Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:05 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by helvetic
Haha, so this means that we can still go to Peel St during quarantine since it's outside govt hours?
Haha but I hope you're joking.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:19 pm

If you're under home quarantine and your building staff know -- and I'll assume that -- then sneaking out for a late-night snack would involve some risk, especially with CCTV recording away in the lifts etc.

As mentioned before here, there's little privacy in Hong Kong housing blocks.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by 889
If you're under home quarantine and your building staff know -- and I'll assume that -- then sneaking out for a late-night snack would involve some risk, especially with CCTV recording away in the lifts etc.

As mentioned before here, there's little privacy in Hong Kong housing blocks.
They might notIt's published https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/599c_en.pdf

When they were planning the home quarantine initially they wanted to use wrist bracelets which report to phones. The wrist bracelet allows a small allowance of movement from home.

I think they eventually abandoned the bracelet for Chun Yeung Village

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 15, 2020 at 10:49 pm
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:28 pm

They might not know, but your working assumption should be that they do know. When your particular block shows up on the quarantine list starting on a particular date, it's human nature for the staff to try to figure out just who it is.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by 889
They might not know, but your working assumption should be that they do know. When your particular block shows up on the quarantine list starting on a particular date, it's human nature for the staff to try to figure out just who it is.
Wait wait wait my bad. Compulsory home quarantine list is published https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/599c_en.pdf
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:50 pm

Yep, when your block shows up on the list, just ask one of the cleaners or guards which flat's been quarantined.
percysmith and tentseller like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by 889
Yep, when your block shows up on the list, just ask one of the cleaners or guards which flat's been quarantined.
(provided you've given an adequate laisee to the cleaner/guard on 初x the information should be supplied)
tentseller and 889 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:53 am

In case anyone's reading this besides the half-dozen of us posting here, they should be aware that talk is becoming much louder about home-quarantining everyone arriving in Hong Kong, and banning entry to non-residents coming from especially infected areas.

And with Europe about to close itself off and other countries adopting similar measures, air travel as we know it seems about to fade away.

The message is pretty clear: If you intend to be in Hong Kong in the next couple of months, get your ticket now for travel ASAP, whatever the costs.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:03 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
@889 thoughts on HK<>SG travel? Hearing any word of an outright ban?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:53 pm

As you probably know, Singapore just imposed mandatory home-stay on those coming from ASEAN countries.

And you've probably also heard that Canada is now closing itself off to all except citizens/residents and Americans.

It's pretty clear where we're headed. Get to where you expect to be for the next two or three months NOW. Don't let wishful thinking control.

Interestingly, while many left Hong Kong a month or so ago because of the virus, the city has now become a relatively stable place to sit out the epidemic. Not to suggest that sitting out the epidemic anywhere is going to be great fun.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 889
As you probably know, Singapore just imposed mandatory home-stay on those coming from ASEAN countries.

And you've probably also heard that Canada is now closing itself off to all except citizens/residents and Americans.

It's pretty clear where we're headed. Get to where you expect to be for the next two or three months NOW. Don't let wishful thinking control.

Interestingly, while many left Hong Kong a month or so ago because of the virus, the city has now become a relatively stable place to sit out the epidemic. Not to suggest that sitting out the epidemic anywhere is going to be great fun.
HK still isn't included. I think I've basically made up my mind and will be staying put in Singapore for now.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by 889
In case anyone's reading this besides the half-dozen of us posting here, they should be aware that talk is becoming much louder about home-quarantining everyone arriving in Hong Kong, and banning entry to non-residents coming from especially infected areas.
HK to mandatory home quarantine *all* arrivals starting Thursday

Coronavirus: Hong Kong to place arrivals from all foreign countries under home quarantine https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ls-all-foreign
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
That's though, you pay high hotel rates to be stranded in the hotel.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81
That's though, you pay high hotel rates to be stranded in the hotel.
Nothing high about hotel rates in HK lately. I was living at the Centric for about a third of what my 1br rent used to be when I still had a place.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:42 am

There's now this Note in the Cathay travel restrictions for Hong Kong:

"Note: Hotels will not be eligible for home quarantine. Anyone who does not have a home address will be refused entry."

Not sure if this only applies to some countries. Indeed, not certain it's correct, since I haven't seen it elsewhere, but the rules are constantly changing. Nonetheless, it strongly suggests that at least if you're flying Cathay you may have trouble boarding your flight without a HK home address.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...trictions.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.