Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Taxis are super easy from Bahamar. Make sure you get a card with the drivers phone number just in case you have trouble getting a taxi back.

1 person costs for dinner (most with one or two drinks, no dessert)
Katsuya $124
Carna $210
Marcus $148

You can def go much bigger or lower at each depending on your appetite (or if you want A5 wagyu).

Drink coupons were one per night . Two drinks per coupon.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dcislander
Taxis are super easy from Bahamar. Make sure you get a card with the drivers phone number just in case you have trouble getting a taxi back.

1 person costs for dinner (most with one or two drinks, no dessert)
Katsuya $124
Carna $210
Marcus $148

You can def go much bigger or lower at each depending on your appetite (or if you want A5 wagyu).

Drink coupons were one per night . Two drinks per coupon.
Thanks for the info! This is really helpful.

The restaurants are actually not as bad as I thought, unless those are per person prices.

I'm definitely doing both tasting menus at Katsuya so that alone will probably bring our total up, but we aren't big over-spenders at restaurants in general, and usually one cocktail is all we need.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:41 pm

Unfortunately those are the dinner cost for one person. Remember that bills include a 15% gratuity when adding additional tip. Also, breakfast goes very late at 3Tides and can easily be turned into an early lunch for a 2 meal day,
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:28 pm

Unfortunately those are the dinner cost for one person. Remember that bills include a 15% gratuity when adding additional tip. Also, breakfast goes very late at 3Tides and can easily be turned into an early lunch for a 2 meal day,
Wooee! Good to know. I wish we could do late breakfasts but...we have a 2 year old.

That's ok. I have money, I'm staying in a suite for free on points with an upgrade cert...I'll just spend $1500-$2000 on food and beverage over the course of 4 nights. At least I'll get 3x points with the new promotion!
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:38 pm

Check out the new American Airlines-Hyatt status challenge that was announced also (if you're flying AA).

Also, this is definitely a "put your towels out early" kind of resort. You def have the upper hand with a 2 year old!

Finally, I ordered a la carte breakfast every AM and it was all taken off. They offer a buffet as well that looked very good (not very extensive) but you can choose whatever you want.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:43 pm

Check out the new American Airlines-Hyatt status challenge that was announced also (if you're flying AA).

Also, this is definitely a "put your towels out early" kind of resort. You def have the upper hand with a 2 year old!

Finally, I ordered a la carte breakfast every AM and it was all taken off. They offer a buffet as well that looked very good (not very extensive) but you can choose whatever you want.
Saw that! I'm definitely going to be going for Platinum and think i may have enough booked already for Platinum Pro...we'll see.

Interesting to hear there's a buffet. In that case, I can definitely stuff myself to hold me over until our dinner reservations.

Thank you so much for all your help!!
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta Diamond
Unlimited soda and water with purchase of $20 cup?

Over on the Facebook page for Baha Mar someone posted a note and picture of a cup they said they purchased for $20 that allowed them unlimited soda and water.

First I’m seeing this in any discussion. Seems like the bargain of the century at Baha Mar if accurate.

Anyone else with experience? Where do you buy this magic cup? Wonder if Globalists could get them comped with lounge closed???
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
My close relative will be staying there this late Aug/early Sep on award stay. He is just a regular member. It will be wife, 10 year old kid, and him. Any tips to save money on food/drinks?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by opus2002
My close relative will be staying there this late Aug/early Sep on award stay. He is just a regular member. It will be wife, 10 year old kid, and him. Any tips to save money on food/drinks?
Do a Globalist Guest of Honor booking so at least breakfast is comped. There are probably other tips from those that have stayed there.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by nas6034
Do a Globalist Guest of Honor booking so at least breakfast is comped. There are probably other tips from those that have stayed there.
Unfortunately, I lost my Globalist (actually diamond) a couple of years ago. Now, I am just Explorist with a bunch of Club access upgrade, but they are not transferrable. I am mistaken - he is a discoverist.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta Diamond
Answers to some questions

Good evening fellow Baha Mar enthusiasts!

I reached out to Gerald Ursulet (Resort Manager) with several questions to clarify some confusion on several items I’ve seen in recent posts. I figured I’d share with everyone so it is clear. Please note that Mr. Ursulet made it clear that the answers are as of today July 17.

“Please note that the information is as of today, 17 July 2021 and is subject to change without advanced notice.

1- The price of the 16 ounces - soft drink cup is $10++ and allows guests to receive unlimited soda and still water. For Grand Hyatt, the participating restaurants and bars are Drift, Out Island, EL Jefe, H2O Bar, Jazz Bar, Stix and 3 Tides. Waterpark and participating outlets in SLS pools. Rosewood is excluded.
Unfortunately, there are no concessions for Globalists.

2- Microwave rental is $50 per stay. Fridge is $50 per stay and there are no concessions for Globalists.

3- Globalists receive complimentary breakfast in our a la carte restaurant – 3 Tides. Typical breakfast beverages are included (juice, coffee, tea) and as of today, there is no limit to what our guests can order. Alcohol not included.

4- 2 Drink (House wine and Well drinks) per voucher per night per room. (can be redeemed at 3 tides, T2 bar, Jazz bar, Stix Noodle Bar, and our outside pool bars managed by Hyatt - Not valid for Marcus Fish and Chop House nor Shuang Ba ).”

Hope everyone finds this helpful and that you have a great time. We can’t wait until our Late September trip!
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:47 am

Hi friends,

I'm here right now. Just got in last night but wanted to post initial reactions.

Good:
- As a globalist using a suite upgrade to Grand King Suite, was pro-actively upgraded to One Bedroom Resident Deluxe West Tower. It's a massive room with a full kitchen, two full bathrooms, fully-closing doors separating bedroom and living room (huge for traveling with a 2 year old), and ultimately very comfortable and convenient with 2 TVs, plugs everywhere, good lighting, etc.
- Because I was pro-actively upgraded, I knew I'd have a full refrigerator. Was thus able to take full advantage of the extremely reasonable duty free at the airport (picked up 12 beers including 2 tall boy "strong" local beers and a small bottle of local rum for $25).
- While arguably not as good as having access to a club lounge, the drink vouchers are good for any cocktail at the applicable bars. My wife and I had 2 fantastic cocktails last night at the Jazz Bar that were not only delicious, but had we paid cash would have been close to $50.
- Having pre-arranged transport directly with the hotel, actually getting to the hotel was smooth and easy. Yes, I know this is never the most cost-efficient option ($155 round trip for a 15 minute drive from airport to hotel), but when you're on vacation, why not treat yourself a little? I've been stranded at Cancun Airport relying on 3rd party transportation, and I'm just too old for that kind of junk and can afford splurging a little anyways.

Bad:
- Check-in was a madhouse. Huge line and people standing around waiting for their turn to complain. The World of Hyatt line had no one there to check in Globalists. I happened to find a staff member coming out of the office, went up to him and told him I'm a Globalist, and he basically walked with me to the front of the line allowing me to budge everyone. Kinda weird.
- Absolutely nothing in terms of welcome amenity. I'd seen people receiving chocolate-dipped strawberries in their room, but nothing whatsoever here.
- No real usable balcony space which seems like an odd design choice given how large this room is. You can basically step outside, but no room for chairs, and even standing out there with a coffee or phone would have me nervous I could drop them.
- In a room that has two full bathrooms, I don't understand why there isn't a bath tub. Who needs TWO showers? My wife is Japanese (huge bath culture), and we have a 2 year old, so baths are big for us. I've sent a message to the Assistant Director of Rooms asking if there's any way we can get a room with a tub, but still awaiting his apply.

Since we got in late, we grabbed a quick dinner at Stix Noodle Bar and it was just fine. Did the trick.

I'll try and report back here as my thoughts roll in.
levilevi and comeflywme like this.

Last edited by Daftryan; Aug 2, 2021 at 5:53 am
Old Aug 4, 2021, 5:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Daftryan
Hi friends,

I'm here right now. Just got in last night but wanted to post initial reactions.

Good:
- As a globalist using a suite upgrade to Grand King Suite, was pro-actively upgraded to One Bedroom Resident Deluxe West Tower. It's a massive room with a full kitchen, two full bathrooms, fully-closing doors separating bedroom and living room (huge for traveling with a 2 year old), and ultimately very comfortable and convenient with 2 TVs, plugs everywhere, good lighting, etc.
- Because I was pro-actively upgraded, I knew I'd have a full refrigerator. Was thus able to take full advantage of the extremely reasonable duty free at the airport (picked up 12 beers including 2 tall boy "strong" local beers and a small bottle of local rum for $25).
- While arguably not as good as having access to a club lounge, the drink vouchers are good for any cocktail at the applicable bars. My wife and I had 2 fantastic cocktails last night at the Jazz Bar that were not only delicious, but had we paid cash would have been close to $50.
- Having pre-arranged transport directly with the hotel, actually getting to the hotel was smooth and easy. Yes, I know this is never the most cost-efficient option ($155 round trip for a 15 minute drive from airport to hotel), but when you're on vacation, why not treat yourself a little? I've been stranded at Cancun Airport relying on 3rd party transportation, and I'm just too old for that kind of junk and can afford splurging a little anyways.

Bad:
- Check-in was a madhouse. Huge line and people standing around waiting for their turn to complain. The World of Hyatt line had no one there to check in Globalists. I happened to find a staff member coming out of the office, went up to him and told him I'm a Globalist, and he basically walked with me to the front of the line allowing me to budge everyone. Kinda weird.
- Absolutely nothing in terms of welcome amenity. I'd seen people receiving chocolate-dipped strawberries in their room, but nothing whatsoever here.
- No real usable balcony space which seems like an odd design choice given how large this room is. You can basically step outside, but no room for chairs, and even standing out there with a coffee or phone would have me nervous I could drop them.
- In a room that has two full bathrooms, I don't understand why there isn't a bath tub. Who needs TWO showers? My wife is Japanese (huge bath culture), and we have a 2 year old, so baths are big for us. I've sent a message to the Assistant Director of Rooms asking if there's any way we can get a room with a tub, but still awaiting his apply.

Since we got in late, we grabbed a quick dinner at Stix Noodle Bar and it was just fine. Did the trick.

I'll try and report back here as my thoughts roll in.
Great review! I’m doing a 6-night stay in the fall. As a fellow Globalist, I have also confirmed a Grand Suite King via Suite Upgrade Award. Can you please tell me at what point (how many days before your check-in date) were you proactively upgraded to the One Bedroom Resident Deluxe West Tower? I’m actually looking to get the same room. Did you have a true ocean front view or partial? Also, do you mind sharing which restaurants you feel were worth your time/money? Lastly, curious what your wife thought of Katsuya. TIA!
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by comeflywme
Great review! I’m doing a 6-night stay in the fall. As a fellow Globalist, I have also confirmed a Grand Suite King via Suite Upgrade Award. Can you please tell me at what point (how many days before your check-in date) were you proactively upgraded to the One Bedroom Resident Deluxe West Tower? I’m actually looking to get the same room. Did you have a true ocean front view or partial? Also, do you mind sharing which restaurants you feel were worth your time/money? Lastly, curious what your wife thought of Katsuya. TIA!
They notified me the day of check-in, but well before I'd arrived even at the airport to fly out.

It's the truest of true ocean front views you could ask for. Smack dab looking out over everything with nothing in the way. It's gorgeous.

We ate at Stix for our first lunch and then Marcus, Katsuya, and Swimming Pig. Breakfast was so big that we were full until our 6pm dinner. On that note, you're better off as a globalist doing a la carte than the lackluster buffet since the price doesn't matter anyways.

Marcus was FANTASTIC. Amazing desserts, too.
Katsuya we both did the seasonal fish sushi omakase for a whopping $170 ($135 on the menu, but everything is +12% +15% VAT and Service Charge). It was delicious, but I was a little disappointed. We got 8 pieces of chopped up negitoro role and then 10 nigiri sushi. For that price, I expected more. At least a bowl of miso soup?
Swimming Pig was surprisingly delicious. The conch fritter appetizers were AMAZING and a full dinner for the 3 of us was only $100.

We were going to eat at Carna, but I had some gerd issues this trip and it seemed like a little much.

Also, I drink a TON of water at all meals, so it may be worth knowing that any of the restaurants that are part of SLS do not offer free house water. It's a crock of bulls**t that they cover up with a "due to Covid" excuse (even though Marcus, the newest restaurant in Baha Mar opening in July 2021, provides water for free). A bottle of Evian (which i HATE) comes out to $15 after the ++. Any of the Hyatt restaurants do give complementary house water.

There are lots of helpful insights on the Facebook group "Grand Hyatt Baha Mar info and discussion." Join it and read up. A big one for me was that you have to request housekeeping every day due to covid. You can do this either by calling down, but there's often a long wait on the phone. I recommend just going to concierge and asking them. It's right by the restaurant where breakfast is provided.

All in all, this place was GREAT, especially as a globalist. You get a drink voucher for 2 drinks per night (~$50 in value), and the cocktails at the Jazz Bar are INCREDIBLE. Try the New York Sour.

There are some issues though if you're picky. A big one is that the staff in the poolside bars are just cold and unwelcoming. That said, the staff in all the restaurants we ate at were all kind in that very welcoming, Caribbean sort of way.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Daftryan
They notified me the day of check-in, but well before I'd arrived even at the airport to fly out.

It's the truest of true ocean front views you could ask for. Smack dab looking out over everything with nothing in the way. It's gorgeous.

We ate at Stix for our first lunch and then Marcus, Katsuya, and Swimming Pig. Breakfast was so big that we were full until our 6pm dinner. On that note, you're better off as a globalist doing a la carte than the lackluster buffet since the price doesn't matter anyways.

Marcus was FANTASTIC. Amazing desserts, too.
Katsuya we both did the seasonal fish sushi omakase for a whopping $170 ($135 on the menu, but everything is +12% +15% VAT and Service Charge). It was delicious, but I was a little disappointed. We got 8 pieces of chopped up negitoro role and then 10 nigiri sushi. For that price, I expected more. At least a bowl of miso soup?
Swimming Pig was surprisingly delicious. The conch fritter appetizers were AMAZING and a full dinner for the 3 of us was only $100.

We were going to eat at Carna, but I had some gerd issues this trip and it seemed like a little much.

Also, I drink a TON of water at all meals, so it may be worth knowing that any of the restaurants that are part of SLS do not offer free house water. It's a crock of bulls**t that they cover up with a "due to Covid" excuse (even though Marcus, the newest restaurant in Baha Mar opening in July 2021, provides water for free). A bottle of Evian (which i HATE) comes out to $15 after the ++. Any of the Hyatt restaurants do give complementary house water.

There are lots of helpful insights on the Facebook group "Grand Hyatt Baha Mar info and discussion." Join it and read up. A big one for me was that you have to request housekeeping every day due to covid. You can do this either by calling down, but there's often a long wait on the phone. I recommend just going to concierge and asking them. It's right by the restaurant where breakfast is provided.

All in all, this place was GREAT, especially as a globalist. You get a drink voucher for 2 drinks per night (~$50 in value), and the cocktails at the Jazz Bar are INCREDIBLE. Try the New York Sour.

There are some issues though if you're picky. A big one is that the staff in the poolside bars are just cold and unwelcoming. That said, the staff in all the restaurants we ate at were all kind in that very welcoming, Caribbean sort of way.
Thanks again for your excellent feedback (added a bunch to my notes).

Any recommendations on Globalist breakfast @ 3 Tides? I've been reading there's no limit (how true is that and to what extent?) on what you can order, and someone mentioned you can order smoothies.
I'm curious what time you went to eat breakfast... if you were full until 6pm lol assuming you went late and took FULL advantage!

FYI - New York Sour is actually one of my top 3 favorite drinks! (typically not something I would order in the Bahamas but now you got me thirstyyy)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.