Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Residence Club Sedona Piñon Pointe AZ REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Residence Club Sedona Piñon Pointe AZ REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
We stayed here for 3 nights a week ago as base for visiting Meteor Crater and Petrified Forest National Park and the Sedona area. We were assigned a 2nd floor studio unit since that’s what award points book into. The studio is Small, much smaller than standard room at Hyatt House Tempe/University. We could hear talking and laughing from the 1-bedroom next door that’s part of the lockout unit. The bathroom is poorly designed with toilet paper roll right next one’s hip when seated.

We complained about the lack of soundproofing from next door, especially since we were trying to settle down after checking in around 9PM. Finally Front Desk changed our room to a 1-bedroom unit with view (balcony looks towards the shops and 89A North). The unit was accessible and most surfaces had a layer of dust, probably hasn’t been occupied for a while. We cleaned the floors, and all table and night stand surfaces that we would use. The view was great towards the Red Rocks to the East. We were also able to view the Gemini’s meteor showers from the balcony.

I checked the room rates and there was a rate difference of ~$70/ night between the 1-bedroom and studio. Since Globalists do not get upgraded at Residence Clubs, this is one location that I would definitely pay for the 1-bedroom rather a studio if I were paying cash. I may also reconsider ever using points at this location because the studio is such a big step down from the 1-bedroom unit.

Sedona is very nice early December, low season, no crowds. Bar tender at Oak Creek Brewery told us traffic can be horrible during high season. She said it took her 1-1/2 hr to work from home 30 miles away after Sedona reopened after initial shutdown with campers all along the side of the road.
I’ve gotten upgrades at HRC properties as a Globalist (status was acknowledged at check in) including at this property. Just ask nicely and recognize it’s a courtesy and not an entitlement. Have also gotten late checkout.
Old May 29, 2021, 12:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Checked in today for 3 nights using points + FN. Globalist status was not acknowledged during check in and no upgrades as I was told the hotel is completely sold out. Assigned 1st floor studio at the most west end of the resort with only window facing parking lot. Room is old and definitely shows it’s age and both bedside lamp not working. So far sub par experience.
Old May 31, 2021, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We stayed here in January 2010 on Hyatt vacation club points and loved it. Nice 1 or 2 br unit that felt like it was on a hill and with gorgeous views from our unit when outside. Great big pool. Nice retail at piñon point. Also my first time in Arizona so I was very impressed with all that I saw. In 2010, it was just called Sedona with zero mention of pinon point.

That all said, Hyatt residence club is now with interval and is not really owned by Hyatt. So the WOH connection is more like points conversion with any other partnership (eg UAL / star alliance) and Hyatt status probably means little when HRC is not in same ownership as WOH/Hyatt. We own HRC with carmel and our points stretched far at Sedona.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:36 am

Does anyone know if the outdoor pool is heated?
Is it operational during the winter months?
I'm wondering whether I'll be able to use it in January.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pool is definitely heated (and there are Jacuzzis too) but not sure if it is operational year round. Even if open it can be a long walk back to room in freezing cold if wet..
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Pool is definitely heated (and there are Jacuzzis too) but not sure if it is operational year round. Even if open it can be a long walk back to room in freezing cold if wet..
Thanks, good to know it's heated!
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by agjil
Thanks, good to know it's heated!
Especially at this time of the year!

David
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I checked in yesterday for a two-night stay - my first at a Hyatt Residence Club. Paid rates were $450/nt. so we used 15,000 points to book the Studio room. The hotel does have a 14-day cancelation requirement which I wasn't crazy about but didn't end up being an issue.

We arrived around 3PM to check-in and were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite, which I think is very nice. It's probably around 600 square feet, very livable, it reminded me of a slightly smaller version of the first apartment I had out of college. There is a large terrace, but we don't have a view of anything in particular - we're mostly looking at the pool complex, which also has the gym and two grills. We were also given two coupons for free wine which we haven't used yet. One note is the lobby is only staffed 7AM-11PM - I'm not sure what the protocol is if you arrive late.

The hotel's location is great, it's walkable to so many of the shops and restaurants in Sedona. We enjoyed Sedona Beer Company last night. The room was absolutely quiet and although the studio that's paired with our room is occupied, we heard no noise at all except right at the front door. Three packets of laundry detergent were in the room for the washing machine. There is no daily housekeeping.

The night sky is stunning; living right outside DC I'm used to seeing just a handful of stars in the sky at night - I don't think I've ever seen so many stars in my life as I saw last night from our terrace. Since Sedona has a "dark sky" policy the room has a flashlight you can take with you if you go out walking at night.

I drove up from Tempe Mission Palms and stopped at Montezuma Castle along the way, which I thought was really worthwhile and recommend it. We also stopped at Chapel of the Holy Cross which I also thought was really worthwhile, it's just a stunning setting. What surprised me is the traffic from Chapel of the Holy Cross to the Hyatt was basically at a standstill on a Sunday afternoon, it's only around 3 miles on 179 but probably took 30-40 minutes or more... I am not sure if this is routine but I didn't spot any particular cause.

Originally Posted by agjil
Does anyone know if the outdoor pool is heated? Is it operational during the winter months?
The main outdoor pool is not currently heated. It is open, but you'd have to be very hearty to swim in it and no one was using it yesterday. I'm not sure if it's a maintenance issue or another reason. There are two hot tubs that are heated, and there's a very small (18" depth) kiddie pool that is also heated. My son is way too large for the kiddie pool but regardless had a great time in it.

Living Room (w/gas fireplace) and dining area; kitchen is to the left.

Bedroom; the door at right opens directly to the balcony.

Last edited by River in Sight; Feb 21, 2022 at 10:18 am
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by River in Sight
IWhat surprised me is the traffic from Chapel of the Holy Cross to the Hyatt was basically at a standstill on a Sunday afternoon, it's only around 3 miles on 179 but probably took 30-40 minutes or more... I am not sure if this is routine but I didn't spot any particular cause.
Normal weekend traffic.
bbbb and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Is this one of those properties with minimal stays when booking with points?
Old Mar 5, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Is this one of those properties with minimal stays when booking with points?
I reserved three nights on points then tried to get a fourth night separately with a FN award bc I could not make the full rez with points and the FN award together (although all four nights had availability). This was a Wed-Sun stay. I then tried it in reverse order as 1+3 and was able to book it. I think they do have minimums but only for maybe weekends or holidays. I have a parallel rez for all four nights with points (we needed two rooms bc kids with us). Today I was poking around to see if I could add a night or even change my stay dates and…

Now NOTHING available May and June!

I cannot find a single cash or award option from May 5-Jun 30. I’ve tried various combinations of 1-3-7 nights. NOTHING. It definitely feels like the property is just closed for like 7 weeks. But I have an existing rez at the end of June (no longer available either), so now I’m a little worried at what’s going on.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I reserved three nights on points then tried to get a fourth night separately with a FN award bc I could not make the full rez with points and the FN award together (although all four nights had availability). This was a Wed-Sun stay. I then tried it in reverse order as 1+3 and was able to book it. I think they do have minimums but only for maybe weekends or holidays. I have a parallel rez for all four nights with points (we needed two rooms bc kids with us). Today I was poking around to see if I could add a night or even change my stay dates and…

Now NOTHING available May and June!

I cannot find a single cash or award option from May 5-Jun 30. I’ve tried various combinations of 1-3-7 nights. NOTHING. It definitely feels like the property is just closed for like 7 weeks. But I have an existing rez at the end of June (no longer available either), so now I’m a little worried at what’s going on.
If you are worried, may I suggest the slightly radical idea of, you know, giving them a phone call?

Being serious though, I had the same experience as you did but I'll be staying there from 3/19 to 3/22. Happy to (briefly) report back on my experience if I come back alive.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moyafmx
If you are worried, may I suggest the slightly radical idea of, you know, giving them a phone call?

Being serious though, I had the same experience as you did but I'll be staying there from 3/19 to 3/22. Happy to (briefly) report back on my experience if I come back alive.
I did call. And they said they saw my rez but also said “oh bc we are a HRC property things get crazy with our bookings”. But they did not explain how overnight a property could go from having every night available with every room type to every night booked for every room type. For 7 weeks straight. I specifically asked if they block off time for timeshare bookings. Vague no answer.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I did call. And they said they saw my rez but also said “oh bc we are a HRC property things get crazy with our bookings”. But they did not explain how overnight a property could go from having every night available with every room type to every night booked for every room type. For 7 weeks straight. I specifically asked if they block off time for timeshare bookings. Vague no answer.
Innnnnnnteresting!! I like the added uncertainty for my adventure next week. So I will not call in advance, show up, and see what happens. Worst case scenario I drive back to Phoenix. I promise to post how it goes!
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by moyafmx
Innnnnnnteresting!! I like the added uncertainty for my adventure next week. So I will not call in advance, show up, and see what happens. Worst case scenario I drive back to Phoenix. I promise to post how it goes!
I see plenty of nights with availability in the weeks surrounding your visit. Why do you feel uncertain? And why wouldn’t you call if you did?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.