Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:44 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

issues with Hyatt gift card

Just wanted to let everyone know about a potential issue with Hyatt gift cards and to check their cards.

Background; bought a gift card months ago. When I went to use it; didn't work. Checking the balance revealed it to be zero. Paid bill with CC and contacted Hyatt.

Pretty quickly they issued me a new gift card and promised to investigate. I haven't heard anything from them but I was pretty happy with the resolution.

One thing to consider: it is no longer possible to check GC balance online. Only over the phone. I wonder if someone designed a brute force app to check for GCs until it found a balance. I've heard it's possible to buy GCs on the underground marks for cheap.

Fdw
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for posting - i seem to have the same issue.. need to call..
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Same thing happened to me. Purchased it from Hyatt last December when it was on sale. Tried to use it earlier this month. Hyatt provided a new gift card within a day or two, but it was too late to use on the stay I intended it for. Also nobody at Hyatt would provide an explanation.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I had a zero balance experience last month. The card was purchased from CardCash so I assumed it was a dishonest seller on their part as I have never had any other issues with them. I settled my bill via alternate means and pursued a refund on my gift card. The property I attempted redemption did some research with HQ and told me that my card was redeemed in San Francisco a week prior.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:14 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

so sounds like this is something that Hyatt has definitely experienced... thanks for the other data points... I'm still going with brute force on the 16 digit card checker on the website as the most likely culprit...

FDW
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It appears that out of 5 cards purchased late last year four unused ones are zeroed out; the only one that still has balance was used once earlier this year. No explanation from cs on the phone but she seems to be from a different department - gift card department is clised for the day... Hopefully can get it fixed...
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
Same problem here - just noticed this when I checked into the Hyatt here. Will be checking out on Sunday, so this is a real pain. I also thought it was a cardcash issue, but I checked the other (non-Hyatt) card purchased in the same transaction and it still has the correct balance.

It would be really good if Hyatt could address the issue, because it seems it's more than an isolated issue.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
I just got one from my mom (you can attach a "gift" to a Hallmark e-card now) and received it yesterday. After reading this I called the number to check the balance and it appears to be OK. Hopefully it still will be when I go to use it next month.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Where are these problem cards coming from?

I bought a few from SVM on ebay a few months that are still good.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:26 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mhdena
Where are these problem cards coming from?

I bought a few from SVM on ebay a few months that are still good.
i got my directly from Hyatt....

FDW
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:29 am

Came here via a LoyaltyLobby post. Just wanted to report that the one remaining Hyatt gift card I have (bought from SVM on eBay) still has the proper balance.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
I posted on the thread: "Buying a Gift Card on Amazon.com" by mistake.
The post should be on this thread.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
I also had two zeroed e-gift cards, which I unfortunately didn't notice until I got to the desk to pay checking out of the Grand Cypress.

Phone service told me they had been used over the summer at two properties I had never been to (Jersey City and Lake Tahoe)

Hyatt was quick to reissue (the next day) but that didn't help me and I unfortunately had to change my plans to cover the stay with the gift cards.

I agree with the upthread comment that this is likely a brute force (or other) hack, since all a person would need is the number.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
From what I've read, it seems to be effecting people who purchased last December when the cards were offered at 10% off.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Mary2e
From what I've read, it seems to be effecting people who purchased last December when the cards were offered at 10% off.
I purchased a gift card from a 3rd party reseller back in May and had this same issue when I went to use it a couple months later (lesson learned). The 3rd party vendor fixed the error in my case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.