Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old May 17, 2023, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by wilma
I was at the Grand wailea april 28 and the food truck was there and serving great food.
thanks, best use of the food and beverage credit imho.
wilma likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 3:04 pm

I have reservations for next February during President's Day weekend. I am thinking that some whales should still be in the area as part of the normal migratory patterns, anyone have suggestions on best time of the day to try to spot them, and any particular locations on the property? And does the property rent binoculars to help with the viewings?
Old May 17, 2023, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by HIFlya
I have reservations for next February during President's Day weekend. I am thinking that some whales should still be in the area as part of the normal migratory patterns, anyone have suggestions on best time of the day to try to spot them, and any particular locations on the property? And does the property rent binoculars to help with the viewings?
There will definitely be whales in the area...February is peak season. Easier to see in the morning, as the northerly winds can make the water choppy in the afternoon. But you will be able to see them all day. Lots of them. Book a high floor room.

Better yet, book a whale watch out of Lahaina. Even more whales off Lahaina.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've never been on a whale watch tour. Tried once, seas were too rough.

But something happened recently off the coast of Oregon that has put me off whale wathcing. Forever. Childish, you might think. I guess I'm just naive.

A pod of orcas (aka "killer" whales) were off the Oregon Coast. As a pod of grey whales was passing by. Now, in my naivete, I "know" of orcas who live in the San Juan Islands off the coast of washington. Always thought they were the cutest whales, all black and whilte, had heard that the markings are so unique it's how they identify them. All roses and sunshine so far. Sure didn't sound like "killer" whales.

So last week, off the coast of Oregon (where I live), a pod of orcas ran into a pod of gray whales (think the sharks and the jets, ready to rumble), and this pod of orcas separated a baby newborn gray whale from its pod, and thrashed and smashed and killed this baby gray whale to its bloody death.

Mother nature? Sure. Did I expect it? No. I readily admit my bad, my naivete.

I do not need to go see that.
Old May 17, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
They are called "killer whales" for a reason.

However, in the Hawaiian Islands, the only threat to the humpback are ships. You won't have a killer whale attack in Hawaiian waters.
Old May 17, 2023, 7:06 pm

I'm sure, and I do apologize. That story just really wrecked me. Reminded me of when I was in a tent in Tanzania listening to an elephant wailing and trumpeting all night long. Found out by the light of day a lion had separated a baby elephant from its group and again, killed it. Right outside our tent.

Sorry I'm such a big baby.
Old May 17, 2023, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I've never been on a whale watch tour. Tried once, seas were too rough.

But something happened recently off the coast of Oregon that has put me off whale wathcing. Forever. Childish, you might think. I guess I'm just naive.

A pod of orcas (aka "killer" whales) were off the Oregon Coast. As a pod of grey whales was passing by. Now, in my naivete, I "know" of orcas who live in the San Juan Islands off the coast of washington. Always thought they were the cutest whales, all black and whilte, had heard that the markings are so unique it's how they identify them. All roses and sunshine so far. Sure didn't sound like "killer" whales.

So last week, off the coast of Oregon (where I live), a pod of orcas ran into a pod of gray whales (think the sharks and the jets, ready to rumble), and this pod of orcas separated a baby newborn gray whale from its pod, and thrashed and smashed and killed this baby gray whale to its bloody death.

Mother nature? Sure. Did I expect it? No. I readily admit my bad, my naivete.

I do not need to go see that.
Whoa...that sounds amazing in a nature type of way. You saw it happen in person or was this something shown on the news? I can totally understand being traumatized by the experience if you saw it in person.
Old May 17, 2023, 8:34 pm

It was last week in our Eugene newspaper, the Register-Guard. The only live link I could find was a Twitter one, dated May 11.
Old May 18, 2023, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Aaaaaanyway, despite all the nature above, you will see as many whales as you want in February. We took advantage of the sunset cruise discount as part of GW membership last Feb, so fun, great experience, and surrounded by whales. great time. Not listed anymore, but it was Kai Kanani Cruises
gaobest likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Enjoy the GW stay. In February 2017 we bought snorkel tix and saw fish off Molokini - the minivan fetched us at GW. I mostly saw sea turtles near Lahaina / kaanapali area. This year in kaua’i we saw sea turtles & seals (sea lions?) on the beach itself. I haven’t really yet seen whales up close.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 1:50 pm

Has anyone stayed at the GW recently who can comment on how it is getting on with refurbishments? We are coming to Maui for the first time in a few months and its always been a bucket list thing for me to stay at the GW because of the pool. Availability has opened up for points bookings for our dates and we are currently booked into an apartment just up the road in Wailea. Im now debating whether or not to book the GW.

Ive recently read so many posts and reviews saying that the property is a building site, it is very dated and aged, and the water elevator is still broken. Is it really that bad? Is there still no estimated date for the water elevator being repaired? It seems ridiculous that it is taking this long. I also wonder the likelihood of getting a refurbished room as I would be disappointed to check in and receive one of the older rooms which frankly look worse than most 3 star hotels Ive stayed in.

We dont have enough points for our proposed three night stay, so factoring everything in it would cost about the same as our apartment up the road plus another 340,000 Hilton points. Im now debating whether or not that is worth it. Any guidance you have or recent experience staying at the GW would be much appreciated!
Old May 29, 2023, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Megan Murray
Has anyone stayed at the GW recently who can comment on how it is getting on with refurbishments? We are coming to Maui for the first time in a few months and its always been a bucket list thing for me to stay at the GW because of the pool. Availability has opened up for points bookings for our dates and we are currently booked into an apartment just up the road in Wailea. Im now debating whether or not to book the GW.

Ive recently read so many posts and reviews saying that the property is a building site, it is very dated and aged, and the water elevator is still broken. Is it really that bad? Is there still no estimated date for the water elevator being repaired? It seems ridiculous that it is taking this long. I also wonder the likelihood of getting a refurbished room as I would be disappointed to check in and receive one of the older rooms which frankly look worse than most 3 star hotels Ive stayed in.

We dont have enough points for our proposed three night stay, so factoring everything in it would cost about the same as our apartment up the road plus another 340,000 Hilton points. Im now debating whether or not that is worth it. Any guidance you have or recent experience staying at the GW would be much appreciated!
I don't know if the GW does it, I know some hotels in various places do, but sometimes if you rent a cabana you don't have to be a guest. That way you could keep your apartment, and try out the pools for a day (a long day, cabana rental is usually from morning til night).

If you can't do that, while we love the pools, you didn't say if you had kids with you and how old they are. Having the space of an apartment/condo is alway great compared to one room. So there are trade offs.
Old May 29, 2023, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I don't know if the GW does it, I know some hotels in various places do, but sometimes if you rent a cabana you don't have to be a guest. That way you could keep your apartment, and try out the pools for a day (a long day, cabana rental is usually from morning til night).

If you can't do that, while we love the pools, you didn't say if you had kids with you and how old they are. Having the space of an apartment/condo is alway great compared to one room. So there are trade offs.
Thanks Eujeanie - I just had a look at cabanas and unfortunately they appear to be just for the GW guests which is a real shame!

We are a family of 5; all technically adults with our youngest being 18. We love big feature pools so imagine the one at the GW would be great. We are also staying at Aulani on Oahu but it looks like the GW pool complex is even better than that from the videos and reviews Ive seen.
Old May 29, 2023, 3:58 pm

Thanks Eujeanie - I just had a look at cabanas and unfortunately they appear to be just for the GW guests which is a real shame!

We are a family of 5; all technically adults with our youngest being 18. We love big feature pools so imagine the one at the GW would be great. We are also staying at Aulani on Oahu but it looks like the GW pool complex is even better than that from the videos and reviews Ive seen.
Actually it's a good thing for those who pay to stay at the GW, I just threw it out as a possibility.

Does your apartment have a pool? I woudn't even mention the GW pools to your gang, unless you want to go check them out for a future trip. You can always go over to the GW and just walk around and look. You wouldn't be able to even sit by the pool because you'd need wristbands to do that.

5 people would be very cramped in one regular GW room.
Old May 29, 2023, 5:31 pm

Has anyone stayed at the GW recently who can comment on how it is getting on with refurbishments? We are coming to Maui for the first time in a few months and it’s always been a bucket list thing for me to stay at the GW because of the pool. Availability has opened up for points bookings for our dates and we are currently booked into an apartment just up the road in Wailea. I’m now debating whether or not to book the GW.

I’ve recently read so many posts and reviews saying that the property is a building site, it is very dated and aged, and the water elevator is still broken. Is it really that bad? Is there still no estimated date for the water elevator being repaired? It seems ridiculous that it is taking this long. I also wonder the likelihood of getting a refurbished room as I would be disappointed to check in and receive one of the older rooms which frankly look worse than most 3 star hotels I’ve stayed in.

We don’t have enough points for our proposed three night stay, so factoring everything in it would cost about the same as our apartment up the road plus another 340,000 Hilton points. I’m now debating whether or not that is worth it. Any guidance you have or recent experience staying at the GW would be much appreciated!
I just came home from a week-long trip last week. This was my third trip (first in March 2018, second in November 2021). While I kept my expectations tempered based on previous comments on this thread, I can honestly say that our experience was 5 star. There was a conference going on for most of our stay, but we barely noticed. They are more well-staffed than either of my two prior trips and it shows.

We did pay for an upgrade to Napua for a few reasons (we paid with points) and likely wouldn't have done so if it wasn't our honeymoon. We particularly enjoy spending our mornings drinking coffee on the lanai and often have drinks out there in the evening, but with the conference, the only rooms available at check-in were on the first floor and we didn't love the idea of constantly having people walk by when we wanted to enjoy alone time. An ocean view was an added bonus and we took advantage of breakfast/drinks in the Napua Lounge quite a bit. I am a diamond member, but the conference had an overwhelming majority of the rooms and based on the evening entertainment they were paying for and all of their events around the resort, I can see why the GW would have given them the best rooms.

At this point, any room that you book should be newly renovated. The last two wings are currently under renovation. I was technically two doors away from a room actively being renovated (we could see them working inside when we walked past), but I think I maybe heard 5 total minutes work of construction in the middle of one afternoon and it was a drill. If I didn't see the room being worked on, I never would have known. You can reach out in advance to request an updated room, just in case.

The updates are very visible throughout the lobby, which looks more beautiful than ever. The updated Botero Lounge is excellent, and so was the food. We didn't eat at Loulu (the former Cafe Kula), but it looks really nice. Bistro Molokini was just concluding its renovation as we were leaving, so it should be open by the time you arrive. It looked really nice. Grotto Bar's makeover was much needed and also looks great.

Yes, the water elevator is still down and likely will never be fixed. The part that is broken is custom and it sounds like they are struggling to replace it. Having done it in 2018? You're not missing anything.

Despite the conference and then the sea of families descending on Thursday for the holiday weekend, I never had trouble getting lounge chairs for both of us. Servers were super attentive and attendants came around every 15-20 minutes, offering free fruit (strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc.). This was new for me, and a nice touch.

The only disappointment was that Spa Grande is still under construction (as it was 18 months ago) and it is nowhere remotely near done, so I would guess it will be done sometime next year. But compared to everything else that has recently been updated, I would use it the least.

My complaints were minimal: the usual about having to pay for valet parking and how slow service was at Humu Humu for mediocre food (it was a 2.5 hour meal that felt every bit as long). For similar pricing, I’d skip Humu Humu and go to Mama’s Fish House instead. We had done that the day before and it was the best meal we’ve ever eaten.

The long is above, the short is: don’t be nervous. Switch your reservation because you're going to love it. Have a WONDERFUL time!

EDITED for typos, ugh.
Adelphos and wishkah6 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.