Reload this Page >

Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:50 am

If things are non refundable you will have to find other accommodations if they do not honer.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:08 pm

I also want to thank chokdee for his posts. I made reservation (one of his findings) and keep my finger crossed to have it honored on check-in
Old May 1, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
WIKI-fy?
Old May 6, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Any advice on this one? I made a weekend reservation (not prepaid) at a small regional chain using a coupon. After making the reservation my wife pointed out that the fine print said the coupon was not valid for weekend stays.

The clerk who took the reservation said it was her second day on the job so she wouldn't have known.

I called back the next day and asked the clerk if my reservation was good at the quoted rate despite the fact that the coupon is not valid those days. She said yes and told me I'm "good to go". (The PDF reservation document I was e-mailed was very basic and has no reference to res. codes, coupon or anything like that.)

Of course, I don't have anything in writing... so now it's bugging me that if I show up, they might tell me that the rate is no good. Any thoughts on this scenario?
Old May 7, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Any advice on this one? I made a weekend reservation (not prepaid) at a small regional chain using a coupon. After making the reservation my wife pointed out that the fine print said the coupon was not valid for weekend stays.

The clerk who took the reservation said it was her second day on the job so she wouldn't have known.

I called back the next day and asked the clerk if my reservation was good at the quoted rate despite the fact that the coupon is not valid those days. She said yes and told me I'm "good to go". (The PDF reservation document I was e-mailed was very basic and has no reference to res. codes, coupon or anything like that.)

Of course, I don't have anything in writing... so now it's bugging me that if I show up, they might tell me that the rate is no good. Any thoughts on this scenario?
You made a big mistake - which was calling back and pointing out the coupon was not valid. Don't say anything when checking in or out, just give your coupon. But if there's an issue, be persistent, and say you were specifically told by the clerk that this would not be an issue.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Adam1222
You made a big mistake - which was calling back and pointing out the coupon was not valid. Don't say anything when checking in or out, just give your coupon. But if there's an issue, be persistent, and say you were specifically told by the clerk that this would not be an issue.
Thanks for the advice!

I wasn't really going to make a fuss over it, if they told me the rate was NG I would have cancelled the reservation and gone somewhere else. I just didn't want any surprises, which is why I called back. But they specifically told me that it wouldn't be a problem.

I guess if worse comes to worst and they refuse to honour it when I show up, then hello Priceline...
Old May 13, 2014, 8:23 am

''Mistake'' Rates under US law.

I wonder if anybody might be able to give their 10 cents worth as to whether under US law I have a good case to fight regarding a prepaid rate being honoured. No I'm not going to sue anybody but just wondering if I have a reasonable case to push for the rate being honoured with the OTA under the T&C's.

I have 12 nights booked for $70 pn at a 5* Thai hotel through a UK OTA but the booking was arranged through EAN (Expedia affiliate Network) . They took prepayment and issued me with my confirmation voucher.

I have a screen shot of EAN's T&C's which are under US jurisdiction and there is a clause about incorrect rates and their right to cancel.

Here it is:-

Liability disclaimer
THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, AND SERVICES PUBLISHED ON THIS WEBSITE MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS, INCLUDING PRICING ERRORS. IN PARTICULAR, EAN AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES AND CORPORATE AFFILIATES (THE "EAN GROUP COMPANIES") AND THE AFFILIATED, CO- BRANDED AND/OR LINKED WEBSITE PARTNERS THROUGH WHO PROMOTE THE TRAVEL PRODUCTS AND SERVICES (COLLECTIVELY, THE "EAN AFFILIATES") DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OF, AND DISCLAIM ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY ERRORS OR OTHER INACCURACIES RELATING TO THE INFORMATION AND DESCRIPTION OF THE HOTEL, AIR, CRUISE, CAR AND OTHER TRAVEL PRODUCTS DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE PRICING, PHOTOGRAPHS, LIST OF HOTEL AMENITIES, GENERAL PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS, ETC.). IN ADDITION, WE EXPRESSLY RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CORRECT ANY PRICING ERRORS ON OUR WEBSITE AND/OR ON PENDING RESERVATIONS MADE UNDER AN INCORRECT PRICE. IN SUCH EVENT, IF AVAILABLE, WE WILL OFFER YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP YOUR PENDING RESERVATION AT THE CORRECT PRICE OR WE WILL CANCEL YOUR
RESERVATION WITHOUT PENALTY.

However as you can see they only reserve the right to cancel ''pending'' reservations which I rightly or wrongly perceive to be reservations that are pending payment.

As I have said my reservation has been confirmed and the money taken from my account and I have the voucher in hand.

Normally Expedia are pretty good about honouring special rate prepaid reservations so what do people think about my chances if I choose to fight this via email correspondence?

The OTA have made no mention of EAN or Expedia and merely sent a pretty limp mail saying ''the hotel'' were unable to honour due to ''unforeseen circumstances'' They have offered me a vastly inferior hotel as a replacement or a ''free'' refund.

And please.....

Before anybody gets on their ''high horse'' and goes down the usual route of ''you did not share and now you want us to help bla bla'' kindly note I booked the deal way past by bedtime in the small hours ,went to sleep and when I woke a few hours later the deal had vanished.

I have posted too many deals to remember on these forums and consequently now suffer from ''mistake rate wrist''. I try to post asap(usually immediately) but sometimes deals have to wait a few hours to be posted, especially where sleep is concerned and I have an early morning start!
Old May 13, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by chokdee
I wonder if anybody might be able to give their 10 cents worth as to whether under US law I have a good case to fight regarding a prepaid rate being honoured. No I'm not going to sue anybody but just wondering if I have a reasonable case to push for the rate being honoured with the OTA under the T&C's.

I have 12 nights booked for $70 pn at a 5* Thai hotel through a UK OTA but the booking was arranged through EAN (Expedia affiliate Network) . They took prepayment and issued me with my confirmation voucher.

I have a screen shot of EAN's T&C's which are under US jurisdiction and there is a clause about incorrect rates and their right to cancel.

Here it is:-

Liability disclaimer
THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, AND SERVICES PUBLISHED ON THIS WEBSITE MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS, INCLUDING PRICING ERRORS. IN PARTICULAR, EAN AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES AND CORPORATE AFFILIATES (THE "EAN GROUP COMPANIES") AND THE AFFILIATED, CO- BRANDED AND/OR LINKED WEBSITE PARTNERS THROUGH WHO PROMOTE THE TRAVEL PRODUCTS AND SERVICES (COLLECTIVELY, THE "EAN AFFILIATES") DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OF, AND DISCLAIM ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY ERRORS OR OTHER INACCURACIES RELATING TO THE INFORMATION AND DESCRIPTION OF THE HOTEL, AIR, CRUISE, CAR AND OTHER TRAVEL PRODUCTS DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE PRICING, PHOTOGRAPHS, LIST OF HOTEL AMENITIES, GENERAL PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS, ETC.). IN ADDITION, WE EXPRESSLY RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CORRECT ANY PRICING ERRORS ON OUR WEBSITE AND/OR ON PENDING RESERVATIONS MADE UNDER AN INCORRECT PRICE. IN SUCH EVENT, IF AVAILABLE, WE WILL OFFER YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP YOUR PENDING RESERVATION AT THE CORRECT PRICE OR WE WILL CANCEL YOUR
RESERVATION WITHOUT PENALTY.

However as you can see they only reserve the right to cancel ''pending'' reservations which I rightly or wrongly perceive to be reservations that are pending payment.

As I have said my reservation has been confirmed and the money taken from my account and I have the voucher in hand.

Normally Expedia are pretty good about honouring special rate prepaid reservations so what do people think about my chances if I choose to fight this via email correspondence?

The OTA have made no mention of EAN or Expedia and merely sent a pretty limp mail saying ''the hotel'' were unable to honour due to ''unforeseen circumstances'' They have offered me a vastly inferior hotel as a replacement or a ''free'' refund.

And please.....

Before anybody gets on their ''high horse'' and goes down the usual route of ''you did not share and now you want us to help bla bla'' kindly note I booked the deal way past by bedtime in the small hours ,went to sleep and when I woke a few hours later the deal had vanished.

I have posted too many deals to remember on these forums and consequently now suffer from ''mistake rate wrist''. I try to post asap(usually immediately) but sometimes deals have to wait a few hours to be posted, especially where sleep is concerned and I have an early morning start!

1) Any legal advice you get here is worth what you pay for it.
2) They seem to have covered their ground with the waiver. Your opinion as to what constitutes a pending reservation is irrelevant.
3) If you knew it was a mistake rate when you booked it, you typically do not have a contractual cause of action.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:20 pm

1) Any legal advice you get here is worth what you pay for it.
2) They seem to have covered their ground with the waiver. Your opinion as to what constitutes a pending reservation is irrelevant.
3) If you knew it was a mistake rate when you booked it, you typically do not have a contractual cause of action.
Thank you for your feedback.

1) Yes I appreciate your point about legal advice. I have no intention of fighting this in an overseas court ,I have far more important things to waste my time and hard earned money on than to fill the coffers of the legal profession.

2)Yes..maybe my opinion is irrelevant regarding what constitutes a pending reservation. But none the less on reading the T&C's (as I did)I would like to think hypothetically that a court of law would have been of the same opinion regarding what is generally considered a pending reservation.

When you do a search all over the web as to what constitutes a pending reservation on flights or hotel bookings then almost universally you get the same answer from various companies websites, that is ...it is a reservation that is pending confirmation and consequently payment. If pending is supposed to mean all reservations, confirmed and unconfirmed then it is indeed very misleading for most people.

How easy would it have been to be more specific to cover any misunderstandings and add the words ''pending and confirmed'' in the relevant clause? Makes you wonder who they consult to write such unclear mumbo jumbo for us mere laymen.

3)Knowing something is a mistake rate when priced around $70 is a very difficult thing to gauge in these times. The truth is sometimes you think it might be but on the other hand you equally feel it well might not be..there are some great deals out there that are not mistakes. I have also stayed at this same hotel for less a few years ago.So nothing was clear cut. The booking then was also with Expedia and no questions were asked .

Well thanks again. I have raised my points with the OTA so we will see what they come back with but I'm not holding my breath!
Old May 13, 2014, 7:43 pm

I am fairly confident you have no reason to worry about filling the coffers of the legal profession you have such disdain for, as there are no lawyers in small claims court or who would take this case- even at an hourly fee.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:43 am

I am fairly confident you have no reason to worry about filling the coffers of the legal profession you have such disdain for, as there are no lawyers in small claims court or who would take this case- even at an hourly fee.

That's great news ..thanks for putting my mind at rest^

Distain for lawyers...absolutely not, most if not all of those I have dealt with are great chaps. I think they are overpaid for what they do in certain instances though, the last one I told so in a friendly and humorous way, and his reply with a smile on his face was ''yes you are probably right''.... now that's my type of person,let alone lawyer
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:06 am

An update with regard to the hotel that I booked with EAN through an OTA.

The agent continued to offer me other hotels which I found unacceptable compared to the quality of the hotel I had booked.

I continued friendly dialog but eventually things were going nowhere so I went for the ''end game'' and politely but firmly requested that they either honour my reservation in full or cancel it outright showing me where in the T&C's they were entitled to do so. If they had produced something to this effect then as always it would have been time to accept the fine print and move on.

However it would appear that they agreed with me that whatever it is that constitutes a ''pending reservation'' it is most certainly not a ''confirmed'' reservation.

They sent me a very nicely worded email offering me a full refund for my original hotel plus a complimentary 12 night stay at a Villa inc bft at a reasonable 4.5 * Thai beach resort.

While my original reservation has not been honoured I have to say that the offer of a free stay has come as a bit of a shock and was beyond anything that I had expected.^ I have of course accepted their extremely kind offer.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
While my original reservation has not been honoured I have to say that the offer of a free stay has come as a bit of a shock and was beyond anything that I had expected.^ I have of course accepted their extremely kind offer.
Very nice!

Seeing your post reminded me to report back on my experience with the First Hotel Mayfair deal in Copenhagen I shared a little while back... I booked on Hotelopia and never received any reminder emails or notes from the hotel beyond my initial confirmation. Because of this, I was a bit skeptical that it would be honored, but when I showed up, I checked in with no problems and was offered the full range of services at the hotel, including free breakfast. The hotel is central and the rooms are small-ish but nicely decorated. All in all it was a very nice hotel for an unbeatable price. Thanks to EHD for the find (and thanks to chokdee for the continued awesome postings)!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
An update with regard to the hotel that I booked with EAN through an OTA.

The agent continued to offer me other hotels which I found unacceptable compared to the quality of the hotel I had booked.

I continued friendly dialog but eventually things were going nowhere so I went for the ''end game'' and politely but firmly requested that they either honour my reservation in full or cancel it outright showing me where in the T&C's they were entitled to do so. If they had produced something to this effect then as always it would have been time to accept the fine print and move on.

However it would appear that they agreed with me that whatever it is that constitutes a ''pending reservation'' it is most certainly not a ''confirmed'' reservation.

They sent me a very nicely worded email offering me a full refund for my original hotel plus a complimentary 12 night stay at a Villa inc bft at a reasonable 4.5 * Thai beach resort.

Wow - very nice for you!

I'm getting a few pleasant surprises myself lately as well. ^
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mtvesuvius
Very nice!

Seeing your post reminded me to report back on my experience with the First Hotel Mayfair deal in Copenhagen I shared a little while back... I booked on Hotelopia and never received any reminder emails or notes from the hotel beyond my initial confirmation. Because of this, I was a bit skeptical that it would be honored, but when I showed up, I checked in with no problems and was offered the full range of services at the hotel, including free breakfast. The hotel is central and the rooms are small-ish but nicely decorated. All in all it was a very nice hotel for an unbeatable price. Thanks to EHD for the find (and thanks to chokdee for the continued awesome postings)!
That's good news. I just came back from the Hotel Silken Ramblas in BCN on a ''lets see what happens when we turn up'' deal. Like you we had no problems at check in and the staff could not have been more friendly. No free breakfast on this one however, not that I would have made it in time after a couple of very late nights however

Thanks for posting your experience, its good to hear how some of these deals go. In my experience it is very rare for a deal to go wrong at check in but the golden rule is to always have a backup plan just in case you pick up that unlucky ''short straw'' once in a very long while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.