Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Interesting comment. Perhaps I don't get out much, but it may be the only hotel in the world where, if didn't know where I was and was walked into the room blindfolded, once the blindfold was removed, I would know exactly what city I was in and what hotel I was in.
I mean to say that it doesn't in any evoke Paris to me. It's bland and sterile and very little reflects the city in its decor. That anyone who has been there and knows it well isn't to what I was referring!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I mean to say that it doesn't in any evoke Paris to me. It's bland and sterile and very little reflects the city in its decor. That anyone who has been there and knows it well isn't to what I was referring!
I guess I understand some of that - kind of. I guess you were in a hurry. It may not evoke Paris to you but gold leaf, nude statuary and gold in the bathrooms isn't exactly bland. YMMV.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:17 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I guess I understand some of that - kind of. I guess you were in a hurry. It may not evoke Paris to you but gold leaf, nude statuary and gold in the bathrooms isn't exactly bland. YMMV.
I had a few stays there when I was a Diamond before the WoH. The service was good, the F&B was very good...but the whole place still feels sterile to me. I've been back several times for dinner or drinks while staying at the Westin Vendome or the Hotel de Vendome. I love the Vendome area, but I now vastly prefer the overall ambience, decor, F&B, service, and elite recognition at the Prince de Galles. (I despise the FSGV and the Bristol even more.)

To me, the PH is a solid choice using points. But for cash, I'd look elsewhere.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:38 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Agree with this 100%. I noted guests paying cash for top suites also complaining and Guest Relations Manager desperately trying to move them as well. I dare say calling a room a "suite" when it's not makes guests very angry.

Most travellers aren't FTers and if you relied on a TA or a 3rd party to make your booking you probably don't look at the hotel website to learn that the lower suites are anything but.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I had a few stays there when I was a Diamond before the WoH. The service was good, the F&B was very good...but the whole place still feels sterile to me. I've been back several times for dinner or drinks while staying at the Westin Vendome or the Hotel de Vendome. I love the Vendome area, but I now vastly prefer the overall ambience, decor, F&B, service, and elite recognition at the Prince de Galles. (I despise the FSGV and the Bristol even more.)

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Agree with this 100%. I noted guests paying cash for top suites also complaining and Guest Relations Manager desperately trying to move them as well. I dare say calling a room a "suite" when it's not makes guests very angry.

Most travellers aren't FTers and if you relied on a TA or a 3rd party to make your booking you probably don't look at the hotel website to learn that the lower suites are anything but.
Oh, I've been there several times - always on points. No way I would spend $700-1000 a night anywhere (unless I came into a fortune). I'm a lowly pensioner.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:03 am

PH Paris has a huge problem in my view, because they are generally seen as a great hotel for redemption, but not such a great choice for paying cash. Yes they are comping the influencers and getting great exposure from it, they are also courting the fashion crowd and it works, but these all-cash suite bookings, which are really lucrative, are not coming through these days -- compared to a few years ago. Yes Claudio Ceccherelli is probably the most solid Hyatt veteran and an excellent choice to follow up for Michel Jauslin, the way he handled the strikes was incredible, though generally the cost cutting continues. In times of raised environmental awareness, they have gone back to plastic Evian bottles, whereas previously they had glass. How are they supposed to compete when they are cutting costs endlessly?

In terms of interior design, I understand the critics, even though I really like the design. It is contemporary, but there are many references to Paris, just a little more subtle than most expect. All of the columns reference the former house of Paquin and the Roseline Granet sculptures are very Parian as well. It may not be to everyone's taste, though they certainly found their niche with the design.

The most pressing issue for me is the decline of service, they are delivering a basic service but in no way is it up to Palace standards. Key people have moved on, manager positions have been cut down to a minimum, the Guest Relations team is a shadow of its former self, I could go on. In the same range I would happily stay at PDG, or when paying cash it is almost always FS, which is a bit more expensive but they are breathing hospitality there.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
PH Paris has a huge problem in my view, because they are generally seen as a great hotel for redemption, but not such a great choice for paying cash. Yes they are comping the influencers and getting great exposure from it, they are also courting the fashion crowd and it works, but these all-cash suite bookings, which are really lucrative, are not coming through these days -- compared to a few years ago. Yes Claudio Ceccherelli is probably the most solid Hyatt veteran and an excellent choice to follow up for Michel Jauslin, the way he handled the strikes was incredible, though generally the cost cutting continues. In times of raised environmental awareness, they have gone back to plastic Evian bottles, whereas previously they had glass. How are they supposed to compete when they are cutting costs endlessly?

In terms of interior design, I understand the critics, even though I really like the design. It is contemporary, but there are many references to Paris, just a little more subtle than most expect. All of the columns reference the former house of Paquin and the Roseline Granet sculptures are very Parian as well. It may not be to everyone's taste, though they certainly found their niche with the design.

The most pressing issue for me is the decline of service, they are delivering a basic service but in no way is it up to Palace standards. Key people have moved on, manager positions have been cut down to a minimum, the Guest Relations team is a shadow of its former self, I could go on. In the same range I would happily stay at PDG, or when paying cash it is almost always FS, which is a bit more expensive but they are breathing hospitality there.
Very well said @scented. I had a very bad pre-stay concierge experience there years ago when Alessandro Cresta was in charge and never went back. Now, I know Parisian concierges can be finicky and unhelpful (even at George V) but his lack of response infuriated me for an important life event we were celebrating. Things haven't really gotten better from what I've seen.

I would rather pay to stay at Crillion, PdG or George V but only redeem points here.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Very well said @scented. I had a very bad pre-stay concierge experience there years ago when Alessandro Cresta was in charge and never went back. Now, I know Parisian concierges can be finicky and unhelpful (even at George V) but his lack of response infuriated me for an important life event we were celebrating. Things haven't really gotten better from what I've seen.

I would rather pay to stay at Crillion, PdG or George V but only redeem points here.
Totally agree with you and to be honest, I am not a really huge fan of Alessandro Cresta.

The best Concierge in all of Paris is probably Adrian Moore at MO, closely followed by his (former) George V colleagues. Also, Dominique G at PH Paris has helped me in the past with a few requests and I think he is still with the property as of today.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by scented

Well said I too enjoy the interior however after staying here for the past 12 years it has grown "bland" to me service has declined ( I think most of us can agree with that) disappointing remodel and of course the very very visual cost cutting. Cost cutting is being down across the board in the hospitality industry now that equity capital has taken hold, no surprises there its just more visible here and at most high end hotels. Like some here I have looked elsewhere for stays in Paris, the Westin is a great alternative even the Marriott Opera is a wonderful alternative ( disclaimer I am a Lifetime Titanium which doesn't hurt). Claudio is a wonderful hotel manager I first met him at the MPH however for what it's worth the manager of the Churchill who actually opened the PHV is the best Hyatt GM in Europe today. He has done a fantastic job since taking over and very reachable. When I check in he seems to appear asI am finishing and takes time to chat.

I have wonderful memories at the PHV, one of the best small bars in Europe.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

https://onemileatatime.com/park-hyatt-paris-park-suite-review/
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:12 pm

I had a wonderful stay with an exceptional suite upgrade with a large high ceiling living room two bathrooms both with their own showers
Never expected to be treated well based on all the reports of up sells and bad upgrades so as they say your YMMV
Despite the wonderful recognition and nice in room amenities all on a points stay there were problems
Without going into all the details to the credit of the hotel the team was on point with outstanding followups to solve all the issues
One example power shades opening and closing throughout the night and morning without being able to stop them from opening and closing
The fixed it by late morning next day.
A great hotel follows up and solves issues and they did near flawlessly within reasonable expectations time wise

Breakfast was close to excellent and had good variety with a world class presentation
However somehow just missed the exceptional mark due to the pastry being unremarkable I've had better elsewhere when in Paris and Lyon and from corner French bakeries
It was certainly satisfactory though however France sets the bar high with expectations having some of the best bakeries and dairy products in the world
The service @ breakfast was heart felt and caring and they made our experience and our day each and every day.
The restaurant manager herself one of the friendliest,thoughtful bright French ladies I've ever met
The Park Hyatt Vendome may not be everyone's cup of tea in fact it really isn't my style of hotel yet its still a classy attractive property
however IMHO superb management,many good team members and fine Globalist recognition made me a believer all things equal by the end of stay
I'll say still a great choice in Paris by far and making Hyatt proud.Of course I would go back without question
My biggest disappointment was arrival day night room service was CRAZY expensive and simply poor. Otherwise the price would be a non issue
I wouldn't order room service again nothing was good at all.Very weird takes even on something so simple as an onion soup sure glad breakfast was on point

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Sep 5, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
The link doesn't work for me, so I'm trying my quote trick:
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The link doesn't work for me, so I'm trying my quote trick:
Great trick Thank You ^
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I had a wonderful stay with an exceptional suite upgrade with a large high ceiling living room two bathrooms both with their own showers
Never expected to be treated well based on all the reports of up sells and bad upgrades so as they say your YMMV
Despite the wonderful recognition and nice in room amenities all on a points stay there were problems
Without going into all the details to the credit of the hotel the team was on point with outstanding followups to solve all the issues
One example power shades opening and closing throughout the night and morning without being able to stop them from opening and closing
The fixed it by late morning next day.
A great hotel follows up and solves issues and they did near flawlessly within reasonable expectations time wise

Breakfast was close to excellent and had good variety with a world class presentation
However somehow just missed the exceptional mark due to the pastry being unremarkable I've had better elsewhere when in Paris and Lyon and from corner French bakeries
It was certainly satisfactory though however France sets the bar high with expectations having some of the best bakeries and dairy products in the world
The service @ breakfast was heart felt and caring and they made our experience and our day each and every day.
The restaurant manager herself one of the friendliest,thoughtful bright French ladies I've ever met
The Park Hyatt Vendome may not be everyone's cup of tea in fact it really isn't my style of hotel yet its still a classy attractive property
however IMHO superb management,many good team members and fine Globalist recognition made me a believer all things equal by the end of stay
I'll say still a great choice in Paris by far and making Hyatt proud.Of course I would go back without question
My biggest disappointment was arrival day night room service was CRAZY expensive and simply poor. Otherwise the price would be a non issue
I wouldn't order room service again nothing was good at all.Very weird takes even on something so simple as an onion soup sure glad breakfast was on point
wonder if this was an August issue with potentially reduced options for sourcing. My breakfasts pastries were amazing, and room service was quite good.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Not the most important news but the 20% discount voucher at the Bar, Terrace & Cheminee which had disappeared in July is back.
Still no indication at check in if you should mention/show/give it at he Bar or if automatically deducted at check out...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.