Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
PH looks okay, but I can't say I am all that excited by it. I already love the Erawan, and riverside hotels like Peninsula and Mandarin Oriental.
Will the PH ever be able to live up to the likes of The Siam or Oriental? I don't think so. Rather trying to lure away couple of guests from Heinecke's (very mediocre) St Regis.
Old May 7, 2016, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by scented
Will the PH ever be able to live up to the likes of The Siam or Oriental? I don't think so. Rather trying to lure away couple of guests from Heinecke's (very mediocre) St Regis.
I agree. And I am not even sure the PH will be nicer than the excellent GH Erawan at suite or Spa Cottage level.
Old May 7, 2016, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It will be new and attached to a nice new very upscale shopping mall (that isn't very large) as well as a BTS station. It's also closer (walkable) to the "action" around the SGS, but of course farther from the large shopping mall.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:33 pm

And I love the Erawan because it is one of the oldest hotels in the CBD, occupies the best location among all of them, and is a beautiful hotel that has been kept up to date with renovations.

It's also part of the Erawan complex that houses high-end shopping, and has the closest proximity to shopping at Central World and Siam Pragon.
Old May 8, 2016, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And I love the Erawan because it is one of the oldest hotels in the CBD, occupies the best location among all of them, and is a beautiful hotel that has been kept up to date with renovations.

It's also part of the Erawan complex that houses high-end shopping, and has the closest proximity to shopping at Central World and Siam Pragon.
What stands out for me at Erawan is the service. Stay here twice as a Diamond and you're treated as a regular by front desk and club staff. They should send PH NYC staff here to learn what true 5* service looks like.
Old May 8, 2016, 1:58 am

I fully agree. Erawan feels like family and has become part of society in BKK. It is an institution - few hotels can claim that.

Park Hyatt will take years to live up to that, if ever. And located in a skyscraper it will never remotely achieve that resort feel that the Erawan has, just a totally different blueprint. The Spa Cottages that were added are now a trademark and something of a hotel within a hotel. Very special.

I am wondering about Park Hyatt's F&B concept, I also think they'll push MICE and do a bit more corporate events compared to Erawan. Has anyone heard about plans for butler service at PH?

Usually a Grand Hyatt can't (by nature) offer a service that personal. However, with the Club level and the Spa Cottages they have found a way around this. Erawan underpromises and overdelivers, which is great - a good GM and Thai hospitality have helped tremendously.

Last edited by scented; May 8, 2016 at 2:07 am
Old May 8, 2016, 2:23 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Let's see what the PH focuses on once opened. I would agree that the St. Regis is the target. The better location may help it compete successfully.
Old May 8, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
As a local, i'm really looking forward to stay at PH. Just wanna try something new. (My home is in sukhumvit area which is quite close to both hotels anyways)

I agreed that service at GH tends to be very good (especially for you guys from abroad). However i feel the hardware needs a lot more work to do. (granted that i've never stayed in a suite or a spa cottage before).

P.S. I would pick the St. Regis over GH bkk anytime, except i need to do the mattress run with Hyatt to maintain Diamond.
Old May 8, 2016, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
P.S. I would pick the St. Regis over GH bkk anytime, except i need to do the mattress run with Hyatt to maintain Diamond.
I beg to differ. StR is a badly managed, run-down hotel. Except for the Penthouse, which is technically part of the Residences, the hardware is not to the highest standard and so is the service. They are cutting costs wherever they can right now. I still enjoy JoJo's every once in a while and the Concierge Team under Khun Atiphol is amazing, the rest -- not so much. Can't hold a candle to GH. And I think Park Hyatt can easily offer a better experience than StR.
Old May 8, 2016, 6:03 am

I totally agree with the above comments. I will also add that Anatara Siam Bangkok is a better option than StR. Unfortunately, it does seem service and management is no longer what it was under FS management, but nevertheless I consider it and the GH Erawan to be the best hotels in central Bangkok.
Old May 8, 2016, 6:43 am

I totally agree with the above comments. I will also add that Anatara Siam Bangkok is a better option than StR. Unfortunately, it does seem service and management is no longer what it was under FS management, but nevertheless I consider it and the GH Erawan to be the best hotels in central Bangkok.
Do you think this could have to do with Titiya Chooto's departure?
Old May 8, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I beg to differ. StR is a badly managed, run-down hotel. Except for the Penthouse, which is technically part of the Residences, the hardware is not to the highest standard and so is the service. They are cutting costs wherever they can right now. I still enjoy JoJo's every once in a while and the Concierge Team under Khun Atiphol is amazing, the rest -- not so much. Can't hold a candle to GH. And I think Park Hyatt can easily offer a better experience than StR.
Everybody has their own preference.

To me, st. regis is definitely not a 'run-down' hotel. Its hardware is still far superior than the GH.
Old May 8, 2016, 9:51 am

Do you think this could have to do with Titiya Chooto's departure?
Yes, as well as the recent turnover of other upper management. Nevertheless, at suitel level it is still a very good choice, easily better than StR.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:26 am

Man, waiting for any updates on this. I'm staying in Bangkok early-mid Feb 2017 and I'm still undecided on where to stay. The GH is a little further west than ideal, the PH is perfect.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Man, waiting for any updates on this. I'm staying in Bangkok early-mid Feb 2017 and I'm still undecided on where to stay. The GH is a little further west than ideal, the PH is perfect.
I'm in the same boat as you Dave =( I'm there early/mid Feb 2017. I haven't booked GH yet since the rate I'm looking at is nonrefundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.