Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
As I said before, if they follow the SARS approach, there will be a notice in the lift lobby alerting all residents there's a quarantine case in the block. It won't identify the flat, but you can be sure everyone will quickly know it. So there'll be eyes everywhere. As well, HK residential blocks have a 24-hour guard, and usually CCTV in the lift that's recorded. And then there are the cleaning people and household helpers who gossip.

Not all that much privacy in Hong Kong, really.
Being conversational in Tagalog gives me the advantage to hear many "local news" until our helper outed me after overhearing one of my virtual meetings.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://chp-dashboard.geodata.gov.hk/nia/en.html

Live dashboard with HK map of developing cases.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Hey, HK, Kiasu hello from Singapore, after yesterday's evening's code Orange, good luck finding toilet paper here.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:00 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by invisible
Hey, HK, Kiasu hello from Singapore, after yesterday's evening's code Orange, good luck finding toilet paper here.
You would think it’s an outbreak of diarrhoea instead of 2019-nCoV!
Just got back to SIN night before yesterday from PVG... enjoying my LOA at home.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:39 pm

According to Mingbao, those subject to home quarantine aren't being provided any special transport home: they make their way home the usual way by bus>MTR or taxi from Shenzhen Bay or the bridge. As well, while they aren't supposed to have guests at home, their family members will continue to be with them and their family members will be free to circulate in the community. Plans to bracelet those in quarantine have been abandoned.

Not sure if these measures institute an effective quarantine or are largely for show,
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 889
According to Mingbao, those subject to home quarantine aren't being provided any special transport home: they make their way home the usual way by bus>MTR or taxi from Shenzhen Bay or the bridge. As well, while they aren't supposed to have guests at home, their family members will continue to be with them and their family members will be free to circulate in the community. Plans to bracelet those in quarantine have been abandoned.

Not sure if these measures institute an effective quarantine or are largely for show,
Doesn't seem like it's going to be very effective to me.
wrp96 and Visconti like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
Thank you for posting that! Obviously the VIP loophole is there.

There's not much on how home quarantine will work, though.
Not sure I would agree that's a loophole. The rich and powerful always get their way.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cryofern
In addition to the pool/steam room/sauna closures mentioned above, and the regular stuff about sanitization that I saw in many hotels:
  • within a few hours of the Wuhan couple being sent to the hospital, the elevator lobby had a new sign reading "Access to guest room floors are [[i]sic] for registered guests only." (and in Chinese too, of course)
  • buffet breakfast in the hotel bar was closed starting 2020-01-29 or 2020-01-30; the bar itself still opened at around 15:00
  • the all-day dining venue on the lobby level remained open, including for a la carte breakfast; starting 2020-01-31, a temperature check was required before seating
  • looking at the hotel from the outside in the evening, almost all of the occupied rooms were in the upper half (floors ~30+) of the building
  • after normal check-out time at noon, hotel staff in masks and surgical scrubs went through the entire floor with large rolling bins and took all of the linens in all of the rooms for disinfecting somewhere
(Incidentally, I'm still confused as to what exactly happened with the couple from Wuhan, because the letter above and the visiting Centre for Health Protection personnel gave different stories regarding whether those two from Wuhan actually stayed at the hotel as registered guests.)
I forgot to mentioned earlier that the Marriott Ocean Park does a temperature check during check-in, but that was it. Not sure how effective that is.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:19 pm

"Not sure I would agree that's a loophole. The rich and powerful always get their way."

Don't understand that remark at all. We have tax loopholes and they almost always benefit the rich. But they're no less "loopholes" because of that.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:32 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ellyse
You would think it’s an outbreak of diarrhoea instead of 2019-nCoV!
Just got back to SIN night before yesterday from PVG... enjoying my LOA at home.
(I hope mods will indulge me for a pun) We’re having a tissue paper run cos ppl here are shxtting themselves over nCoV.
tentseller and Visconti like this.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 8, 2020 at 2:44 am
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
https://chp-dashboard.geodata.gov.hk/nia/en.html

I'll be planning on watching this map to figure out where to stay in HK (avoiding all the colored dots) when I'm back.

I live in hotels full time which is usually a great lifestyle, but of course puts me in contact with a lot more travelers so I have to manage risk a bit more carefully.

A lot of hotels are also shutting down facilities like club lounges, restaurants, bars, etc.

Does anyone have any insight on the measures being taken by hotels during these troubles? I know the Hyatt Centric and Regency both shut down their club lounges.
HR TST Regency Club is still open all day, though breakfast is being served in the restaurant (Café).
In terms of disease monitoring, everyone gets a temperature check entering the hotel. And hotel staff is on a continuous sanitizing mission. The pool is closed.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
I forgot to mentioned earlier that the Marriott Ocean Park does a temperature check during check-in, but that was it. Not sure how effective that is.
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
HR TST Regency Club is still open all day, though breakfast is being served in the restaurant (Café).
In terms of disease monitoring, everyone gets a temperature check entering the hotel. And hotel staff is on a continuous sanitizing mission. The pool is closed.
Not just the hotels, HK Cricket Club was taking a forehead temperature reading. There was none at the HK club. Sat night entering the 4 Seasons IFC there was not a temperature check.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
(I hope mods will indulge me for a pun) We’re having a tissue paper run cos ppl here are shxtting themselves over nCoV.
I get the hoarding of masks & disinfectant, but toilet paper? Can't think of the right English phrase to express how perplexed I am over this, but I'll use a Canto one, "but gee saw wai..." And, if I didn't have to mind my manners, I'd throw in some color metaphors in there too.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Visconti
I get the hoarding of masks & disinfectant, but toilet paper? Can't think of the right English phrase to express how perplexed I am over this, but I'll use a Canto one, "but gee saw wai..." And, if I didn't have to mind my manners, I'd throw in some color metaphors in there too.
In the USA, whether there's a forecast of a blizzard, hurricane, bad flood, etc., many people stock up on toilet paper.
lsquare and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the USA, whether there's a forecast of a blizzard, hurricane, bad flood, etc., many people stock up on toilet paper.
What's the rationale for that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.