Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by StephenW
Some minor quips include not remembering that I prefer paper napkins at breakfast or forgetting my room number on the 5th day of tea time --- real minor, but things that would simply never happen at a service oriented property like Conrad Tokyo. 5-star still IMO, but things need to be buttoned up and taken up a notch (recognizing people by name and not by room number being the biggest one).
The Japanese are perfectionists. Slightly better than the Maldivians with the little things so it's no wonder.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As far as the property goes, the food is better than I anticipated (though expensive for what it is) and the service has been fairly solid. Some minor quips include not remembering that I prefer paper napkins at breakfast or forgetting my room number on the 5th day of tea time --- real minor, but things that would simply never happen at a service oriented property like Conrad Tokyo. 5-star still IMO, but things need to be buttoned up and taken up a notch (recognizing people by name and not by room number being the biggest one).

They do have a lot of guests. I would never expect any hotel breakfast/lounge staff to memorize my room number.

Also, it's standard at classy restaurants for napkins to be made from cloth. This particular resort is particularly environmentally conscious, with no plastic bottles, etc. I'm surprised they would even have paper napkins at the resort. Is there a reason why a guest would ask for paper napkins instead of cloth? I've never heard of that, I'd like to learn.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Paper over cloth - yeah, why?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Abidjan
Because you can blow your nose in it?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
This particular resort is particularly environmentally conscious, with no plastic bottles, etc. I'm surprised they would even have paper napkins at the resort.
For what it's worth, they could probably compost paper napkins.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:15 pm

recognizing people by name and not by room number being the biggest one.
Being called by name in public is not preferred by all people and cultures.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
For what it's worth, they could probably compost paper napkins.
Is that a valid reason for a guest to insist that they give him paper napkins?

"Waiter, I believe washing re-usable napkins is bad for the environment, because it uses soap and chemicals and electricity, you must take these abominable cotton napkins away from me and bring me paper napkins and then compost them"?

Or maybe the OP just didn't want the cloth napkin lint on his pants?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:16 pm

Or maybe the OP just didn't want the cloth napkin lint on his pants?
I actually buy the nose blowing excuse. But I come from a place where it isn't done at the table, so I never thought of it.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
They do have a lot of guests. I would never expect any hotel breakfast/lounge staff to memorize my room number.
200~ guests total on property right now, which is not very many. In fact, I make it even easier because I take a Mark Zuckerburg approach to my wardrobe. It's definitely a service thing. Also note that I mentioned that this was on Day 5 of my stay.

Originally Posted by monahos
Being called by name in public is not preferred by all people and cultures.
I certainly don't prefer being called by name in public. However, I would prefer the staff greet me with "<my name>, how are you today?" or "Good afternoon. Room 419?" over the standard, "Good <time of day>, What is your room number?" at every occasion.

Also, it's standard at classy restaurants for napkins to be made from cloth. This particular resort is particularly environmentally conscious, with no plastic bottles, etc. I'm surprised they would even have paper napkins at the resort. Is there a reason why a guest would ask for paper napkins instead of cloth? I've never heard of that, I'd like to learn.
Originally Posted by Abidjan
Is that a valid reason for a guest to insist that they give him paper napkins?
No issue with lint on my cargo shorts. I still use the cloth napkin to wipe my mouth, and prevent me from dropping food on my lap. Paper napkin request is due to my nose feeling very runny when eating at certain restaurants (especially at Atoll Market), most likely due to the combination of heat & humidity and spice levels + heat and humidity at other places like Ufaa. Did not expect this or I would have brought more Kleenex travel packs.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:24 pm

No issue with lint on my cargo shorts. I still use the cloth napkin to wipe my mouth, and prevent me from dropping food on my lap. Paper napkin request is due to my nose feeling very runny when eating at certain restaurants (especially at Atoll Market), most likely due to the combination of heat & humidity and spice levels + heat and humidity at other places like Ufaa. Did not expect this or I would have brought more Kleenex travel packs.
There are tissues and/or toilet paper in the room. It would seem better to just carry and use that to discreetly wipe your nose, rather than ask the staff for paper napkins for nose wiping and then leave your snotty napkins on the table after your meal, and then complain that staff didn't pre-emptively bring you paper napkins the next day in anticipation that your nose would again be runny.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
There are tissues and/or toilet paper in the room. It would seem better to just carry and use that to discreetly wipe your nose, rather than ask the staff for paper napkins for nose wiping and then leave your snotty napkins on the table after your meal, and then complain that staff didn't pre-emptively bring you paper napkins the next day in anticipation that your nose would again be runny.
I find it hilarious how some people in this thread go out of their way to be snarky and crass. I never 'complained' about the lack of paper napkins. I used it as an example to point out that from what I've seen, guest preferences don't seem to be remembered (specifically in the context of 5* service).

Tissues in the room? Emptied daily as they put 7-8 sheets at a time.

Carry around a roll of toilet paper? But then where would I make room for the two large glass water bottles I carry to all the restaurants? Leaving my dirty tissues strewn about the table for the lowly staff to pick up after me? Yeah, that's exactly what I do.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:15 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Wrong. And I'm not saying that because I love the place. Show me a 4-star property that has Michelin-standard restaurants and exceeds the Conrad in every area. I wish you luck.

Not if you read the reviews on TA.
If you think this is a 5 star property fine, but I am afraid you've never been at a true 5 star property. As I said its all relative as the Conrad charges less than half what a real 5 star charges so I agree with you in that sense. You can spend $500-600 per night WV room rate at the Conrad or $1500-2000 at the Four seasons or One and Only. To expect to receive the same standards and product for less than half the price is silly. YMMV.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:17 pm

Rangali is five star, no two ways about it. What it isn't is a luxury five-star. Everywhere in the world there are a good selection of five stars, and then there's the handful of the super-luxe properties, Usually Amans, Four Seasons and so on. As CDO says, the price differential is there too.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:40 pm

Like @passionforhotels says, to support your argument you would have been better off saying
Originally Posted by CDO
If you think this is a 5 star property fine, but I am afraid you've never been at a luxury 5 star property.
Looking forward to you introducing not one but many 4-star properties that have Michelin-standard restaurants and service that exceeds the Conrad. When, and if, that happens, people might start to take you seriously.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA

Tissues in the room? Emptied daily as they put 7-8 sheets at a time.

Carry around a roll of toilet paper? But then where would I make room for the two large glass water bottles I carry to all the restaurants? Leaving my dirty tissues strewn about the table for the lowly staff to pick up after me? Yeah, that's exactly what I do.
For your information:
They also have Kleenex / Tissue boxes in all public bathrooms ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.