Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by icec
Thank you for the detailed post! This is very helpful. I was looking at maybe doing the LE package and upgrading to the "premium" food/drink, but I hadn't realized there were as many limitations.

Looking forward to your review!
Don't get me wrong, if your goal is to drink for a few hours a day, then the $190 per day per couple is not a bad price. There is perfectly serviceable booze available and you can "get your money's worth" if that's your thing. Fifteen years ago I would have signed up for it if I were in the Maldives. But fifteen years ago, if I were on my own dime, I would have been in Cozumel instead of the Maldives.

We were fairly active each day (excursions, snorkeling off our portion of the beach, spa, etc.) and, IIRC, we didn't have any booze before 5 p.m. on any of our 6 days. I think we started with the free globalist cocktail each day except Saturday (when we had the management cocktails), and ended up spending probably $250/day on average on alcohol -- essentially a couple more ($14-16) cocktails at the bar after the freebie, then a $100-200 bottle of wine with dinner (suck up the markup, it's part of the deal!), then maybe a glass of port with dessert or a nice cognac or whiskey at the bar, and then perhaps later in the evening, a drink or two each back at home using the minibar and the amply available ice.

All that was really afterthoughts though. We saw sea turtles on our first snorkeling excursion and after that all we were really thinking about was when we were getting back in the water! (ended up seeing at least 8 sea turtles, swimming with a couple of them for ages, also swimming with reef sharks and an eagle ray, and seeing dolphins on our ride back to Kooddoo).
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Don't get me wrong, if your goal is to drink for a few hours a day, then the $190 per day per couple is not a bad price. There is perfectly serviceable booze available and you can "get your money's worth" if that's your thing. Fifteen years ago I would have signed up for it if I were in the Maldives. But fifteen years ago, if I were on my own dime, I would have been in Cozumel instead of the Maldives.

We were fairly active each day (excursions, snorkeling off our portion of the beach, spa, etc.) and, IIRC, we didn't have any booze before 5 p.m. on any of our 6 days. I think we started with the free globalist cocktail each day except Saturday (when we had the management cocktails), and ended up spending probably $250/day on average on alcohol -- essentially a couple more ($14-16) cocktails at the bar after the freebie, then a $100-200 bottle of wine with dinner (suck up the markup, it's part of the deal!), then maybe a glass of port with dessert or a nice cognac or whiskey at the bar, and then perhaps later in the evening, a drink or two each back at home using the minibar and the amply available ice.

All that was really afterthoughts though. We saw sea turtles on our first snorkeling excursion and after that all we were really thinking about was when we were getting back in the water! (ended up seeing at least 8 sea turtles, swimming with a couple of them for ages, also swimming with reef sharks and an eagle ray, and seeing dolphins on our ride back to Kooddoo).
Did you do any scuba diving, or was this all via snorkeling?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Martellus
Did you do any scuba diving, or was this all via snorkeling?
All snorkeling. At the time, the turtles near Hadahaa were maybe a 5 minute swim west from the dusk jetty. Sharks were in various places -- we were in Villa 11 and frequently just got in the water directly from our part of the beach (as long as tide wasn't too low -- there's an app for that) and would see schools of fish, an occasional reek shark.

The "Journey to Island Formation" excursion was something like $700 but worth every penny -- swam with at least 6 other turtles, the ray, and found some better coral, etc; plus it was cool to be able to see a future island (i.e. a coral mass), a sandbank (island in formation), a channel between two formed islands, and then a local island, all in a day (snorkeling at the first three). I'm sure we were lucky that we had the boat and 5-man crew to ourselves but even with another couple or two it would have been great, as long as they were able to swim. Will write it up soon, probably during Thanksgiving week. I used a cheap underwater camera from Amazon and got some pictures too.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:37 pm

AI Package

Sorry if this has been answered but for anyone that did the AI package, were the bar snacks included?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by clk2018
Sorry if this has been answered but for anyone that did the AI package, were the bar snacks included?
At least on the Premium AI you could substitute food at the bar for a meal. On several instances we did lunch at the bar instead of the main restaurant. Never did it for dinner though
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
Could I expect an upgrade as Explorist on a points stay at PH Maldives in February? Any experience?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by clk2018
AI allows (IIRC) 2 courses per person at lunch. You can substitute bar snacks for one or both of these courses. Generally, lunch is the slowest meal, since Globalists and those on paid stays usually skip lunch and have late breakfast/dinner only.

I had no problem ordering lunch via the menu from the main restaurant and having it brought to the bar/beach area.

Originally Posted by Gioventu
Could I expect an upgrade as Explorist on a points stay at PH Maldives in February? Any experience?
Certainly not impossible. We got upgraded on our final night of a 10-day points stay to a Overwater Villa and I am only Discoverist (and only because of the credit card). We did spend around $6-7k at the resort though (AI, excursions, etc), which certainly didn't hurt our chances.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Hhonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
Certainly not impossible. We got upgraded on our final night of a 10-day points stay to a Overwater Villa and I am only Discoverist (and only because of the credit card). We did spend around $6-7k at the resort though (AI, excursions, etc), which certainly didn't hurt our chances.
Do people have to request upgrades, and how frequently do you check? Do you email in advance or check in with the front desk every few days?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by herokitty
Do people have to request upgrades, and how frequently do you check? Do you email in advance or check in with the front desk every few days?
There isn't really a front desk. You'll have an assigned host who looks out for you. Our host, Shifaaz, was top-notch. When we went on a fishing trip and didn't catch anything, for instance, word made its way to him, and within 5 minutes of our arriving back in our villa, he called to offer a complimentary dinner at the seafood buffet instead of our regular dinner at the dining room. I imagine that an upgrade to an OW villa could work similarly -- if you let your host know that you might be interested in something like that for your last night, and if it happens to be available, I bet they'll make it happen. If you were there for 7 days, I'd probably mention something on day 2 or 3 and then check back in on day 5 or early day 6 if you hadn't heard anything.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Surprised they would upgrade someone for ONE night to a villa that is then requiring a complete refresh on top of the accommodation the guest just vacated.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by herokitty
Our host asked us on the 8th day if we'd like to move to a OW villa the following night. There's no front desk or formalized process.

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Surprised they would upgrade someone for ONE night to a villa that is then requiring a complete refresh on top of the accommodation the guest just vacated.
Yeah, certainly unexpected but was a really nice touch.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:23 pm

So I just caught the exception on the PH website that says AI rate only applies to globalist members if using redemption nights. I assume this is strict and I have no chance as a WOH member with no status? I was planning on transferring UR points to book...... but this throws a wrench in my plans. The $210/pp was enticing bc my significant other and I enjoy eating drinking and could hopefully find more value then having to worry about skipping meals and spending too much.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
So I just caught the exception on the PH website that says AI rate only applies to globalist members if using redemption nights. I assume this is strict and I have no chance as a WOH member with no status? I was planning on transferring UR points to book...... but this throws a wrench in my plans. The $210/pp was enticing bc my significant other and I enjoy eating drinking and could hopefully find more value then having to worry about skipping meals and spending too much.
I assume you're referring to this language: "*Meal plan rates are applicable for any hotel published rate and World of Hyatt redemption nights by Globalist members." -- it then says "For enquiries on Meal Plans rates for other bookings, please contact us at +960 682 1234 or email: [email protected]."

Why not send an email and ask what the cost is for Premium AI for a regular member on redemption nights? I am sure they would be happy to sell it to you at some price, presumably just with an upcharge for breakfast (which is otherwise included for paid bookings and for Globalist redemptions).
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Can you ask a Globalist to do a Guest of Honor booking for you and just transfer him the points over? Easy peasy and you get the other benefits as well.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
-----

Last edited by synd; Nov 29, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.