Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; Southwest A-List; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by DaveH
I'm not finding any either. Would be nice if there were a scraper/tool to suss out such things.
Try this strategy I saw posted the other day.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by frankhi
Is Access to Anara Spa facilities (lap pool, locker areas etc.,) still complimentary for Platinums? It was in the past, but is no longer listed under plat benefits. Thanks
It was last time I was there in late December. It's an amazing Spa! One of my favorite.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
This hotel seems fully booked out in june

Does this sound correct

Was looking forward to staying here over the st regis as we have a child
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by AndDee
This hotel seems fully booked out in june

Does this sound correct

Was looking forward to staying here over the st regis as we have a child
What website are you using?
Did you only check the dates you wanted, or did you look at all of June? I see availability for a 7 night stay in the middle of the month. Check-in June 12th.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:32 am

Staying at the GH Kauai near the end of August. Booked a standard room for 4 nights with points. I am Platinum... any suggestions on how to up my chances of scoring a sweet (and free) upgrade?

It's our first time in Hawaii, so trying to ensure it will be the most awesome trip ever.

Thanks, all!
Old May 28, 2016, 10:45 am

Just returned from five night's stay, in Shipwreck wing, which has great access to pools, etc. Just a heads-up: there's a lot of exterior work going on at the ocean end of that wing. They had closed off many of the rooms at that end. Suspect that's why the hotel seems fully booked out in June. The food service at poolside is under reconstruction; also the small reservations desk where you would pick up towels, make cabana reservations, etc. When all is done, it'll be better than ever, I hope!
Old May 31, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: US. HH Diamond but chasing Hyatt
Originally Posted by fsujmt
Staying at the GH Kauai near the end of August. Booked a standard room for 4 nights with points. I am Platinum... any suggestions on how to up my chances of scoring a sweet (and free) upgrade?

It's our first time in Hawaii, so trying to ensure it will be the most awesome trip ever.

Thanks, all!
Email the GM. Google for his name/email. Pending availability, you could do as well as a direct ocean view, although in August that might be asking too much. You won't get a suite; there aren't enough to get through the Diamonds trying to use upgrade certificates in low season.

It will be the most awesome trip ever.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CastAStone
Email the GM. Google for his name/email. Pending availability, you could do as well as a direct ocean view
For platinum status (that half the occupants will have) when there's high demand... very doubtful. Let's be realistic. Having unrealistic expectation is the one thing that ruins a trip quickly.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Great common areas, slightly dated rooms, not so great location

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

1571 Poipu Road Koloa, HI US 96756

Great common areas, slightly dated rooms, not so great location (6 Photos)

Check In

very efficient. The person I checked in with was named coreen. We tipped $20.

Room

Garden suite 1007.

Suite has classic decor (not our style). Jet tub. Mostly well maintained but you can see some old switches and the sliding doors for bedroom are a bit squeaky. 

The main problem is the distance. You have to walk thru a concrete maze. I'd much rather walk thru the landscaped areas but that's not really an option here.

Service

We didn't encounter any problems. Nothing that really surprised us (good or bad).

Dining

We had drinks at Hale Nalu and some nachos. Prices were high but the quality was good.

We had club access and we really enjoyed the club. The breakfast and dinner spread was very good. Even though the hotel was sold out, the club never felt crowded. Eating in the club was much more relaxing than any restaurants. It added to the calm and relaxing vacation that we were looking for!

This I think is the main problem with this hotel. It's located on a beach that can is considered dangerous by the Kauai Lifeguard. The beach has a lot of rocks and isn't very good.

Also, the water color here is not that great compared to north shore which has beautiful turquoise color.

I have posted some pictures of the resort benefits/amenities here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/mintcilantro-albums-grand-hyatt-kauai.html

Overall

For folks who plan to spend most of their time in the resort, this is a good option. The common areas & pools are spectacular.

Cash and points is 12.k + $150 +$50 for tax and fees. The only reason we could justify this is the direct flight to Lihue from our home airport SJC. This is the best points option in kauai. The St Regis property has great view but the building is ugly and the common areas not as impressive. The sheraton is a tired old property (with a perfect location though). The new hilton garden inn is not exactly on a beach.

Great common areas, slightly dated rooms, not so great location

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 31, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
There are very good quality pictures of this resort on oyster: https://www.oyster.com/kauai/hotels/...esort-and-spa/

I stayed on cash and points + DSU. The rate listed when I checked in was $280/night. Probably this is what hyatt reimburses the hotel. I really liked having the space in the garden suite but the walk to common areas was very long and tedious. I recommend spending a little bit more for an ocean view suite closer to lobby/pool area.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Just did a two day stay here on points--this was my second stay at the hotel. Got upgraded to this massive suite near the Poipu Garden. The Diamond amenities have been widely reported, so I won't dwell on them. But this hotel really does a good job.

Two minor issues: Our room was located somewhere between Lihue Airport and the mainland. It's a solid 10 minute walk to the parking lot.

If you leave food out, ants will find it. We learned this when we dumped some mango and papaya peels in the trash and found the trash can crawling with ants a few hours later.

In any event, I can't say enough good things about the club and hotel staff. I remember that about the last stay--they're absolutely wonderful to interact with. Great rooms too. It was hard to get a 2p checkout as a Diamond, but they were extremely accommodating for us. Ended up being a moot point since we didn't need it. Our room had one of those Toto Washlets with the heated seat. GF decided she can't live without a heated seat now. Thanks Hyatt.

Everything on the west end of the hotel has been renovated according to staff. The east side of the property is being done now (as has been mentioned up thread). Didn't notice any huge changes, but they probably just refreshed some stuff.

Do be careful in the ocean there. Lots of rip currents and big rocks floating around. Same up on the cliffs. Don't go cliff jumping with the locals unless you're a strong swimmer.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Are any Garden Suites better located than others? Tranquility/privacy is one of the considerations.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by CastAStone
Email the GM. Google for his name/email. Pending availability, you could do as well as a direct ocean view, although in August that might be asking too much. You won't get a suite; there aren't enough to get through the Diamonds trying to use upgrade certificates in low season.

It will be the most awesome trip ever.
Thanks! I am back and forth on whether or not to email the GM. I have his email information. I did email them from what Hyatt Concierge gave me and received a very nice response back from GHK and they told me that they would add notes to our reservation to offer an upgrade at check-in. They also noted that I could upgrade to a confirmed ocean view suite at an additional $200/night (but not sure if I can swallow that extra $800 for 4 nights when I've already spent 25K points a night.)
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:15 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RTW1
For platinum status (that half the occupants will have) when there's high demand... very doubtful. Let's be realistic. Having unrealistic expectation is the one thing that ruins a trip quickly.
No one's being unrealistic. I'm being completely realistic by ASKING what I can do to up my chance of getting an upgrade. It's Hawaii. We won't be spending much time in the room.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I was responding to the poster that was getting your hopes up..... not realistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.