Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:10 pm

I have just learned that breakfast at Atoll Market is now closing half an hour earlier at 10:30AM. No idea why they have done this and whether it's the same at Vilu or not. Thanks to Tilly71 for the info. I will add this to the wiki.

Have updated the 'Resort Information / F&B / Spa / Activities' section of the wiki and included much more specific info, from

Three islands make up Conrad Rangali; two being available for guests while the third houses staff quarters, power generators, etc. This third island, AKA 'the staff island', is off-limits to guests
Pool hours for both the Main Pool (located on Rangalifinolu (larger island)) and the Quiet Zone Pool (located on Rangali Island (smaller island)) are 9AM until 6PM daily
to

Three islands make up Conrad Rangali with two being available for guests; Rangalifinolhu (main island) and Rangali Island (smaller island), while the third island houses staff quarters, power generators, etc. This third island, AKA 'the staff island', is off-limits to guests
Breakfast can be had at either Atoll Market (on Rangalifinolhu, open 7AM til 10:30AM*) or Vilu on Rangali Island (open 7AM til 11AM). Breakfast on New Years Day is open until midday at both locations
* As of the beginning of 2018, Atoll Market now closes half an hour earlier than before. This new closing time is 10:30AM while the previous closing time was 11AM
The resort has two pools. Hours for both the Main Pool (located on Rangalifinolhu) and the Quiet Zone Pool (adults only and located on Rangali Island) are 9AM until 6PM daily

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jan 24, 2018 at 12:47 pm
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I have just learned that breakfast at Atoll Market is now closing half an hour earlier at 10:30AM. No idea why they have done this and whether it's the same at Vilu or not. Thanks to Tilly71 for the info. I will add this to the wiki.

to
Breakfast at Vilu also ends at 10.30 now,
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I think it's pretty strategic to close breakfast a little bit earlier to give guests the opportunity to digest their food and possibly room to have a late lunch a few hours later (which means spending more money)

I remember grabbing food close to 11 and then sitting there till midday most days - purely because it was so inviting/relaxing to do so. Skipped lunch as we were full anyway- and head straight to Afternoon Tea/Cocktail Hour/Happy Hour most days (if we did not have Ithaa/speciality dinner booked).
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
Breakfast at Vilu also ends at 10.30 now,
Ugh. Thanks for that though. Wiki edited.
I wonder if breakfast is still finishing at midday on New Years Day. You were there then, right Tom? Do you happen to know?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Breakfast at New Years was definitely longer, at least till 11 am.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: QF Platinum - SQ PPS - HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, ShangriLa Jade
Does anyone have a recommendation on good water shoes? Last time we were there, walking out from the OWV was rough with broken corals. thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:38 pm

I just bought Speedo. Any brand will do but without holes is best as more sand tends to get in those.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I just bought Speedo. Any brand will do but without holes is best as more sand tends to get in those.
Quote feature will spare the casual reader from a bad visual. After I looked up at the prior post it all made sense.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:13 am

The new closing times are now published in the "Curated Experiences" booklet for Vilu & Atoll Market breakfasts.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Just left the Conrad and the construction in the water on the 200 side of the DBV is pretty intense into the distance where they are building the under water villa. I never heard any noise but a giant crane not too far in the distance from shore isnt ideal to look at.

Lleaving, we flew right next to the new Waldorf-Astoria being built. I created a page for it with pictures.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Dia, United Plat
Just finished six nights; writing this from the lounge (which is now charged for Diamonds). I just submitted a more thorough review on TA, but overall very disappointed in this property.

We've been looking forward to this trip for a year, and the physical islands were everything we were hoping for. However, the resort's overall delivery was surprisingly poor. Our beach villa was in decent shape, and we were quite excited to get to the SWV for the second half of our stay (no Diamond upgrade despite extra capacity). When we got into the SWV, we couldn't believe its condition. Everything was worn down, scratched over, water stained/molded, and just plain old. After the shower ran out of hot water in five minutes, we asked to go back to the regular water villa (and our host didn't attempt to move us otherwise or address the underlying issues).

In general, our host was non-existent despite tipping him heavily at check in, and we had a tough time getting consistently decent service throughout the stay. Additionally, food was hit or miss . . with way too many misses given the price.

The good aspects were the spa, adventure snorkeling and the quiet zone pool. It's probably worth it to go on points one time given the redemption value for an over water villa, but I cannot comprehend people willing to pay cash to stay here (much less return multiple times). This property does the Conrad brand a disservice in my opinion, and we'll look elsewhere next time we visit the Maldives.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by harrisk7
Just left the Conrad and the construction in the water on the 200 side of the DBV is pretty intense into the distance where they are building the under water villa. I never heard any noise but a giant crane not too far in the distance from shore isnt ideal to look at.

Lleaving, we flew right next to the new Waldorf-Astoria being built. I created a page for it with pictures.
We are currently staying in room 203 and our stretch of beach is almost opposite the works going on out in the distance. Our first day a digger was in operation out there but not seen or heard anymore since day one. Overall low 200's IMO are in an excellent location, we have almost had the entire beach to ourselves for three days now and cant fault the location / room / food or the service here.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by bwh3m
I just submitted a more thorough review on TA, but overall very disappointed in this property.
Additionally, food was hit or miss . . with way too many misses given the price.
Is your review showing yet? Will be interested to see what issues you had, especially with F&B.

When we got into the SWV, we couldn't believe its condition. Everything was worn down, scratched over, water stained/molded, and just plain old. After the shower ran out of hot water in five minutes, we asked to go back to the regular water villa (and our host didn't attempt to move us otherwise or address the underlying issues).
That's really weird because all the woodwork was re-laquered in supposedly all the SWVs last year. Which villa was it?

In general, our host was non-existent despite tipping him heavily at check in, and we had a tough time getting consistently decent service throughout the stay.
Who was your host?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tilly71
The new closing times are now published in the "Curated Experiences" booklet for Vilu & Atoll Market breakfasts.
Cheers. Is that a book you have in your villa or did you see it on the resort's website?

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
Breakfast at New Years was definitely longer, at least till 11 am.
Thanks. I'll see if I can confirm this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:26 pm

Just finished six nights; writing this from the lounge (which is now charged for Diamonds). I just submitted a more thorough review on TA, but overall very disappointed in this property.

We've been looking forward to this trip for a year, and the physical islands were everything we were hoping for. However, the resort's overall delivery was surprisingly poor. Our beach villa was in decent shape, and we were quite excited to get to the SWV for the second half of our stay (no Diamond upgrade despite extra capacity). When we got into the SWV, we couldn't believe its condition. Everything was worn down, scratched over, water stained/molded, and just plain old. After the shower ran out of hot water in five minutes, we asked to go back to the regular water villa (and our host didn't attempt to move us otherwise or address the underlying issues).

In general, our host was non-existent despite tipping him heavily at check in, and we had a tough time getting consistently decent service throughout the stay. Additionally, food was hit or miss . . with way too many misses given the price.

The good aspects were the spa, adventure snorkeling and the quiet zone pool. It's probably worth it to go on points one time given the redemption value for an over water villa, but I cannot comprehend people willing to pay cash to stay here (much less return multiple times). This property does the Conrad brand a disservice in my opinion, and we'll look elsewhere next time we visit the Maldives.
Curious to know why you think tipping before service is given or concluded is a good idea?
(not a criticism to you - am seeking alternate viewpoint. i wouldnt even think abt doing this anywhere in the world, more so in certain places)

Esp considering many guests complain (cant remember where, probably TA) that they are rendered invisible the moment they settle the bill at check out (and prior to boarding the seaplane). That guy probably think he hit the jackpot

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.