Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by scented
Great to see so many recent reports here.

Personally think that these “vouchers” are not luxury — at all. Would be much more classy to just apply all discounts during checkout and save everyone from this stupid accounting game.
It appears to me that the property is losing ground in Paris in that market thus all these vouchers etc. I agree that maybe a simple discount applied at check out keyed to status would be a better option.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
It appears to me that the property is losing ground in Paris in that market thus all these vouchers etc. I agree that maybe a simple discount applied at check out keyed to status would be a better option.
This was my experience. I never even used the voucher and the 20% discount applied during checkout. Though, checking the app mid stay for current charges, the discount wasn't reflected, but, certainly was on the final bill.

So, now, we're supposed to show the voucher? And, if they take it, just go ask for another one? And, in addition, request the discount be applied during checkout if it hasn't been, even after surrendering the vouchers?

There's got to an easier & more elegant way to implement this.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:18 pm

They had the 20% off when I was there back in 2016. They just took off the charges at the restaurant.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skj
Thank you for the detailed review ! It sounds to me that even though it wasn't fabulous across the board, there were some memorable dishes and no real duds, except perhaps the Wagyu. I especially appreciate your thoughts about the wine parings, as sometimes you wonder what the sommelier was thinking ... other than I need to clear out these bottles.

I think we'll try it during our stay, and decide whether to go with one of the prix fixe options or al a carte when the menus are available. If nothing else, it will be nice to add another 3000 or so points as we get ever closer to lifetime Glob.
Please report back. I'm trying to decide whether to book a table for a stay in mid-July.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by phant0m
They had the 20% off when I was there back in 2016. They just took off the charges at the restaurant.
At the restaurant? Do you really mean at Pur?
Old May 22, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
This was my experience. I never even used the voucher and the 20% discount applied during checkout. Though, checking the app mid stay for current charges, the discount wasn't reflected, but, certainly was on the final bill.

So, now, we're supposed to show the voucher? And, if they take it, just go ask for another one? And, in addition, request the discount be applied during checkout if it hasn't been, even after surrendering the vouchers?

There's got to an easier & more elegant way to implement this.
Having some experience here when you encounter a situation like this it all falls on the GM and how they manage their staff, and this is differently a management issue. Apparently it seems that decisions regarding this "promotion" were not either thought or implemented properly sometimes good intentions have unintended consequences like this one. Ah for the the "good old days"
Old May 22, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
If you are a cheese fan, then yes! I think a main course followed by the cheese trolley would be a delightful way to go -- perhaps order a cocktail or a glass of champagne when you sit down to have with the amuse bouche etc., and then a glass of wine with the main. If you like port, ask about the dessert wine from Cyprus, they gave it to us with the cheese course and we thought it was very smooth and clean and complemented the cheeses perfectly.

As for whether it's allowed, I don't think anything reasonable is disallowed so long as you are willing to pay the appointed price -- this hotel seemed to get that part of the 5* treatment right, as far as I could tell.

Also, at checkout, the agent proactively checked each tab to make sure I had received the 20% discount (even after I assured him that I had). So perhaps, if you wanted, you could skip the whole "flash the voucher" charade and just wait until checkout to ask for the discount. (Personally, I found it strange that they didn't attach it to the room number and do it automatically, or have the hosts ask your room number when you sit down... although presumably they avoid doing that because of the number of non-hotel guests they seem to get.)
I did.

Very nice, friendly and proactive service (brought my glass of champagne from the bar, offered cushion, newspaper, etc).

Liked a lot the 3 canapes (2 portions of each even if on my own) and the cheese selection and quality.
A bit like you disappointed with the main (lobster) as too many ingredients/flavours in the plate masking the quality and perfect cooking of the lobster.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:00 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I ordered a 2 day Museum Pass using the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme E-Concierge web site. The listed price was € 42, and I fully expected the actual price to be € 48, which is the "official" price, available here: Paris Museum Pass | Official Website, as the passes had previously been offered with no markup. I received an email saying I could purchase them from the concierge when I arrive, and the price is now € 55. Oh well ...

Wiki updated ...

Last edited by skj; Jun 23, 2019 at 2:00 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by skj
I ordered a 2 day Museum Pass using the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme E-Concierge web site. The listed price was € 42, and I fully expected the actual price to be € 48, which is the "official" price, available here: Paris Museum Pass Official Website, as the passes had previously been offered with no markup. I received an email saying I could purchase them from the concierge when I arrive, and the price is now € 55. Oh well ...

Wiki updated ...
They should not be charging a markup on something like this. I would just buy it online at the official price.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by skj
I ordered a 2 day Museum Pass using the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme E-Concierge web site. The listed price was € 42, and I fully expected the actual price to be € 48, which is the "official" price, available here: Paris Museum Pass Official Website, as the passes had previously been offered with no markup. I received an email saying I could purchase them from the concierge when I arrive, and the price is now € 55. Oh well ...

Wiki updated ...
A few years ago we stayed at the PHV and they wanted a markup for the museum pass. Last October we bought museum passes at the official price from a tourist desk at CDG.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW, I was at the PHV a year ago and received 50% off breakfast as an Explorist. There didn’t seem to be any 20% vouchers in the lounge then.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

They should not be charging a markup on something like this. I would just buy it online at the official price.
there continues to be more and more "uncharges" at PHV I also notice that there is a decline in post which could conclude the stays are great or less are staying here which I think the latter is truer
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:20 am

If you buy it online, you either have to have it shipped (€ 24 to the US) or pick it up from one of two tourist offices (neither particularly convenient from the PHV). Why not just buy it at the airport if you're arriving at CDG or Orly or at the first convenient museum, unless one of those tourist offices really is convenient?

Outlets Paris Museum Pass
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
If you buy it online, you either have to have it shipped (€ 24 to the US) or pick it up from one of two tourist offices (neither particularly convenient from the PHV). Why not just buy it at the airport if you're arriving at CDG or Orly or at the first convenient museum, unless one of those tourist offices really is convenient?

Outlets Paris Museum Pass
Certainly, one should do whatever works best. My point was more that a good hotel should provide things like this at cost, as a convenience to guests. Adding a markup is not particularly classy.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:10 am

Certainly, one should do whatever works best. My point was more that a good hotel should provide things like this at cost, as a convenience to guests. Adding a markup is not particularly classy.
I agree completely. When I was there I found it offensive that they would ask more than list price. Nickling and diming guests is not something a luxury hotel should be doing.

However, ordering online does not seem the best idea.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by richarddd; Jun 24, 2019 at 11:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.