Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So I booked the marina sands resort in Singapore for 4 days with a total of about 360 usd.

They recently emailed me saying it was a mistake and won't honor it but will offer a 100 credit food and beverage if I rebook at the normal rates (350 a day). Am I SOL? I honestly was had no idea it was a mistake. I just thought they had a sale or something since it was through their site.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
+1

I'd been getting their email alerts for months, with nothing usuable, until one instance, when I booked one night in a local hotel for a 'staycation', not even realizing it might have been a mistake rate, as the rate looked more like a great promo than a downright mistake. However, quickly the rate was adjusted up. I've since unsubscribed.
I booked a 3 night stay in Boston in November for $109 thanks to extremehoteldeals.com
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Cthunder86
So I booked the marina sands resort in Singapore for 4 days with a total of about 360 usd.

They recently emailed me saying it was a mistake and won't honor it but will offer a 100 credit food and beverage if I rebook at the normal rates (350 a day). Am I SOL? I honestly was had no idea it was a mistake. I just thought they had a sale or something since it was through their site.
I'd certainly fight it. Complain on their Facebook and Twitter pages.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:45 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
I once booked a ticket through the "singapore tourist agency" you know the one in the airport that is "official" for the Gardens of the Bay. I insisted they confirm that everything was open and then bought my full admission.
Well same day, when I arrived. It was closed for repairs. The very nice supervisor told me she told the "official tourist agency" not to sell tickets that day for same day admissions because they were closed.
She called them told them to refund my money.
Of course next day they refused.
I contested it on my credit card. They replied that I signed for it and was therefore responsible.
US bank believed them despite the letters and emails from the boss at the Gardens of the Bay telling them to refund my money. I appealed, they wrote answers, and answers and answers. All lies.
Singapore, unbelievable, crooked, scams of neo-liberalism and privatized commissioned "agencies." All with the veneer of law, due process, and procedure.
I'd rather stay home then go there.
Good luck.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:40 pm

Cthunder86, can you please update us as to how this turned out?

I have a general question to ask about SPG hotels - when something like this happens and if the hotel refuses to honor the rate booked, what is Starwood's policy? If the hotel has not sent you an e-mail sufficiently in advance and refuse to honor the rate when you arrive at the Front Desk, what is the best way to handle it assuming it is too late in the evening to look for another hotel?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Update on MARINA Sands

Other than a apology and the SG100 food and beverage credit if I rebook at the normal price..I did not receive any sort of new compensation.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:19 pm

Other than a apology and the SG100 food and beverage credit if I rebook at the normal price..I did not receive any sort of new compensation.
I think you should post it on their TripAdvisor page with a low rating...so that others are aware of their tactics. And a complaint to the Singapore Tourism Board cannot hurt also.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by phoochka
I think you should post it on their TripAdvisor page with a low rating...so that others are aware of their tactics. And a complaint to the Singapore Tourism Board cannot hurt also.
Since most guests are not trying to get a mistake rate, their "tactics" of not honoring mistake rates isn't particularly relevant. The average traveler will not have much sympathy for you, since they're paying the full rate.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah, trying to get sympathy from the general audience for clear mistake rates, will get you nowhere (except for online bashings on how you are trying to game the system)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
So I have for the first time booked one of these, I stumbled across it at Hotels.com. Unfortunately it's a "pay at property rate" at a high-end brand so we will see how things work out.

At least I have made backup bookings with points that I can live at least it's adding some spice to the trip, I'll see if I get cancellations or counteroffers or what...

According to Hotels.com's fine print they have some "large print about it.."

PRICES

The price of the travel services will be as quoted on the website from time to time, except in cases of obvious error. Prices are liable to change at any time, but changes will not affect bookings already accepted. Despite Hotels.com’s best efforts, some of the travel services listed on the website may be incorrectly priced. HOTELS.COM EXPRESSLY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CORRECT ANY PRICING ERRORS ON OUR WEBSITE AND/OR ON PENDING RESERVATIONS MADE UNDER AN INCORRECT PRICE. IN SUCH EVENT, IF AVAILABLE, WE WILL OFFER YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP YOUR PENDING RESERVATION AT THE CORRECT PRICE OR WE WILL CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION WITHOUT PENALTY. Hotels.com is under no obligation to provide travel services to you at an incorrect (lower) price, even after you have been sent confirmation of your booking.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by jumbooze
So I have for the first time booked one of these, I stumbled across it at Hotels.com. Unfortunately it's a "pay at property rate" at a high-end brand so we will see how things work out.

At least I have made backup bookings with points that I can live at least it's adding some spice to the trip, I'll see if I get cancellations or counteroffers or what...

According to Hotels.com's fine print they have some "large print about it.."

PRICES

The price of the travel services will be as quoted on the website from time to time, except in cases of obvious error. Prices are liable to change at any time, but changes will not affect bookings already accepted. Despite Hotels.com’s best efforts, some of the travel services listed on the website may be incorrectly priced. HOTELS.COM EXPRESSLY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CORRECT ANY PRICING ERRORS ON OUR WEBSITE AND/OR ON PENDING RESERVATIONS MADE UNDER AN INCORRECT PRICE. IN SUCH EVENT, IF AVAILABLE, WE WILL OFFER YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP YOUR PENDING RESERVATION AT THE CORRECT PRICE OR WE WILL CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION WITHOUT PENALTY. Hotels.com is under no obligation to provide travel services to you at an incorrect (lower) price, even after you have been sent confirmation of your booking.
Talking about Bali I assume
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Westin
Talking about Bali I assume
wherever did you get that idea

Last edited by jumbooze; Jul 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:15 pm

I would probably go to their FB and Twitter pages and voice my opinion.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by DealAddict
www.extremehoteldeals.com

Rarely anything worthwile, but sometimes there is...
I did use it for the Capitol Hilton few days ago. Thanks for the reminder of this website - almost forgot it exists.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Well. I have never stumbled across a mistake fare (as far as I know) until now. It's a pay at hotel situation in Bali. The going rate is about 6,000,000 IDR, but the room rate charged was 500. So like $.04 per night. I paid the deposit of first night's stay. My confirmation email is consistent with that. I'm assuming this is going to be a 100% no go, but dang if it works...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.