Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by Upgrademe731
Thank you for your informative review! I'm headed there in two weeks.
We will be there at the same time!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
I am guessing you do not regularly read the Hyatt forum? Might want to read the thread about all the recent travails with Hyatt Gift Cards before investing in one.
Edit: found the Hyatt gift card thread and starting to read through now. So far, issues with reports of zero balances:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...gift-card.html

I need to dump 100K Amex MR points soon and Hyatt GCs was looking like my best option. Second best option seemed to be using the current 50% transfer bonus from MR to BA--but seems like the consensus is that avios are worth holding only for short-haul flights (wife and I have ~427K BA avios currently). The hope was to use redeem avios for flights to Tokyo and HK on CX. Third and worst option seemed like transferring MR to Hilton. While we love Hilton, HHonors points generally seem valued low at around 0.5 cents.

Anyway, mostly want to learn about the current gotchas to using Hyatt GCs and see if they'd likely apply to me. Thanks again for pointing this out. I've got a friend planning on using his MR-obtained Hyatt GCs for a stay at an MLife property in Las Vegas this Fall--so hoping to pass on any gotchas to him as well.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Aug 18, 2016 at 2:19 pm Reason: Found Hyatt GC thread
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by slicktraveler
I am planning a trip to Kauai & going to stay at Grand Hyatt. I was wondering if anyone can give me details on Club Lounge that has been there recently. I am wondering what is served there it says cont breakfast is it worth the extra points or $$ to upgrade to a club room.
My understanding is that if you are staying on points, you can not normally use points or cash to upgrade to the club room. This is different than past years when they would allow you to upgrade a points reservation with points.

Since it is a special occasion, I called to see if I could get an upgrade to the club room. They said they would be willing to do it, as a one time offer, for an additional 8,000 points per night (33,000 points per night).

Last edited by deant; Aug 21, 2016 at 4:41 pm
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: US. HH Diamond but chasing Hyatt
Originally Posted by deant
My understanding is that if you are staying on points, you can not normally use points or cash to upgrade to the club room. This is different than past years when they would allow you to upgrade a points reservation with points.

Since it is a special occasion, I called to see if I could get an upgrade to the club room. They said they would be willing to do it, as a one time offer, for an additional 8,000 points per night (33,000 points per night).
Yes, that was a standard offer as recently as earlier this summer. I can't find it on the Hyatt website anymore. It was well worth it for me given how little vacation time I get to blow a bunch of extra points for an Ocean View Club room. Disappointed to see the option go away.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Hi all, I was hoping there was a wiki or FAQ for this hotel, but I don't see it so I will ask here.

I'm trying to plan a trip to GH Kauai in April of next year. This would be our 4th trip to the resort and first with our two kids. A couple times we have gone as Diamonds (the first time we got an awesome Ocean Suite back when they were more generous and Josh was there!). However now I have no status and my wife is Platinum only.

My questions are:

1. Website is showing me $539 + 3,000 per night for Grand Club. Are these rooms still Ocean View like they used to be? Any way to upgrade this to a Suite?

2. How do we use points to upgrade to a suite here? E.g. $XXX + 6,000 points per night for a suite? Which room class do we have to book for this upgrade? Also does having a suite mean you automatically get club access? I was never sure about this. To us club access is a must. I would hate to pay for an Ocean Suite and not actually get club access.

3. Any cheap strategies for getting an Ocean Suite?

Thanks and sorry if these have been answered in the past!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mattolo
Hi all, I was hoping there was a wiki or FAQ for this hotel, but I don't see it so I will ask here.

I'm trying to plan a trip to GH Kauai in April of next year. This would be our 4th trip to the resort and first with our two kids. A couple times we have gone as Diamonds (the first time we got an awesome Ocean Suite back when they were more generous and Josh was there!). However now I have no status and my wife is Platinum only.

My questions are:

1. Website is showing me $539 + 3,000 per night for Grand Club. Are these rooms still Ocean View like they used to be? Any way to upgrade this to a Suite?

2. How do we use points to upgrade to a suite here? E.g. $XXX + 6,000 points per night for a suite? Which room class do we have to book for this upgrade? Also does having a suite mean you automatically get club access? I was never sure about this. To us club access is a must. I would hate to pay for an Ocean Suite and not actually get club access.

Thanks and sorry if these have been answered in the past!
On your point number 1. Be very careful on how you interpret the 3,000 points for a Club room. According to Ann Severson, the Senior Sales Manager at the Kauai Hyatt, the 3,000 points DOES NOT give you a Club room. ONLY ACCESS to the club. Here is what she sent me:

In speaking to my reservations manager, Raquel Delgado, the guidelines to redeem points at our hotel are the following:

· Standard room = 25,000 points

· A member could use points to get access to Grand Club (not a CLUB category room) for 3,000 points

· Member cannot use points on points

This, of course, is somewhat contrary to what they have on the web site. So who knows what reality is. I would contact them prior to making a reservation to fully understand what you are getting for the increase in room rate plus the 3,000 points.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
[QUOTE]

The 3000 points are for club access, there is no special location for Grand Club rooms - BUT, there is a good chance they will assign you a room closest to the club, and all of those have ocean views.
You have to pay for at least a partial ocean view room and then are able to use points for a suite.

During slow times I've seen ocean suites for around $600 or $700 a night. You can see if they're available by checking under the standard rates tab.

But, if you're going during a busy time, such as spring break or Easter, it's not likely they'll offer lower priced suites.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by deant
On your point number 1. Be very careful on how you interpret the 3,000 points for a Club room. According to Ann Severson, the Senior Sales Manager at the Kauai Hyatt, the 3,000 points DOES NOT give you a Club room. ONLY ACCESS to the club. Here is what she sent me:

In speaking to my reservations manager, Raquel Delgado, the guidelines to redeem points at our hotel are the following:

· Standard room = 25,000 points

· A member could use points to get access to Grand Club (not a CLUB category room) for 3,000 points

· Member cannot use points on points

This, of course, is somewhat contrary to what they have on the web site. So who knows what reality is. I would contact them prior to making a reservation to fully understand what you are getting for the increase in room rate plus the 3,000 points.
Thanks, but I don't think this interpretation is correct. When I go to book the $539 + 3000 points rate this is what it says on the booking page:

1 Room : Club Ocean Room Details
Club Upgrade With Points Rate Rules
1 Adult / No Child
Corporate or Group Code : 51440

Also I used 33,000 points once to book a "Grand Club" room here 2 years ago and we were given a Ocean View room. The price difference between standard room and Grand Club is huge and that cannot be for Club access only. So unless something has changed I would expect an Ocean View room if I booked for $539 + 3000 points. Although a point to the contrary is that I remember the description on the Grand Club room type used to specifically say ocean view but now it does not so maybe the hotel is trying to change the policy - I hope not.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:41 pm

[QUOTE=Mary2e;27134333]
The 3000 points are for club access, there is no special location for Grand Club rooms - BUT, there is a good chance they will assign you a room closest to the club, and all of those have ocean views.
You have to pay for at least a partial ocean view room and then are able to use points for a suite.

During slow times I've seen ocean suites for around $600 or $700 a night. You can see if they're available by checking under the standard rates tab.

But, if you're going during a busy time, such as spring break or Easter, it's not likely they'll offer lower priced suites.
Thanks Mary, do you know if having a suite automatically gives club access?

Oh and to upgrade to a suite by booking a partial ocean view - can that be booked at a discounted rate like AAA or does it have to be booked at standard rate?

Last edited by mattolo; Aug 29, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: US. HH Diamond but chasing Hyatt
Thanks, but I don't think this interpretation is correct. When I go to book the $539 + 3000 points rate this is what it says on the booking page:

1 Room : Club Ocean Room Details
Club Upgrade With Points Rate Rules
1 Adult / No Child
Corporate or Group Code : 51440
Book it and then call the hotel to see what room category they have you in. If it's not Ocean View, just cancel. Based on it saying "Club Ocean" and my experience with the Hyatt booking platform I feel that it is highly likely to be ocean view.

As to your other questions; suite does NOT mean club access, that's still extra. You should be able to add it with points but you may not be able to do it online.

A AAA rate - if booked through Hyatt - is considered a standard rate for all intents and purposes, as is the Hyatt Member Rate.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
[QUOTE=mattolo;27137398]
Originally Posted by Mary2e

Thanks Mary, do you know if having a suite automatically gives club access?

Oh and to upgrade to a suite by booking a partial ocean view - can that be booked at a discounted rate like AAA or does it have to be booked at standard rate?
I was told having a suite does not include club access and you could buy it separately.

BUT - that may have changed. It is up to each hotel whether or not to offer club access to people in suites who are not diamonds.

Not sure about whether or not you need to book a standard rate to be able to use points for an upgrade to a suite. Your best bet is to call reservations and see what is the minimum you need to pay in order to upgrade.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:28 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

[QUOTE=Mary2e;27140588]
Not sure about whether or not you need to book a standard rate to be able to use points for an upgrade to a suite. Your best bet is to call reservations and see what is the minimum you need to pay in order to upgrade.
Yes, you need to book the standard rate (for PartialOcean View) in order to upgrade to a suite (or club access) using points. This is unlike DSUs which allow for a suite upgrade for the Diamond member at the discounted rate (AAA, senior, member, corporate contracts etc) for the entry room category
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
In an excited frenzy, we had a relative book a flight to join us at GHK for upcoming vacation. Only after did I call to check on adding a third adult. Booked with Gov't rate+DSU. Sounds like it's an additional $75 per night. Obviously I'm not going to charge the relative for my stupidity, but anyone have experience with this? Thinking I may just leave it off and deal with it at check-in. Won't try to hide our third person or anything, but thinking maybe I'll luck out at check in desk as Diamond and 4th time return guest (with plans for a 5th time return and wedding). If not, just comes out of Spa budget :-p
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:54 pm

Purchase excursions with a Hyatt GC at GH Kauai?

I may roll the dice and get Hyatt GCs despite the reports of fraud. That said...
What else can one purchase at the GH Kauai using Hyatt GCs aside from rooms / room upgrades? Still assuming you can pay at restaurants like Tide Pools. Can you book excursions and pay with a Hyatt GC? Or would those all be charged to a third party tour operator?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:25 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I may roll the dice and get Hyatt GCs despite the reports of fraud. That said...
What else can one purchase at the GH Kauai using Hyatt GCs aside from rooms / room upgrades? Still assuming you can pay at restaurants like Tide Pools. Can you book excursions and pay with a Hyatt GC? Or would those all be charged to a third party tour operator?
You can use GCs at restaurants. I would assume they can used on anything else that could be charged to your room, but not if you have to pay the third party directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.