Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Well I cant believe Im gonna say this about a hotel, there was 1 major negative item, that I didnt know about till now that Im back in NY.I actually miss the place! The entire staff CARES, be it Caroline,Yeniu,Pek or Pieree the exec chef at The Embassy (breakfast) who goes from table to table, making sure you got what you ordered and it came as you asked it to be made.And its not only the food, he will opin if you ask about anything and if he doesnt have the answer he will find it out for you

Ive been to my share of top hotels and the staff will ask hows everything going and say to themselves , hopefully they wont need any assistance. You wont find that at The PH BKK, it was my 1st time there and yet I felt like family and that every employee did CARE and wanted to do whatever in order to make sure each and every guest was happy and satisfied.

No Im not an owner or employee or being paid to write this, I already miss walking thru the hotel and being greeted by the many employees that I met over my 3 night stay and this morning when I went down in HKG to get the shuttle to the terminal, I felt a void, there were employees all over the place but its as if I wasnt there, that never would have happened at The PH BKK. Its just not the same not seeing Caroline or Yeni or Pek among the others

I cant comment on if the hotel is worth any extra $$ over the others, thats an individual thing. But no one should not go here because at 1 time there was a smell problem, yes they admitted there was one but it has been taken care of and there may be some noise from the outside with the rooms facing towards the BTS, so email them asking to be blocked into a room facing the other way, problem solved

I havnet stayed at the GH so I cant compare the 2, but among the other PHs Ive stayed at BKK is at the top and in my opinion worth giving it another try if your 1st time ran into problems, not only do they have their act together but they are always striving to do better all the time. and unlike the GH from posts Ive read, Breakfast is in the restaurant even for 1st timers and not limited to frequent stayers
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craz
Breakfast is in the restaurant even for 1st timers and not limited to frequent stayers
Where else would it be? This property has no lounge.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Where else would it be? This property has no lounge.
My point was there is a back and forth on The GH thread where it seems those who stay there on a reg basis were offered breakfast in the restaurant and not the lounge and some who have stayed numerous times never were offered to eat in the restaurant, instead of the lounge.

Maybe the PH could have set aside a room instead but didnt
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
My point was there is a back and forth on The GH thread where it seems those who stay there on a reg basis were offered breakfast in the restaurant and not the lounge and some who have stayed numerous times never were offered to eat in the restaurant, instead of the lounge.

Maybe the PH could have set aside a room instead but didnt
If a Hyatt hotel doesn't have a lounge then breakfast for Globs is served in the restaurant. Full stop.

What is this hypothetical on 'setting aside a room'?
synd likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsquared37
If a Hyatt hotel doesn't have a lounge then breakfast for Globs is served in the restaurant. Full stop.

What is this hypothetical on 'setting aside a room'?
just that with some other programs I was told since there wasnt a lounge I can take bteakfast in a room that was set up for it or at a specific restaurant when there was more then 1.

But the past few days there has been back and forth on the GH thread how some Globs who were very frequent stayers were given breakfast in a restaurant and not the lounge.

Ive seen the food in some hotels that must have been sitting there for a while and was kept warm and not freshly made. eg this morn @ Marriott HKG there was someone making eggs as you wanted and not having to take them from a chaffing dish that was sitting out there for hours in their lounge. Ive lifted up many a top to see whatever is in there was very dry and seemed hard on top and not to fresh

My main point is yes this hotel seems to have had some very major negative things that happened when they 1st opened up and I agree a hotel such as a PH shouldnt have had them. And to an extent they resolved them or as in the case with then rooms facing the front or BTS are trying to find a solution to the noise problem, could be they will or wont ever, and an answer maybe simply making sure the room you get will face the back where I didnt encounter any outside noise.

Now some others will say for the amount of pts or $$$ per night they rather stay elsewhere, for some the Hyatt Place (or is it House) will be their answer since both the amount of pts or $$ is alot less and they will still earn Night credit fora lot less out of pocket. Others are satisfied with the GH while others will make the new HR their home. To each their own all I wanted to convey was that anyone reading this thread to decide if they should stay at The PH (no different then I did) will probably say No Way, due to all the negative reports and had it still been that way theyd be correct in staying away.All I want to do is say hey yes they had some major problems most have been solved and they are running a top notch op.

so if the $$ or amount of pts needed isnt in ones ball park by all means stay by the GH or HP or soon to open HR. Now are there comparable level hotels that are less $$ and a better bang for the buck, I already said above thread I wont comment since I dont know and Im sure some folks who dont care if they are staying at a Hyatt or not will chose maybe by which ever rate is the lowest.

Last edited by craz; Feb 2, 2018 at 12:37 am
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
just that with some other programs I was told since there wasnt a lounge I can take bteakfast in a room that was set up for it or at a specific restaurant when there was more then 1.

But the past few days there has been back and forth on the GH thread how some Globs who were very frequent stayers were given breakfast in a restaurant and not the lounge.
I'll only address this since the remainder of your post is tangential to this tangent.

We're not dealing with other programs, only Hyatt. As to the GH I think you're reading it wrong and it appears to come down to communication more than anything. Some who've had the welcome letter delineating breakfast in the resto are far from frequent guests. However you look at it GHE is still giving breakfast in either the lounge or the restaurant. PH has no lounge so you get it in the restaurant. This is not something to write home about or praise the hotel over.
LIH Prem, synd, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:31 am

Not surprised PH BKK shines if it is now being compared to Marriotts... not sure this was their goal.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
I visited PH recently for drinks and was it was pleasant. Perhaps my expectations were low after all the trashing it took on this thread. Stayed at GH; unfortunately StR was booked out one day of my visit.

- No sewer smell I could detect in the public areas, from driveway, to lobby their sprawling top floor / rooftop bars.
- Whiskey bar staff were excellent, recommended a whiskey as they were out of my usual, and could hold their own in a conversation. Could not ask for anything more, anywhere.
- Bar staff proactively asks if I need help, and
- Pricing on points or cash does seem over the top compared to competitors at this time. Others have covered cash, but for points - St Regis is 12k SPG vs 20k HGP. SPG offers 1 night free for every 5 nights booked (bringing it to 10k SPG). This could be the new shiny hotel syndrome and might go away after a couple newer properties in the same league opens up.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by scented
Not surprised PH BKK shines if it is now being compared to Marriotts... not sure this was their goal.
Based on everything I've read, I'd choose Marriott FS or Marquis over PH Bangkok.

Sounds to me like OP confused normal Thai service culture with something extraordinary. I've had similar experiences throughout Thailand at properties of all types.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Based on everything I've read, I'd choose Marriott FS or Marquis over PH Bangkok.

Sounds to me like OP confused normal Thai service culture with something extraordinary. I've had similar experiences throughout Thailand at properties of all types.
Thats why Baskin Robbins has (had) 31 flavors so that each person can have what they like
It was my 1st time to Thailand but not my 1st PH stay, my other 3 hotels I stayed at in BKK , were far from a Hyatt standard and I got what was paid for, nothing
Had I known that The Marquis was where its at I would have gone there for Fri-Sun as it was 5 mins closer to where I had to be at walking wise, for some reason it wasnt on the google map that I was sent and I thought it was around the JW area

So my next trip it will be The Marquis for Fri-Sun and the PH for the rest of the time, The PH is just way to far to walk from and I can only walk on Fri/Sat, otherwise it would be The PH for the whole stay
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
spent a 2-night staycation earlier this month. (just tried to burn a TSU, 2 more still left in my account)

after reading most reviews here, i kept my expectation low.

arrived at hotel around 1pm, my suite (confirmed to a park deluxe suite) was not ready.

without asking, fd agent sent me and my mom to the living room to have complimentary afternoon tea. very nice gesture and i'm appreciated.

he also did further upgrade my suite to a gigantic park executive suite which was nice though nothing special.

the suite has nice city view and the view of british embassy and the pool below, no sound or smell problem at all.

almost every staff i met were very nice and helpful without pretending. great service all around.

breakfast at the embassy room is included for globalist. though not much variety like the athenee or sgs, it is more than enough and well presented.

the food and service were all very good too.

re about happy hour at the bar which is complimentary for globalist, i suggest you can skip it. they offered free flow of some beers, white or red wine AND a platter of finger food (2 pieces of mini spring rools, mini hamburgers, and chicken satays), that's it. however the service and staff at the bar were great.

didn't try the pool (the weather was quite chilly) but had a look at the gym. i found it adequate and well equipped with new machines as it should be for a newly opened hotel. also toured the male locker room, they have steam room and jacuzzi inside (but no sauna).

didn't use the concierge at all as im a local. didn't try the penthouse bar and grill either (tried to keep minimum expense).

overall it was a very nice and enjoyable stay, much better than my expectation. i think the hotel tried to step up their game to compete with other luxury options in BKK.

However i think at this price point (>10K+++ THB/night), it's not worth it.

If i have to pay that amount of money for a hotel room, i would pick MO or suite at STR anyday.

p.s. sorry for my poor english.
synd and Kalboz like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
However i think at this price point (>10K+++ THB/night), it's not worth it.

If i have to pay that amount of money for a hotel room, i would pick MO or suite at STR anyday.
I would agree, but I'd say that either an MO base room or a suite at the St Regis will more commonly cost you around 20K THB a night...
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:01 am

That's not exactly what's going on there, and I'm still not sure what it has to do with the PH. GH has a very nice lounge with breakfast. PHs do not have lounges.

GH added the restaurant breakfast option to the benefits letter at some point recently, and several people didn't know it. (Some people maybe didn't get the letter and/or didn't read it.)

Some people had restaurant breakfast included in their corp rate previously so they already had that benefit.

-David
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:59 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
PHs do not have lounges.
PH MEL, CBR and HAM do....
craigthemif likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:14 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
spent a 2-night staycation earlier this month. (just tried to burn a TSU, 2 more still left in my account)

p.s. sorry for my poor english.
Your English if fine - Thank you for the detailed report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.