Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:00 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Review to follow

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Mar 7, 2018 at 5:06 pm Reason: unanswered question
Old May 17, 2018, 10:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
There is now a new RC menu at breakfast and in the evening. In the evening there is now a rotation of 8 dishes instead of 5. In addition there is now a vegetable spread including asparagus and mushrooms. A significant improvement.
59Impala likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
VIP Manager

The VIP Manager is Stacey Martin.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
The hotel is getting sadder and sadder.

We've been staying at this hotel for years and years. Just returned from a trip and I must say certain aspects of it have just gotten to be so "sad". Particularly the RC club - of course the staff is still amazing and super friendly and they now us really well. The food seems to be a bit better at the moment but the look and feel of the club itself is just really to the point of almost being dirty. I know a lot of that probably has to do with the clients that come in there and I've heard that the hotel aggressively sells RC access, so you have a lot of people that maybe don't get to use lounge facilities very often and just have this entitled attitude when in there. Dirty dishes around on tables (hello - there is a place to clear them so it's really not that bit a deal to bring them over there yourself as we do!). Food on the ground, probably systemic from the dishes being left and then the bird picking it off the plates and throwing it on the floor. Also the mis-match, jumbled and bird poo'd furniture is just not appealing.

Then they added the outside canopy - which is nice in concept, but it just looks raggedy and the lighting and cords aren't properly hidden it just looks "low-rent".

The pool keep loosing more and more lounge chairs. I was told that they order them from China and it takes 9 months to get them, as they break they just remove them and the aren't ordering new ones until next years budget. WOW!

The elevator situation seems to be a contestant work-in-progress, not sure if it will ever be fixed, and then the outside work to the DH tower is still under-way also. Means all of the Ocean Front rooms in that tower have locked balconies, this was supposed to be resolved by end of May, but seems that is pushing by several months.

Again - staff friendly as always. New VIP manager reached out, we were assigned a very nice room. But over the years it has turned into a hotel that I just "sleep" in. We don't do anything on property besides grabbing a quick breakfast item in lounge, maybe have 1 drink in evening depending on the crowd and grab towels from Pool to head to beach.

It seems to me that this may actually be what they are going for. They certainly have a huge JTB contract (that is their biggest client) and they try to treat us regulars as well but just don't really have awesome facilities to do so.

Will I continue to stay here - absolutely, because in Waikiki I'm pretty much looking for a clean room and the prices are usually pretty reasonable compared to other properties, particularly when the Resort Fee is waived for Globalists. If I didn't have Hyatt status I would certainly shop around as I think the value proposition could be better at other hotels.

FYI - went to Alohilani Hotel (Morimoto has opened there). The hotel is really nice looking. Morimoto is excellent, the hotel pool bar (Swell) on 5th floor is really nice. Super nice infinity pool - has a very South Beach feel. You can rent Cabanas for $150, no need to be a guest. Lobby is super cool with huge Aquarium.

Also the Hideout at the Laylow is a pretty nice place to have a drink, I do find it a bit overpriced considering they aren't ocean front or ocean facing. Prices in-line with the Royal Hawaiian which I think is a bit nuts considering it is not the Royal Hawaiian and on Kuhio.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SF1K
We've been staying at this hotel for years and years. Just returned from a trip and I must say certain aspects of it have just gotten to be so "sad". Particularly the RC club - of course the staff is still amazing and super friendly and they now us really well. The food seems to be a bit better at the moment but the look and feel of the club itself is just really to the point of almost being dirty. I know a lot of that probably has to do with the clients that come in there and I've heard that the hotel aggressively sells RC access, so you have a lot of people that maybe don't get to use lounge facilities very often and just have this entitled attitude when in there. Dirty dishes around on tables (hello - there is a place to clear them so it's really not that bit a deal to bring them over there yourself as we do!). Food on the ground, probably systemic from the dishes being left and then the bird picking it off the plates and throwing it on the floor. Also the mis-match, jumbled and bird poo'd furniture is just not appealing.

Then they added the outside canopy - which is nice in concept, but it just looks raggedy and the lighting and cords aren't properly hidden it just looks "low-rent".

The pool keep loosing more and more lounge chairs. I was told that they order them from China and it takes 9 months to get them, as they break they just remove them and the aren't ordering new ones until next years budget. WOW!

The elevator situation seems to be a contestant work-in-progress, not sure if it will ever be fixed, and then the outside work to the DH tower is still under-way also. Means all of the Ocean Front rooms in that tower have locked balconies, this was supposed to be resolved by end of May, but seems that is pushing by several months.

Again - staff friendly as always. New VIP manager reached out, we were assigned a very nice room. But over the years it has turned into a hotel that I just "sleep" in. We don't do anything on property besides grabbing a quick breakfast item in lounge, maybe have 1 drink in evening depending on the crowd and grab towels from Pool to head to beach.

It seems to me that this may actually be what they are going for. They certainly have a huge JTB contract (that is their biggest client) and they try to treat us regulars as well but just don't really have awesome facilities to do so.

Will I continue to stay here - absolutely, because in Waikiki I'm pretty much looking for a clean room and the prices are usually pretty reasonable compared to other properties, particularly when the Resort Fee is waived for Globalists. If I didn't have Hyatt status I would certainly shop around as I think the value proposition could be better at other hotels.

FYI - went to Alohilani Hotel (Morimoto has opened there). The hotel is really nice looking. Morimoto is excellent, the hotel pool bar (Swell) on 5th floor is really nice. Super nice infinity pool - has a very South Beach feel. You can rent Cabanas for $150, no need to be a guest. Lobby is super cool with huge Aquarium.

Also the Hideout at the Laylow is a pretty nice place to have a drink, I do find it a bit overpriced considering they aren't ocean front or ocean facing. Prices in-line with the Royal Hawaiian which I think is a bit nuts considering it is not the Royal Hawaiian and on Kuhio.

I too have been staying here for over 25 years and have seen it's "decay" beginning with the sale from the Japanese businessman to GS who sucked the life out of it then Blackstone as well. All those repairs are the years and years of non exterior repair work ( I know because this is a part of my companies work) ( and I saw a report on this place years ago). I along with all the staff looked forward to the changing of ownership and possibly the rebirth of a once great beach property to stay at. I still miss the Colony. The JTB contract has been there for years and they do well by it however it has it's downfall. elevators will always be a problem here unless there is a total overhaul very expensive. Laylow is a dump poorly done reflag. RC clubroom I totally agree and they have pushed the sales to the point of "whats the purpose now" Very much like the HHV when the "girls" served breakfast and cocktails in the afternoon at the Ali'i Towers private pool deck. Most of what many of us knew is gone "Equity Capitol" has taken hold. Ordering pool chairs and longes from China is ridiculous excuse.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Review to follow
Looking forward to it!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:08 am

Just got back from this hotel. After reading the latest posts here, I was expecting a "sad" lounge, but it was really great! It this is sad, then it must have been super amazing before. I have not seen any dirty dishes left on the tables. The lounge was never full or even half full. The buffet outside was packed with a line going on every morning but there were not too many people at the lounge. The most I remember was 2 people in front of me to get food for either breakfast or evening snacks.

I was there for a week and it seems like breakfast and evening each has a rotating main dish. For breakfast, my favorite was egg benedict with smoke salmon. They have salmon every morning like most lounges in Asia. For evening, I like the mini beef kabob and the spicy shrimp. The shrimp tastes as good as the ones we got from North Shore shrimp shack.

We did receive a room upgrade from the standard award room to a partial ocean view room at a higher floor. The only major complain I have with this hotel is the street noise. I get it that it is located in a middle of a busy city, but I don't think the glass doors have any sound isolation at all. They should invest in upgraded the glass to triple pane or something. I can hear every word of the Taylor Swift song sang by the little girl on the street 30 stories up with the glass doors closed.

The room itself is great. Love the huge TV with chromecast so we could watch pretty much anything on it. They gave us free sport bottles for water, and every floor there is an ice machine with filtered water. I think the water tasted great and my wife thinks the water from that machine tasted better than the reverse osmosis water we have at home. Usually when we stay at a hotel, we spent a fortune on bottled water. Last week we didn't buy a single bottle of water at waikiki. We take the sport bottles everywhere, to PCC, circle island tour, snorkeling, etc... Every hotel should have this!

The only times we went to the pool area were to get towels for the beach. The pool is really tiny. Of all the "resorts" we have visited, this is by far the smallest pool. There are lots of shops inside the hotel structure, but most of them are clothing stores. There are three ABC stores, one on each end and one in the middle. The chinese restaurant in the building is actually pretty good. We thought it would be like Panda Express'ish, but they actually have good dim sum and price is not bad. The sushi restaurant at the other end is also good. I would avoid their "boat" special and just order a la carte.

If you prefer fast food, there is McD's, BurgerK, and KFC just 1 block away. There are street market every night either in the shopping area next to the hotel or inside the hotel ground floor. The deep fried donut thing is pretty good.

Overall, I think it is a great hotel at the area, and you can't beat 15000 pt/nt value.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Need
Just got back from this hotel. After reading the latest posts here, I was expecting a "sad" lounge, but it was really great! It this is sad, then it must have been super amazing before. I have not seen any dirty dishes left on the tables. The lounge was never full or even half full. The buffet outside was packed with a line going on every morning but there were not too many people at the lounge. The most I remember was 2 people in front of me to get food for either breakfast or evening snacks.

I was there for a week and it seems like breakfast and evening each has a rotating main dish. For breakfast, my favorite was egg benedict with smoke salmon. They have salmon every morning like most lounges in Asia. For evening, I like the mini beef kabob and the spicy shrimp. The shrimp tastes as good as the ones we got from North Shore shrimp shack.

We did receive a room upgrade from the standard award room to a partial ocean view room at a higher floor. The only major complain I have with this hotel is the street noise. I get it that it is located in a middle of a busy city, but I don't think the glass doors have any sound isolation at all. They should invest in upgraded the glass to triple pane or something. I can hear every word of the Taylor Swift song sang by the little girl on the street 30 stories up with the glass doors closed.

The room itself is great. Love the huge TV with chromecast so we could watch pretty much anything on it. They gave us free sport bottles for water, and every floor there is an ice machine with filtered water. I think the water tasted great and my wife thinks the water from that machine tasted better than the reverse osmosis water we have at home. Usually when we stay at a hotel, we spent a fortune on bottled water. Last week we didn't buy a single bottle of water at waikiki. We take the sport bottles everywhere, to PCC, circle island tour, snorkeling, etc... Every hotel should have this!

The only times we went to the pool area were to get towels for the beach. The pool is really tiny. Of all the "resorts" we have visited, this is by far the smallest pool. There are lots of shops inside the hotel structure, but most of them are clothing stores. There are three ABC stores, one on each end and one in the middle. The chinese restaurant in the building is actually pretty good. We thought it would be like Panda Express'ish, but they actually have good dim sum and price is not bad. The sushi restaurant at the other end is also good. I would avoid their "boat" special and just order a la carte.

If you prefer fast food, there is McD's, BurgerK, and KFC just 1 block away. There are street market every night either in the shopping area next to the hotel or inside the hotel ground floor. The deep fried donut thing is pretty good.

Overall, I think it is a great hotel at the area, and you can't beat 15000 pt/nt value.
Glad you enjoyed the HR it is or I should say was once one of the best resorts in Honolulu. As for the club lounge you certainly were lucky not to have experienced crowding ( and that does happen) The lounge is a bright spot there especially after the remodel which they shrunk the pool. And you are spot on with that comment. The lines for breakfast is a typical for this and most resorts there. Sometimes we prefer to walk up the street to Duke's right on the beach.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Glad you enjoyed the HR it is or I should say was once one of the best resorts in Honolulu. ..
Ymmv but imho noone should see this property as a resort. Its a solid city hotel in a great location.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
Ymmv but imho noone should see this property as a resort. Its a solid city hotel in a great location.
Concur. My definition of a "resort" is shaped by HR Maui.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
well their marketing begs to differ with you. It is marketed hard to Asia and Australia as a resort. It charges resort fees. It sell the beach. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck gotta be a duck!!!

disclaimer all said in jest
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Has anyone had a Hyatt Privē booking at this property? What to expect?
How do you request the upgrade? Through the TA that made the reservation?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Renard
Has anyone had a Hyatt Privē booking at this property? What to expect?
How do you request the upgrade? Through the TA that made the reservation?

Recently had a Prive reservation here. You can expect daily buffet breakfast for 2, a $100 room credit, and your travel agent can request an upgrade at time of booking.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:10 pm

Does anybody know if the elevator situation is still an issue here and also if there is exterior renovations being done that lock off some of the balconies?

Also, haven't booked a RC room here, but know the RC is on the 3rd floor, so are the rooms on the 3rd floor or high floors or just wherever throughout the hotel? And why can you only book Ocean View or City View, but not Ocean Front?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by RedRox
Does anybody know if the elevator situation is still an issue here and also if there is exterior renovations being done that lock off some of the balconies?

Also, haven't booked a RC room here, but know the RC is on the 3rd floor, so are the rooms on the 3rd floor or high floors or just wherever throughout the hotel? And why can you only book Ocean View or City View, but not Ocean Front?
First the elevators are always an issue here especially around mealtime. There has been a lot of exterior structural repairs. the "RC" club rooms are not worth it as they are more or less non existent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.