Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by Renard
I saw small indication that things were getting somewhat back to normal with for diamonds... the return of the little Hawaiian candy box. Now it wasn't fancy candy... just the type of stuff you'd see in the grocer etc. It's not the tasty Honolulu Cookie Company box of years ago ... but it was better than nothing... which was what we saw last year in January.
Nothing is exactly what I received.

No candy, no welcome letter, no nothing. fwiw, I spent my 1st night of this trip at the HP and received not only a welcome letter but also a welcome email.

Figures that this time I really wanted my 2 daily Bottles of water and boy, it was a challenge to get them!

Evidently in their commitment to saving their green, HR mgmt has decided to give plastic water bottles for guest to fill themselves rather than bottles of water. I explained that I didn’t want to use those plastic bottles, and was annoyed to have to insist upon receiving this published benefit that no one at the front desk seems to have ever heard of.

Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
This is pretty stark looking space. I have a stay coming up in January and the Centric is much cheaper. I decided to stick with the HR because of the lounge experience there but I may be rethinking that—although it is good to hear that the food and service remains the same. I’ve stayed at this HR many times and the RC is an essential part of the experience for me. This space looks to be a place you’d want to get out of as soon as possible if one bothers at all.
It seems like this property is a never ending construction zone. Is the building in that state of disrepair that some part or another is always falling apart and being repaired?. I assume this be some kind of an emergency repair situation as it makes no sense at all to have the work stretch in to the holiday and high season.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:32 pm

The temporary club looks like some institutional staff canteen. At least no one will want to linger there.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:50 pm

Was going to post about the temp RC, but I see its already been posted. It's a small ballroom or medium sized meeting space. The room has a name, but I don't remember it.

New GM is Doug Wells from Indian Wells. Some of you might know him from Kauai (2004-2013)?

We're on a quick overnight and I let them know estimated arrival and departure time (early) when they sent me the pre-stay email. I believe it may be my first time in a suite here. At least in a decade or more. Got the box of 2 chocolates at check-in.

-David
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Was going to post about the temp RC, but I see its already been posted. It's a small ballroom or medium sized meeting space. The room has a name, but I don't remember it.

New GM is Doug Wells from Indian Wells. Some of you might know him from Kauai (2004-2013)?

We're on a quick overnight and I let them know estimated arrival and departure time (early) when they sent me the pre-stay email. I believe it may be my first time in a suite here. At least in a decade or more. Got the box of 2 chocolates at check-in.

-David
you meant Doug Sears is the new GM.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Hi there,
Have a reservation here for next June for 4 nights and trying to confirm a suite upgrade, but only have availability for 2 of the 4 nights. Any chance contacting the property they might accommodate and just make us move half way through the stay?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by mmgm

indeed. thanks.

-David
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mmgm

He changes his name to match the property he's working at. He's now known as Doug Waikiki.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:34 pm

Any issues with carrying plates of food out of that room to consume in the area of the pool deck? Not sure where it is located. Staying for 9th year 12/24-12/31, and my family was looking forward to spending time on patio of Regency Club. This looks pretty grim.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Renovation News: I've been in contact with the guest experience manager off and on for the past few weeks regarding an upcoming stay in January. I had originally worked with them to confirm a ocean-facing family suite in the Diamond Head tower (xx59/60). The GEM contacted me this week to tell me that they will be doing some extensive external reservations in January and *all* of the 59/60 suites are going to have scaffolding on the exterior and the balconies to those rooms are going to be locked/inaccessible. We worked together to come up with a mutually agreeable alternative room blocking, but this is still a minor disappointment (we were *really* looking forward to that view again). I am glad they contacted me though, because I would have been *really* bummed had I got there and found out that my 'diamond suite upgrade' was into a room with no balcony and a view obstructed by scaffolding!

The GEM also confirmed that the RC will still be in the alternative "Kou Ballroom" on the second floor.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Diamond Head tower was supposedly "renovated" by the prior ownership, the process took forever and construction was quite intrusive. Sounds like the new owners found issues with what was done.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
The Diamond Head tower was supposedly "renovated" by the prior ownership, the process took forever and construction was quite intrusive. Sounds like the new owners found issues with what was done.
This place has been in renovation for years, first GS bled the place to death, then Blackstone with their usual sucked all the vapors out of it. Part of the sale from GS to B were to be repairs and renovations, all done very cheaply very. Then comes the new owners who to their credit are trying to do the right thing, problem is it appears they are finding issues with the substandard repairs done before. So you know I did some emergency repairs there years ago and did not pursue any more work too risky.

It's a shame as it is going to take the new owners years and a lot more money than I think they thought for this property to come back. That my friends is equity capitol at it's best. Sad

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Currently here now. I was told the temp RC is thru 1/12/18 as they need the room on 1/13/18 for an event.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Discoverist
Just returned from HR Waikiki on a 4-day Christmas trip. Although this property is in a great location (directly across from Duke on Waikiki beach), it's definitely showing it's age. They are updating parts of the hotel but it doesn't appear that there's a major reno happening (at least not yet --other posts have mentioned a Jan reno). The relocated RC was a bummer and I wasn't aware of this until we arrived -- especially since it's in a windowless ballroom. I meant to take a pic but suffice it to say -- not impressive. I too heard that they are trying to re-open in its renovated state in mid Jan but if this is important to you, check with property.

Others have complained about the elevators being serviced but we did not experience this in the Diamond Head Tower. At times, there was a short 3-5 min wait but the elevators themselves were super fast. Several evenings, one of the staff strummed ukulele and sung songs while we waited -- charming!

The staff is sincere and extremely helpful. We were upgraded to Oceanview 6x room on 22nd floor and other than the view, was nothing special. Matching light blue walls/ceiling made it feel kind of cheap but you have to ignore most of that and focus on the view. On another positive note, I have to thank the GM Doug Sears for reaching out to check if everything was as expected and responding to me personally.

Last edited by sailor279; Dec 29, 2017 at 5:01 am Reason: forgot something
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by sailor279
Just returned from HR Waikiki on a 4-day Christmas trip. Although this property is in a great location (directly across from Duke on Waikiki beach), it's definitely showing it's age. They are updating parts of the hotel but it doesn't appear that there's a major reno happening (at least not yet --other posts have mentioned a Jan reno). The relocated RC was a bummer and I wasn't aware of this until we arrived -- especially since it's in a windowless ballroom. I meant to take a pic but suffice it to say -- not impressive. I too heard that they are trying to re-open in its renovated state in mid Jan but if this is important to you, check with property.

Others have complained about the elevators being serviced but we did not experience this in the Diamond Head Tower. At times, there was a short 3-5 min wait but the elevators themselves were super fast. Several evenings, one of the staff strummed ukulele and sung songs while we waited -- charming!

The staff is sincere and extremely helpful. We were upgraded to Oceanview 6x room on 22nd floor and other than the view, was nothing special. Matching light blue walls/ceiling made it feel kind of cheap but you have to ignore most of that and focus on the view. On another positive note, I have to thank the GM Doug Sears for reaching out to check if everything was as expected and responding to me personally.
I fear it's going to take a while for the new owners to get this property back from two successive ownership Goldman Sacks and Blackstone sucking the life out of it and it's going to take lot of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.