Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
You've gotta come to mainland China (and look me up if you do). Much better than Ufaa. The reason it's much better is because it's much dirtier. Sad but true.
Yeah, we weren't that impressed with the cuisine at Ufaa. We did Koko, Ufaa, Ithaa, and Sunset Grill. Among those four, I think Sunset Grill was our favorite cuisine. Ithaa was a nice experience, and the restaurant was only half full when we dined. Ufaa provided decent value, but the food was generic. "One could do better at Panda Express!" was my wife's comment.

I think if we ever make it back this way we'll sustain ourselves for the most part on the breakfast, afternoon tea, and happy hour. I managed to gain weight from the breakfast at Atoll Market alone. However, who knows what amenities will still be complimentary by the time we return?

Overall, it has been a good first trip to the Maldives. ^
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
Yeah, we weren't that impressed with the cuisine at Ufaa. We did Koko, Ufaa, Ithaa, and Sunset Grill. Among those four, I think Sunset Grill was our favorite cuisine. Ithaa was a nice experience, and the restaurant was only half full when we dined. Ufaa provided decent value, but the food was generic. "One could do better at Panda Express!" was my wife's comment.
It's actually pretty good as far as a Chinese restaurant outside of China goes. And much better than it was when it first opened. Jereme Leung tried to be too artsy with his fusion dishes. Chinese don't like that, they like real Chinese food. After the menu changed business picked up and even my Chinese friends said it wasn't too bad.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
@Splotly... what a treat to tour underwater villla.... I probably will ask tomorrow.. why not the worst they would say no...

yes banana ride is $20 (third party operate). Other than that, everything else is free including tennis, T-shirt painting ( they will provide T-shirt) as expected, they cancel today due to weather , but Rosy told me she might asked for a make up since 6 kids signed up.... but still rely on upcoming weather...

I saw someone playing the x-blade thing... very cool. I saw another person was video taping it, not sure they were together or not.
will certainly check out tomorrow.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
@Splotly... what a treat to tour underwater villla.... I probably will ask tomorrow.. why not the worst they would say no...

yes banana ride is $20 (third party operate). Other than that, everything else is free including tennis, T-shirt painting ( they will provide T-shirt) as expected, they cancel today due to weather , but Rosy told me she might asked for a make up since 6 kids signed up.... but still rely on upcoming weather...

I saw someone playing the x-blade thing... very cool. I saw another person was video taping it, not sure they were together or not.
will certainly check out tomorrow.
sounds like loads of fun to be a kid. how much is this x-blade thing? and how long do you get to bob up and down in the water?

EDIT: oh, it is $225 + tax for 45 min http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/reso...s_Dec_2014.pdf
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Do we have anyone staying soon who may be able to get a look at a refurbed DBV please?
We've been given a comp upgrade to DBV for our stay next year (we've been a few times now!) we will have a 1 year old so not staying OW this time.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Private Pyle
Do we have anyone staying soon who may be able to get a look at a refurbed DBV please?
We've been given a comp upgrade to DBV for our stay next year (we've been a few times now!) we will have a 1 year old so not staying OW this time.
We had a look round their ‘sample’ one a couple of days ago - it wasn’t 100% finished. Anything in particular you were keen to know or just generally what it was like?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Could you do us a favour and ask if there's any discount on the compulsory 'room fee' for the Gala dinner if you stay in the dhoni. Cheers.

You've gotta come to mainland China (and look me up if you do). Much better than Ufaa. The reason it's much better is because it's much dirtier. Sad but true.
I loving the thought of you trying to get out of that one - I think there’s a real chance they might tie you to a stake in the middle of the gala dinner and force feed you loud music all night!

We went back to Ufaa again last night - and again enjoyed being it. Full of Chinese people (which was unusual as there a so many fewer here this year) - hadn’t read your post at that point, but we were there after everyone had gone and ironically I asked them whether the Chinese liked their food (I’ve never had real Chinese food myself and I assumed this was somewhat westernised, although still very different to what available at home). They were pretty candid and said they’d had lots of complaints (all the time) until they changed the chef - apparently to a Sichen(?) one - and since then the feedback has noticeable improved from the Chinese. I’d love to have the real stuff if it’s better than this...!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki

I think if we ever make it back this way we'll sustain ourselves for the most part on the breakfast, afternoon tea, and happy hour. I managed to gain weight from the breakfast at Atoll Market alone. However, who knows what amenities will still be complimentary by the time we return?

Overall, it has been a good first trip to the Maldives. ^
I’m intrigued to get my hands on some real Chinese food now. I consider myself somewhat of a foodie and sadly a bit snobby about it (e.g. have got on flights with the wife simply to eat at a couple of restaurants around Europe!). Panda Express sounds like it might be a bit far for me though! Sounds like you 2 know you’re stuff on this, so I might see if we can find a way to get here next year with a detour through China - there’s no direct flights anyway from the U.K. at this time of year - and never been there (except for Hong Kong)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
sounds like loads of fun to be a kid. how much is this x-blade thing? and how long do you get to bob up and down in the water?

EDIT: oh, it is $225 + tax for 45 min http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/reso...s_Dec_2014.pdf
45 mins will be plenty - my legs are killing me after 30 on it (but I am old!)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Splotly
I’d love to have the real stuff if it’s better than this...!
The quality and taste were good, but the meal was overpriced compared to the ambiance even considering the location and relative prices of everything else here at the resort. (It was still our cheapest dinner of the four though!) When you can get a meal at an international fast food franchise that approximates the taste of a meal at Ufaa, it's not exactly an impressive experience. Perhaps our perceptions have been skewed by where we live and having spent too much time wandering around the night markets in Taiwan.

I thought it was something where I could just stand there and let the device do all of the work, but it's more like using a stair climber at the gym. You have to pump your legs to move, sort of like pedaling a bicycle but with more of a vertical motion.

Now it's time to get ready and head over for our last breakfast at Atoll Market. Hopefully there isn't as much of a wait as there was yesterday. They kept the buffet open until almost 11 because people waited to be seated inside due to the rain.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:17 pm

We had a look round their ‘sample’ one a couple of days ago - it wasn’t 100% finished. Anything in particular you were keen to know or just generally what it was like?
Are the bathroom sinks in the new DBV enclosed in air conditioning?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Brazilnut
Are the bathroom sinks in the new DBV enclosed in air conditioning?
I’m not 100% sure, but they’ve now got an inside shower (as well as the old outside one) opposite the sinks, along with the toilet now moved to that area too. There was a glass door at the end now - I.e. before it leads to where the outside shower has always been - so I’m thinking yes that’s probably within the a/c now if that door is closed.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)

Thank you.
I was just looking for a general impression, pics would be a bonus too but not a priority.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:35 pm

How about the ABS? 😳

From video clips it looks like you would work them pretty hard to stay upright?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:37 am

I have read what seems like hundred of posts, but still unable to find the info that I'm looking for (sorry if I have missed it). My partner and I plan on spending 5 nights at the resort and have a couple of questions:
1. Using 95k points, I noticed that I can't book a OV anymore and that a SWV or DWV are the only ones (the cost is 95k for BV vs 345k for SWV)
2. I'm reading a lot about the 4th or 5th night free, but I can't seem to get it work for November - what am I missing?
3. We are arriving in Male at 20:50pm, so I assume there is no point trying to rush to the resort (via plane then water) so we should wait for the next day to get the seaplane there - is that right?
4. We are looking at going either Nov-18 or Jan-19. I am leaning toward Jan, but if I can get an extra night free for Nov then that might push me over the edge.

Thanks in advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.