Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Elevator situation out of control!

Stayed here last night. There was at times a 15+ minute wait for the elevators. The situation was so bad that people were getting in elevators going up when they were going down and vice versa in a desperate attempt to try and secure a spot on any elevator. As I was checking out some guy was screaming at an employee in the lobby about his "20 minute wait" for an elevator. I even noticed some people using the employee elevator in the back room to somehow get to their room. I don't know if some elevators are being serviced or what but the situation was not acceptable.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by eyeball1
Stayed here last night. There was at times a 15+ minute wait for the elevators. The situation was so bad that people were getting in elevators going up when they were going down and vice versa in a desperate attempt to try and secure a spot on any elevator. As I was checking out some guy was screaming at an employee in the lobby about his "20 minute wait" for an elevator. I even noticed some people using the employee elevator in the back room to somehow get to their room. I don't know if some elevators are being serviced or what but the situation was not acceptable.

If there was ever a problem with this property for all these years it has been the elevators. whether servicing or not it has been the single unpleasant part of staying here , besides closing the Colony
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:50 pm

Yep stayed in this property once - will not do it again due to the elevator situation.
Not only do you have to wait a long time but they regularly fail which is not very pleasant when they are jam packed full of people.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:29 am

When I was there for an overnight in mid December, at times they had an employee trying to help load the elevators from the lobby level, and at one point there was a very orderly queue of people waiting as the far one of the left side arrived, but after that the near one on the right side arrived and nobody got in, and it left empty. A guy in the line went ballistic. It was pretty funny overall. (not for him I guess.)

It wasn't really any worse than usual when we were there.

-David
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Just completed a stay from Christmas thru New Years. I've found that during "rush hour" times, the wait can be crazy but non-rush hour isn't too bad provided all elevators are working. The service elevators also break down which causes Housekeeping to use the guest elevators further causing delays. We noticed that guests staying on the lower floors have gotten into the habit of taking the stairs rather than waiting for the elevators.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:12 pm

With respect to renovations and catching up on maintenance, it definitely needs it. Was there on Dec 26 during torrential downpours. The ongoing water issues, which required ceiling replacement of reception area a year or two ago as well as the current renovation of the RC, are evident everywhere. Water was pouring from the ceiling on 3rd level concourse, including from around can lights. Lots of buckets catching the water everywhere.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-gold, Hyatt - glob, HH - Gold, Marriott -Gold
Yeah over the holidays the elevator situation was bad and the ballroom/regency club was not good either. The most annoying thing wasn't the wait to get on an elevator. The worst was when you were on the elevator its sometimes stopped on every floor. The doors would open and nobody was there. Like elevator ghosts or something. The hotel didn't really offer anything for the inconvenience either.

That being said, the staff was super friendly and helpful. The rooms were always cleaned well despite all the sand and crap that sometimes ended up on the floor. Also, guys doing security at the elevators were supper nice and helpful. I was told that the renovations to the RC were due to water damage and that they were necessary. Otherwise they would have waited until a less busy time to renovate the club. I've stayed at this property for 5-6 years now and I'd go back. I'd just take the elevators and RC issues for a one time thing and hope that next year things are fixed.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Regency Club is now open at the original third floor location. There is new flooring, a few added furniture pieces, and a canopy over a portion of the outdoor seating area. Otherwise, it looks the same to us from our visit a year ago.

LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Southdown13
Regency Club is now open at the original third floor location. There is new flooring, a few added furniture pieces, and a canopy over a portion of the outdoor seating area. Otherwise, it looks the same to us from our visit a year ago.

canopy was needed am sure the flooring was due to the water damage.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The flooring definitely due to all the water streaming in from the pipe that broke on the side of the building a few years ago. The damage was very visible.

That being said, I hated the original floor and am glad they replaced it. The canopy is a nice addition.

When that pipe broke, the water streamed in from the patio and flowed all the way to the elevators. It was an ugly situation. It's also why the elevators keep breaking down.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
The flooring definitely due to all the water streaming in from the pipe that broke on the side of the building a few years ago. The damage was very visible.

That being said, I hated the original floor and am glad they replaced it. The canopy is a nice addition.

When that pipe broke, the water streamed in from the patio and flowed all the way to the elevators. It was an ugly situation. It's also why the elevators keep breaking down.

when we were there doing some work the hotel knew about those pipes now 8 or so years later !
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Was the hotel well-prepared to handle the missile threat?
bbbb likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Now thats the best post of this new year !!!!!!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:11 am

I can imagine all the guests waiting for elevators to head for a shelter.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
i was there for the earthquake that blacked out the entire island. They were very prepared and I was very happy with their response and treatment of guests. The hotel is a designated shelter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.