Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
I've been staying there 10-15 times a year for the last 3 years and never had a problem with renovation (have to say it was always during the week and leaving the room no later than 8amish). Only consequence for me is less room availabilities (keeping in mind Hotel du Louvre is still closed). Only issue last year was the housekeeping strike and demonstrations in front of the hotel but it's now over..
Ten - 15 times a year despite the "steady decline for many years" we hear about in this thread?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've been staying there 10-15 times a year for the last 3 years and never had a problem with renovation (have to say it was always during the week and leaving the room no later than 8amish). Only consequence for me is less room availabilities (keeping in mind Hotel du Louvre is still closed). Only issue last year was the housekeeping strike and demonstrations in front of the hotel but it's now over..
Thanks. Can you provide a little more detail on when you were last there and what construction was going on?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Ten - 15 times a year despite the "steady decline for many years" we hear about in this thread?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:07 pm

Property is not perfect (food offering, bathrooms, etc) but didn't notice a decline?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks. Can you provide a little more detail on when you were last there and what construction was going on?
3 weeks ago...didn't notice anything?
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:56 pm

When I was there right before Christmas parts of the hotel were closed for renovation. It was not noticeable to be honest. The biggest issue then was the housekeeping strike which wasn’t even that bad and the gillets jaunes protests.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by reigndrop
Would be helpful if someone could comment on the construction with a recent experience. I’m booked for four nights in mid August on points + TSU but will consider killing it if it’s a serious issue
I was just there a couple weeks ago. I stay there several times a year -- I guess that makes me positively biased toward the hotel, by definition. Still, my take is essentially that of Sophoclefr. There are sections of floors that are closed off for renovation, and the letter received at check-in "promises" continuing renovation work through 31 May. This most recent time, disturbance from renovation was sub-trivial. In fact, we commented on just how quiet the whole experience was, perhaps in function of the reduction of the footprint of the hotel.

Do I really think that the renovations will be done by 31 May? Not sure. Projects in Paris like the construction and prolongation of the T3 tramway go precisely according to announced schedule, but then those of us who are connoisseurs of luxury hotels are exquisitely placed to know how inferior the public sector is to the private sector. So maybe the work at the hotel will go even faster!

What I do know is that we are still looking forward to going back between now and then.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Apr 7, 2019 at 4:02 pm Reason: synapse malfunction: renovation, not reservation
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:46 pm

I still use my free Cat 7 nights here couple of times per year, if only to have dinner and do some shopping. I used to pay money for this property, but, from a less than stellar experience, I've stopped, and will only use them to redeem free nights. Whatever personal relationship I had or had built with this property is now meaningless, where I now treat them simply as a utility--nothing more and nothing less.

PS - The adage, you can do 99 good things, but if you mess on the 100th, a person will forget about the 99. The rates they charge, they should remember that, especially with guests who actually pay money.
Travlur likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Visconti
I still use my free Cat 7 nights here couple of times per year, if only to have dinner and do some shopping. I used to pay money for this property, but, from a less than stellar experience, I've stopped, and will only use them to redeem free nights. Whatever personal relationship I had or had built with this property is now meaningless, where I now treat them simply as a utility--nothing more and nothing less.

PS - The adage, you can do 99 good things, but if you mess on the 100th, a person will forget about the 99. The rates they charge, they should remember that, especially with guests who actually pay money.
I feel this way about PHs Seoul and Tokyo.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador

EXACTLY !
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

same for me, have only used points here. For the rates they charge, there are far more interesting properties
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Just checked in this afternoon, we didn't get upgraded from our Executive suite(TSU + Fee). We were pleasantly surprised to receive a bottle of wine and some cheese as a welcome gift.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by reigndrop
same for me, have only used points here. For the rates they charge, there are far more interesting properties
I'm contemplating using points in a couple weeks for an overnight. Cash rate is 995 Eur, which seems moderately insane. Currently booked on points at the W Opera, which has a reputation for smallish rooms.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm contemplating using points in a couple weeks for an overnight. Cash rate is 995 Eur, which seems moderately insane. Currently booked on points at the W Opera, which has a reputation for smallish rooms.
There is the Westin down the street from PHV or the Marriott Opera which is also a beautiful property. I think we all were excited when Claudio was transferred to the PHV but at least for this writer the results have been the dismal. As for rooms there are many rooms at the Park that tend to be small as well. The time we stayed there we had one and it was a postage stamp!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
There is the Westin down the street from PHV or the Marriott Opera which is also a beautiful property. I think we all were excited when Claudio was transferred to the PHV but at least for this writer the results have been the dismal. As for rooms there are many rooms at the Park that tend to be small as well. The time we stayed there we had one and it was a postage stamp!
Now that you mention it, I stayed at PHV shortly after the hotel opened and was given a very small room (on a very expensive rate).

Westin Vendome would be my first choice but is booked full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.