Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Residence Club Sedona Piñon Pointe AZ REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Residence Club Sedona Piñon Pointe AZ REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I had a great stay here just pre-pandemic -- we got upgraded from a 'studio' to a 1 bedroom apartment with a full kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom, fireplace, soaker tub, two balconies etc. The space was large, in good shape, and very comfortable.

Last week we returned, and we didn't get upgraded from the studio. And wow, the studio was so bad. The kitchenette was a joke -- tiny sink, half-fridge and microwave right at the entry door. The bed was soft and bouncy, the room was super tight especially with the pull-out having to be used; smaller than a typical Hyatt Place room. There is no washer/dryer in the studios, no real table (just a side table that could be moved around), and a tight 2/3 of a full couch with a foldout bed. The balcony was directly facing the parking lot (which I really don't like, given how many cars have cameras nowadays auto-taking videos of any movement around them). It was also kind of gross -- our socks absorbed a good deal of dirt from the carpets, someone's old nasty sock was found under the couch, the bathroom shower/tub was rigged so that it couldn't be used as a tub, the kitchen counter was stained, the air conditioning unit dripped a lot (and it wasn't even humid outside or anything like that). We could easily hear noise from neighboring units and upstairs. I wasn't expecting an upgrade or anything, but wow, I wasn't expecting the studios to be so small, cramped, and sad either. (and we didn't get any 'wine coupons' like the above review mentioned, just some 10% off coupons at a couple nearby restaurants.)

The pool (etc) also closes at 9, which even for an early-to-bed person like me seemed a bit early. The billiards table wasn't in very good shape (balanced with some slots of wood underneath), and the 'free coffee' in the activities room was just blonde roast (gross). And our room wasn't ready at check-in time but was shortly thereafter. The pitch to sit through a sales-push was 12K points or a $150 giftcard (neither were good enough for me). The only good thing to say about the stay was that they were quick to bring towels, take our trash, and get us extra bedding when we called for it. We were glad to get back to HR Tamaya for the rest of our road trip where at least the room was clean, the bed firm, and there was a solid glob breakfast to be had.

I don't think I will be returning to this location unless I find the 1-bedroom at an acceptable cash rate. The studio was probably the saddest space I have slept in since that time in 2017 when the HP-Overland Park 'walked me' to a holiday inn.

Last edited by MarkOK; Jun 13, 2023 at 2:11 pm Reason: just a little more detail/clarification.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by road2elysium
Did your stay result in elite night credited?
Nope, but the 10,000 points for listening to the presentation posted quite promptly.
road2elysium likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
And now you know....do not rent studios....lock off rooms....at a timeshare. Or, a Residence Inn type place. Having stayed at this Sedona property, once was enough.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman
And now you know....do not rent studios....lock off rooms....at a timeshare. Or, a Residence Inn type place. Having stayed at this Sedona property, once was enough.
Not sure why you’re knocking on Residence Inn. The overwhelming majority of my Residence Inn stays had better hard product than this studio. The outdoor hot tubs with the views was perhaps the one (well, two) saving grace.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
It amazes me how much of a difference there was between the studio and the 1 bedroom I got a few years ago. I stayed 3 nights, and I checked what was still available the first night and both a 1 bedroom and a studio was available and the price difference was only $30 on cash rates. I was there on points. ((The 1 bedroom wasn't available the other two nights, otherwise, I would have inquired about a upgrade.))

$300 a night for the 1 bedroom is worth considering, but I wouldn't stay in that studio again for the points I paid or anywhere near the $270 cash rates they were asking.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by martzipan
Not sure why you’re knocking on Residence Inn. The overwhelming majority of my Residence Inn stays had better hard product than this studio. The outdoor hot tubs with the views was perhaps the one (well, two) saving grace.
How did you interpret anything written as a knock on Residence Inn? Please make another attempt reading my comment and explain. Floor plans and inclusions, suite versus studio. That was my point.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:50 pm

How did you interpret anything written as a knock on Residence Inn? Please make another attempt reading my comment and explain. Floor plans and inclusions, suite versus studio. That was my point.
lol, you’re right, reading comprehension fail on my part… too many ellipsis… not enough coffee 😉
Old Jun 15, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkOK
It amazes me how much of a difference there was between the studio and the 1 bedroom I got a few years ago. I stayed 3 nights, and I checked what was still available the first night and both a 1 bedroom and a studio was available and the price difference was only $30 on cash rates. I was there on points. ((The 1 bedroom wasn't available the other two nights, otherwise, I would have inquired about a upgrade.))

$300 a night for the 1 bedroom is worth considering, but I wouldn't stay in that studio again for the points I paid or anywhere near the $270 cash rates they were asking.
The 1-bedroom unit is significantly better than the the lockout studio unit. I would not stay here again on points since you will be assigned a studio unit and there's no upgrade or any Globalist benefits at Hyatt Residence Club.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any significant variation in the one bedroom units? While I don’t expect any upgrades. It’s my anniversary and it doesn’t hurt to ask for a certain room or feature within the category.

So any tips on what to ask for would be helpful.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We stayed here in mid-July using timeshare points. We had booked a studio and were originally assigned to one, but at checkin I asked if we could upgrade to a 1BR. They were able to do so but only to a first floor unit, so we ended up in building 3(?) with a view of our patio which faced the parking lot and strip mall. No problemo, I will gladly trade the view for the extra space, lack of noise and easy access to our car.

The resort is almost walking distance from the main commercial strip in Sedona (though not in 100 degree heat) and a short drive to the parks, hiking and other sites. The pool area was great except for the heavy drinkers and the yapping braggerts who seemed intent on impressing others with their jobs, investments, etc. But never had to fight for a chair in the shade. There is no drink service so be prepared to BYOB. There is free coffee in the adjacent clubhouse. Restaurant prices are high but there are some low cost casual options that are perfectly serviceable.

Overall was not impressed with the units, they are standard HRC timeshare but in need of a renovation. That said I would gladly stay here again as the value and location were excellent. Free definitely beats paying $500-1k per night for a resort hotel room. It's about a 2-hour drive from PHX but beware road construction on the freeway which may add to your travel time.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Free definitely beats paying $500-1k per night for a resort hotel room.
We airbnb in Sedona. For around $500/night, you can get a 2/3 BR house in a great location with stunning view. Our last rental was newly renovated with a beautiful pool.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan
Any significant variation in the one bedroom units? While I don’t expect any upgrades. It’s my anniversary and it doesn’t hurt to ask for a certain room or feature within the category..
I expect all 1-bedroom units are exactly the same except for left/right orientation of the rooms. I would request a unit on the 3rd floor with a view or the red rocks from the balcony.
beachfan likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 6:36 am

Any fairly recent DPs on late checkout being offered to Globalists? Staying for the 2nd time but wasn't needed last time 2 years back. However, we have a redeye flight this trip. If they won't honor it, I hope they will at least allow us to store our luggage and use facilities such as pool area until we need to head back. I would call but not sure that would even help. Thanks for any advise.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by surikatina
Any fairly recent DPs on late checkout being offered to Globalists? Staying for the 2nd time but wasn't needed last time 2 years back. However, we have a redeye flight this trip. If they won't honor it, I hope they will at least allow us to store our luggage and use facilities such as pool area until we need to head back. I would call but not sure that would even help. Thanks for any advise.
Your chances of getting anything in this property seems to be entirely a coin flip. I showed up around two weeks ago on a Sunday check-in with wide open availability and received the standard Studio (I was alone, so I didn't bother asking for a 1BR) but I did ask for a later checkout until around 12 PM. The front desk gave me an extra hour until 11 AM, heh.
surikatina likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We requested and received a 12 noon checkout. There are decent changing facilities at the pool. Of course we are owners. Hyatt elite status is not relevant here.
gaobest and surikatina like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.