think a first time Ambassador guest at StR will probably be upgraded to the Met Suite or Grand Met Suite, but no more. Some very frequent guests have reported getting the StR suite or Caroline Astor suite but it's not the norm. At PH they are obviously hit & miss regarding suite upgrades for Globalists - the fact that you did not receive a suite upgrade to begin with on your most recent stay was wrong.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There are not that many cities where it will be better to book a Hyatt without Globalist status than the top Marriott property with AMB status. Sydney and Zurich come to mind, but there is no StR or RC in those cities.
I will chime in on PH Zurich, having stayed there several times now as a non-Globalist, the service remains fantastic, especially now that they seem to consider me a regular. If only other properties offered such high standards for all their guests.

Correct. That said, StR Bangkok is good but not great so temper your expectations; relative to other StR of the world this is not one of the best. There are plenty of people who prefer Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit or Athenee instead so it illustrates that StR is not hitting it out of the park and Bangkok has two LCs which are quite good options not far behind StR.
IMO SGS is better in several respects, including more consistent service. Though the hard product is a level below.

Not sure how you define "top suite", but I think a first time Ambassador guest at StR will probably be upgraded to the Met Suite or Grand Met Suite, but no more.
Agree. And you really need to get up to CA suite before they get impressive (IMO).
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:45 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Sorry if I was not very clear to begin with. When comparing two hotels, I usually consider status in the equation otherwise it might be an imbalanced comparison. It's fair to compare Ambassador treatment at StR to Globalist treatment at PH especially when assessing the value of the room upgrade you will get. In any particular city, perhaps StR or PH will be the better bet, but the equation might change for someone with status at only one of the two.

I can see from your subsequent comments that you were only asking the question in terms of soft product, in this case status is less important. I will post a more extensive review of PH in a few days and I will make more extensive comments about StR vs PH in the luxury thread rather than here later on, but for the moment I would suggest that Waldorf Astoria might actually be the best of the three for soft product so you might throw it into your list of potential choices for your upcoming trip. See section "service" in this review of WA BKK
I am sorry to say that most Globalists grossly underestimate what those without any Hyatt status can still enjoy.

I’ve stayed at many PH properties without top status and still have been able to get amazing suites or certainly nice room upgrades. At the PH Istanbul, I used points to get a suite...and then leveraged that and service recovery to get a specialty Terrace Suite. At the PH Sydney, I got a nice category outside to a spacious city view room. At the PH Chicago, I just used points to get a suite. At the PH Bangkok, I certainly don’t need any status to get a nice suite; a premium suite award should do the trick quite easily.

Having a free breakfast benefit is nice, but it’s hardly more important to me than a hotel offering better service overall and better food/beverage.

In the case of this PH Bangkok, I’d heard many reports here and especially in the Luxury Hotels Forum that suggest the StR is superior to the PH. Seeing those same reports here from people who stay often at both reinforces those reports.

Considering I happen to be an Ambassador elite with Marriott, that together with the above reports now seals the deal for me for the StR, understandably.

Thanks for the WA suggestion. After disappointing stays with enough WAs, I think I’ll leave the Hilton universe to others more brave than me.

Exactly. Personally I care about room upgrades because all else being equal it means I am getting incrementally better value relative to what I paid. There are not that many cities where it will be better to book a Hyatt without Globalist status than the top Marriott property with AMB status. Sydney and Zurich come to mind, but there is no StR or RC in those cities.
Actually, to be honest, there are not that many cities where it will be better to book a Hyatt with Globalist status than the top Marriott property with Ambassador status. That’s partly because there just aren’t that many cities/locations with top tier Hyatt properties compared with the massively largely number of cities/locations with top tier Marriott properties...and partly because Ambassador at top tier properties like StR, RC, and Luxury Collection, not to mention Edition and W, generally gets one more elevated treatment and better upgrades on average than Hyatt Globalist even at the rarer PH and Andaz properties.

StR Bangkok is good but not great so temper your expectations; relative to other StR of the world this is not one of the best. There are plenty of people who prefer Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit or Athenee instead so it illustrates that StR is not hitting it out of the park and Bangkok has two LCs which are quite good options not far behind StR.
Thanks. Actually, the reason IME that so many Marriott elites prefer the SGS or Athenee has little to do with hard product or soft product and everything to do with there being a good lounge. The other reasons are that the StR costs more and/or isn’t located where some prefer. I could care less about lounges; I prefer room service. (A lovely Globalist benefit to get room service breakfast, but again I don’t care about that as much as overall luxury hard product and service.)

That many Marriott elites may prefer the SGS or Athenee also does little to make the PH look any better IMO!

Not sure how you define "top suite", but I think a first time Ambassador guest at StR will probably be upgraded to the Met Suite or Grand Met Suite, but no more. Some very frequent guests have reported getting the StR suite or Caroline Astor suite but it's not the norm. At PH they are obviously hit & miss regarding suite upgrades for Globalists - the fact that you did not receive a suite upgrade to begin with on your most recent stay was wrong.
I’m quite confident that I would get a very nice suite at the StR as an Ambassador guest, surely. My record on suite upgrades, particularly at luxury hotels, is probably unmatched among most Ambassador elites, actually. But I don’t need the guarantee of any specialty suite, even though I often get those. I just need a good assurance of a nice suite, and the StR Bangkok happens to have an excellent record in that regard.

Regardless, I am most grateful to the Hyatt members here who have so much experience with both the StR and PH. Most of the Marriott members seem to stick to the aforementioned properties. This discussion here has allowed me the comparison and contrast I needed.

Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:38 pm

I have a few additional comments but they might not be PH BKK specific enough to keep here, so I will respond in the luxury hotel thread if that's ok...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually didn't mind the corner room. Had decent space and views but the moldy BO smell was nauseating. Big enough to be a Junior suite.

I am sorry to say that most Globalists grossly underestimate what those without any Hyatt status can still enjoy.

I’ve stayed at many PH properties without top status and still have been able to get amazing suites or certainly nice room upgrades. At the PH Istanbul, I used points to get a suite...and then leveraged that and service recovery to get a specialty Terrace Suite. At the PH Sydney, I got a nice category outside to a spacious city view room. At the PH Chicago, I just used points to get a suite. At the PH Bangkok, I certainly don’t need any status to get a nice suite; a premium suite award should do the trick quite easily.

Thanks. Actually, the reason IME that so many Marriott elites prefer the SGS or Athenee has little to do with hard product or soft product and everything to do with there being a good lounge. The other reasons are that the StR costs more and/or isn’t located where some prefer. I could care less about lounges; I prefer room service. (A lovely Globalist benefit to get room service breakfast, but again I don’t care about that as much as overall luxury hard product and service.)
Very few Hyatt properties are giving Globalists Room service breakfast now. I don't think this PH is doing it?
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 13, 2019 at 12:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.