Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree Southampton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree Southampton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by gnarly
FYI, they seem to be refurbishing some of the public areas.
New carpets were going down yesterday, and trucks were delivering large boxes (new furniture?) today. Access to the restaurant and bar has been restricted, with breakfast etc now taking place in the lounge and a table service being offered for the bar.

Expect some disruption over the next day or two, but nothing drastic.
Thought I would update the thread with a picture of the new carpet and chairs they have put in here around the lobby bar and entrance areas. The carpet has also been put in the restaurant area which was needed due to some bigger stains around the drinks area at breakfast time.

The place was heaving so only managed to get this one chair and some of the carpet to show the new style and colours...not my first choice but still new and clean ^

Parking is still a nightmare and still costs 3 / night which I find poor given the overcrowding issue.

Staff are generally still great here. Not much change otherwise in the rooms.

Southampton Hilton reception refurb by BA_pics, on Flickr
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
Originally Posted by cjd
Not sure if this new Hilton is to replace existing Southampton Hilton or will be in addition to the existing hotel.

http://www.hiltonhotelsouthampton.co.uk

New Hilton supposedly opening 2014. 175 bedrooms and executive lounge. Hotel overlooks the Ageas Bowl Hampshire Cricket ground. Should be a massive improvement from the existing Hilton Southampton.
I stayed at the Southampton Hilton this week (I'm often there, it's near the main UK Lab of the company I work for). When I booked using our travel-agent's online tool, I was very confused to be offered "the Ageas Bowl Hilton" in Southampton! The address and location map were for the existing hotel, and the reservation on hilton.com showed the existing hotel, so I turned up as usual, but I was very surprised -- as was the lady on reception when I showed her my confirmation email :-)

The new hotel is now apparently due to open in 2015, but the plans are for both to stay open as I understand it.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Originally Posted by BotB
Parking is still a nightmare and still costs 3 / night which I find poor given the overcrowding issue.

Staff are generally still great here. Not much change otherwise in the rooms.
I haven't had parking problems in recent months. I guess it is largely dependent on the Cruise Ships amongst other factors.

I would agree about the staff. On the whole they are pretty good. They will often tell me when the barrier is up and there is no need to pay for parking.

I think the property is very good value. Strangely I tend to get significantly cheaper rates if I book on the day rather than in advance. In both cases I am using the Public Sector workers rate (from my NHS job).
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:00 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

A quick update that the hotel is renovating a section of the hotel on the 3rd floor. Not sure if this will mean better rooms or a new lounge...however, it doesn't add any noise that I am aware of so for most people will be invisible.

You can't walk up or down the stairs to the different floors now though due to the renovation area being blocked off, so only elevators for a while.

If they have renovated the rooms the ones to get are going to be 324 and higher on 3rd floor. I'll update once I know more or the refurbishment is finished.

Parking does seem to be free now for diamonds but that is still a bit hit and miss so worth asking about it if you see the 3 show up on your bill.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Question. SO, if the barrier is up, should parking be free? After all it isn't secure if it is?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:13 am

Quick update that the renovations seem to be done now, which appear to have only been some painting of the hallways.

I am still very much hit and miss regarding parking fees as a diamond.

Barrier is indeed up some or most of the time lately...haven't been charged for parking for a while but expect that to change when the cruise ship business starts to pick up again in May (as the parking lot will be full).

Worth asking if you are staying as a Gold or Diamond if parking is free or not...seems some are aware that it should be and some are not! (still won't guarantee you free parking but worth a shot).
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:39 am

As of 1st October the parking fee will be 5 (used to be 3)

There is a note at the top of any booking stage for the hotel indicating this as well.

I really must get some written note from the manager here that Gold/Diamonds do not have to pay the fee with this increase (I do still find it pops up occasionally during check out here)...the parking lot is always full to bursting!

oh well, the other Southampton Hilton will be along in Spring 2015 and the Hilton Bournemouth in Jan 2016 to finally give some alternatives to this hotel and hopefully make them do some proper room renovations now that they have completed the bar and restaurant areas.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Where is the Hilton Bournemouth? Is this a new build or a rebrand? The old Hilton Bournemouth was poor.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Where is the Hilton Bournemouth? Is this a new build or a rebrand? The old Hilton Bournemouth was poor.
I don't know Bournemouth very well but here is the link to the Hilton page for the hotel:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/uni...MHI/index.html

And the address is shown as:

TERRACE ROAD, BOURNEMOUTH, BH2 5AQ, UNITED KINGDOM

From the directions and map page:

From Southampton: Follow M27, A31 and A338 to B3066 in Bournemouth. Head northeast on M27 toward Exit 2. At junction 2, take the A326/A36 exit to Salisbury. At the roundabout, take the 4th exit onto the M27 ramp to Bournemouth. Merge onto M27. Continue onto A31. Take the A338 ramp to Bournemouth. Turn left onto A338 through 1 roundabout. At Bournemouth West Roundabout, take the 1st exit onto B3066. Continue to follow B3066. Turn left onto Tregonwell Rd. Go through 1 roundabout. Destination will be on the right.

Not sure if this is the same location as the old Hilton was at or a new location?

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:15 pm

Well, just had an anniversary stay here and it was celebrated in true style...

No mention at all, no difference in terms of benefits (no wine or food for example), just the same room type and 2 bottles of water with a jar of nuts.

Appreciate that many on here stay much more often than I do at some properties but after 100 nights (total, granted over 3 years) here I would hope at least the front desk manager would say a few words as he checked me in...nada.

Ah, well, it was celebrated with me being told definitively that parking is NOT free for diamonds and the 5 would be added to my bill from this point on, every time.

Was pretty frustrated as the place was heaving with the cruise ship crowd and not a single space was available to park with several cars already on double yellows partially blocking the properly parked cars, all of the disabled bays taken and even some cars parked up on the grass where possible...I ended up parking on a corner on double yellows and was going to be charged 5 to do so after giving them 100 nights business!

After some exasperated mumbling about ridiculous that charged to park illegally on double yellow lines, FDM finally agreed to remove it this time...in two weeks I'll look forward to another confrontation...

Can't wait for the other Southampton Hilton and later the Bournemouth Hilton to be options...want to give the chain my custom (and get benefits and points for it) but my goodness they are not making it easy on me this year!

46% of my roughly 130 nights this year will go to Hilton as a chain, 21% to Accor which is up on last year. and 24% to private accommodation in the New Forest...wonder if those should increase again next year @:-)

Sorry, rant over! Feeling much better though
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHH (Diamond), Le Club (Platinum), Hertz (Gold), Priority Club,
I used to be a regular guest at the Southampton Hilton. However, as a Diamond member, I object to paying to park my car in a crowded car park. I now stay at the Winchester Holiday Inn, five minutes from Junction 9/10 of the M3, where the parking is free.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Airclues
I used to be a regular guest at the Southampton Hilton. However, as a Diamond member, I object to paying to park my car in a crowded car park. I now stay at the Winchester Holiday Inn, five minutes from Junction 9/10 of the M3, where the parking is free.
Thanks for mentioning this alternative, I have stayed at the HI Winchester a few times but unfortunately the prices always seem to be 109 or more (when I look) for a base room. (not including breakfast, which as a Plat Amb was never free ) The rooms are better by far than the Hilton Southampton though and as you say, free parking and more of it. Also convenient from the motorway...if it would just be 20 to 30 cheaper with breakfast I would likely stay here more.

Haven't stayed with IHG this year at all after the devaluation last year personally, have given all those Southampton stays to Accor/Private accom. instead.

Again, thanks for mentioning it, maybe it helps others looking for options until the new Hiltons come (or the Southampton Hilton renovates <one can wish>)
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Sauna explosion & fire cancels soccer league match

Lincoln City's Conference game at Eastleigh was postponed following a fire at the Imps' hotel.

An explosion in the sauna at the Hilton Southampton meant the players could not collect their boots and shinpads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29965008
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:38 pm

Just booking some stays for Feb. and noticed the following new development at this tired older Hilton:

Southampton NOR1 upgrade no longer free to Diamonds
by BA_pics, on Flickr

So, used to be that you could get the NOR1 upgrade to the next level room (a deluxe) for 0 as a Diamond...no longer. Now I will have to pay to even get a garden view! and quite a bit to get a deluxe room it seems

This comes on top of the raised parking fee (that used to be free for Diamonds) of 5 that came into effect in Oct. 2014:

Southampton Parking fee
by BA_pics, on Flickr

My only guess is that it is to help recover the cost of the damage recently to the sauna and fitness area as posted by Oxon Flyer, which luckily no one was fatally injured but took a knock on the fitness facilities as this is the notice on their site now;

Southampton Fitness notice
by BA_pics, on Flickr

They certainly aren't trying to win me as a HHonors guest...especially when I can book stays until next April with Accor at the Mercure or Novotel from the same price (advanced purchase on both sites) or even cheaper with Novotel at 56 (excluding parking and breakfast).

Even with the announcement of lifetime diamond, which I will work towards, this hotel is going to lose about a third of my custom in 2015 if they keep these extra costs on...

I like Hilton as a program but for a tired older Hilton that is out of the way from downtown area they sure don't seem to want to value HHonors members (but they do get a lot of Gold/Diamonds anyway from bigger corporate employers in the area and the nearby airport it seems, so likely don't care)...

Instead of 2/3 of my Southampton area stays being in the Hilton, this coming year it is likely to be 1/3 now.

Really looking forward to the Bournemouth and new Southampton Hilton coming on line...

Rant over...forewarned...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Hilton Southampton hotel Trip Reports and Reviews

It's almost as if the idea is to only keep one Hilton in Southampton. Just as the new comes online, the old one commits financial suicide with an associated fireworks display.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.