Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by roder
My wife and I are heading to the PH Maldives next week and a quick check of the weather has got me pretty anxious-- Thunderstorms/Wind every day? Looks like this is the forecast every day.

Anyone currently on the island and can help confirm what it's actually like? Is this a "Florida" style forecast where it will rain a little bit here and there or is it really full day thunderstorms and miserable weather??
Sitting in my villa here now. It never rains more than a few minutes at a time--weather is beautiful outside right now.

Don't worry about the weather.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
It never rains more than a few minutes at a time
Except yesterday .
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Sitting in my villa here now. It never rains more than a few minutes at a time--weather is beautiful outside right now.

Don't worry about the weather.
Glad to hear! We'll be there shortly.. sitting in the lounge in MLE waiting for our flight to the island.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
Except yesterday .
Though the last two days have been beautiful out!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks!

I'm also headed there for early next week.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:03 pm

Park Hyatt or The Conrad? I have enough points for both.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by ual902
You might've just answered you own question. I'm doing both in April. 4 nights PH and 5 Conrad. Yeah, it's 2K+ for 2 people for the transfers, but I think it'll be worth it for the different experiences.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
You might've just answered you own question. I'm doing both in April. 4 nights PH and 5 Conrad. Yeah, it's 2K+ for 2 people for the transfers, but I think it'll be worth it for the different experiences.
Now $2K for the transfers, that I'm not sure about.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:41 pm

Now $2K for the transfers, that I'm not sure about.
It is kinda crazy. 500pp++ for each hotel. We spent less cash on our business class flights overseas (albeit using a ton of miles).
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed at the Park Hyatt Maldives for 7 nights around New Year's Eve. I tried to resist doing a traditional trip report as that has been exhausted here many times over, but I do feel that my experience was somewhat different than that of what most people here have reported, so I wanted to share some of my impressions.

As a whole, I went into the stay with somewhat low expectations, considering the fact that while Park Hyatt is certainly a fantastic brand that I am a big fan of, it is not, in my opinion, truly world-class. It is really a fantastic points redemption, but anyone who is paying rack rate at this hotel is out-of-their-mind crazy considering the competition nearby (unless you're an avid snorkeler/diver, maybe).

That said, I came out of the stay more impressed than I thought going in. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful, the service was better-than-expected, and overall, I had a good time here. It would really be a hard sell to justify paying $2-$3K / night for a FS, Cheval Blanc, etc. stay if you have the Hyatt points to spare.

I've organized my takeaways by topic, and they are a random "stream-of-consciousness" collection of my thoughts / impressions. They don't cover all elements of the hotel and our experience, but things that I wanted to highlight that I don't think have been fully discussed on this thread and reviews I've read.

Accommodations
  • We were double-upgraded at arrival from a Park Villa to a Water Villa, which was incredibly generous (before the PM's come streaming in - no, we didn't do anything special to get this, and we found out about it at check-in. I believe it was because it was during the holiday peak time and the hotel was at 98% occupancy). Unfortunately, after reading this thread extensively, I was actually gunning for a Park or Pool Villa, since I was worried about the air conditioning, but our butler said that nothing was available until the last two nights of our stay (and agreed to switch us then). I was disappointed that he didn't even offer us to stick with the original Park Villa, after I made it clear that I didn't want the Water Villa, but I didn't want to push it, as I was very grateful that they did upgrade us.
  • The Water Villas are incredibly hot. I never got the temperature below 25 degrees, and for all five of the days we spent in Villa 43, the A/C unit broke down for 1-2 hours, bringing the room to a scorching 31 degrees. When I brought up this issue to our butler and the hotel staff, it was somewhat condescendingly brushed off, citing the "eco-friendly" aspect of the resort. A maintenance guy did come to our room once, but of course, he showed up once the A/C kicked back into gear. I could deal with 25 degrees (unhappily), but 31 is absolutely unacceptable.
  • The Water Villas are not a 5-star accommodation - period. The rooms are very worn. I understand why this is the case (the elements present a big challenge), but its inexcusable if they want to charge $2K / night rack. The panels to cover the windows were extremely difficult to open, and two of the panels were in fact inoperable. A repairman fixed one of them, but not the other. Either way, this is irrelevant, because in order to keep the room temperature tolerable, all the panels need to be closed basically all day. This made the room incredibly dark, and my SO and I actually found the room cave-like and depressing. This sounds dramatic, but it really was a big bummer to sit in the dark - the lights are not nearly bright enough. That said, the bathrooms are magnificent, and snorkeling directly off the villa was truly excellent.
  • The Pool Villa was a completely different experience. For one, the A/C was fantastic. Most importantly, however, the room was bright, airy, and felt much more new than the water villa. I truly regret not staying in the pool villa the entire trip, even with the snorkeling from the water villa. The Pool Villa is my recommendation for staying here, and it really is a fantastic room.
  • I should mention that one night after it rained overnight, I turned on the Pool Villa's indoor shower, but was then distracted by my SO who called me from outside. When I returned 5 minutes later, the entire bathroom and even parts of the main room were flooded with 2" of water - my guess is that the overnight rain caused something to happen with the plumbing, and the drain got plugged. This overflow occurred within 5 minutes of my stepping outside, and was very unpleasant.

Food & Beverage
  • Overall, I would say F&B quality was average, not great. This pains me to say, because the executive chef Pankaj is truly a fantastic, personable guy and I believe a great cook in the right environment. My interactions with him were truly a highlight of our stay, so I encourage all guests to make sure they get to know him.
  • The breakfast buffet is underwhelming. I recognize the hurdles this hotel has to go through to get supplies, etc. but that doesn't change the fact that fruits were not particularly fresh, the pastries were never anything to write home about, and the humidity caused the buffet breads to go stale during breakfast hours. Breakfast entrees were by-and-large the highlight of the F&B show.
  • Food as a whole was overly oily and not very flavorful, from fish to pasta to Asian dishes.
  • Meat at the Island Grill was fantastic.
  • Prices were very reasonable for F&B considering the location. I came in "under budgeÂt" by a huge margin without even trying to.
  • Apparently there is a coffee bar on the Water Villas jetty where coffee and pastries are served every afternoon. No one told me about this, and I found out from Pankaj (the chef) on our last day.
  • Sundowners were very pleasant and the canapes were a nice pre-dinner snack. Highly enjoyable.
  • On our last night there (and our anniversary dinner), we dined at the Island Grill. The dinner took 2.5 hours, as the kitchen staff lost our order and didn't do anything about it until I said something an hour into the meal. Service recovery was excellent in intentions, but flawed. They rushed out our orders, but brought me an inedible well-done steak instead of medium-rare like I ordered - apparently the waiter heard me incorrectly when we re-placed our orders. Pankaj did everything he could to make it right, but ultimately, I went back to our room having just eaten French fries and a side salad because I didn't want to wait any longer for him to start from scratch. I know things happen, but ultimately this was a very disappointing way to celebrate our anniversary and end our stay. No amount of service recovery (which again, Pankaj handled excellently) could have made this better.

Service
  • As a whole, service here was good. People were clearly trying hard, even if things weren't perfect. A few people really stood out, and that reflected well on the entire staff. There's a bit of an "island time" philosophy going on, which isn't my cup of tea, but its certainly decent overall.
  • While our butler was nice, I don't really understand the purpose of their role. Every morning during breakfast he would come to our table and linger for at least 5, often 10 minutes, making very awkward small talk. Other staff members did the same thing at other meals. I get why they do this, and in theory it is nice, but ultimately: 1. It is awkward, especially with the language barrier and their not-perfect English language skills, and 2. I came here to be remote and enjoy time with my SO, not to spend 20 minutes every day chatting with staff about how much we love the island, how well we slept, etc. They weren't trying to upsell us on activities, which was great, but the smalltalk really became tiresome. Other guests we chatted with during our stay agreed. It sounds like not a big deal, but it was to the point where we were actively avoiding running into certain staffmembers to avoid an unwanted interaction without being rude.
  • Housekeeping and turndown service was excellent, with a nice mini-dessert served every evening. However, one of the welcome amenities, a jar of olives that we never ate, was never cleaned up, and by the time we left the island it was growing mold. It was pretty gross and I expected slightly more attention to detail.

Activities
  • Like many have said, I highly recommend the back of the house tour. It does give insight on why it is very difficult for this hotel to have the same standards as a "normal" property, and why the room, F&B, and activity costs are what they are. We also did a kitchen tour with Pankaj and this was probably the most memorable activity we did.
  • Fishing was probably the most fun we had on the island, and my SO caught a monstrosity of a fish that was then cooked up for dinner. Pankaj treated us and cooked it in 5 different ways (sashimi, steamed, fried, grilled, and curried) and we had a feast, along with a few friends we met on the boat. A really memorable time.
  • We are not PADI-certified, but we did do the "Discover Scuba Diving" activity which I highly recommend for those who want to try diving, but don't have the time to get certified (or wanted to test the waters - literally - first).
  • I can also highly recommend the spa, which gave me one of the best massages of my life. My only regret is that I did not get more treatments.
  • The sunset yoga classes were nice, but very very informal. It almost seemed like the teacher was randomly assigned to do the class based on them not having anything else to do during that time window. Other people in the class seemed equally unimpressed, although my SO absolutely loved it.

Would I return? Probably not, but mainly because there are far too many new places in this world to visit, and I don't think the PHM earns a place on my list for a repeat stay - at least, not within the next ten years. If I had already checked off the majority of my travel bucket list, then yes, I'd probably plan on returning in 2-3 years, as long as they remain as a redemption option with Hyatt Gold Passport.

Well, I ended up typing much more than I originally planned. Hopefully it provides at least some new insight to people planning upcoming trips. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have.
saint likes this.

Last edited by callmedtop; Jan 9, 2016 at 10:00 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:33 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Agree with all your points but why didn't you just tell the butler you didn't want to chat over breakfast? I've done this politely when service had been over zealous. It's an easy fix. I'm afraid they are doing what they are told they have to.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:19 pm

Thanks for the review! A previous reviewer who mentioned the temp in the water villas was the catalyst for making me consider Conrad Maldives instead. Ultimately we decided to do both, and I can't imagine not trying out the WV at the PH, but it will make me think hard if they offer to upgrade our first two nights from PV to WV for free as well.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:20 am

"The Water Villas are incredibly hot. I never got the temperature below 25 degrees, and for all five of the days we spent in Villa 43, the A/C unit broke down for 1-2 hours, bringing the room to a scorching 31 degrees. The panels to cover the windows were extremely difficult to open, and two of the panels were in fact inoperable. Either way, this is irrelevant, because in order to keep the room temperature tolerable, all the panels need to be closed basically all day.The Pool Villa was a completely different experience. For one, the A/C was fantastic. Most importantly, however, the room was bright, airy, and felt much more new than the water villa."

Hi there- thanks so much for your review! I have read different trip reports and the temperature issue is starting to really worry me. As looking at current reports, it is already 31C, and by the time we get there beginning of February it will be warmer I think. Do you think it's not worth it at all to stay at the over the water villa just to see what it's like (we are there 4 nights, 5 days, so could split it 2/2 between pool and over the water villa).

Wondering what people on this thread think, so it seems such a waste to go all the way to the Maldives and not experience one of the over water villas. Although we're booking on points, it's very unlikely we'll ever go back, so I want to make the right choice, but I also don't want to be sweating buckets all day and night.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I was going to both in my honeymoon but decided only PH. Why?

Taking too many planes and mooving too much from hotel to hotel. There is no service from PH to Conrad. They have to bring you back to the main island and then send you to the other hotel. You pretty much loose a day on that plus $1000 (which we used for upgrades on PH)

The PH is more secluded and unique specially for a couple. Conrad looks a little bit more like a family resort, it is much bigger than PH.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by apsprincess
"The Water Villas are incredibly hot. I never got the temperature below 25 degrees, and for all five of the days we spent in Villa 43, the A/C unit broke down for 1-2 hours, bringing the room to a scorching 31 degrees. The panels to cover the windows were extremely difficult to open, and two of the panels were in fact inoperable. Either way, this is irrelevant, because in order to keep the room temperature tolerable, all the panels need to be closed basically all day.The Pool Villa was a completely different experience. For one, the A/C was fantastic. Most importantly, however, the room was bright, airy, and felt much more new than the water villa."

Hi there- thanks so much for your review! I have read different trip reports and the temperature issue is starting to really worry me. As looking at current reports, it is already 31C, and by the time we get there beginning of February it will be warmer I think. Do you think it's not worth it at all to stay at the over the water villa just to see what it's like (we are there 4 nights, 5 days, so could split it 2/2 between pool and over the water villa).

Wondering what people on this thread think, so it seems such a waste to go all the way to the Maldives and not experience one of the over water villas. Although we're booking on points, it's very unlikely we'll ever go back, so I want to make the right choice, but I also don't want to be sweating buckets all day and night.
Ultimately it is a personal decision, but I will say that other than the snorkeling, I was very unhappy with the WV. SO dark and drab with the window shades closed, way too hot for my oersonal taste, and the room itself just FELT old.

If you think you'll always regret not staying there, then do a night or two. But let me put it this way - I would pay the upgrade fee they charge for the water villa to NOT stay there in the future.

Obviously there is a bit of "FOMO" (fear of missing out), but that's up to you. If you can handle warmer temperatures, then it's probably an easier decision.

I know I sound dramatic about the temperature - and my partner WAS comfortable tempature-wise (other than when the AC unit actually broke down) - so this is very much YMMV. That said, this is the first hotel I've been to where the A/C quality was actually a major deterrent to my enjoyment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.