Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
Wow. I’m in Bangkok and have a Hkg to US flight Monday, Cathay cancelled all but one of the Bkk Hkg flight. They moved many of us to Sunday night flight to overnight at airport hotel. This is going to cause major issues for connecting flights.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:19 am

Perhaps Cathay has special arrangements, but till now the rule for affected travellers has been a) not subject to quarantine if only in transit, not passing immigration, b) subject to 14-day quarantine if passing immigration, and c) once subject to quarantine cannot leave HK till quarantine has ended.

I would suggest playing it super-safe and planning on staying airside in HK, no matter how long you have to stay there.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
They might notIt's published https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/599c_en.pdf

When they were planning the home quarantine initially they wanted to use wrist bracelets which report to phones. The wrist bracelet allows a small allowance of movement from home.

I think they eventually abandoned the bracelet for Chun Yeung Village
Update 18/3: the bracelets are a requirement again https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...eb8d840e82126e

Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by helvetic
HK still isn't included. I think I've basically made up my mind and will be staying put in Singapore for now.
It's not a bad place to be. If there is one city anywhere in the world where I'm going to be stuck for a month or two, it'll be Singapore.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:29 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I've just negotiated a 1 month stay at my hotel here. My HK home is holding my stuff until I get back here. Will be getting the SG visa in the next month or two.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:00 pm

L'Hotel in Tsuen Wan is offering a $10k/30 day rate too.
helvetic likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:57 am

Libraries and public recreational facilities, which had been gradually re-opening in the past three weeks, will be closing again as of Monday, March 23.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I've just negotiated a 1 month stay at my hotel here. My HK home is holding my stuff until I get back here. Will be getting the SG visa in the next month or two.
Hotel Jen?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by lsquare
Hotel Jen?
I'm staying at the Intercontinental Robertson Quay in Singapore while my home in HK is the Hyatt Centric (I stopped staying at Hotel Jen after they started housing Chinese HKU students in Corona-quarantine). Hotel Jen in SG is quite decent too, for the record
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:07 am

From RTHK:

網上傳聞指特首今公布嚴厲抗疫措施 政府稱全屬虛構

"Government Absolutely Denies Web Rumours the Chief Executive Is to Announce Strict Measures to Deal with the Epidemic."

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/ch/compone...3-20200324.htm
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Wait, wasn't banning alcohol incredibly drastic already? How are we supposed to survive the apocalypse sober?
Cryofern likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:32 am

Wait, wasn't banning alcohol incredibly drastic already? How are we supposed to survive the apocalypse sober?
We don’t want to stop law-enforcement and entertainers having gatherings.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:35 am

The key to understanding that last post is that they were having drinks with their meal in a Chinese restaurant.

And the new restrictions don't bar drinks with meals in restaurants. They bar drinking in bars and such.

This is the official rationale for the distinction:

"Sometimes when you go out to eat at a restaurant or a banquet hall you sit further away and can split dishes to eat. But often when you go to a bar, you take off your face masks, have a drink, chat, sometimes people get a bit intimate when they’re drunk, and this will raise the risk of cross infection.”

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...2-20200323.htm
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by 889
The key to understanding that last post is that they were having drinks with their meal in a Chinese restaurant.

And the new restrictions don't bar drinks with meals in restaurants. They bar drinking in bars and such.

This is the official rationale for the distinction:

"Sometimes when you go out to eat at a restaurant or a banquet hall you sit further away and can split dishes to eat. But often when you go to a bar, you take off your face masks, have a drink, chat, sometimes people get a bit intimate when they’re drunk, and this will raise the risk of cross infection.”

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...2-20200323.htm
I do wonder whether Chinese lunches in Tamar are served a la carte..."Tamar bubble"?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:41 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

New York - among other states - considers alcohol "essential." Ridic.

To enter yourself as an involuntary teetotaler, go to the OMNI fora.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.