Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I've never heard of it being free. Maybe manneca, tom-schmitt, goliath and other multiple repeaters can pitch in here.
But it's certainly being used of late as there are a few mentions over on the TA reviews.
It was heavily promoted during our stay in October with studio lights and a small table in the reception area and we have seen many guests using it (much more than on previous visits). I never heard anybody mention it being free, though (but I also never inquired about the details).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:48 pm

Random / Elites getting it free, perhaps? Or maybe one session of the day is offered gratis to a guest.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:39 pm
soy

Programs: various
Random / Elites getting it free, perhaps? Or maybe one session of the day is offered gratis to a guest.
Maybe elites? as the people telling me about it were also diamond. It was also on my villa TV personalized messages.

Actually I reckon it makes money to offer it free, as it seems that almost everyone who does it ends up paying for the full photo set since they are so good. Better to offer for free and sell to 6 out of the 8 slots per day, than charge fully and only get 2 bookings per day.
If anyone is there now, there is a poster over at the jet ski / kayak shack so maybe it says something on that?

Actually I notice that they now make more use of the TV messaging system, for example at checkout previously we would get a letter in the villa mailbox, but this time it was on the TV. I only realized after I went to front desk wondering why I had not got departure details on the last night.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Splotly

The SWV/DWV are no distance at all from the WV - a few hundred yards. Close enough that if the kids tell you it’s too far then they simply don’t like you! (The end DWV to the furthest WV is maybe 5 minutes, but I’d imagine, as they know you’re together, they’re highly likely find 2 that are fairly close - closest you could get might be less than 100 yards. However some of the SWV nearest the WV are close to the spa which means the view and privacy isn’t as good as the others.). If you’re going in the months that are lower prices/occupancy then there’s a very good chance they’ll simply upgrade your kids from a WV to a SWV next to you, which maybe you’ll want or prefer not.

The decks outside in the WV/DWV/SWV will seat 4 in the evening without any problem but won’t be roomy with 4. You’ll struggle to be inside the villa together though as there’s no really the seating inside for 4.

The FWV have more room for you all on the deck outside and to some extent inside too. The bathroom is in the middle of them (between the 2 bedrooms) and is effectively completely open plan with glass.

As you’ve realised from you question I think - the FWV are quite a way from the WV, enough that you’d have to make an effort to go between them.

I would say that most people find the venues on the island are where they’ll choose to spend their evenings - all 3 bars are excellent - so I suspect you might find you spend less time actually in the villa together than you may imagine.

The Sunset water villas are pricey in peak periods but can often be got for a pretty reasonable upgrade price at other times - obviously more in total than 2 x cost of other villas, but if you’re determined to spend time in the villa together then they have the facilities and would be awesome for it.
This was precisely the sort of input I was looking for. Very much appreciated. Sounds like we'll be taking our three sunsets in public places with drinks in our hands, hence not that urgent to pack everyone into a villa. Might just go with two adjacent basic water villas, as long as I can be (reasonably) assured that they aren't too grim.

Jamie
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
This was precisely the sort of input I was looking for. Very much appreciated. Sounds like we'll be taking our three sunsets in public places with drinks in our hands, hence not that urgent to pack everyone into a villa. Might just go with two adjacent basic water villas, as long as I can be (reasonably) assured that they aren't too grim.

Jamie
The “basic” water villas are actually really nice, there’s nothing basic about them at all! They are gorgeous. Request sunset side and on the end, 315 or 318 is a very good choice. I think it’s a good idea though - request 2 water villas side by side.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09

The “basic” water villas are actually really nice, there’s nothing basic about them at all! They are gorgeous. Request sunset side and on the end, 315 or 318 is a very good choice. I think it’s a good idea though - request 2 water villas side by side.
Better than the sunrise side? Just thinking we will be at the villa for sunrise, but not like sunset.

Appreciate your input - Jamie
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've never heard of it being free. Maybe manneca, tom-schmitt, goliath and other multiple repeaters can pitch in here.
But it's certainly being used of late as there are a few mentions over on the TA reviews.

FEI, the photographer's name is Ismail.
Boy, I didn't even know there was a pro photo service. I'm photo adverse (unless I'm doing the photography and then it's all underwater), so probably didn't pay attention.

Trying to decide if a return visit in on the books for 2020. I've got 1.5 million points I don't know what to do with unless I come back to the Maldives!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:38 pm

i already mention this before. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29692644-post2782.html
it can be quite detrimental to bring a tipping culture to a country that doesnt have it, as it leads to undesirable consequences

but this notion seems to be quite difficult to be accepted and understood by someone who grew up under a tipping culture, who still insist they are doing the right thing by tipping even when there is no need to. (just like how it can be difficult for some outside of US to comprehend why tipping is customary when they visit America)

a few examples of host behavior mentioned above should serve as a early warning of what can happen. not everywhere works the same way as USA
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:59 pm

Any recommendations between picking between a lunch or dinner at the Ithaa? I heard it can get a bit hot in the restaurant during lunch. Hows the food compare between lunch and dinner?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum

Jamie
I might be wrong here but I think the WV has a small plunge pool vs a hot tub in the SWV/DWV [sorry we only stayed in the DWV]
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:16 pm

Looks to be free indeed

Hmmm.....another TA review (from yesterday) mentioning the photography and saying it's free
We would also recommend partaking in the photo shoot that the resort makes available. The photographer, Ismail, was talented and had us laughing during our session; it made for memorable souvenir photos from the trip.

Originally Posted by manneca
I've got 1.5 million points I don't know what to do with unless I come back to the Maldives!
First in line if you ever decide to give them away or sell them dirt cheap.....
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by captainamerica
Any recommendations between picking between a lunch or dinner at the Ithaa? I heard it can get a bit hot in the restaurant during lunch. Hows the food compare between lunch and dinner?
We've done both. Not really that hot at lunch. Problem is that kids can and do often spoil it. Food is great both times.

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I might be wrong here but I think the WV has a small plunge pool vs a hot tub in the SWV/DWV [sorry we only stayed in the DWV]
The WV pools can be heated.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Better than the sunrise side? Just thinking we will be at the villa for sunrise, but not like sunset.

Appreciate your input - Jamie
I’ve spent a few hours in a WV (waiting for our room to be ready rather than staying overnight in one) so I can’t talk knowledgeably to them. It was on the sunrise side and what I do recall I think is that:
- it was on the side that’s between the 2 islands so probably couldn’t see the sun rise in practice (but I could be wrong there)
- it was pure sand underneath and rather sandy in the water column so made for pointless snorkelling (although could just have been a particularly poor day for visibility); the sunset side water is shallower and is ok for a snorkel (unless you’re really into snorkelling in which case it’s rubbish compared to the reefs)
- have stayed many times in SWV/DWV/PWV and noticed that the WV felt a lot newer and had some pretty cool aspects (but personally still noticeably prefer one for the other bill types).

The place to see the sunrise is really sat on the beach at 6am on the larger island. You’ll be literally alone on a chair there (save for people coming past combing the beach so it looks perfect for when everyone wakes up), and the view is uninterrupted (unless the new undersea villa has spoilt that) and quite something if the clouds are right.

All that said though - if you end up in 2 WV on the sunrise side I assume you you’ll still think you’ve landed in heaven and will love it.

Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:45 pm

First in line if you ever decide to give them away or sell them dirt cheap.....
Surely your existing 30 free days there is enough for anyone... and now you’re just being really really greedy! Don’t sell them to him, but I’m here for you if you need to get rid of them (and first in line)!!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:51 pm

New Years Eve

Been many times but this will be our first time staying over New Year’s Eve. Has anyone seen/got their Festive Planner they can share (I googled and found one from years ago but it’s obviously too old to be much use). Keen to see what the other restaurant options might be like (even though there’s the compulsory party fee that night for the buffet).

Anyone been before over new year and can offer some tips for what’s good on the evening and what to expect and not miss? Does Rangali Bar get packed and difficult to get a nice seat in the sand unless you time it right etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.