Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree Southampton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree Southampton {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
I stayed here last week and when I asked for an upgrade was told they were full and none were available. I know at this hotel upgrades don't mean much but this was a blatant lie - the website indicated at least 4 rooms available in various categories. I checked in at about 7.30pm so they're hardly likely to get new reservations for a night's stay. I'm not sure what the point of avoiding the offering of an upgrade is therefore apart from a general couldn't care less attitude.

bmifly
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
April Review

Booked in one night on advance rate. Contemporary Double Room.

Online check in showed room 425, decided to wait and see if anything else offered at check in.

Arrived 1700, Easter Sunday, quiet no Cruise Ships in. Great staff very welcoming. We were allocated room 425, no upgrade. However there was issue with laundry, I asked for room on top on floor, as 425 was not ready they gave us upgrade to double deluxe 516. So not sure we would have had upgrade if not for the linen issue
In room water and jelly beans there, room fine, bit dated but okay

Dinner in restaurant was good value for 21 3 courses, food hit and miss, send starter back, was not really what was described on menu, they did offer replacement but Uncle took a large red wine instead

Breakfast okay as well.

Staff are very good here.

Livingwell will remain closed until at least August

5 charge for parking even for Diamond.

All in all a decent place if quiet and good rate
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:41 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
This hotel appears to now have finally converted to a DoubleTree. (bookings from now onwards are under DT name) It may have been a DT for some time now but I didn't catch that and can't find any press release online about when it changed.

From the website (and from pictures there) the lobby has been updated and looks nice (but they've removed the Costa counter across from the reception so that likely is gone, it was a nice way to use the drinks voucher to be honest).

I've not been back for a very long time but will be here mid Feb. 2017 and will report back with pictures and an update if no one else stays before then (and posts an update @:-) )

And yes, I was aware it was becoming a DT back in Feb. this year from a former staff member that moved to the Ageas Bowl later on...(and has now left to go elsewhere)...
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:02 am

Stayed here mid Feb. (weekday, cash rate).

Some things have changed now that it is a doubletree and some things are still the same.

Parking lot is still quite busy and chargeable but I didn't get charged (think this is more a mistake than a diamond benefit).

Entrance is much brighter and completely renovated, looks good. Costa area is gone but they do have some coffee facilities behind the bar (straight ahead to the right as you enter the hotel). I did not see a proper barista machine but maybe that was just covered by other things. The coffee is now from starbucks if that is important to some.

Check in was fairly quick but no recognition and still the same envelope with vouchers, letter, etc... Keycard had to be coded as I did not check in online (the hotel had not upgraded me yet and the room list was very poorly laid out as only a long list of rooms but no floor map.

I ended up getting a nice room on the 5th floor near one end of the building which had also seen some renovation in the bathroom ^ (the floor covering is new and the sink is finally a mixer tap (one combined hot and cold water tap). The rest of the room is the same as before but okay (if a bit dated).

I also had the usual DT cookie given at checkin and in the room there were still a jar of nuts with the usual two bottles of water ^^

Breakfast in the morning was still exactly the same and the restaurant hasn't changed, including many of the staff. The breakfast used to be quite good here but on this occasion it was very good in the variety of items but poor in the hot breakfast area (the tomatoes were burnt but not cooked well enough, the bacon was cold as examples) however, the cold items seem to have improved with salmon now available and a nicer variety of freshly cut fruits, etc...

Overall, I would return and the value for money is now much improved as a DT, with good diamond value (breakfast, drink voucher, water in room, jar of nuts in room) for a very reasonable 60-70 usual rate here weekdays (or even better in sales)...compared to the other Hampton/Hilton properties around the area it is far cheaper and good value if still somewhat dated in some areas/aspects but everything is in decent condition and works.

The room temperature controls are also new so hopefully this is also fixed and the room can be cooled/heated to the user preference (as air con did not work at all previously).

Just don't expect any 'good to see you again, diamond member xx' as even with over 100 nights here, I still get treated like it is my first time in a Hilton and this one in particular...but that is a first world problem so I'll just smile and happily get a decent rate and benefits this hotel offers.

Hope this is of use, didn't take any pictures as not enough has changed to warrant it.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Here tomorrow, pre- upgraded to Junior suite. very much looking forward to a couple of days on the coast.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Stayed here a few weeks ago and had a very nice stay. We booked a 1 bedroom suite, so no upgrades to be had, but the hotel kindly provided us with some additional welcome gifts.

As we had our 2 year old with us, the hotel had set-up the sofa bed for us as well as providing a small selection of stuff for her, which again was a nice touch.

We also received wine, nuts, water etc as a Diamond, as well a few drinks vouchers for our stay. We also weren't charged for parking during the stay.

It was our first time staying here, but we would definitely stay again if in the area.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:45 pm
cjd

Do the rooms now have air conditioning? When we stayed several years ago, the rooms we were allocated did not have air conditioning and in the summer heat were rather unpleasant as the windows hardly opened. We even checked out early because of that.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Very friendly welcome, lovely receptionists. Room for a junior suite was smaller, but in very good condition and nice for us.
Water/ nuts/ bathrobes, a drink each included. Nice touch.
Breakfast includes smoked salmon, which I have to admit I do like. We had a very nice stay overall. I like the new doubletree toiletries, they are fresh and zingy. Had a nice day in Southampton town centre (you can catch the bus in and out just outside the hotel- 3.90 return). The room suited us well.
One thing I have to mention is the excellent and caring reception staff. A credit to Hilton.
Will return. It is quite different to Aegeas Bowl, but at the right rate quite nice- and easy drive to Winchester for the day.

Our room did have air conditioning. I think all the deluxe rooms and up do? The hotel is built into a hillside, so floor 3 is reception level.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:41 am

Anyone else received an invite to this hotel as part of its rebranding to a DoubleTree?

Had an email through today inviting me to attend...Not sure if it went out to everyone or just because I have an upcoming stay this month or if it is a simple marketing mailing to all and sundry.

Apparently some prizes and offers during the event. Anyone else going?

I'll update here if I do go and find out anything of relevance.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by BotB
Anyone else received an invite to this hotel as part of its rebranding to a DoubleTree?

Had an email through today inviting me to attend...Not sure if it went out to everyone or just because I have an upcoming stay this month or if it is a simple marketing mailing to all and sundry.

Apparently some prizes and offers during the event. Anyone else going?

I'll update here if I do go and find out anything of relevance.
Did you go?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Did you go?
No, it was mid-week which was not convenient for me, so didn't find out any further information.

Safe travels.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Summary - Not my best Hilton group stay, but they did a better-than-expected job of recovering my one problem.

No platinum recognition at check-in, no drinks vouchers, and no cookie. I asked why I hadn't been upgraded and said there was a suite free according to the Hilton app. I was put into the suite with no objection or hint of grumpiness - just shows if you don't ask you don't get.

My bathroom wasn't clean - a very long hair and pubic hair in the bath - so I asked for and was given a drinks voucher to go sit in the bar while they cleaned my room again. I didn't make a big fuss and considered the free drink (a nicely-chilled pint of Hoegaarden) a decent compensation.

The room itself was a decent size and had a Nespresso machine - always a favourite of mine - plus very good A/C.

The full buffet breakfast was OK but nothing special.

At checkout I was asked if everything was OK. I mentioned the room cleanliness issue and free drink I got as compensation. I was therefore surprised when they knocked 25% off the room rate. OK, unlike points that doesn't benefit me directly for a company-paid stay, but it's a nice gesture nevertheless.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Skimanant
Very friendly welcome, lovely receptionists. Room for a junior suite was smaller, but in very good condition and nice for us.
Water/ nuts/ bathrobes, a drink each included. Nice touch.
Breakfast includes smoked salmon, which I have to admit I do like. We had a very nice stay overall. I like the new doubletree toiletries, they are fresh and zingy. Had a nice day in Southampton town centre (you can catch the bus in and out just outside the hotel- 3.90 return). The room suited us well.
One thing I have to mention is the excellent and caring reception staff. A credit to Hilton.
Will return. It is quite different to Aegeas Bowl, but at the right rate quite nice- and easy drive to Winchester for the day.

Our room did have air conditioning. I think all the deluxe rooms and up do? The hotel is built into a hillside, so floor 3 is reception level.

Recent 1 night stay and a very similar experience to Skimanant.
  • Pre-upgraded to a Junior Suite for OLCI and was able to check in before 2pm.
  • Water and Bathrobes in room
  • Free bar drink voucher per person
  • Good friendly staff
  • 5 Parking charge not waived for Diamonds
  • Buffet breakfast was fine - not as wide a selection as some UK properties
Old Feb 12, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
A good friend of mine stayed here during the week and reports his stay as horrid.

No pre upgrade , no upgrage on arrival ( he asked but was told hotel full but it was clearly not ) …no water in room and room was dirty.
Hairs in bath and crisp packet under bed, he also told me the room was cold and draughty…..they moved him to a suite ( obviously they wasn’t full! ) but the room wasn’t much better with mould around bathtub and smelled of stale cigarette smoke.
Breakfast was a nice selection but only tepid.
He’s a gold member and told them of his dissatisfaction at checkout, they thanked him for his feedback and wished him a good day.
I would avoid this hotel!
Winniesbestfriend and BotB like this.

Last edited by wizla; Feb 13, 2022 at 1:22 am
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by wizla
A good friend of mine stayed here during the week and reports his stay as horrid.

No pre upgrade , no upgrage on arrival ( he asked but was told hotel full but it was clearly not ) …no water in room and room was dirty.
Hairs in bath and crisp packet under bed, he also told me the room was cold and draughty…..they moved him to a suite ( obviously they wasn’t full! ) but the room wasn’t much better with mould around bathtub and smelled of stale cigarette smoke.
Breakfast was a nice selection but only tepid.
He’s a gold member and told them of his dissatisfaction at checkout, they thanked him for his feedback and wished him a good day.
I would avoid this hotel!
Good to know, thanks! There is a reason this hotel is considerably cheaper than the other Hiltons in the wider area...The staff were brilliant here many years ago but they have moved on to other locations or away and although the hotel was renovated...it suffers from a few issues unfortunately...too much cruise ship business stays here that keep it 'afloat' (couldn't pass up the pun opportunity!) so no need to go after general business. (of course once Covid allows cruises again that is)....

The Ageas is far superior and worth the extra in my opinion. The Hampton in Bournemouth is a good alternative for price and nicer beach location...if one doesn't need to be specific to this site. I say this as someone that has stayed over 100 nights at this hotel over the years...

Safe travels.
wizla likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.