Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Andaz Wall Street never recovered the brand prestige after they closed the restaurant and relocated it off the lobby cooking in the lobby.Downsizing the fitness center further damaged the appeal of the hotel
Andaz has new GM this week as Dena Roady departs for another property hopefully the new GM can save the Shop and bring back the magic at Andaz 5th Ave
She won't be missed!!

Ms. Roady is going to The Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Gainey Ranch and I'll never be going near one of her hotels again. She's probably a good beancounter but a terrible GM. Never directly answered my emails until the Hyatt Americas president dropped her a note on my behalf.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 10, 2018 at 8:33 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
New GM?

Does anyone have contact info for the new GM at Andaz 5th? I have an upcoming stay and would like to get in touch ahead of time.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
The former GM, Cornelia Samara, ran a great ship. Her departure in late 2015 or early 2016 (to a property outside the Hyatt portfolio) was very sad for Andaz 5th, which has been steadily going downhill after 2016. The coffee bar closed, room maintenance has steadily declined, and employees becoming increasingly demoralized and caring less about the customer experience. I regarded this as one of Hyatt's crown jewels when Ms. Samara was at the helm, but the Andaz 5th is now no longer the hotel it used to be.

Last edited by Buster CT1K; Jun 11, 2018 at 11:24 am
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
The former GM, Cornelia Samara, ran a great ship. Her departure in late 2015 or early 2016 (to a property outside the Hyatt portfolio) was very sad for Andaz 5th, which has been steadily going downhill after 2016. The coffee bar closed, room maintenance has steadily declined, and employees becoming increasingly demoralized and caring less about the customer experience. I regarded this as one of Hyatt's crown jewels when Ms. Samara was at the helm, but the Andaz 5th is now no longer the hotel it used to be.
It definitely sunk when she was on her way out and let Tommasi handle the ship. That guy has to be the worst director of operations I have ever seen - tone deaf or just doesn't care about stay problems and service recovery.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I had an email from Tommasi, sent to me on 12-Jun stating: "Our shop will be moving at the end of June and we will be utilizing the current space for an art installation. We have been working very hard to redesign the space and I believe it will be a great experience. I am very appreciative of the feedback as it is a gift that can only help us improve our operation."

In classic customer-relations speak Tommasi completely ignored my comments on the demise of The Shop and its inferior substitute.

Doc Copper
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
I had an email from Tommasi, sent to me on 12-Jun stating: "Our shop will be moving at the end of June and we will be utilizing the current space for an art installation. We have been working very hard to redesign the space and I believe it will be a great experience. I am very appreciative of the feedback as it is a gift that can only help us improve our operation."

In classic customer-relations speak Tommasi completely ignored my comments on the demise of The Shop and its inferior substitute.

Doc Copper
He couldn't care less. He's the perfect lieutenant for a once great, now sinking ship.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Well, the Andaz has lost my business over the closing of The Shop. Not sure where I'll end up on my next NYC trip - but there's plenty of choice.

Doc Copper
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Well, the Andaz has lost my business over the closing of The Shop. Not sure where I'll end up on my next NYC trip - but there's plenty of choice.

Doc Copper
I'm feeling the same way.

I still like much about the hotel, but I'll try some others and see how they compare at this point. So I may be back in time.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by JB5150
Does anyone have contact info for the new GM at Andaz 5th? I have an upcoming stay and would like to get in touch ahead of time.
I believe the new GM is Scott Mason if I understand correctly he came from Andaz Scottsdale.Here is to hoping he is a good fit
Hate to be negative but taking away the power breakfast spot(The Shop) with all the nice daylight overlooking 5th Ave has to be a terribly misguided choice
Sticking the restaurant what's left of it in a dark dimly lit dungeon underground below the lobby floor is a tragic mistake for so many reasons.I would truly be surprised if their numbers don't fall way off
The Shop was truly the highlight of the hotel.I am half as likely to stay there now
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think they should do away with the breakfast nickeling since they're moving it to a dungeon but I doubt it'll happen. I'm very unlikely to stay there again because of the Shop and 2 previous bad stays.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I agree that my last stay there was the worst I've had, I've never had a problem with breakfast, even when I've ordered a pretty decent amount. Do you mean the card they give you, or did they charge you for excess?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
While I agree that my last stay there was the worst I've had, I've never had a problem with breakfast, even when I've ordered a pretty decent amount. Do you mean the card they give you, or did they charge you for excess?
Being charged for extra sausage and a drink. They'll never stop the nickeling and it can only get worse from here on.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Anyone know if The Shop has actually closed? Have an upcoming stay, that I might move to the PH after seeing this. What a terrible decision by management and sad day for the Andaz.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by mh4ll
Anyone know if The Shop has actually closed? Have an upcoming stay, that I might move to the PH after seeing this. What a terrible decision by management and sad day for the Andaz.
I believe The Shop is now TBD Downstairs: https://newyork5thavenue.andaz.hyatt...ownstairs.html
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I had lunch yesterday- it was not an unpleasant setting but walking downstairs felt like walking into a tomb. Little changes are quickly noticed- Tea leaves replaced by tea bags. But I was told there is no longer a need for reservations at breakfast. There are plenty of seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.