Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway
Thank you so much for your detailed hotel and excursion reviews! Definitely considering that Lagoon Services tour now. What's it like getting in and out of the outrigger? Do they just drop a ladder over the side?
Yes, they do. We actually did Lagoon Services as well and loved it also. We did the full day tour though. HIGHLY recommend it, absolutely worth the money and then some!
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by vjfjohnson
Yes, they do. We actually did Lagoon Services as well and loved it also. We did the full day tour though. HIGHLY recommend it, absolutely worth the money and then some!
What else did you do? Do you have a menu for Conrad? TIA
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by bobcat745
What else did you do? Do you have a menu for Conrad? TIA
i don’t have a menu for Conrad, we did not book through them, we did it on our own through viator. That was the only excursion we did in Bora Bora, besides taking the shuttle to town and renting a car to drive around the island.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by vjfjohnson
i don’t have a menu for Conrad, we did not book through them, we did it on our own through viator. That was the only excursion we did in Bora Bora, besides taking the shuttle to town and renting a car to drive around the island.
if you reach out through the email they sent you welcoming you once you booked, they can send a menu over for activities
bobcat745 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by mreynolds767
Where is best place for snorkeling at the resort?
They've got some amazing coral propagation areas under Upa Upa and extending down between the beach and units 201-206 (if at Upa Upa looking straight back to the pool/beach, swimming left between the beach and the OWB's). Brings some interesting fish life to go along with it.

I snorkeled the full length of the property and the area that was perhaps better (still close and purely a judgment call) was the stretch from the "sunset view point by unit 338, working the boundary line buoys on down around the presidential owv's 1001/1002. I started by the beach villas 501/502, swam through the canal next to them, over to the sunset pier, and worked my way around all the owb's and presidential villas to end up back where I started (beach villas). The area of water enclosed by bungalows/walkways where the two streams/canals feed through has good coral and fish life. Same goes for working the buoy line off the sunset villas. The presidential villas have lots of great coral and fish life around them, but it gets pretty shallow going around the bend there. But I may have been there for low tide and maybe it's not an issue at high tide.

On the other end of the resort, I was surprised by how little there was to see in the water off the 101-107 owb's (the cut offering the view to Otemanu). I thought the flow would have nurtured more coral and brought more life, but that wasn't the case. There's generally a gentle current working from the otemanu-view end of the resort toward the presidential villa end of the resort. Nothing of any notable strength, but still enough to churn up the find sand of the beach and impair visibility to some extent. It was still decent visibility by normal snorkeling standards, but disappointing if you just came from the typically crystal clear waters within the lagoon at, say the coral gardens snorkel site.
mreynolds767 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by bobcat745
thanks for the detailed review. I’m going there in April and staying for six nights. I booked the day snorkeling trip and Jet ski tour. Are there other things you would recommend doing? Did you feel bored?
Highly doubt you will be bored. Of course it is more of a relaxing vacation location.
6 nights with 2 excursions I think works well.

I think taking the Conrad boat into town and back during daytime one day is worthwhile (given it is free) ; even if you only stay an hour it is something to do and the boat rides provide nice views and are generally enjoyable.
Would leave open the last couple full days so if you feel like you need to add a 3rd excursion once you are there and assess things you can.
I think most people could easily go through 6 nights just hanging out by the pool / snorkeling around the resort, etc... without getting bored.

Found the food options become more boring than the days itself. When I visited the Chinese restaurant was closed which I think should be re-opening fairly soon. Each of the restaurant menus are fairly limited as was room service.
Would love to have stayed longer.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:42 pm

Looking back on my visit to Conrad Bora Bora Nui last month, a few things stand out as worth sharing:

BOOKING & GETTING THERE
We booked a total of four nights with two FNCs and 240,000 Honors points. Fifth night free was, sadly, not possible for us based on our arrival and departure dates and the limited schedule to fly from Tahiti to Auckland for the next leg of our trip. Oh well!

Conrad lists an 18,000 XPF (~$164 USD) roundtrip per adult for boat transfer from the airport to resort and back, though when we asked to prepay online, we were quoted and paid 15,000 XPF apiece. Prepaid online with the Aspire card in late 2023 to use up the last $250 resort credit before the new system kicked in for 2024. Took almost three weeks for the credit to trigger, but it worked.

Shortly after booking, Conrad reached out for flight details to coordinate our arrival and departure. Bora Bora airport is amazingly simple, as is the boat transfer process. We had our bags and were on the boat within about five minutes of landing.

CHECKING IN
After the obligatory lei, we got some cold towels and a nice tea drink to begin the check-in process.

Our check-in agent explicitly asked whether we wanted to choose free continental breakfast each day or an all-purpose, 7,000 XPF daily on-property credit for food, bev, spa, etc - but that's per room, not per person. At 5,700 XPF per person for breakfast, that's the best choice by far - though our check-in agent definitely seemed to be pushing the 7,000XPF credit instead.

Based on others who have stayed here recently, not everyone is explicitly getting this choice. Ask for it if it's not offered. Silly that such a high caliber property is playing these games but Hilton gonna Hilton.

TROPICAL POOL VILLA
I asked politely via email before arrival a few times for a complimentary upgrade to an overwater villa as a Diamond (plus my wife is Gold), but no go. In hindsight, it seemed like the property was fairly full our first few nights.

Instead, we were assigned a tropical pool villa on land, in this case on the far east side of the property near the walkway up to Mount Otemanu viewpoint. On paper, it's a disappointment. In practice, this villa might be even better. It's huge, with a separate living area and even bigger outdoor space with a good-sized plunge pool. And while some overwater villas definitely have seen better days, this was in perfect condition. Only real downside is that the (near-constant) landscaping across the grounds could be a bit loud.

Amenities were mostly Byredo, except for body wash which was the standard Hilton Crabtree & Evelyn - must be a supply chain issue? Bit weird but oh well.

OVERWATER VILLA
After asking the butler service again via text and being informed that we could only be upgraded to the next category (or pay $550ish USD per night for an overwater villa), we got a text mid-day after our second night informing us they'd upgraded us to an overwater villa. Score!

Yes, it's awesome. As I touched on earlier, there was quite a bit more wear in this villa and it's noticeably smaller. But who cares when this is your view and a neighbor sting ray swims out in front of your deck.

We were assigned villa #324, a King Deluxe Overwater villa on the furthest west (and biggest) pier of villas, not far from Kardashian-land with a view of Mount Otemanu (barely) peaking above the hills.

BREAKFAST
As I mentioned earlier, we were given the choice of daily continental breakfast for two or a 7,000-XPF-per-room credit. At 5,700XPF a day per person, breakfast was the right play.

Honestly, I'm still not sure what they mean by by "continental" breakfast. We freely grabbed both cold and hot items and they never said a word or charged us another dime. My gut says it's only the a la carte items (ie omelettes, eggs benedict) that incur an add-on, but I can't say that for sure.

Regardless, breakfast was the highlight of Conrad's dining for us - especially the daily croissants and other patisserie, which is on par with the best I've had from European bakeries. Plenty of other stuff to fill up on each morning as well, great spread. But yeah, the croissants...

DAILY HAPPY HOUR
They call it Golden Hour, and it's half off select (and otherwise exorbitantly expensive) drinks from 3-4 p.m. every day at the Tarava poolside bar. There are a handful of cocktails available for 1,500 XPF (~$13.70) though those never rotated. There are also beers for a relatively modest 475 XPF, or $4.33. A bottle of Billecart Salmon champagne for 8,645 XPF (~$79) struck us as a surprising bargain, as that's not too far off liquor store costs here in the U.S.

Staff are good and very much in on the game for those bold few who do some mass ordering to save. We saw one couple order a glass of champagne to drink, then a bottle of wine with a bucket and about six beers, taking it all back with them. Respect to the shamelessness.

Rather than charging it to the room (or splitting up our checkout bill on 2-3 credit cards), we paid a few Golden Hour bar tabs separately via credit card to use up $50 quarterly credits on the Hilton Surpass. Absolutely no problem to pay that way, and the credits kicked in seamlessly.

Here's the menu, surely subject to change without notice.

UPA UPA LOUNGE BAR
Sushi spot near the welcome area. The sushi is, unsurprisingly, on the pricey side: Think $10-15 for two pieces of nigiri and ~$120 for a combo big enough (maybe) to feed two. The quality is ... fine. We ate here twice and while the sashimi seemed pretty good, the rice was always a bit off. Overall, it would be our go-to dinner spot at Conrad but it's far from top-notch - a common theme with the dining at Conrad, if you ask me.

IRIATAI
The signature French restaurant. It was ... also fine. Not great, not bad, small portions, decent flavors, but overpriced for what it is, even in this setting. This was a one and done for us, though French cuisine, admittedly, does not tickle our collective fancy so much.

They really hammer making reservations at the restaurants but that must only be a problem during peak season - most of the restaurants were empty at night during our stay.

TAMURE
Beach grill for lunch, steakhouse for dinner by night, and site of the weekly Polynesian dinner show on Friday nights. We skipped the latter two and only ate lunch here.

Their poisson cru was, surprisingly, worse than the little jars you can get during breakfast - though obviously bigger. Their pizzas are pretty good, as is the fish sandwich. All $$$ (I'll let menus upthread stand) but yeah, you're in Bora Bora.

BANYAN
Closed for renovations when we were here, looks like it's back open as of March 12 while Tamure will be closed for dinner for the foreseeable future.

SERVICE
Aside from breakfast and *gestures broadly to overwater villas overlooking crystal blue water* this was the highlight of the property. You can't walk more than, like, 20 feet without hearing a chorus of "la Orana!" from staff. Everything felt genuine and warm. There were clearly a few new people working at restaurants who were still working on their English but their care and warmth offset any little hiccups.

OTHER LITTLE THINGS
SPF30 and SPF50 is available for free at the huts near the pool and Honors member beach. Why don't more resorts do this?
The sun don't play here, so use it. I've been a decent amount of very warm places (including places where the temperature gauge goes a good 30+ degrees higher) and Bora Bora still struck me as the hottest place I've ever been overall, even in what's technically "off-season."
There's a tennis court near the far west end of the property and while I went into it thinking it would be fun, it took all of about 15 minutes in the sun to realize most human beings would die playing tennis in the heat. Never saw it being used.
Walking up to Mount Otemanu viewpoint is a must. Beautiful.
We didn't splurge on spa treatments but the setting looks *chef's kiss*
Bikes are scattered all around the place, which is quite nice to get around. But many are marked reserved for specific villas and all but a few of them are rusting out. Still nice but seems like a relatively easy fix.
Kayaking around the resort was a real highlight, so do that. Same goes for snorkeling off the deck of our overwater villa. I'm no expert but the area around our villa (324) struck me as prime territory for seeing cool stuff underwater.

LA PLAGE BORA BORA BOAT RENTAL
Do this.

Seriously, it might have been the highlight of the whole trip. The 8am free boat from Conrad to Vaitape was perfect to get to port, hop in a La Plage-marked car, and get out on the water. Four hours was great, 5-6 might have been better. No boat license so we were restricted to the 6hp Quintrex boat, which was sufficient - though if you're dead set on circumventing the whole island, you'll need some more power.

A pontoon would have been more relaxing but the Quintrex is way more agile, meaning you can tail some rays around the bay. So fun.

We booked through Viator and covered the entire cost with Capital One Venture miles. Maybe my favorite redemption ever. Serious kudos to the various FTers upthread who recommended La Plage.

Grabbed lunch at The Lucky House just down the block from La Plage's office afterward, then killed an hour or two shopping for supplies (read as: wine) in Vaitape before catching the final free boat of the day back to Conrad.

CHECKING OUT
On our last night, staff dropped off a small folio with check-out instructions based upon our flight out of BOB - nice that they take the guesswork out of it, though they definitely err too far on the "get to the tiny airport with no security or passport control early" scale. Based on our timeline, our 12:45ish departure from the villa to checkout was a bit past the posted 12 p.m. checkout.

Settled up with a Hilton Aspire Card to use the first of two $200 resort credits. The whole shebang kicked in just a day after it posted.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I haven't been to the Maldives but after this, I'm not sure that I want to. The Conrad Bora Bora Nui offers everything that I, personally, am looking for: luxury accommodations including, yes, overwater villas, white-sand beaches next to crystal blue water, some leisurely water sports - all in an easier-to-reach location. While there's not a ton to do on the main island, the fact that you can get there and back for free gives you an extra level of freedom that I, personally, appreciate a lot.

Easily one of my top three hotel stays. If the Conrad leveled up the dining a bit more and/or brought down prices (let a man dream!), it would easily be #1.
LA_FadeAway, yrtrvl and puzo15 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Thanks for the detailed review!

Originally Posted by kpottermn
Honestly, I'm still not sure what they mean by by "continental" breakfast. We freely grabbed both cold and hot items and they never said a word or charged us another dime. My gut says it's only the a la carte items (ie omelettes, eggs benedict) that incur an add-on, but I can't say that for sure.
This was the definition when Mrs. Majuki and I were there two years ago. The "continental" breakfast was anything from the buffet, and the supplement, which we opted to take, allowed one to order anything off of the menu for 1,000 XPF per person per day. I've read recent reports, however, that the staff now say that the continental is only certain stations of the buffet (in addition to the supplement now being a higher price).

I haven't been to the Maldives but after this, I'm not sure that I want to. The Conrad Bora Bora Nui offers everything that I, personally, am looking for: luxury accommodations including, yes, overwater villas, white-sand beaches next to crystal blue water, some leisurely water sports - all in an easier-to-reach location. While there's not a ton to do on the main island, the fact that you can get there and back for free gives you an extra level of freedom that I, personally, appreciate a lot.
If comparing the Conrad Maldives, the Conrad Maldives is way pricier than this resort. Furthermore, you don't have the option of going to a main island to buy things. You're stuck paying for everything at the resort. You also can't bring your own alcohol in the Maldives.

I would say that the sea life is noticeably better in the Maldives than in French Polynesia, but that's not something exclusive to the Conrad Maldives. The food and beverage operation - the largest in the Maldives I believe - at the Conrad Maldives is excellent, and there are many more specialty restaurants that one can try compared to the few options at the Conrad Bora Bora Nui.

If it weren't for the mosquitoes, Mrs. Majuki and I wouldn't hesitate to return to Bora Bora.
LA_FadeAway likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Thanks for the detailed review!

This was the definition when Mrs. Majuki and I were there two years ago. The "continental" breakfast was anything from the buffet, and the supplement, which we opted to take, allowed one to order anything off of the menu for 1,000 XPF per person per day. I've read recent reports, however, that the staff now say that the continental is only certain stations of the buffet (in addition to the supplement now being a higher price).

If comparing the Conrad Maldives, the Conrad Maldives is way pricier than this resort. Furthermore, you don't have the option of going to a main island to buy things. You're stuck paying for everything at the resort. You also can't bring your own alcohol in the Maldives.

I would say that the sea life is noticeably better in the Maldives than in French Polynesia, but that's not something exclusive to the Conrad Maldives. The food and beverage operation - the largest in the Maldives I believe - at the Conrad Maldives is excellent, and there are many more specialty restaurants that one can try compared to the few options at the Conrad Bora Bora Nui.

If it weren't for the mosquitoes, Mrs. Majuki and I wouldn't hesitate to return to Bora Bora.
We were in BB around the same time and our breakfast experience was the same: everything free except a la carte off the menu stuff.

My wife and I have been consider Conrad Maldives but man, from California travel is BRUTAL. I’m not sure I’m willing to spend 24 hours traveling to get anywhere when I have similar options (maybe Africa since it’s one of a kind).

What do you mean about not being able to bring in your own alcohol though? Like you literally can’t pack it in a checked bag? I don’t understand (and this would be a deal breaker for my wife and I - I think we brought in 4 liters of booze with us and still had to buy more on our 2 week vacation in o Moorea and BB.) 😅
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Cynapse
My wife and I have been consider Conrad Maldives but man, from California travel is BRUTAL...

What do you mean about not being able to bring in your own alcohol though? Like you literally can’t pack it in a checked bag? I don’t understand (and this would be a deal breaker for my wife and I - I think we brought in 4 liters of booze with us and still had to buy more on our 2 week vacation in o Moorea and BB.) 😅
We finally went due to a CX J fare sale back in 2018, so our routing was actually ORD-HKG; overnight; HKG-MLE; overnight; seaplane to CMRI. On the return we went straight through, but MLE has even fewer things to do than PPT.

Alcohol is officially prohibited in the Maldives. You are not allowed to BYOB, and they x-ray suitcases upon arrival. The resorts get special dispensation to serve alcohol, but the prices reflect the logistics of importing everything in addition to the resort pricing. Fortunately, Mrs. Majuki doesn't drink, so we didn't break the bank there. Unlike the Conrad BB, there's no supermarket that you can visit to get provisions throughout your stay (or stock up at Carrefour in the capital before heading to your resort). Plan. and budget accordingly!
LA_FadeAway and Cynapse like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:51 pm

Looking back on my visit to Conrad Bora Bora Nui last month, a few things stand out as worth sharing:

Great review. Very helpful. Thank you!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Majuki
I would say that the sea life is noticeably better in the Maldives than in French Polynesia, but that's not something exclusive to the Conrad Maldives.
A slightly pedantic point, but I assume you meant the Maldives vs. the inside lagoon of Bora Bora which is somewhat limited in sea life because it’s ultimately just a pile of sand. French Polynesia overall has a claim to the most extraordinary sea life in the entire world. The Maldives has some nice enough reefs and can be a good place to see whale sharks and mantas, but I’ve never heard it referred to in the same vein as French Polynesia. Go visit Fakarava, to name just one hotspot.
LA_FadeAway likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A slightly pedantic point, but I assume you meant the Maldives vs. the inside lagoon of Bora Bora which is somewhat limited in sea life because it’s ultimately just a pile of sand. French Polynesia overall has a claim to the most extraordinary sea life in the entire world. The Maldives has some nice enough reefs and can be a good place to see whale sharks and mantas, but I’ve never heard it referred to in the same vein as French Polynesia. Go visit Fakarava, to name just one hotspot.
Fakarava is well known for it's large pelagic life. The reefs 15-20 minutes from the Conrad Maldives are incredibly health and full of life. One of them is an extremely popular site that many liveaboards stop at.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:40 pm

Strange the various Breakfast games at play.
I stayed at the resort also last month and was given no option of a free continental b-fast (am diamond) / credit was the only option which as mentioned does not cover b-fast for 2.
We could order unlimited things off the ala carte menu but really never felt the need to as the buffet had everything we wanted.

Last day I ordered Eggs Benedict because each day our server keep asking me to order something from the menu ; they bizarrely really push the menu items.
Breakfast staff was wonderful though, very kind to our daughter and they remembered us each morning.

The pastries at breakfast were excellent, everything else I thought average. Definitely the worst b-fast of the 3 places we stayed in Bora Bora area.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by mreynolds767
Strange the various Breakfast games at play.
I stayed at the resort also last month and was given no option of a free continental b-fast (am diamond) / credit was the only option which as mentioned does not cover b-fast for 2.
We could order unlimited things off the ala carte menu but really never felt the need to as the buffet had everything we wanted.

Last day I ordered Eggs Benedict because each day our server keep asking me to order something from the menu ; they bizarrely really push the menu items.
Breakfast staff was wonderful though, very kind to our daughter and they remembered us each morning.

The pastries at breakfast were excellent, everything else I thought average. Definitely the worst b-fast of the 3 places we stayed in Bora Bora area.
Do you have to get the buffet? Someone else mentioned the option of only ordering from the menu and the credit being enough to cover that? I’d be fine with just ordering a menu item. We aren’t big buffet people and neither of us eat a lot first thing in the morning anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.