Reload this Page >

Carlson Hotels (Radisson) Family & Friends Rate - 2009 - 2017 Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhatnasx
The Friends and Family rate is intended to be offered to travellers who are "friend and family members" of a Carlson employee. That could be a hotel employee, a travel agent (Carlson Wagonlit) or restaurant employee (TGIF) (TGIF sold to Sentinel Capital Partners as of July 2014).

When you book the rate, you are supposed to have the basic data on your friend available at check-in for the hotel to verify that you are indeed authorized to use that rate. Generally, if they ask, they ask for:
1) Employee Name
2) Work location

Please consider that, as per T&C, only employee name and location can be requested only at the check in time.

The new code is RHGRFNF
NOTE:
Booking a rate that you're not entitled to book may result in rate adjustments and Club Carlson account freezing.

In general, the rate is €80 per night in Europe.

*These stays post as "Ineligible" - non-qualifying, non-stay, non-points earning ... so, in sum, don't associate a F&F reservation with your Gold Points account, unless elite perks you hope to enjoy are worth the risk.
Print Wikipost

Carlson Hotels (Radisson) Family & Friends Rate - 2009 - 2017 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by srodr
While I generally agree with your sentiment, reading 3/4 of a 130 page thread is not a 10 minute venture.
He did not mean that one needs to read 3/4 of the 130 page, but rather that 3/4 of the thread gives over and over again the information which makes the question asked irrelevant. In other word. If reading almost any page, or at most any random two pages would have led them not to ask that question.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by spacecrafter
"Unfortunately Radisson Blu is enforcing the rule more strictly than other properties."
and
Originally Posted by desi
Zurich staff seems to be strange. They seem to be confusing employee rate with F&F rate. In any case, if they are concerned about "abuse", it is easy for each individual hotel not to load that rate in the inventory.
My understanding is that at least one in Radisson Blu Scandinavia's audit department in Sweden is confusing it with the employee rate, telling properties that only the employee can book it for their family members or friends. They are even telling the staff that it can't be booked on the website, which we all know isn't true.

The knowledge or experience of the local property management is the bellwether as to how the use of the rate is treated.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
At checkout the front desk manager refused to discuss an ongoing issue I had during my stay, namely receiving unwanted wake up calls each morning. Instead, she threatened retaliation towards myself, and my friend for using the rate.
I'm sure you'll show due "retaliation" and not only post negative reviews on TripAdvisor, etc. but also to lodge complaints with Radisson management. Sounds like the front desk manager needs some re-training.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
The Radisson Blu Madrid Prado was highly hostile at checkout due to using the F&F rate. I legitimately used it as a college friend of mine is now a GM for one of the North America hotels, he has repeatedly told me to use the rate.

At checkout the front desk manager refused to discuss an ongoing issue I had during my stay, namely receiving unwanted wake up calls each morning. Instead, she threatened retaliation towards myself, and my friend for using the rate.
Was she short with short hair in her late 40's? If not then they have 2 front desk mgrs with attitude. BTW she cant retaliate so don't worry.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Enigma
I'm sure you'll show due "retaliation" and not only post negative reviews on TripAdvisor, etc. but also to lodge complaints with Radisson management. Sounds like the front desk manager needs some re-training.
That's the plan. The behavior was completely inappropriate.

Originally Posted by cruisr
Was she short with short hair in her late 40's? If not then they have 2 front desk mgrs with attitude. BTW she cant retaliate so don't worry.
I would say that would be her by your description. Neither I, nor my friend are worried about retaliation. We are both escalating a complaint about the situation through the appropriate channels externally and internally.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
That's the plan. The behavior was completely inappropriate.

I would say that would be her by your description. Neither I, nor my friend are worried about retaliation. We are both escalating a complaint about the situation through the appropriate channels externally and internally.
So you should. The bullying/intimidation that you describe should have no place in a quality hotel.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by srodr
While I generally agree with your sentiment, reading 3/4 of a 130 page thread is not a 10 minute venture.
Well, if someone wants the cake to be shared, at least he/she has to make the minimum effort to understand how the party works and who is legitimate to join.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
He did not mean that one needs to read 3/4 of the 130 page, but rather that 3/4 of the thread gives over and over again the information which makes the question asked irrelevant. In other word. If reading almost any page, or at most any random two pages would have led them not to ask that question.
Exactly, nothing to add.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
Any recent experiences in REK, Iceland? I have the name of an employee of a property that I had a problem with so I have a name and location. Anyone know if the REK properties are strict? haven't received an email asking for the info and I made the res about a week ago. I booked the Saga.
Read Lucky's piece today on that hotel @ One Mile at a Time. It has pictures and he makes it sound like a real dump
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by EWRfflyer
Read Lucky's piece today on that hotel @ One Mile at a Time. It has pictures and he makes it sound like a real dump
She'll find the 1919 hotel to be much better, although she should realise the general standard of hotels in Iceland is (IMO) not up to the standards found elsewhere in Europe. The Saga is still good value though at €80. You definitely won't find anything better for that price (other than the 1919!)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by EWRfflyer
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
She'll find the 1919 hotel to be much better, although she should realise the general standard of hotels in Iceland is (IMO) not up to the standards found elsewhere in Europe. The Saga is still good value though at €80. You definitely won't find anything better for that price (other than the 1919!)
^

Frankly I think that Carlson should intervene on some properties:

the Radisson Blu Saga Hotel in Reykjavik should be modernized/restructured or dismissed as Carlson property. It's unacceptable that a Radisson property has so low standards. In particular if the reward redemption has been fixed at 57.000pts/night!

The same consideration is valid also for other properties.
IMHO I think that Carlson should preserve a minimum quality limit, that must not be crossed. Otherwise, if the renovation would be unprofitable, the property should be dismissed in the short-mid term by Carlson
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:02 pm

US hotels are often better classed as motels. Definite variation in quality. Not good for the 'brand'
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Enigma
US hotels are often better classed as motels. Definite variation in quality. Not good for the 'brand'
It isn't too different with other brands. Look at Hilton's Doubletree brand, remarkably inconsistent in how high-end or low-end some of the properties are. Radisson is bad in this department too, even Radisson Blu.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum
FYI 2015 dates are now showing up when searching
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:33 am

Radisson Blu Berlin

Just returned after 3 nights. No questions asked at registration. Great hotel in a great location. Can't beat the 80 Euro rate.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by flightmedic
Just returned after 3 nights. No questions asked at registration. Great hotel in a great location. Can't beat the 80 Euro rate.
Did you receive an email in advance from the hotel about using the FF rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.