Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica {ISL}

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Hilton Reykjavik Nordica Trip Reports and Reviews

Preface: Got a good fare on Icelandair into KEF. Don't even think about it. If you can get someone else to bring you into here at season time do it. FI is marginal.

Rate: A little over 10,000 ISK. The rate changes lots so monitor.

Transportation: There is a good thread going in the European airlines threads. Take the flybus from KEF. I booked us online rt and saved some ISK. Like 2300 rt. The bus will stop at Hilton. Just stay on at transfer station.

Parking: not used

Check-in: The agent was very friendly. Given a room on Executive Floor and one on 7 with view of water. Get the water view. Nothing available on Executive Floor at check-in with water view so I was told. I had a problem with elevator noise and they found another room on Executive Floor with full water view. Beautiful. Gotta get the view.

Perks: Lounge access. And appreciated early check-in.

Lounge: A decent size comfortable. Morning spread nice with hot items. Evening a little light.

Room: New. Enter onto hardwood floors. To right is closet, mini bar set-up followed by bathroom. A kind king bed. Knock out view with full windows. Two comfy low chairs to watch tv followed by desk. In the middle. Swivel tv with cd player. Content on tv- nothing. Boring. Bring your own dvds.

Bathroom: Nothing exciting with Source amenities. Does have a full tub. Single basin sink.

Internet: 1700 ISK. Wired in room and wireless. Drops you off. Very annoying. Also. Make sure to write-down the full user name and password they assign you. You need it everytime and then some when they drop you. Also. Can not be charged to room. Visa or MC only. Decent speed.

Gym: Charged 2500 ISK unless on Executive Floor.

Spa: Looks nice. Concerned about prices.

Eating venue: VOX is supposed to be great. May try this evening.

Local markets: Not much around. Some eating places.

Local area: Not much.

Negatives: Staff seems helpful. The room thing and internet lost work bothers me.

Closing: Very pleased with price and room I finally got. The views from room- breathless.
Old May 3, 2008, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Cool -- I never knew there was a Hilton in Reykjavik. There wasn't one when I was last in the city a couple of years ago. How old is the hotel? Did it used to be a different hotel?
Old May 3, 2008, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
But in keeping with what I've been told is a nationwide policy, idea, thing, etc in Iceland - no bell staff, right? Been told that porterage is very hard to come by, if not nonexistent.
Old May 4, 2008, 4:12 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The Hotel used to be part of the Icelandair family. It got a major renovation and is now a Hilton. My friend has a very small room. I mean small. I did not believe his complaining until I just saw it. Yikes.

I did see a female porter but there is non looking in the lobby. I assume she was a porter since she was pushing a cart. Maybe it was just a guest.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:36 am

Reykjavik Nordica

Has any BM stayed at this hotel since it became a Hilton? If so, can you give a brief review. How do they treat Diamonds? Do they have a lounge? Would appreciate anyone sharing info. Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
I stayed there in July. The property was nice and there is a lounge...top floor, looks towards the north (?) to the water. The property is a couple of miles from the city center; the hotel runs a shuttle several times a day to/from the city center, and there's a bus stop across the street.

I had lounge access, though I don't think my room was an upgraded room. Be sure to ask for a view of the water.

The only problem I had was my last day there...the shuttle didn't have a sign indicating it was the shuttle. The hotel provided a cab for myself and another couple to get to the city center, though that was in part due to the husband complaining a bit.

Aside from the location it's nice property and I would stay there again...especially given the value of the Icelandic Krona to the dollar. Seems like Diamonds may've had complimentary spa treatments. Also keep in mind that after 4 years I probably don't truly know how to maximize my value as a Diamond VIP, so I'm sure I missed out on something.

If you're there on a Saturday go to the flea market just off the water and try hakarl.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:25 am

There are already several threads on this property. See the following for a recent review:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-5-2008-a.html
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:52 pm

Hilton Iceland

There's only 1 Hilton in Iceland--the Nordica. I thought hilton had a policy where if a room was avilable one could get it. But trying on the web I could not get any avilability for 26 Jun in Iceland--although I can easily book it if I pay for it. Also, when I saw the availability--as soon as I tried to book it it became Not Available. Is there any way around this?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Not sure what you are asking?

They have paid rooms but not award rooms which does sometimes happen. Are you a diamond?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by squeakr
They have paid rooms but not award rooms which does sometimes happen. Are you a diamond?
No. I am a lowly gold. I thought if standard rooms were available I could get a room. Maybe I am reading it wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac777
No. I am a lowly gold. I thought if standard rooms were available I could get a room. Maybe I am reading it wrong.
No, you're right. That's the way it's supposed to work. Call HHonors.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
I don't see any standard room available on the 26 june? There are only executive rooms left. The standard room for hilton redemptions seems to book into "queen/twin hilton room".
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Q re Hilton Keykjavik

I am currently considering booking the Hilton Keykjavik and was wondering if someone could advise me on whether or not it is worth booking an Executive Room - from the web site I see the rom is 6 sq m larger and of course you have lounge access.

So my real question is how good is the lounge - particularly in the evening - do they offer free drinks and snacks and for what hours? What is the selection like. How is the ambience / service in the lounge. Do they offer free WiFi in the lounge?

The difference is about $50 pn comparing a basic rom with breakfast vs an executive room without breakfast (as you can get a free breakfast in the lounge).

Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:33 pm

There must be some-one on this board who has stayed in this hotel in the last 6-12 months. I've booked a reward stay there for the fall so I'm interested in a recent review and/or advice on how to get maximum value during a stay.

How do they treat Diamonds? How is breakfast in the lounge? What are the evening snacks and drinks like in the lounge? Do Diamonds get free access to the spa?

I'd love to see a review from some-one who's been there recently.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:23 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I stayed there on Honeymoon a couple of years ago, just after the change to Hilton.

The lounge was good from what I remember. I don't think there was that much by way of food but a good selection of drinks and great service: On finding out that we have a dairy allergy the club attendent disappeared and came back maybe ten minutes later with dark chocolate dipped strawberries and dairy free cakes.

I think we got free access to the spa once in the week we were there as Gold members. The spa is nice with an outdoor hot tub and massages in the indoor jacuzzis. The Blue Lagoon is a must - the private VIP lounge is well worth the extra cash and the massages in the pool are divine. There is also a great spa in the park near the Hilton (Lagurdolar or something like that) with one of the largest gyms I have ever seen.

The hotel is not far from town. We walked whenever we wanted to go in and I would guess it took 20-30 minutes.

We found Iceland very friendly - our flight was delayed 10 hours due to bad weather at Keflavik (planes literally tied down due to strong winds) and were worried about getting the car we had hired as the hire shop closed at midnight. In the end we arrived at I think 4am and the woman at Hertz had stayed late. I would strongly recommend getting a car to do all the sight seeing. Pingvillir, Geysir and Gullfoss are absolute musts if you have never been to Iceland, although it gets rather cold outside Reykjavik (we were there in mid-winter).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.