Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
The Grotto bar is a bar within the swimming pool. I have swum around and in it. I never ordered anything. I cannot see how they could offer food. Just beverages. Cool fun concept. I just wasn’t interested - I tended to not consume while being in the pool.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by gaobest
The Grotto bar is a bar within the swimming pool. I have swum around and in it. I never ordered anything. I cannot see how they could offer food. Just beverages. Cool fun concept. I just wasn’t interested - I tended to not consume while being in the pool.
They serve hot food, we've had lunch or snacks there many times. It is connected to land/kitchen/etc through a door behind the bar. The bartenders remain dry throughout their shift, they do not need to swim to/from work.
gaobest likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
They serve hot food, we've had lunch or snacks there many times. It is connected to land/kitchen/etc through a door behind the bar. The bartenders remain dry throughout their shift, they do not need to swim to/from work.
oops I really missed that part! Thanks :-)
I tend to not eat when I’m in a swimming pool. Just curbside to a pool.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:31 pm

Any Elite Members know the protocol for receiving the member discounts around the resort? Do you have to show your ID card before ordering at the sit-down restaurants, or can you wait until the check arrives? And can you use the discount when charging something to the room, or only when paying at the point of sale?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jazz12pg
Any Elite Members know the protocol for receiving the member discounts around the resort? Do you have to show your ID card before ordering at the sit-down restaurants, or can you wait until the check arrives? And can you use the discount when charging something to the room, or only when paying at the point of sale?
Huh? Boy do I feel stupid now.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by jazz12pg
I just show it when paying for something, and they take care of the discount. Have done at shops, sit-down restaurants, and the Grotto bar.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:31 pm

I don't recall ever being told this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 4:21 pm

We are taking a 10 day trip to Hawaii. Right now I have 4 nights booked at the Hyatt Regency Maui, and 5 nights at Hawaiian Hilton Village in oahu. Would you all recommending spending less time in oahu and do 3 nights at the Wailea instead, spending more time on Maui?

First time for my wife and I to Hawaii. I hear there is good hiking on every island, and we just want to go to Oahu for pearl harbor.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by godawgs
We are taking a 10 day trip to Hawaii. Right now I have 4 nights booked at the Hyatt Regency Maui, and 5 nights at Hawaiian Hilton Village in oahu. Would you all recommending spending less time in oahu and do 3 nights at the Wailea instead, spending more time on Maui?

First time for my wife and I to Hawaii. I hear there is good hiking on every island, and we just want to go to Oahu for pearl harbor.
A GREAT hike on Oahu is to hike Diamond Head - what a view from the top. Bring a flashlight because part of it is through tunnels.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
A GREAT hike on Oahu is to hike Diamond Head - what a view from the top. Bring a flashlight because part of it is through tunnels.
would three days be enough to experience that and Pearl Harbor? we can extend our stay on Maui and stay at the GW.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 5:58 pm

would three days be enough to experience that and Pearl Harbor? we can extend our stay on Maui and stay at the GW.
Since this is the GW thread I'm sure you know all the pros and cons of the GW vs. the Hyatt...are you all adults, any kids, like pools, don't like pools...?

But to the Oahu question, if you were pressed for time you could hike Diamond Head at the crack of dawn (when it's cooler, then get an afternoon reservation at Pearl Harbor). Or do one thing a day. But in either case 3 days could be enough, but we also like Oahu and would spend the time half and half.

Are you interested in Military History? We liked the museum literally right next door to the HHV. We are not shoppers, but Oahu is the place to be for that. Are you interested in other Polynesian cultures? We also liked the PCC on the north shore. Are you snorkelers? Maui is great for that, but Hanauma Bay is also.

I've never stayed at the Hyatt but it looks lovely. Kaanapali and Wailea are very different. Splitting your time on Maui is something we have done many times in the past.

It's a tough question without knowing YOU, and what other times you have been to Hawaii and what islands.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:06 pm

I was planning on splitting time at the Hyatt, and the GW. Instead of doing 5 nights at HHV, since we are not fans of the city feel. That way we could experience Kaanapali and Wailea each, and still see Pearl Harbor/Diamond head.

It's just my wife and I going - first time to Hawaii for either of us. Some GW availability opened up so I figured maybe we should do 3 nights there and experience more of Maui, rather than the more city-feel of Waikiki.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:15 pm

I was planning on splitting time at the Hyatt, and the GW. Instead of doing 5 nights at HHV, since we are not fans of the city feel. That way we could experience Kaanapali and Wailea each, and still see Pearl Harbor/Diamond head.

It's just my wife and I going - first time to Hawaii for either of us. Some GW availability opened up so I figured maybe we should do 3 nights there and experience more of Maui, rather than the more city-feel of Waikiki.
That sounds like a good plan. For years we split our time between islands...it was very rushed. Then we started to split time between 2 hotels on each island.

Would you just zip over to Oahu for Pearl Harbor? That can work because it's so close to the airport. Then you can see if busy Waikiki is someplace you want to come back to later. Freeways, high rises....but we find the hotels to be oases.

GW availability (points I assume?) is hard to come by so why not grab it while you can.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
That sounds like a good plan. For years we split our time between islands...it was very rushed. Then we started to split time between 2 hotels on each island.

Would you just zip over to Oahu for Pearl Harbor? That can work because it's so close to the airport. Then you can see if busy Waikiki is someplace you want to come back to later. Freeways, high rises....but we find the hotels to be oases.

GW availability (points I assume?) is hard to come by so why not grab it while you can.
Thanks for confirming the plan for Hawaii rookies. Standard point availability is showing now for the time we are going to be there, so I can do 3 nights on points. 4 nights Hyatt Kaanapali, 3 at GW, then planning to hop to Oahu for last 2 nights.

we fly to OGG but booked award return from Oahu. So flexible to hop to Oahu later in our trip so we can experience more of Maui, and not feel rushed. We are in DFW and my wife is a small town Kentucky girl - she hates cities and the more I read about Waikiki the more I figured she’d much prefer Maui.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:55 pm

Thanks for confirming the plan for Hawaii rookies. Standard point availability is showing now for the time we are going to be there, so I can do 3 nights on points. 4 nights Hyatt Kaanapali, 3 at GW, then planning to hop to Oahu for last 2 nights.

we fly to OGG but booked award return from Oahu. So flexible to hop to Oahu later in our trip so we can experience more of Maui, and not feel rushed. We are in DFW and my wife is a small town Kentucky girl - she hates cities and the more I read about Waikiki the more I figured she’d much prefer Maui.
Sounds like a great plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.