Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Gold,Starwood Preferred, United, AA
Club and SWIM changes

Originally Posted by thekaica
I learned that management is considering major cuts to Swim and Regency Club staff. For Swim, they were going to eliminate the servers. This meant that guests would have to place their food and drink orders with a bartender. They've delayed any decisions until next year.

For Regency Club, they are cutting the number of hours per shift. Apparently management doesn't understand how busy it can get a times given all the up-sells. Supposedly the changes mean the staff are only to handle food and drink related tasks. This means guests will need to see the front desk for anything else. Apparently any decisions have also been delayed for now.

I've gotten to know many of the staff and they are a BIG reason I keep coming back. It does not appear management is seeking guest feedback so for what's it worth, please consider writing the GM if you think this is a wrong direction to take.
Unable to get any specific information however have heard the changes at SWIM are to take effect soon. The Regency Club staff hours are supposed to be cut to 5 hour shifts and they are talking of reducing morning staff to 3.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by diamond_46
Unable to get any specific information however have heard the changes at SWIM are to take effect soon. The Regency Club staff hours are supposed to be cut to 5 hour shifts and they are talking of reducing morning staff to 3.
Ouch. I'm assuming they'll move the RC staff to other parts of the property outside of their five hours? Seems like it wouldn't pay to just work five hours and be done..
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Ouch. I'm assuming they'll move the RC staff to other parts of the property outside of their five hours? Seems like it wouldn't pay to just work five hours and be done..
Their union so will have to use them elsewhere, some are closing in on retirement. So much for the hotel's rejuvenation to what it once was. Getting close to using the Hale Koa which I am authorized to stay at.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Their union so will have to use them elsewhere, some are closing in on retirement. So much for the hotel's rejuvenation to what it once was. Getting close to using the Hale Koa which I am authorized to stay at.
Well they did bring back the three story waterfall.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
One of the RC club staff transferred to valet to get additional hours. I reached out to the F&B Director (oversees RC and SWIM) but it sounds like he has no choice on the change in hours. He did say they are keeping the servers at SWIM but reducing the hours and possibly closing SWIM earlier at night.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:09 am

One of the RC club staff transferred to valet to get additional hours. I reached out to the F&B Director (oversees RC and SWIM) but it sounds like he has no choice on the change in hours. He did say they are keeping the servers at SWIM but reducing the hours and possibly closing SWIM earlier at night.
Sure Barbra is not happy
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Sure Barbra is not happy
Barbara is the consummate luxury hospitality professional and I can assure you that she will be just fine from having just spoken with her.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Barbara is the consummate luxury hospitality professional and I can assure you that she will be just fine from having just spoken with her.
I agree have known her for over 25 years. When she does retire will be sorely missed
SF1K likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
As a Courtesy Card holder I am well treated at the hotel. But in my several stays since the new GM arrived I have not received a single communication from him. Sadly I feel this represents his attitude toward Customer Service.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by mmgm
As a Courtesy Card holder I am well treated at the hotel. But in my several stays since the new GM arrived I have not received a single communication from him. Sadly I feel this represents his attitude toward Customer Service.
The new GM doesn't send the e-mail greeting. Is Stacey reaching out? I guess she has taken over that function for the GM. It's interesting, the GM's from the HR Orange County and HR San Francisco have both reached out prior to my stays this month.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The new GM doesn't send the e-mail greeting. Is Stacey reaching out? I guess she has taken over that function for the GM. It's interesting, the GM's from the HR Orange County and HR San Francisco have both reached out prior to my stays this month.
It's more of a generic greeting anyway?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
It's more of a generic greeting anyway?
Yes, but when I've replied with a request, I get a response pretty quickly. Recently due to a late flight, I asked if I could get 7pm check out and it was granted. It was probably a slow night. LOL
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
What they are doing at the hotel is outrageous... Staff and hour reductions for people who have been with them for decades. Do they not recognize some people return to the hotel year after year because of the staff?

How can anyone remain there working 5 hours per shift? That also means they lose access to the company cafeteria for the in-shift meals. From what I understand, the staff at Swim and at the pool will have to take on more duties.

I cannot image what the club will look like in the morning with only 3 people on staff. Or, the hotel needs to stop selling access to people who did not book a club access rate.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
What they are doing at the hotel is outrageous... Staff and hour reductions for people who have been with them for decades. Do they not recognize some people return to the hotel year after year because of the staff?

How can anyone remain there working 5 hours per shift? That also means they lose access to the company cafeteria for the in-shift meals. From what I understand, the staff at Swim and at the pool will have to take on more duties.

I cannot image what the club will look like in the morning with only 3 people on staff. Or, the hotel needs to stop selling access to people who did not book a club access rate.
Highly doubt they will stop "selling" lounge access especially to their Asian clients, which is where they target for lounge access. The higher the labor costs go the more you will see staff reductions and lost or curtailment of services thats basic economic's . In the case of the islands this has been going on for years now with no end in sight at least until there is a real downturn and I mean a real downtown my opinion todays rates are pushing the limits of what the average person can afford. While I have lifetime status a points if I had to pay for an entire vacation it might be different, but then I can also stay at the Hale Koi
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
As prices have risen, and I'm not just talking about Hawaii, I'm seeing fewer and fewer people spending money on extras or gifts.

I simply cannot believe how they are treating their long-time employees. It is outrageous.
FriendlySkies likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.