Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by pazza2000
...Making contact with the hotel will give me a bit more peace of mind.
If that is how you need to travel then perhaps mistake rates are not for you.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
I need to get as good an idea as possible if this will be honoured or not before I book travel etc.
You REALLY dont get how this works. DONT CONTACT THE HOTEL, you will F it up for seasoned mistake rate travelers. People like you is why I don't post deals that I find and book. I only post deals that I cant take.

If you NEED to know. Book the rack rate. The deal you are looking for confirmation on has been booked by a lot of other people. Start a new thread asking if anybody else has information, this is not the thread for it, your question has been lost in what should or should not be done.

To be clear, contacting the hotel reduces the chances of you getting the rate honored. Best practice is to book an alternative hotel at a rate you can cancel without penalty. If your 1st choice doesn't come through and sometimes they don't, you have a back up plan. Booking mistake rates are a GAMBLE. There is a risk involved.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
1) Any legal advice you get here is worth what you pay for it.
2) They seem to have covered their ground with the waiver. Your opinion as to what constitutes a pending reservation is irrelevant.
3) If you knew it was a mistake rate when you booked it, you typically do not have a contractual cause of action.
3rd point is irrelevant as no one is going to know whether you knew this or not unless you tell them. Saying it on here doesn't mean a thing as we are not the ones who will or will not honor the rate

just never ever admit you knew it was a mistake
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
You REALLY dont get how this works. DONT CONTACT THE HOTEL, you will F it up for seasoned mistake rate travelers. People like you is why I don't post deals that I find and book. I only post deals that I cant take.

If you NEED to know. Book the rack rate. The deal you are looking for confirmation on has been booked by a lot of other people. Start a new thread asking if anybody else has information, this is not the thread for it, your question has been lost in what should or should not be done.

To be clear, contacting the hotel reduces the chances of you getting the rate honored. Best practice is to book an alternative hotel at a rate you can cancel without penalty. If your 1st choice doesn't come through and sometimes they don't, you have a back up plan. Booking mistake rates are a GAMBLE. There is a risk involved.
The dilemma was taken out of my hands yesterday. Without any action on my part, booking.com called to advise that the rate was not going to be honoured. A compromised rate was discussed though it does not work for me. Cancelled!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
To be clear, contacting the hotel reduces the chances of you getting the rate honored.
Do you have anything besides anecdotal evidence to back that assertion up?

My anecdotal evidence is that it doesn't make a difference one way or the other. It might make them kill the deal faster, which might suck for others, but it makes zero difference as to whether the hotel will honor the deal, offer a compromise, or just cancel it outright.

Just stating that something is a fact with bold letters doesn't make it so.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:01 am

Nothing is set in stone regarding these mistakes. However I personally feel that in the vast majority of cases the hotel is fully aware that they have made an error due to the fact the error rate has eventually been corrected by somebody or possibly due to the deluge of bookings at the special price. So basically you are going to hear( or not hear) from the hotel one way or the other about your reservation.

I agree that whether they honour in 99% of cases will not rest on whether you have made contact. They will have basically already made up their minds. The golden rule (as I hope we all know!) is never contact the hotel before the deal is dead.

Now what about that 1%?? Well I have turned up on two occasions at hotels in the last year where the hotel was actually not aware that a mistake had been made.Maybe they should have been aware but for reasons beyond me they were not.

The first was in Marrakech where the mistake was only realised at check out and the second at none other than Gleneagles Hotel, home to the Ryder Cup last year, where again the hotel got a shock surprise at check out

The Gleneagles deal was a half board double room deal at just £40 pn representing only a fraction of the original price. When myself and friends checked out we were presented with a bill of sizeable proportions as befits such a fine establishment.

Gleneagles were clearly not aware of the mistake they had made(and presumably corrected) on the LHW website or at least that anybody had booked the rate....or maybe they were just hoping we would pay the full rate?? Strangely the name of the rate plan on our reservations with them had been changed although it was still for the half board option.

Everything was sorted out satisfactorily by the hotel in the end and they honoured the rate of our booking.^

However what if I had decided not to risk just turning up at the door? It can only be subjective but my thoughts, based on my checkout experience in each case, are that both Gleneagles and the hotel in Marrakech( where there was a little drama) , would on balance probably of taken the opportunity to cancel if I had called them.

So my take on this is calling once a deal is dead in the vast majority of cases should make no difference although where possible it is probably better not to call. If you have to call,and I except that in some cases this may be necessary for different people for various reasons then delay making that call for as long as possible. If it's 6 months down the line then that will put the hotel under a little more pressure to do the honourable thing at that time rather than 6 hours or 6 days later when the hotel has a far more morally right case to cancel your booking.

However be warned that due to the reasons outlined above I do feel that in a tiny percentage of cases a deal could fall flat on it's face due to a phone call at any time....but of course I don't have that proof since I never call the hotels if they have not made any contact with me!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:29 am

once it is officially a dead deal then I have no problems if people call the hotel or airline

just dont call while it is still alive for booking
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by chokdee
Nothing is set in stone regarding these mistakes. However I personally feel that in the vast majority of cases the hotel is fully aware that they have made an error due to the fact the error rate has eventually been corrected by somebody or possibly due to the deluge of bookings at the special price. So basically you are going to hear( or not hear) from the hotel one way or the other about your reservation.

I agree that whether they honour in 99% of cases will not rest on whether you have made contact. They will have basically already made up their minds. The golden rule (as I hope we all know!) is never contact the hotel before the deal is dead.

Now what about that 1%?? Well I have turned up on two occasions at hotels in the last year where the hotel was actually not aware that a mistake had been made.Maybe they should have been aware but for reasons beyond me they were not.

The first was in Marrakech where the mistake was only realised at check out and the second at none other than Gleneagles Hotel, home to the Ryder Cup last year, where again the hotel got a shock surprise at check out

The Gleneagles deal was a half board double room deal at just £40 pn representing only a fraction of the original price. When myself and friends checked out we were presented with a bill of sizeable proportions as befits such a fine establishment.

Gleneagles were clearly not aware of the mistake they had made(and presumably corrected) on the LHW website or at least that anybody had booked the rate....or maybe they were just hoping we would pay the full rate?? Strangely the name of the rate plan on our reservations with them had been changed although it was still for the half board option.

Everything was sorted out satisfactorily by the hotel in the end and they honoured the rate of our booking.^

However what if I had decided not to risk just turning up at the door? It can only be subjective but my thoughts, based on my checkout experience in each case, are that both Gleneagles and the hotel in Marrakech( where there was a little drama) , would on balance probably of taken the opportunity to cancel if I had called them.

So my take on this is calling once a deal is dead in the vast majority of cases should make no difference although where possible it is probably better not to call. If you have to call,and I except that in some cases this may be necessary for different people for various reasons then delay making that call for as long as possible. If it's 6 months down the line then that will put the hotel under a little more pressure to do the honourable thing at that time rather than 6 hours or 6 days later when the hotel has a far more morally right case to cancel your booking.

However be warned that due to the reasons outlined above I do feel that in a tiny percentage of cases a deal could fall flat on it's face due to a phone call at any time....but of course I don't have that proof since I never call the hotels if they have not made any contact with me!

I agree with Chokdee here as calling can ruin things also after the rate disappeared. This could also especially be the case for a mistake that was made for one room/night, which means the hotel won't see much extra traffic/bookings.

What is forgotten in this discussion is what outweighs the risk of calling? There is no benefit to calling:
- Call to confirm: if they already were planning to honor it, they will do so regardless. If they weren't, you had a cancellation already (if you did not, and rock up, and they then cancel that makes them liable). If they didn't know and now they do because you called, you messed it up for yourself (and potentially the rest).
- Call to change reservation/ name: see above. If they know it's an error, it is highly unlikely they will allow you to do so. Not because they might not be okay honoring the rate, but because it opens the door to booking mistake rates and then selling them to someone else for a profit.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:23 am

Would trip interruption insurance ever cover you if the hotel refused to honor a mistake rate? I doubt it eh?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:34 am

I booked an error rate at a 5 star resort in Vietnam during high season. 3 nights for 76$ each (suite) instead of the regular 390$...the sales manager sent me an email a week after with an apology and told me if I could cancel the room or pay 150$/night extra, otherwise he had to pay for the difference because he made the mistake when loading the rates...can someone confirm this is indeed a common practice in SEA?
Really would feel bad if this is true....
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:52 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
I hate to see hotels getting away with this. Booking.com had Sheraton DFW for $49 on the Club level. Hotel is offering $119 as a "middle ground". Booking.com is still showing the same rate but has also contacted me. Both are trying to bully me to either cancel on my own accord, or pay the higher rate.

Isn't this a violation of bait and switch policies? You would not go to a restaurant, order the special of their printed menu and expect to pay more when the food arrives, no?

Mistake rates seems to be honored less and less. As anyone simply checked into the hotel, paid the higher rate and then deal with their credit card for refunding the difference as it was not the original agreed upon non-refundable rate offered?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I'm going to agree with you.. As if you book a hotel months/weeks in advance with a pre-paid rate. If they have abundant availability closer to check-in date and offer $79 or $109 - rarely will they refund you the difference because you are locked in. Unfortunate how it appears you are cheating if you booked a great rate but they have no problems charging you $329 for a room now offered at $99.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by idealflyer
I hate to see hotels getting away with this. Booking.com had Sheraton DFW for $49 on the Club level. Hotel is offering $119 as a "middle ground". Booking.com is still showing the same rate but has also contacted me. Both are trying to bully me to either cancel on my own accord, or pay the higher rate.

Isn't this a violation of bait and switch policies? You would not go to a restaurant, order the special of their printed menu and expect to pay more when the food arrives, no?

Mistake rates seems to be honored less and less. As anyone simply checked into the hotel, paid the higher rate and then deal with their credit card for refunding the difference as it was not the original agreed upon non-refundable rate offered?
I'd hate to see this thread devolve into more misplaced moral indignation, as the entire point of the thread is premised on the idea that, no, you shouldn't assume all mistake rates will (or should) be honored. But no, the proper comparison would be if you saw a sign saying Filet Mignon, $4.0, and you knew it was a mistake and meant $40., but you nonetheless brought all your friends to the restaurant, which you would never otherwise go to, and each demand $4 filet mignon and tap water for dinner.

The reason mistake fares and rates are less frequently honored is because of the greed of consumers. That was a major factor in the US DOT changing its position on mistake fares. Reasonableness of consumers would go a long way. You are trying to bully them just as much as they're trying to bully you. You're arguably worse as you're trying to take advantage of what you know to be an innocent mistake.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 6, 2015 at 5:54 am
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AA, EC, FB, M&M, HH, Accor, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by Adam1222
But no, the proper comparison would be if you saw a sign saying Filet Mignon, $4.0, and you knew it was a mistake and meant $40., but you nonetheless brought all your friends to the restaurant, which you would never otherwise go to, and each demand $4 filet mignon and tap water for dinner.
And what about almost daily Spam with special offers like "Filet as low as $4.0"?

I have faced personally many mistake rates on Booking.com. That is why I always contact the hotel in order to confirm my reservations and rates. Once I argued as the rate in low season looked like a special offer they spammed me with and hotel honored it. Most of times I just cancel my reservation if they say it is a mistake rate or let them do it for me.

Last edited by Isoveli; Jul 6, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:51 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
I fail to see the comparison between a $49 hotel rate in Texas to a $4 filet mignon. It is more like the restaurant charging $20 instead of the $40 if comparing percentages. You can blame us for greed if the hotel was $4 and we were demanding justice. There are plenty of hotels in DFW with weekend rates well below the $119 being offered as a compromise rate. It is not like there are thousands of business travelers in town for the weekend with padded expense accounts.

Anyways, I booked the nearby Westin for $77, a hotel that is twice as nice as the Sheraton DFW at half the "special rate" offered by the hotel. On the SPG website too without any nonsense or trickery about is the rate a mistake, will it be honored, and are we all going to hell because looking for a great deal, etc.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I believe 50% off hotel rates is (or at least used to be) a common occurrence. It is not like I am demanding the hotel honor a $29 at the Ritz Carlton in New York for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.