Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2023, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by jazz12pg
Did the same calculations and we decided to rent a minivan for one day and planned around it. The day we have the minivan is right in the middle of our trip and we will be driving to Makawao for a pineapple farm tour, do some shopping, and do a birthday dinner in West Maui. Renting from the Budget in Wailea Town Center that is about 10-15 minute walk from the resort. Picking it up at 8am, hitting the road, then when we get back I will drop it in the overnight return and won't have to worry about parking/valet. Booked via Costco for $90-some with taxes for the day, plus whatever we use in gas.

We're there for 7 days and 3 of those days we are doing off-resort activities that either pick us up (Road to Hana and Haleakala sunrise) or are walking distance (sea scooter snorkeling), with the rest just hanging at the pools, beach, shops.
not sure if you've researched much about road to hana, but to us, the fun of it is driving ourselves and stopping where we want along the way to explore or hike or take a dip in the streams and swimming holes. Might want to reconsider someone driving you or being in a group for that activity, just saying.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
not sure if you've researched much about road to hana, but to us, the fun of it is driving ourselves and stopping where we want along the way to explore or hike or take a dip in the streams and swimming holes. Might want to reconsider someone driving you or being in a group for that activity, just saying.
It's a private tour for our group of 7 so luckily we'll be able to choose some of the stops or how long we spend at places, and I get to sit back and relax since I would have been the one doing the driving and my wife would have been yelling at me for my driving
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

So GW doesn’t have a shuttle to local sites? That’s a little surprise for a resort of this tier in this location.

I checked rental car prices for the Enterprise on site versus the ones in the nearby center. About 30% more. Fred they trip, it’s probably worth paying that premium rather than having to walk 15 minutes in the back. Does anyone know if the Enterprise rental can be charged to the hotel?

Also, if I do a day trip, I will probably want to return the car at 7-8 pm. On the websites, all the rental places close at 4 pm. Do they all have a place to do after hour returns? Should I book the reservation as if I’m returning the car the next morning?
Old Jul 9, 2023, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Thanks for the suggestions.

So GW doesn’t have a shuttle to local sites? That’s a little surprise for a resort of this tier in this location.
I read that there's a "house car" that will take you to places in the area (within 5 miles, maybe?) that is first come, first serve.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm trying to decide if I should get a rental car for my family trip. I'm going with my wife and 5 year old and 3 yo in late Dec-early January, total 5 nights. We don't plan to venture out much, mostly stay in resort and likely the Shops at Wailea, but I would like to be able to occasionally buy some local food and bring back to resort (prob just me, not the whole family).

What other options for local transportation are there at GW?
you can just use taxi rideshare if you’re only doing grocery / meal shopping. You can also use meal courier services for restaurants.

We always had the car rental for our full Maui trip plus even at GW we still did day trips etc. it wasn’t a cheap experience and we loved our rental. I just wouldn’t recommend it for you.

there is so much to enjoy on the GW property. Have the best trip!!
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
Saw some recent reviews for late June stays that said many of the pools/slides were closed down due to pipe repairs that were needed. Anyone staying there since that knows if everything is back up?
We just left on Saturday morning, and the two big slides were closed the entire time. On a few days only two of the other slides were open. Our kids were bummed.

But good news-they are actually working to repair the water elevator right now
Old Jul 9, 2023, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by JetSet05
We just left on Saturday morning, and the two big slides were closed the entire time. On a few days only two of the other slides were open. Our kids were bummed.

Wow, that stinks about the slides. Right in the middle of summer vacation when I'm sure the place is loaded with kids. But I guess if things break they need to be fixed.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by JetSet05

did someone say WATER ELEVATOR REPAIRS?
dlaue and Irishthelucky1 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
did someone say WATER ELEVATOR REPAIRS?
since 2020! I still can’t believe it’s taking this long. It’s also beyond ridiculous that the 2 biggest slides didn’t work. I hate to imagine the queue for the Tarzan rope. I the adult would be super bummed for all these things to not work. The pool is the major best thing at GW. It’s not the buffet nor the beach. It’s not any recent renovation. It’s not a special basic room. It’s the pools. Ugh.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:23 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Imagine if they shut off the lazy river, too, and it was just a....pool.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Is the adults pool still operational?

I am assuming this will all be sorted by December
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Is the adults pool still operational?

I am assuming this will all be sorted by December
...And I would have assumed it wouldn't have taken more than THREE YEARS to fix their water elevator too LOL
Your guess is as good as anyone else's on time frame!
Enjoy in December
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:40 pm

Need input on this choice, since we've never been to the property: We booked for 2 deluxe ocean view rooms (2 queens) and are being offered 2 Napua Garden View rooms (2 queens) instead. Rooms 6061 & 6063.

Is giving up the ocean view from a standard room for a garden view worth the Napua benefits?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Need input on this choice, since we've never been to the property: We booked for 2 deluxe ocean view rooms (2 queens) and are being offered 2 Napua Garden View rooms (2 queens) instead. Rooms 6061 & 6063.

Is giving up the ocean view from a standard room for a garden view worth the Napua benefits?
If they are true Napua Tower rooms, absolutely worth it. You know the benefits include breakfast, drinks and appetizers, right?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
If they are true Napua Tower rooms, absolutely worth it. You know the benefits include breakfast, drinks and appetizers, right?
Yeah, I guess the food alone for 7 of us for a week is worth losing any ocean view. However, when I tried to complete the check-in in the app for the Napua assigned rooms, it's saying "online check in is currently unavailable", so maybe it's not a sure thing. Guess I'll have to go to the front desk when we arrive tomorrow and cross my fingers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.