Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Failing that, I might consider purchase a $250 or $500 Hyatt gift card using some Amex Membership Rewards points I want to unload--again, assuming they'd be usable at the Grand Hyatt Kauai's restaurants.
I am guessing you do not regularly read the Hyatt forum? Might want to read the thread about all the recent travails with Hyatt Gift Cards before investing in one.

There's always been an ABC Store nearby. Great for improving breakfast, picnic lunches, etc. But I don't see one near either the GK Kauai or Koloa Landing. Is there one and I'm missing it? If there isn't one, what are some good grocery stores / alternatives nearby?
Sueoka Store in Koloa Town, which is different from but not far from Koloa Landing, is now owned by ABC Stores but last I was there still managed by the Sueoka family under temporary contract. Thankfully still more of a Hawaiian general grocery than another ABC Store. See it before it changes.

If I can't use points / GCs for meals, can anyone recommend decent, reasonably priced restaurants in the Koloa area?
I'd suggest reading Trip Advisor for Lihuie, Koloa and Poipu or even points farther west and seeing if anything speaks to you. The food price gap between the mainland and Kauai is greater than it used to be.

Generally speaking the most cost-effective places, or maybe I should say the most interesting cost-effective places, tend to be local Hawaiian plates (cooked meat, usually with rice as the main side) or even poke (raw fish), but if you don't like either it really does not help much. If you do I like Tip Top in Lihuie for breakfast and Sueoka Snack Shop in Koloa for lunch. The first is plain and not always predictable, but can be outstanding in a local sort of way. (I am assuming from context you are a first time visitor and suggest pineapple macadamia nut pancakes and try a loco moco even if pass it around the table and split it). The second is takeout on the side of the grocery store and even more local and unpredictable. It's an acquired Kauai taste and I've acquired it. Read the reviews and see what you think first.

There are some interesting less-expensive place in Kapaa but that means getting through the Lihuie traffic and into the Kapaa traffic just to get there. Which means I am still assuming you are a first time visitor and am warning you traffic can get frustrating, especially if it is later in the day.

Last edited by jayer; Jul 25, 2016 at 12:56 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:48 pm

Thanks Jayer.

* Ugh. No, sure haven't checked the Hyatt forum regularly. Thanks for Hyatt GCs Heads Up--that looked like my best value for transferring MR points (will be closing my MR Premier Gold or getting the Amex EveryDay card to keep the points alive).

* Thanks also for the store, restaurant, and dish suggestions.

This will be my wife and I's 4th trip to the State of Hawaii. We've only been to Kauai once--that was via cruise ship. We've hit other islands for longer stays (Oahu, The Big Island, and Maui) but this is our first "long" stay to Kauai.

I hate seafood (wife likes sushi) but *love* loco moco--been craving it for some time now.

We're staying on Kauai for 6 nights so appreciate the suggestions.

Originally Posted by jayer
I am guessing you do not regularly read the Hyatt forum? Might want to read the thread about all the recent travails with Hyatt Gift Cards before investing in one.

Sueoka Store in Koloa Town, which is different from but not far from Koloa Landing, is now owned by ABC Stores but last I was there still managed by the Sueoka family under temporary contract. Thankfully still more of a Hawaiian general grocery than another ABC Store. See it before it changes.

I'd suggest reading Trip Advisor for Lihuie, Koloa and Poipu or even points farther west and seeing if anything speaks to you. The food price gap between the mainland and Kauai is greater than it used to be.

Generally speaking the most cost-effective places, or maybe I should say the most interesting cost-effective places, tend to be local Hawaiian plates (cooked meat, usually with rice as the main side) or even poke (raw fish), but if you don't like either it really does not help much. If you do I like Tip Top in Lihuie for breakfast and Sueoka Snack Shop in Koloa for lunch. The first is plain and not always predictable, but can be outstanding in a local sort of way. (I am assuming from context you are a first time visitor and suggest pineapple macadamia nut pancakes and try a loco moco even if pass it around the table and split it). The second is takeout on the side of the grocery store and even more local and unpredictable. It's an acquired Kauai taste and I've acquired it. Read the reviews and see what you think first.

There are some interesting less-expensive place in Kapaa but that means getting through the Lihuie traffic and into the Kapaa traffic just to get there. Which means I am still assuming you are a first time visitor and am warning you traffic can get frustrating, especially if it is later in the day.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by jayer

The TA has its pros and cons but the Kauai forum is one of the most helpful forums I have found. Lots of really good info and helpful response from people that really know the island.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
The TA has its pros and cons but the Kauai forum is one of the most helpful forums I have found. Lots of really good info and helpful response from people that really know the island.
Thanks for that. I haven't had great luck with other TA forums so I tend to steer clear of them all; good to know the Kauai one is friendly / helpful--may have to give it a try.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest
I am planning a trip to Kauai & going to stay at Grand Hyatt. I was wondering if anyone can give me details on Club Lounge that has been there recently. I am wondering what is served there it says cont breakfast is it worth the extra points or $$ to upgrade to a club room.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:14 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Failing that, I might consider purchase a $250 or $500 Hyatt gift card using some Amex Membership Rewards points I want to unload--again, assuming they'd be usable at the Grand Hyatt Kauai's restaurants. One thing I recall from the T&Cs for the Hyatt GCs using MR points was that they were only good for Hyatt properties in the U.S. and Canada--obviously not a problem for Hawaii. But so many nice Hyatt properties abroad that I've hesitated redeeming MR points for the Hyatt GCs.
We had dinner at Tidepools last month and the party at an adjacent table used Hyatt gift cards. They did have the "zero balance" problem with one of them, but the restaurant had no issues with them.

If I can't use points / GCs for meals, can anyone recommend decent, reasonably priced restaurants in the Koloa area? Don't expect hotel restaurants to be reasonably priced--but that's fine when gratis, or highly subsidized, with points or GCs. Looking for mid-range casual dining if its on my dime. Maybe one high-end restaurant for a splurge. But I'm fine with sushi / noodles, tex-mex, italian, etc.
I agree with the TA recommendation ... but I posted several reviews a few weeks ago :-) We enjoyed Pizzetta in Koloa and Kauai Beer Company in Lihue for a nice change of pace from seafood. JO2 in Kapaa was our favorite for dinner and probably one of the best restaurants on the island.

Finally, on all the Hawaiian isle resort areas I've stayed at, there's always been an ABC Store nearby. Great for improving breakfast, picnic lunches, etc. But I don't see one near either the GK Kauai or Koloa Landing. Is there one and I'm missing it? If there isn't one, what are some good grocery stores / alternatives nearby?
There are 2 grocery stores/markets in Koloa and a Whalers General Store (similar to an ABC Store) in the Poipu Shopping Village close to the GH.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Contact

Does anyone have a contact or a good email address to reach out to this property?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:19 am

I called up to make a reservation for early 2017 and the rep informed me that the grand hyatt kauai is not participating in the cash and points program. Is this a new thing?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TheSkyIsNotTheLimit
I called up to make a reservation for early 2017 and the rep informed me that the grand hyatt kauai is not participating in the cash and points program. Is this a new thing?
Seems to be a trend among the popular redemption properties.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

P+C has always been a choice... so not really surprising that properties with high demand don't make P+C available far in advance.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest
Has anyone stayed at this property recently & stayed at club lounge property that could give me an update on the club lounge. I understand Hyatt properties are starting to offer free booze at club lounges now wondered if this Hyatt is offering that?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:34 pm

Hyatt Kauai recent trip experience

Just returned from trip - 8 nights. Overall a great trip - 2 garden suites for 6 people which were fantastic. (one using DSU, one w Pts). Only complaint on suites is one bedroom only, and no pull out sofa, but very spacious and had a great view of grounds and off to ocean.

Diamond members are offered a cabana voucher (worth $75) vs standard room amenity, or points. Very useful/ valuable. Note - if you plan on using pool, while they say 'no reserving chairs' - if you want chairs, grab towels and reserve. Some lesser crowded areas are by lazy river and far side (opposite of activities desk) by bridges on way to lagoon. Salt water lagoon great alternative to ocean as ocean is def. rocky bottom with heavy surf, so if you aren't comfortable with ocean this is the way to go.

Our whole party got club access no problem - club was very spacious, outdoor seating was great with ocean views - solid breakfast as well as late PM. No free booze but standard honor bar with nice selections.

If you are thinking about the Luau - I'd suggest making sure its a day that allows for outdoor set up - we booked and realized it was set up in the conference area - not exactly an authentic feel that I've experienced at other ones.

One complaint - Tidepools reservation was a bust - they are doing construction during day, and then opening up for dinner each night, we were seated 30 min late on a table that wasn't close to stable and unusable. They should just close and get it right. Management was not very helpful there, and ultimately we ended up eating at Dondero's with hotel management comping our dinner. Dondero's was excellent - normally don't think of Italian in Hawaii but it was not heavy, and great outdoor seating areas.

Lastly - in the "Andaz Maui vs Hyatt Kauai" debate - the are both excellent. Andaz has an amazing breakfast, a more functional beach. Hyatt Kauai has a more usable pool area (waterslides, lazy river, sporting areas). Kauai is clearly more 'family friendly' though the Andaz was great with our kids as well when we visited.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by nittanydave
Just returned from trip - 8 nights. Overall a great trip - 2 garden suites for 6 people which were fantastic. (one using DSU, one w Pts). Only complaint on suites is one bedroom only, and no pull out sofa, but very spacious and had a great view of grounds and off to ocean.

Diamond members are offered a cabana voucher (worth $75) vs standard room amenity, or points. Very useful/ valuable. Note - if you plan on using pool, while they say 'no reserving chairs' - if you want chairs, grab towels and reserve. Some lesser crowded areas are by lazy river and far side (opposite of activities desk) by bridges on way to lagoon. Salt water lagoon great alternative to ocean as ocean is def. rocky bottom with heavy surf, so if you aren't comfortable with ocean this is the way to go.

Our whole party got club access no problem - club was very spacious, outdoor seating was great with ocean views - solid breakfast as well as late PM. No free booze but standard honor bar with nice selections.

If you are thinking about the Luau - I'd suggest making sure its a day that allows for outdoor set up - we booked and realized it was set up in the conference area - not exactly an authentic feel that I've experienced at other ones.

One complaint - Tidepools reservation was a bust - they are doing construction during day, and then opening up for dinner each night, we were seated 30 min late on a table that wasn't close to stable and unusable. They should just close and get it right. Management was not very helpful there, and ultimately we ended up eating at Dondero's with hotel management comping our dinner. Dondero's was excellent - normally don't think of Italian in Hawaii but it was not heavy, and great outdoor seating areas.

Lastly - in the "Andaz Maui vs Hyatt Kauai" debate - the are both excellent. Andaz has an amazing breakfast, a more functional beach. Hyatt Kauai has a more usable pool area (waterslides, lazy river, sporting areas). Kauai is clearly more 'family friendly' though the Andaz was great with our kids as well when we visited.
Is the cabana voucher good for a free cabana for one day only?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:21 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pickles1107
Is the cabana voucher good for a free cabana for one day only?
Yes, one day only. There are 4 or 5 different "types" of cabanas, and the voucher is good for one of the lower cost options. You can pay the difference if you want a "better" cabana. I recall we had to pay $25, in addition to the voucher, for a cabana in the "adults only" section and I think it was more than $100 to "upgrade" to one of the ocean front cabanas.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by nittanydave
Thank you for your informative review! I'm headed there in two weeks.

Did you use points to redeem for the garden suite or was that room upgraded at check-in? I redeemed at the regular rate and was hoping to get a suite upgrade based on my Diamond Guest of Honor status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.