Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:33 am

"Unofficially: UK's bolthole for a good portion of HKSARG's principal officers' families . . . "

Indeed, one principal officer in particular.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well US just blocked the UK and Ireland.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:41 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Macau mandatory quarantining US/CA/BR/AU/NZ/EG in addition to Schengen

Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:28 am

Anyone arriving in Australia from overseas will now be subject to a 14-day home quarantine.

I've some practical concern that if spread of the virus is effectively stopped in Hong Kong, the Government may face strong pressure to adopt similar drastic steps.

Drastic measures certainly are increasing. From tomorrow Ukraine is basically closing itself off, for example.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by percysmith
Macau mandatory quarantining US/CA/BR/AU/NZ/EG in addition to Schengen

Ummm will HK quarantine Canadian arrivals for HK PRs?

Canadian HKers are planning their returns as HK looks safer than many communities in North America

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhor...irus-outbreak/
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:19 am

Except UK and Ireland

Coronavirus: Hong Kong to expand forced quarantine to cover arrivals from nearly all of Europe, source says

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ve-coronavirus

(Confirmed 21:07: Red OTA for all of Schengen, starting 00:00 Tue 17 Mar HKT)
14-day mandatory quarantine of
  • United Kingdom
  • Ireland
  • United States
  • Egypt
arrivals to HK to begin midnight Thursday https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...d-travel-alert

(mea culpa re UK BTW)
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Currently not in Hong Kong, but considering returning. Anybody know how the "compulsory home quarantine" works for HK residents? Do they lock you in your flat, do they check on you regularly, do they track your phones?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Currently not in Hong Kong, but considering returning. Anybody know how the "compulsory home quarantine" works for HK residents? Do they lock you in your flat, do they check on you regularly, do they track your phones?
A reporter (NowTV I think) made a segment on her experiences.
Being ordered into home quarantine after coming down from the Mainland, she checked into a hotel. The hotel need not be notified if just mere home quarantine (mandatory quarantine will require notification).

No tracking devices or apps.

A Government worker will Whatsapp call you once a day, require you to share location and might ask you to turn on video call briefly.
(One of the problems is - they don't call consistently Whatsapp from the same SIM card/phone. I assume Govt bought a carton of Huaweis or something and installed prepaid SIMs on them)

They might not even be very consistent about it - reporter reported she was contacted daily for first seven days but not since.
She even had to contact CHP to confirm her own release when her 14 days is up.

In the meantime she had food delivered and dropped off at the lift lobby and asked the housekeeper to leave sheets and towels at the room door.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
A reporter (NowTV I think) made a segment on her experiences.
Being ordered into home quarantine after coming down from the Mainland, she checked into a hotel. The hotel need not be notified if just mere home quarantine (mandatory quarantine will require notification).

No tracking devices or apps.

A Government worker will Whatsapp call you once a day, require you to share location and might ask you to turn on video call briefly.
(One of the problems is - they don't call consistently Whatsapp from the same SIM card/phone. I assume Govt bought a carton of Huaweis or something and installed prepaid SIMs on them)

They might not even be very consistent about it - reporter reported she was contacted daily for first seven days but not since.
She even had to contact CHP to confirm her own release when her 14 days is up.

In the meantime she had food delivered and dropped off at the lift lobby and asked the housekeeper to leave sheets and towels at the room door.
Thanks. Obviously one would assume the contact would occur randomly, otherwise it would kind of defeat the purpose of the quarantine.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Thanks. Obviously one would assume the contact would occur randomly, otherwise it would kind of defeat the purpose of the quarantine.
Yes of course. During Government office hours, I suppose.

If you miss a call the Government worker will send the Police after you. I suppose if you call him or her back sharpish after missed call, s/he'll call of the cops.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
14-day mandatory quarantine of
  • United Kingdom
  • Ireland
  • United States
  • Egypt
arrivals to HK to begin midnight Thursday https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...d-travel-alert

(mea culpa re UK BTW)
Originally Posted by tentseller
Ummm will HK quarantine Canadian arrivals for HK PRs?

Canadian HKers are planning their returns as HK looks safer than many communities in North America

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhor...irus-outbreak/
Looks like I'm effectively blocked from going back to HK anytime soon.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:07 pm

Quarantine only applies if you've been in the US etc within the past 14 days, so you can effectively serve out your quarantine in one of the dwindling number of non-restricted countries. Taking of course the risk that during those 14 days that country will be added to the restricted list.

Note that the Government is publishing the list of buildings where home-quarantined individuals are staying.

EDIT: With more countries wanting to see passport stamps showing where you've been the past 14 days, the Immigration Department ought to open a couple of counters at the airport where travellers could on request get in/out stamps in their travel documents.

Last edited by 889; Mar 15, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by 889
EDIT: With more countries wanting to see passport stamps showing where you've been the past 14 days, the Immigration Department ought to open a couple of counters at the airport where travellers could on request get in/out stamps in their travel documents.
Not that I see the HKSARG will help - the CHP's current advice is - avoid unnecessary travel. They aren't going to help facilitate travel.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:59 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Yes of course. During Government office hours, I suppose.

If you miss a call the Government worker will send the Police after you. I suppose if you call him or her back sharpish after missed call, s/he'll call of the cops.
Haha, so this means that we can still go to Peel St during quarantine since it's outside govt hours?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:03 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
So… I guess this is starting to look like I might have to give up my weekly HK/SG alternating and pick one. I imagine they might both add a "all outside travelers get quarantine" requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.