Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: US. HH Diamond but chasing Hyatt
Originally Posted by jayer
The hotel is on a difficult beach that does not lend itself to tourist splash use. Pretty much ever.
While there are some very nice beaches on Kauai, it shouldn't be mistaken for Maui, where there's so many great beaches some of them are basically abandoned. There's a reason they call it the "garden isle".

Its a 5 minute drive to Poipu beach, where there are very safe beach areas. But it's crowded even in the off season.

Last edited by CastAStone; Sep 30, 2016 at 7:20 am Reason: fixing quote
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:36 am

Thanks for everyone's help thus far!
I have two rooms booked on points, would love to switch one out for points and cash and apply a DSU. Has anyone had luck at calling the hotel and asking them to help with that? Have tried calling Diamond desk without any luck.

Also, anyone have tips on renting a minivan in Kaui? Sorry this is slightly OT but they are EXPENSIVE! Looks like for 9 days they are coming up at over 2K! Is there Uber on Kauai?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jayer
The hotel is on a difficult beach that does not lend itself to tourist splash use. Pretty much ever.
My daughter (then 16) got flipped while on a boogie board literally on shore. I was certain her neck was broken but thank G she was OK. I would not recommend this beach to anyone.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
We stayed here at the beginning of Sept for 6 nights. This is my first stay at a Hyatt that I can recall in years. Due to a status match I am Plat. This was recognized upon check in and even though we had a super low rate ($210) for the lowest cat room were upgraded to a partial ocean room which was bright and lovely.

We really enjoyed our time here the grounds are gorgeous and everyone on staff always says aloha when they pass by. I loved that. Turn down was done every night and they placed small flowers on the bed with cookies. They also place flowers everywhere which really is a nice island touch.

The pools here are incredible. I don't think I have ever seen such lavish pools. You could spend a whole day just exploring the different areas of it. We also hit the spa and had great massages which we needed after a lot of hiking. I also advise you to do the coastal trail that starts at the left end (as you look at it from the lobby) of the Hyatt's beach. 2 miles each way very nice.

We really did not eat on property but for breakfast once and that's it. It was a buffet that had everything one would expect. The valets were fast and very nice. They also have a number of shops with souvenirs that are reasonable priced as I saw a few of the same items at other places for the same price which was surprising.

After we checked out we went up to Princeville for 6 nights at the St Regis. I am Happy to answer any questions for people looking for direct comparisons. This was our second trip to Kauai and last time we split our stay as well at the Sheraton and Westin. Overall this is a great property that I would highly recommend.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
We stayed here at the beginning of Sept for 6 nights. This is my first stay at a Hyatt that I can recall in years. Due to a status match I am Plat. This was recognized upon check in and even though we had a super low rate ($210) for the lowest cat room were upgraded to a partial ocean room which was bright and lovely.

We really enjoyed our time here the grounds are gorgeous and everyone on staff always says aloha when they pass by. I loved that. Turn down was done every night and they placed small flowers on the bed with cookies. They also place flowers everywhere which really is a nice island touch.

The pools here are incredible. I don't think I have ever seen such lavish pools. You could spend a whole day just exploring the different areas of it. We also hit the spa and had great massages which we needed after a lot of hiking. I also advise you to do the coastal trail that starts at the left end (as you look at it from the lobby) of the Hyatt's beach. 2 miles each way very nice.

We really did not eat on property but for breakfast once and that's it. It was a buffet that had everything one would expect. The valets were fast and very nice. They also have a number of shops with souvenirs that are reasonable priced as I saw a few of the same items at other places for the same price which was surprising.

After we checked out we went up to Princeville for 6 nights at the St Regis. I am Happy to answer any questions for people looking for direct comparisons. This was our second trip to Kauai and last time we split our stay as well at the Sheraton and Westin. Overall this is a great property that I would highly recommend.
Great info. We would be staying here during thanksgiving weekend for 3 day. We are a couple and have a baby. What are the things u suggest to see in around Kauai.

Both of us dont know swimming and are not interested in hiking as we have a baby.

And general question to all. I booked the hotel thru citi thank u points. Now the gold passport is not able to see the rates for which i booked. Now what are the options for me to upgrade using GP points. Platinum support could not help me.

Will i earn GP points on this paid stay ? Hyatt gp csr said no.

Any hope for me to get points upgrade option ?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:39 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Thumbs up Upgrade for $ invitation for our "free nights"

We just got a nice email for upcoming reservations to upgrade our free standard nights to an deluxe ocean view for 75$ per night. I quickly responded but never heard back from them. I called reservations at the hotel and the gold passport number. No one could tell me if the upgrade came through. The invitation was sent by gold desk apparently selected by algorithm. We are only platinum members.

This seems like a nice deal for us since we prefer this type of room accommodation. The hotel did say you can not use points to add club room to the "free" nights. Does that included upgrade for $ on top of free?

Thanks for the details. We are looking forward to this time. Any additional advice?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by ijkh
We just got a nice email for upcoming reservations to upgrade our free standard nights to an deluxe ocean view for 75$ per night. I quickly responded but never heard back from them. I called reservations at the hotel and the gold passport number. No one could tell me if the upgrade came through. The invitation was sent by gold desk apparently selected by algorithm. We are only platinum members.

This seems like a nice deal for us since we prefer this type of room accommodation. The hotel did say you can not use points to add club room to the "free" nights. Does that included upgrade for $ on top of free?

Thanks for the details. We are looking forward to this time. Any additional advice?
Was this an eStandby e-mail? Those upgrades are not confirmed until check-in.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:43 am

Booked 3 nights here from Oct 30-Nov 2 through the Citi ThankYou point portal. I am a Hyatt Diamond member, will I still get status benefits even though I booked it through the ThankYou portal? I called Citi and asked for my Hyatt reservation number, and they said they "send the reservation to the hotel 2-3 days before, so I can call the hotel then."
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by knauerj
Booked 3 nights here from Oct 30-Nov 2 through the Citi ThankYou point portal. I am a Hyatt Diamond member, will I still get status benefits even though I booked it through the ThankYou portal? I called Citi and asked for my Hyatt reservation number, and they said they "send the reservation to the hotel 2-3 days before, so I can call the hotel then."
You will receive your bonus amenity and club access, yes.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by knauerj
Why wouldn't you book 4 and get the 4th night free?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
. . . .and they said they "send the reservation to the hotel 2-3 days before, so I can call the hotel then."
This part makes no sense. Citi has not already given you a Hyatt reservation number?

If you gave them your Hyatt number in making the reservation it could in theory and should in theory be already tied to the reservation and the reservation already be in your upcoming stays list.

If it is not there but you have the Hyatt reservation number you should be able to add your Hyatt number online or by phone.

You want it to be there early for whatever room improvement they might be willing to throw in, and to have the normal Diamond club and spa access pre-arranged.

If absolutely none of that works and it should, it becomes a great idea to physically hand the card to the FDC along with the credit card. Saves any awkward discussion about being a Diamond.

You will enjoy both the hotel and the island.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Why wouldn't you book 4 and get the 4th night free?
I only have a Citi Premier card. Wish I could apply for the Prestige (which offers the 4th night free), but Citi's new application rules won't allow it.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by skj
You can use GCs at restaurants. I would assume they can used on anything else that could be charged to your room, but not if you have to pay the third party directly.
Ended up using my GCs for restaurants only, but was told excursions could be charged to the room--and so GCs could be used to cover that upon check-out. Great property and terrific staff--had a wonderful time.

The beach was red flagged both days I was there. Good for surfing; but large waves were breaking nearly at the shore with a lot of force. So not good for swimming and forget snorkeling. Never did make it to Poipu Beach Park down the road, but I've read the ocean there's a lot calmer.

I second the recommendation to do the heritage trail hike along the cliffs. Spectacular scenery. Didn't do the whole thing, but I would on any future visit.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:45 pm

Anyone have an email contact to the GM?
Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:25 pm

Staying here through Christmas. Any recommendations for a Christmas eve dinner in Kauai?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.