Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:46 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 889
There was a story in the SCMP earlier in the day, before the quarantine announcement, quoting sources in the shipping industry who said the border restrictions were not affecting goods shipments across the border.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...g-kongs-border

This was pre-announcement speculation.
They haven't announced how the driver exemption will be enacted, have they?

It might be how e.g. Australia are exempting crews of Chinese aircraft from entry restriction
But I guess they should be subject to curfew.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:57 am

Switch drivers at the border.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 889
Still gotta decontaminate the truck before letting it through?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by 889
1. That's not the practice right now is it?
Current practice should be only HK residents should be allowed to operate the cross border drive (PRC residents can get HK driving permit, but they can't get any exit endorsement to cross border in sufficient frequency to earn a living)

So where are all the Mainland-side drivers going to come from (in short notice)?

2. If the Mainland driver's infected, the Hong Kong driver's gonna catch it when it's his turn to drive in the cab
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:14 am

Where money and trade are involved, HK somehow always manages to maintain the flow. Cutting the flow of people across the border is tolerable. Cutting the flow of goods is not, and I have no doubt at all that arrangements will be worked out to keep that flow going.

Fret if you want, but I'm not concerned a whit.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:18 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by percysmith
It’s pretty low already (see #228)

Might spike for the next two days
Can you explain what #228 means in English?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
2. If the Mainland driver's infected, the Hong Kong driver's gonna catch it when it's his turn to drive in the cab
Is it not possible to disinfect the vehicle at the border?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:23 am

OK - last segment of evening NowTV (on the toilet paper run) - Govt states:

1. Cross-border transportation not to be affected by new home quarantine measures

2. Personnel involved in cross-border transportation not within scope of home quarantine measures
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Can you explain what #228 means in English?
https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/stat_20200204.html (change the URL for the date's figure you need)
lsquare and helvetic like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by AChekhovGun
Flying DFW -> HKG -> BKK in first week of March on AA.

Our flight has not been canceled (AA has canceled all flights to/from HKG through 2/20 is my understanding).

WIth the AA travel alert, I think I have the option to rebook through Tokyo/NRT with no change fees. Let's assume the outbreak is not any worse in Thailand or Japan, come March. My inclination is to change nothing and hope the flight doesn't get canceled.

However, if it does get canceled and it's an overreaction/lack of demand, I'm worried there won't be space left on the DFW->NRT->BKK flight.

Thoughts?
United and AA suspended all flights to Hong Kong. Does that affect flights that just stop at HKG?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti
Moreover, while our CDC recommends against wearing masks, that recommendation certainly isn't applicable for anyone around me, at least from the few who have dropped by all donning masks while staying at least 5 or 10 feet away. On the bright side, my hearing is still world class.
CDC has said masks don't stop you from inhaling viruses, but they've said you should wear a mask to protect others if you are symptomatic. So I'd look at it as just respect for other people since if you're wearing a mask, they know that if you suddenly sneeze, they don't need to worry about being surrounded by a cloud of aerosolized viruses. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professional...skguidance.htm
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
CDC has said masks don't stop you from inhaling viruses, but they've said you should wear a mask to protect others if you are symptomatic. So I'd look at it as just respect for other people since if you're wearing a mask, they know that if you suddenly sneeze, they don't need to worry about being surrounded by a cloud of aerosolized viruses. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professional...skguidance.htm
A few things: 1) I'm not symptomatic; 2) HK is not on the ban list; 3) those dropping by had already decided to wear masks completely independent of my decision to wear mine & self quarantine; and, 4) I understand the CDC's motivation on urging the general populace to remain calm, but, in my view, there's no question wearing a mask is safer.

Still, in the USA, one can do whatever he/she feels like, regardless of the herd's comfort level.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:33 am

Out of curiosity, for those of you in HK traveling to the USA, will any of you self quarantine?

I mean, according to the CDC, since you're not symptomatic, not from a banned country, and should not wear a mask. So, what am I doing in my study taking 14 days off? Shouldn't I out be partying amongst the crowd, or something?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:50 am

Just on the narrow subject of masks: they aren’t scientifically effective, I get that. If people around me expect to have one on, I put it on. If I will freak out other people by having it on, I take it off. If I am actually symptomatic I will put it on but generally keep out of sight.

Whether I will go party - if I feel I will be welcomed. I don’t want to be evil eyed when I go overseas, even if that is notionally my other home.

I remember for SARS I was asked to keep my visits to a minimum, and not see the elders. For an upcoming trip I will be bringing the elders, and we will be doing a short trip in-country (but the trip is really up in the air ATM).
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:56 am

If I will freak out other people by having it on, I take it off.
As a person who was born and has grown up in the Bay Area, I care so little about what others around here think that I wouldn't even devote a nanosecond to their feelings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.