Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree Southampton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree Southampton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC Elite, Flying Blue Gold
Arrow Doubletree Southampton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

I couldn't find much about the Hilton Southampton posted on FT so I thought I'd provide some input!

The location is just off the M3/A27 motorway, though you have to double back on the roundabout to get to it. The location isn't that great for Southampton itself as it's about 5 miles into town. Car parking at the hotel is 3 per night.

The hotel is on the rim of a punchbowl with the motorway around the rim, so the tip is to get a room on a lower floor. There are 5 floors in total. Mr GoodTimes and I always ask for a quiet room, but they initially gave us a room on the 4th floor right at the end, next to the motorway! We eventually got a room on the 2nd floor which was much quieter. Wine, water and chocs were provided on both nights of our paid stay

The reception is on the 3rd floor, btw. The gym/pool was on the 2nd floor. The gym was quite good despite being cramped with too much cardiovascular equipment. The restaurant was on the 3rd floor, which turned out to be very pleasant.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, SPG Plat, HGVC, AsiaMiles
Thanks for the report. We will be staying before a cruise next year.

Did they recognise your Diamond status in any way? Executive lounge? Free breakfast?

Thanks for the tip about quieter rooms too.....do not need to be next to a motorway!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:51 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
Was there any sort of public transport available between the hotel and town? I'm a bit wary of driving on the other side of the road.

T
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:07 am

The restaurant is surprisingly good in this hotel ... esp. the steaks.

Given its location right next to the motorway and the general atmosphere this is definetely a business hotel - there should be tons of places better suited to leisure travellers in the same region (either nearer to town or a bit further outside)
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:23 am

I was there this month - it is in a nice location, close to the main routes so easy to get to. My room was nice and quiet, and was down one level from reception (level 2 I think)

There is no lounge.

I didn't get anything for being gold - no breakfast etc., but did get a tiny bottle of red wine and some water and a couple of chocalates.

It is ideal if visiting the Rose Bowl, home of Hampshire County Cricket Club, which is 10 minutes on fairly quiet back roads. Had breakfast in the local Sainsbury's - cheaper than the £17 they wanted for breakfast.

Didn't visit the swimming pool or gym so cannot comment on that.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:27 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
My bet would be that this is one that'll be rebranded as a Doubletree (4 star) hotel. I stayed there as a Diamond, but on a deal that included dinner on the first night and breakfast, so I can't comment as to whether I'd have been given comp breakfast. The restaurant was good as I remember. As has been mentioned, there's no lounge, hence the Doubletree rating.

Gym small and busy, again as mentioned.

Getting around requires a car.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:02 pm

I've stayed in it twice prior to boarding Cunard to cross the Atlantic. Its a pleasant hotel and the restaurant is good. I'm sure I didn't pay for breakfast so perhaps that was a Diamond benefit. I think I received an in room amenity as a Diamond, some water and fruit. There was no lounge. Its easy to get a taxi to go to the ship terminal or go into town but have the hotel call the cab 15 minutes before you need it.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Thumbs up Hilton Southampton trip report

Nice place. Upon arrival there, the check-in computer played 'Happy Birthday' to me (it was my birthday!!) Never had that before.

Access to it is a littly tricky: take the M3 (S), then the A33, up to the roundabout, then follow the hotel signs. Its setting, amongst lots of thick trees, belies its proximity to the main roads. Rail travellers would do well to alight at the nearby Southampton Airport station, which is just a 10 minute taxi ride away. The main Central station is a good 5 miles away travelling through the city. 3 parking fee, to deter would-be free airport parkers, apparently.

Nice room. Upgraded rooms, as I have found in my previous three visits, are the same size as standards and you only get a small bottle of horrible wine and a bathrobe extra. Certainly not worth paying 20 more, if you're thinking of paying to upgrade, if you're blue/silver. You can hear the traffic if you open the room window, but we didn't find it intrusive.

No Exec Lounge, but the guest lounge area is spacious and comfortable. That leads to the bar area, which is all panelled up in light oak and has a 'club' atmosphere which we liked.

The food has always been good and last night was no exception. Drink prices were reasonable too and breakfast was fine.

My only adverse comment would be that the bed mattress was very hard.

This is one of the best regional Hiltons in the UK IMO. Standards are consistently high and I'd stay here again. Recommended.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:50 am

I was there again last night and standards remain very high since my last visit, a year ago. I had an upgraded corner room - quite large - with all the trimmings. Dinner was excellent, as was breakfast. The staff were all v. friendly and the place was immaculate. I like it!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
When I stayed there we bumped in Nwankwo Kanu who was just coming in to the hotel as we were leaving ... for those that don't know him he plays for Portsmouth FC.

Now you might think that it's odd that a Pompey player would be staying at a Southampton hotel ... there's a fierce rivalry between Southampton and Portsmouth football clubs ... but Portsmouth's training ground is close to the Southampton Hilton!!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:05 am

ps

ps I was advised that this hotel will be installing air conditioning into the whole premises, after the summer, which might cause disruption.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Review and Pictures of Southampton Hilton

Stayed here quite a bit lately so thought I would post some pics and write a (rather large) review for others considering staying here.

Getting there:

A bit tricky if you don't know where you are going and especially at any rush hour times as the traffic can be busy, fast moving and very little courtesy shown to other drivers. In general this site is very convenient to the M3 but also for most New Forest or Southampton visitors. Yes, it is outside of town but it is in a good area of Southampton and is generally quiet. Parking is free now if you are a guest and the barriers to the property are not even fitted (assume they are getting some work done). It can be very busy and hard to find parking here at times but generally quite a few spaces. It is close to the airport so quite a few people must use the park and stay feature. I have seen cars parked on the grass, all around the property on double yellow areas, even outside the barrier area in front of the hotel when it was really busy. A tip may be that there is a far amount of parking behind the property and also to the left before the property (where I assume the staff park). If you are staying for several nights and the barrier does get replaced then ask for the ticket to be validated and it will allow you unlimited entry and exit until your check out date saving several tickets and problems.

A side note that this is a good location to run/jog from as there are quiet a few quiet and green side streets nearby with sidewalks. Not too much in the way of restaurants to walk to though nearby. A petrol station is a 100m away on the roundabout with a small shop if you are so inclined.

Entrance:

The entrance area is spacious and nice with a fish tank centerpiece. A small Costas coffee kiosk is usually manned by hotel staff and has some small snacks as well across from the reception area. further ahead is the lounge area and bar. This is quite a large area spread over 3 areas with partial dividing walls. The restaurant is further still straight ahead. To the right as you enter the hotel are a business centre and meeting rooms. I haven't used either so can't comment on them. The reception area is quite small and has no dedicated hhonors check in area, there is usually only one staff member there anyway.

Reception:

Even though I have stayed about 4 weeks out of the last 5 here, the staff still ask me every Monday if I have stayed before and go through the whole dog and pony show which is amusing but tiresome. I do enjoy when they ask if I have stayed with them before'yes, all of Sept as a matter of fact'honestly, doesn't the computer system tell the staff such details? (sorry, rant over).

As a diamond I have always been greeted correctly with the welcome back bit and given the internet code which is valid for the whole calendar month as well as a coupon for the bar (no exec lounge). If you are a couple staying then you get two coupons, singles get one.

I have always been upgraded to a 'better' room here which I think only means that I am getting some slippers and a bathrobe in reality but nevertheless they do pay attention to upgrading and also to preferences in your profile (I like to be away from noise and elevators for example).

The rooms:

Bed Southampton by BA_pics, on Flickr

The better rooms appear to be those that are marked with 'plaza' room brass plates on the doors but I could be wrong. In each room I have had two bottles of water (one still and one sparkling) with a pack of crisps and a welcome letter.

diamond reception and ethernet by BA_pics, on Flickr

There is no wireless in the rooms, only wired internet and a very short Ethernet cable (1.5 m long) so if you like to have the freedom to surf from the bed then I suggest bringing a long cable with you! The speeds are slow and I wouldn't recommend trying to stream music or TVit is bad enough just surfing in my opinion but it works. Not sure if you get better service if you pay or not.

I have only stayed on the 4th floor so far and found this fine personally for noise. Floor 3 is the main floor and I think you would hear quite a bit of foot traffic in the halls if you were on this floor. below or above is fine and there are stairs as well as two elevators. I could keep the window open (on tilt) if I was facing the greeneryif you face the motorway or parking lot then you will likely need to close it for noise reasons). There is still NO air conditioning. The climate controls consist of a radiator regulator or a fan in the wardrobe. I like it warm but if you are a cold-blooded beast then you may suffer in summer.

wardrobe by BA_pics, on Flickr

The rooms are a decent size for a European hotel and there is space to put bags and such as you can see from the pictures. The room looks darker than it is in reality but that is just the poor lighting from my smartphone, apologies.

Plaza Room 4th floor Hilton Southampton by BA_pics, on Flickr

Entrance area by BA_pics, on Flickr

Nearly all of the TV's in the various rooms i have had worked fine but the remotes are almost all brokentape on the battery area and the buttons don't workreally frustrating. There is no coffee machine, instead you get an electric kettle and some instant powder and tea bags with the necessary sugar and cream bits. (To be fair there is the costa coffee shop in the hotel lobby so this is in their interest).

desk and TV by BA_pics, on Flickr

kettle by BA_pics, on Flickr

I found the rooms clean and tidy and can definitely say they are fine to stay in. There are a few niggles that bothered me which were the same in every room

-The toilet roll holder is poorly made and nearly everyone would fall apart when trying to pull the toilet paper so that you are left with the end in your hand and the roll on the floorI simply give up and take the roll of the mount but this may really bother more dignified people!

shower bath by BA_pics, on Flickr

-The showers leak badly and I think this must be a design faultYou need to place a face cloth or hand towel on the edge area near the taps to soak up the standing water or it will leak onto the floor and pool there, It is not going to flood the rooms but it is a big pain in the

bathroom by BA_pics, on Flickr

-some toilets don't flush very well and you need to try a few times to get the water to comenot sure why this is but out of 5 rooms, only one worked without fail on the first flush every time.

Food/ Restaurants

The bar staff were always very friendly and busy helping customers, there is generally a good choice of food to eat in the lounge and bar areas and the service is quick and friendly. They seem to have two specials a week for 13.95 (one pasta and one curry including a drink, one Mondays and one Thursdays IIRC). The restaurant staff (for breakfast as I didn't eat in the restaurant itself at night) were very good at remembering faces and greeting people and always had a good word to say. The breakfast buffet is very good and you can get a really good full English breakfast here or whatever you wish as there is a good fruit salad area, cold cut meats and cheese, cereals, juices, breads and sweets. Breakfast was always free for me as a diamond and this was true value here as the breakfast is fantastic.

Other:

I did not use the gym, pool or other features so can't say how they were or look like sorry.

To sum up:

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others. The place is clean, the staff generally very good and caring and the food and services also wide ranging and good. Compared to Bristol or Newport (where you couldn't pay me to stay again) this is a true bargainit is a bit dated and does not have the flash of bigger and nicer Hiltons but for the money this is great. I typically paid around 65 to 89 / night without any special rates (advance payment). ^

Hope this is of use and interest to others trying to decide where to stay in the area.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:05 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
just to post an update on some recent changes:

-barriers are back to get in and out of the hotel car park, however, as a guest they will happily validate the card and you can use this to get in and out during your stay.

-As of Nov.1/11 they have updated the hotel so that wi-fi is available in the rooms, but be aware that cabled internet no longer works (even though there is a connection device and an ethernet cable in each room still). Speeds have improved greatly and are now very good, you can stream video without too much hassle. ^

-Some rooms seem to have a combined hot cold tap setup on the sink and new counter tops in black marble instead of separate taps and beige marble as my pic shows above. I have not been in enough rooms lately to see if this is a hotel wide update or simply some rooms in the one wing have it. The tubs don't seem to leak water either in these updated rooms. The toilet paper roll also seems to stay put and work well...

-Rooms in 4th and 5th Floor at low numbers (40x and 50x for example) are better than rooms near the elevator or at the other end for the bathroom issues so my advice would be to try to get the low number rooms. (they are noisier if the window is open though so beware if traffic noise is a problem for you and you need to have the window open). Tv remotes are working well in these rooms as well and do not have damaged battery covers.

-they seem to have specials for food in the lounge at different days now so maybe this changes with time. Have seen specials available on Mondays and Tuesdays now...(don't tend to stay at the end of the week so can't comment if it is available all week now).

-safes seem to be available in some rooms in the wardrobe so best to check and ask if this is important for you. Again the low number 4 and 5 floor rooms seem to have these in the rooms I have stayed in.

Hope this helps for any upcoming stays people are planning.

Last edited by BotB; Nov 1, 2011 at 6:12 pm Reason: forgot to mention some items
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Had a nice stay here last week. Didn't get a suite upgrade, but a nice corner deluxe room, I like these rooms and I asked for one in advance which they kindly supplied.

Welcome amenity of posh crisps, two waters, drinks voucher with bathrobes etc in room.

Overall pleased with stay, no problems, excellent omelette for breakfast!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Skimanant
Had a nice stay here last week. Didn't get a suite upgrade, but a nice corner deluxe room, I like these rooms and I asked for one in advance which they kindly supplied.

Welcome amenity of posh crisps, two waters, drinks voucher with bathrobes etc in room.

Overall pleased with stay, no problems, excellent omelette for breakfast!
I went there for a late lunch earlier today with some friends, bill came to around 100 for 5 people and they also kindly validated 2 parking tickets which would have come to 10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.