Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Tempe Mission Palms REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium

Stayed here for three nights earlier this month - I was in town to visit family in Tempe. On prior trips I had booked the HR Phoenix but decided to give this a try as it was closer to the family we were visiting.
  • I loved the area compared to the HR Phoenix. Downtown Phoenix is dead, Tempe had a ton going on and this hotel is ideally situated.
  • We took the light rail here from the airport; the station is across the street but as it turns out they also offer a shuttle. The ride back to the airport we took the shuttle, it was around ten minutes. The shuttle leaves the hotel every thirty minutes.
  • We were upgraded to a south-facing “deluxe” king room. The hotel was sold out and I didn’t expect an upgrade. I’m not sure what was deluxe about the room but it was clean and in good working order. There was noise from the bar across the street, especially on Saturday. The hotel is clearly older (probably 80s vintage) but everything was clean and tidy. In the future I would avoid a south-facing room to avoid the noise from the bar across the street.
  • All of the staff were really very friendly. We had the same breakfast crew every day and they were really kind.
  • speaking of breakfast, I mentioned the hotel feels like it’s from the 80s and so does the buffet - fairly basic and had things like canned peaches and canned pears that I haven’t seen in a long time. That said, the breakfast prices were really reasonable and the buffet (15.95) includes eggs/omelettes cooked to order. I skipped the canned fruit and everything else was pretty typical. As a Globalist, we were told to order whatever we wanted and it would be removed.
  • Nice pool area with a small bar
  • Did not use the gym or late checkout so can’t comment on either
  • Again the location was ideal for us with so much in walking distance. Additionally Tempe has a free bus system based out of the transit center down the street with several routes, one took us right to the family we were visiting so we just did that each day.

the shuttle driver told us most of the business is conventions but I would definitely stay here again if I needed to be in the area and would certainly choose it over the HR downtown.. there’s just so much to walk to and very convenient to the airport.

Last edited by River in Sight; Feb 21, 2020 at 8:57 pm
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by River in Sight
  • We took the light rail here from the airport; the station is across the street but as it turns out they also offer a shuttle. The ride back to the airport we took the shuttle, it was around ten minutes. The shuttle leaves the hotel every thirty minutes.
This is worth highlighting. I had the same situation... made an assumption that the hotel couldn't possibly have a shuttle, so I took the light rail. Then found out about the shuttle so took it the next morning back to the airport.

FWIW I was upgraded to a suite as a Globalist, even though the hotel had only recently joined WoH.

This hotel is a great option for PHX stopovers...
River in Sight likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've stayed here in the past and liked it. I'd describe the location as on the edge of the (somewhat student-oriented) downtown Tempe business district (although it's not so close to the main part of the ASU campus). The grounds and setting are rather pretty, but it should not be confused with the numerous nearby resort hotels such as the Andaz Scottsdale or HR Gainey Ranch. OTOH it's a great alternative to the obvious airport hotels.

I'm glad to know that this place has joined WOH, but what brand are they using?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:45 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm glad to know that this place has joined WOH, but what brand are they using?
Destination Hotels
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Had a recent stay here and made another one of my videos. Was upgraded to an executive suite with board room style set up for my one-night stay. Full breakfast comped in restaurant, free parking and waived resort fee as globalist. Great location for Tempe- right near ASU and Mill Ave. Good for business or fun. Can answer any questions you may have!

bbbb, River in Sight and dpb132 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:29 pm

Any more recent visits to this property? Any decent places to eat within walking distance?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Aug 2021 - meh

I had been meaning to try this place (and pick up my Destination free night badge) and finally had the chance for a 1-night, midweek stay in August 2021.

Good:

- Very clean room and hotel grounds.
- Friendly service all around, particularly at Harry's for drinks/dessert.
- Speaking of, decent drink menu available at Harry's.

Bad:

- Really just a glorified Hilton Garden Inn property and room. Clean but meh and somewhat tired.
- Whiny A/C blower with periodic banging noises in the on position. The alternative was auto on/off cycling every five minutes. Neither lent itself to a good night's sleep.
- Curtains weren't blackout and didn't fully cover the windows. Light in the room starting at sunrise. Also not conducive to restful sleep.
- No towel bar within reach of the shower (actually a tub/shower combo, also in the "Bad" category). Toilet paper holder was also placed at a physiologically impossible angle to access.
- Even from the "top" (4th) floor, street noise facing Mill Ave was audible at all hours.

Weird/annoying/interesting:

- Self parking is confusing for the uninitiated. You park in one of the two paid lots adjoining the hotel and they give you an overnight pass for your dashboard. Wasn't clear at all prior to arrival what to do.
- Booked entry king, received "deluxe king". Pushed a little bit at check in about a suite upgrade (multiple were available for sale). Desk agent said "I did upgrade you, to a deluxe king". Didn't push it further. Deluxe king is 50 sf larger than rack king.
- Jumbo toiletry bottles mounted to shower wall.
- Disposable plastic gloves required to use the self-serve breakfast buffet. Come on already.
- Passive aggressive mask signage ("strongly requested of all guests" etc.) all over the property.
- The hotel is right under the landing/takeoff path of Sky Harbor, so there are great plane views from the courtyard if one is into that. It is also noisy when they fly overhead; I can't imagine trying to have a wedding reception or other event outdoors.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:48 pm

I'm considering this property for a one-night stay in the area, and I'm mainly curious what kind of breakfast is offered to globalists here.
Could anyone who stayed here provide some insight into what kind of food is offered during breakfast hours?
Is it the usual cheap powdered egg, dry bacon, Wonder Bread toast, etc, or is it somewhat better quality?
Also, do they have a la carte options for breakfast dishes?
The cash rate is surprisingly expensive for being a cat 3 hotel, so I'm hoping food quality is decent.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
We stayed there and had breakfast in the courtyard. Ordered off the menu and everything was great. Totally comped as a Globalist. The bar is nice also. It’s easy walking distance from the party zone in Tempe. The brewery there has excellent food.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by buzglyd
We stayed there and had breakfast in the courtyard. Ordered off the menu and everything was great. Totally comped as a Globalist. The bar is nice also. It’s easy walking distance from the party zone in Tempe. The brewery there has excellent food.
Thanks a lot, would you mind letting me know some examples of the menu items that were available?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by agjil
I'm considering this property for a one-night stay in the area, and I'm mainly curious what kind of breakfast is offered to globalists here.
Could anyone who stayed here provide some insight into what kind of food is offered during breakfast hours?
Is it the usual cheap powdered egg, dry bacon, Wonder Bread toast, etc, or is it somewhat better quality?
Also, do they have a la carte options for breakfast dishes?
The cash rate is surprisingly expensive for being a cat 3 hotel, so I'm hoping food quality is decent.
See my review above. At least in August it was buffet only, no menu ordering option at breakfast. The items were average buffet quality.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by dpb132
See my review above. At least in August it was buffet only, no menu ordering option at breakfast. The items were average buffet quality.
Thanks a lot, it was very helpful.
I'm actually wondering now if no menu ordering could have been a temporary COVID change (since someone else mentioned he/she ordered off the menu).
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I'm actually wondering now if no menu ordering could have been a temporary COVID change (since someone else mentioned he/she ordered off the menu).
Ordering from the menu was available in October. Don't remember the specific items though.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Thanks a lot, would you mind letting me know some examples of the menu items that were available?
Stayed there in November. Breakfast buffet plus items from menu. Eggs Benedict was in the menu(USD13+tax). Comped for Globalist.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:16 pm

Dec stay

Stayed over new years on points. Got a really nice Globalist upgrade to a large suite. The parking situation was rough. The hotel has self parking but these are also available for the public to pay. I wasn't told I could get a parking pass the first night so paid for a couple hours. Later the front desk provided a pass for free parking. On busy nights the self parking filled up and I had to (free) valet which I hate. This sent me on a chase the next morning to get cash to tip because I haven't carried cash in 10 years. For what it is worth our room on the 4th floor was actually quiet even though there were large events going on outside both nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.