Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by dcht
I've been looking through the restaurant menu's and trying to decide where to eat each night. Are there any specific restaurants or even entrees that are a good value in terms of quantity? I'm fine with a $40 entree but the food in some of the pictures look very small and likely wouldn't fill me up. I guess I just don't want to budget for $40/entree and end up having to get two or three appetizers.
I've been thinking this too, I looked at a few online reviews and the portion sizes don't look huge. Even the burgers that most people here recommend seem more bread than beef. I'm veering towards the steaks, as 200g of steak for $46++ doesn't seem unreasonable, anywhere in the world. Compared to a similar price for a fish curry anyway!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Originally Posted by Rano91
I've been thinking this too, I looked at a few online reviews and the portion sizes don't look huge. Even the burgers that most people here recommend seem more bread than beef. I'm veering towards the steaks, as 200g of steak for $46++ doesn't seem unreasonable, anywhere in the world. Compared to a similar price for a fish curry anyway!
At Rangali Bar I can recommend the Steak Sandwich, it is quite huge. Good Value for money!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
124-140 and it seems a few in the high 200s going clockwise from 140.
We're heading out for our first visit here in five weeks, have a couple of questions below but wanted to share these data points first:

Dates: April 21-26, 2019
Room type: Water Villa
Booked with: Points

Upgrade options from my initial outreach:
Water Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa - additional USD142.30 per night Inclusive of Tax
Water Villa to Retreat Water Villa - additional USD285.52 per night Inclusive of Tax
Water Villa to Premier Water Villa - additional USD1189.19 per night Inclusive of Tax

In addition to the TMA seaplane, they offered a private seaplane for $5,252 per flight each way within 45 minutes of arrival. A bit out of my price range but I hadn't seen it mentioned previously.

OK, onto the questions:

I know that splitting time between two room types on a five day trip is probably a bit much, but we don't know that we'll be lucky enough to get back, so I'm planning to do at least a couple of days in a DBV.

DBV Questions: Are there any particular DBVs (sunset side, renovated preferably) where the little beach area is more private than others? Or any other DBV on that side that has some interesting quality that makes it awesome?

WV/RWV Questions: I can't swim and want to wade around in waist-deep water, but the girlfriend wants to snorkel. Is the standard WV my best bet, or are RWVs good for both of us as well? I'm hoping to avoid a strong current.

Final question: You mentioned meal plans above. What's that all about? I may take advantage of your expertise for this. Thanks so much for all you've done in this thread... you're a legend.

Last edited by Alan Pugh; Mar 13, 2019 at 9:59 am Reason: I asked a question that was already answered and realized after posting
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mb123
At Rangali Bar I can recommend the Steak Sandwich, it is quite huge. Good Value for money!
I heartilly agree - - - it's my favourite.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:11 pm

Thanks! I'd be very interested in a dining plan, we are big time foodies! Let me know what you have, thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:28 pm

Trying again... When you guys tip, do you tip in USD cash?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by alf55555
yes
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rano91
FEI, if one wants a more expensive - and considerably more filling - steak, one can get an idea from what I've had in the last few years; 400g tenderloin $106++ in 2014 & a 450g one for $130++ in 2017. Prices might be a little higher now. And they were cooked to perfection I might add! The reason I added 50g the second time round was so that my girlfriend could eat some while I still had 400g for myself. Greedy? Well, maybe. Oh, and I still had room for the chocolate fondant too. Mind you on both occasions I did forego afternoon tea on purpose to make sure it didn't go to waste. You know, clean plate and everything.

I tip in gifts. Cash is so.....boring, for want of a better word.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:30 pm

What’s the latest with the travel advisory for the Maldives? It mentions political demonstrations etc - I assume all that is contained within the capital and local islands - not the airport island etc? How long has that been going on for?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Alan Pugh
I know that splitting time between two room types on a five day trip is probably a bit much, but we don't know that we'll be lucky enough to get back, so I'm planning to do at least a couple of days in a DBV.
Yes, do split if it's unlikely you'll be back. Ask them to pack your bags for the move. They provide that service.

DBV Questions: Are there any particular DBVs (sunset side, renovated preferably) where the little beach area is more private than others? Or any other DBV on that side that has some interesting quality that makes it awesome?
The most private DBV beach areas are in the high 130s. 134 has a very long pool according to this map. The beach that's outside 135-138 is shielded from view from the dhoni jetty area on the main island because it's behind a fair bit of shrubbery that juts out in a couple of places about 50 or so metres before you get to where the beach starts to curve around to the north. There's almost no-one wandering around those parts of the beach. 139 and 140 are more around the corner and people can see that part of the beach from the walkway to Mandhoo and the RWVs so you'd want to avoid those last two.

WV/RWV Questions: I can't swim and want to wade around in waist-deep water, but the girlfriend wants to snorkel. Is the standard WV my best bet, or are RWVs good for both of us as well? I'm hoping to avoid a strong current.
Short answer: A RWV is what you want. Long answer: See my post on water depth (linked in my sig) or just click here.

We're heading out for our first visit here in five weeks, have a couple of questions below but wanted to share these data points first:

Dates: April 21-26, 2019
Room type: Water Villa
Booked with: Points

Upgrade options from my initial outreach:
Water Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa - additional USD142.30 per night Inclusive of Tax
Water Villa to Retreat Water Villa - additional USD285.52 per night Inclusive of Tax
Water Villa to Premier Water Villa - additional USD1189.19 per night Inclusive of Tax

In addition to the TMA seaplane, they offered a private seaplane for $5,252 per flight each way within 45 minutes of arrival. A bit out of my price range but I hadn't seen it mentioned previously.

Final question: You mentioned meal plans above. What's that all about? I may take advantage of your expertise for this. Thanks so much for all you've done in this thread... you're a legend.
Thanks for the data points and kind words.

Originally Posted by Jimwagner2
Thanks! I'd be very interested in a dining plan, we are big time foodies! Let me know what you have, thanks!
I'll hit the sack now and when I get up I'll get back to you guys about this.
@Jimwagner2 Sorry, forgot to ask. Can I have your exact dates so I can work out which days of the week you'll both be there. Some restaurants are closed on certain days of the week, the Beach BBQs are only held on certain days, etc. Thanks.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:12 pm
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:31 am

Just got DBV pricing upgrade from Water Villa, The upgrade supplement charge for Deluxe beach villa will be USD444.14 including taxes per night. Seems way out of line? Is there someone at the resort that you would reccomend me speaking with I am a Hilton Honors Diamond. Thank you!

Disregard that was for next week, for June upgrade is $115.

They replied very quickly!

Last edited by Jimwagner2; Mar 14, 2019 at 7:37 am Reason: update from resort
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:09 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
What’s the latest with the travel advisory for the Maldives? It mentions political demonstrations etc - I assume all that is contained within the capital and local islands - not the airport island etc? How long has that been going on for?
Basically the same thing that has been on-off for the past 10yrs. Has never impacted me in any way and when you are in Rangali it may as well be a million miles away
FYI - Airport is no longer an island, new bridge opened last year. Still it is not something I would worry about
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by soy
Basically the same thing that has been on-off for the past 10yrs. Has never impacted me in any way and when you are in Rangali it may as well be a million miles away
FYI - Airport is no longer an island, new bridge opened last year. Still it is not something I would worry about
I thought as much as I had a vague recollection of similar when we were last there but wasn’t sure if I was imagining it!! It made no difference then either.

Didn’t realise the airport is no longer an island!

By the way, is the Conrad lounge still in the same place as before? Isn’t there talk of a new lounge being built?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:07 pm

Yes, in US dollars
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:49 pm

How early would you suggest for us to reserve cocktails at the underwater restaurant? We just want to see the place and figured cocktails would be the cheapest option. We are going in May.. should we reserve now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.