Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by godawgs
Thanks for confirming the plan for Hawaii rookies. Standard point availability is showing now for the time we are going to be there, so I can do 3 nights on points. 4 nights Hyatt Kaanapali, 3 at GW, then planning to hop to Oahu for last 2 nights.

we fly to OGG but booked award return from Oahu. So flexible to hop to Oahu later in our trip so we can experience more of Maui, and not feel rushed. We are in DFW and my wife is a small town Kentucky girl - she hates cities and the more I read about Waikiki the more I figured she’d much prefer Maui.
There are places on Oahu if you want to get away from the "big-city" atmosphere of Waikiki, but it would require a car and driving, and you could pretty much spend all day out there and so would only need to come back to Waikiki to sleep. However, since these are award stays we are talking about, considering your preferences, and also the value of the stays (especially if you are using FNAs), you get much better value at GW versus HHV. HHV is not bad, but from what I hear on here and my wife's reaction about both places (she doesn't want to go back to HHV and can't wait for us to go GW) I am thinking GW is leaps and bounds better!
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HIFlya
There are places on Oahu if you want to get away from the "big-city" atmosphere of Waikiki, but it would require a car and driving, and you could pretty much spend all day out there and so would only need to come back to Waikiki to sleep. However, since these are award stays we are talking about, considering your preferences, and also the value of the stays (especially if you are using FNAs), you get much better value at GW versus HHV. HHV is not bad, but from what I hear on here and my wife's reaction about both places (she doesn't want to go back to HHV and can't wait for us to go GW) I am thinking GW is leaps and bounds better!
They are very different. We like both. Haven't been to HHV in a while, mostly because the tower we like (Ali'i) is a huge points premium. At the GW we just booked the basic on points and are happy with what we've gotten.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by jazz12pg
Any Elite Members know the protocol for receiving the member discounts around the resort? Do you have to show your ID card before ordering at the sit-down restaurants, or can you wait until the check arrives? And can you use the discount when charging something to the room, or only when paying at the point of sale?
Can someone PLEASE explain this to me? Whenever we would go into a restaurant they would say "thank you for being Diamond", but since I don't pay the checks my husband signs everything to the room and he never mentioned seeing a discount. We had 6 people so all the checks were pretty huge. It might have been there. And how much was it anyway?

But can someone please tell me what to do/say/look for next time we're there?
Old Jul 1, 2023, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Can someone PLEASE explain this to me? Whenever we would go into a restaurant they would say "thank you for being Diamond", but since I don't pay the checks my husband signs everything to the room and he never mentioned seeing a discount. We had 6 people so all the checks were pretty huge. It might have been there. And how much was it anyway?

But can someone please tell me what to do/say/look for next time we're there?
This has nothing to do with HH status…it’s the property’s proprietary membership program.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
This has nothing to do with HH status…it’s the property’s proprietary membership program.
Ok, that makes sense. Those that buy time/shares/whatever. But using the words "elite' led one (read ME) to think it was because of HH status.

That would have been super crappy if HH elites were not told of any discounts.

Very happy to hear the clarification.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 5:27 pm

Ok, that makes sense. Those that buy time/shares/whatever. But using the words "elite' led one (read ME) to think it was because of HH status.

That would have been super crappy if HH elites were not told of any discounts.

Very happy to hear the clarification.
Membership | Grand Wailea Maui
Old Jul 1, 2023, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
That link doesn't say what it costs to join, but I'm sure it's not insignificant (we sat in the Botero lounge once while a "member's only" affair was going on below).

Fine if you want to go to the same place a lot, I'm sure you can make the numbers work. I really don't know. As I said, I was just confused that it might have been Hilton Elites (Diamond, Gold) getting discounts I was not aware of.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 9:24 am

That link doesn't say what it costs to join, but I'm sure it's not insignificant (we sat in the Botero lounge once while a "member's only" affair was going on below).

Fine if you want to go to the same place a lot, I'm sure you can make the numbers work. I really don't know. As I said, I was just confused that it might have been Hilton Elites (Diamond, Gold) getting discounts I was not aware of.
For us the numbers definitely worked. Will be our family's first trip to Hawaii and the GW. We have 7 people with 2 rooms for 7 days and (with the current prices for rooms) the 30% off discount on the rooms netted almost $2,000 in savings (after the cost of the membership) plus whatever we will save on the 20% discounts around the resort, at the restaurants, luau, etc. Also got 34x Hilton points when I bought the membership by using my Hilton Aspire AmEx and Diamond status.

So even if we never go back and don't renew it next year, it was worth it for just this family trip.
kirkwoodj and Irishthelucky1 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 11:06 am

For us the numbers definitely worked. Will be our family's first trip to Hawaii and the GW. We have 7 people with 2 rooms for 7 days and (with the current prices for rooms) the 30% off discount on the rooms netted almost $2,000 in savings (after the cost of the membership) plus whatever we will save on the 20% discounts around the resort, at the restaurants, luau, etc. Also got 34x Hilton points when I bought the membership by using my Hilton Aspire AmEx and Diamond status.

So even if we never go back and don't renew it next year, it was worth it for just this family trip.
What is the cost of membership?

Can you use this deal across the street at Ho'Olei?
Old Jul 3, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond

If you could share the membership pricing, I'd also be interested in how that worked out. We have a similar trip planned (7 guests in two rooms for about a week), but we ended up booking a year out with FNCs and points (including maxing out on buying points for half-a-cent each). I'd be curious to see what kind of deals can be had with the membership.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:03 am

What is the cost of membership?

Can you use this deal across the street at Ho'Olei?
Yes, you can, but the Ho'Olei discount is 20% off the lowest flexible rate (instead of the 30% for the main hotel.)

Cost is $2,500 to join plus the first year's annual fee of $350, or prorated for the first year so signing up mid-year it would be $175. You then have to pay $350 every January to stay a member, or you can cancel before then. No timeshare or lifetime locked in commitment.

Used up all my points and certificates for Vegas and the F1 race in November, so would be paying cash for this trip and I ran the numbers 3 ways: Hilton Honors Discount rate, 7th Night Free Promotion, and signing up for Elite Membership. 7th night free got me close to the same overall savings without the upfront cost of the membership, but still saved an extra $450 per room for my stay with the membership, plus the resort discounts and concierge perks (e.g. the Elite Membership concierge booked our luau at the first regular table next to the "preferred" seating.)

Where the membership helped beat the 7th night free promo was the room taxes. For the 7th night free promo you get the room rate for the 7th night free, but you still have to pay the room tax for that 7th night. Since the tax is 17.4% per night based on the daily room rate, having the room rate be 30% lower each night as a member reduced the overall tax we are paying for the week compared to no discount on the room tax under the 7th night free promo.

Also, with the membership pricing we were still able to stack on the $150/room per day resort credit "Indulge Your Senses" promo that we could not have used if doing the 7th night free promo, since you can only apply one promo. And since we get 20% off around the resort, that daily credit actually gets us $180/day worth of goods/services, at retail prices.
Irishthelucky1 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:11 am

Here are the full details for the Elite Membership:

Elite Membership Benefits and Inclusions

ANNUAL DUE $350.00 BILLED IN JANUARY ANNUALLY

MEMBER PREFERRED RATES*

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
  • Up to (9) rooms at 30% discount the “flexible rate” category for any type of guest room including Napua and Suites plus all other primary member discounts per stay
  • 15% discount off the "flexible rate" category for unaccompanied guest of member
*Discounts are reduced for the Holiday Dates of December 26 to January 1, annually to 10% off the fully priced Holiday Rates.

Ho’olei at Grand Wailea*
  • Up to (2) Villas at 20% discount the “flexible rate” category for any type of Villa plus all other primary member discounts per stay
*Discounts are reduced for the Holiday Dates of December 26 to January 1, annually to 10% off the fully priced Holiday Rates. No unaccompanied guest of member discounts available for Ho'olei.

Both properties
  • All occupancy and federal/state taxes, daily resort charge, porterage and maid gratuities are in addition to the room rate and not applicable for discounts.
  • Room discounts are applicable to the “flexible rate” selling price only and not applicable to other offers, promotions, or third-party packages

MEMBER DISCOUNTS

Primary Members receive the following benefits:
20% discount on the following items at the time of service or purchase at the following locations
  • Food and Beverage outlets including room service
  • Individual Spa & Salon Services*
  • Makana, Gifts with Aloha, Quiksilver, Tommy Bahama, Wailea Men and Women’s Shop
  • Beach & Pool Retail Shops
*Exclusions apply and currently include Tobacco, Maui Jim Sunglasses, GoPro, Alcohol purchased in retail stores, all grocery services, Napua Gallery, Spa Packages and Poolside massage, sales items, Cabanas and Casabellas.
*Member ID Cards - During your visits to the resort, you will be required to show your Membership ID card. The membership ID card will ensure that you receive all of your discounts and benefits throughout the resort when you present it at the time of purchase and service.

Reciprocal Properties and benefits:
La Qunita Resort & Spa – Reservations: 760-564-4111 ext. 5131 or by email at [email protected] - Booking code: GWM
· 30% off Flexible Rate on guest rooms
· 15% off Flexible Rate on Suites
· 20% off Golf on applicable courses
· 20% off Spa Treatments (does not include packages)
· 20% off Salon Services (does not include packages)
· 20% off Retail purchases (exclusions may apply)
· 20% off Food & Beverage
*Exclusions apply to each benefit, including guest room availability. Full terms and conditions available via the Resort.

Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa - Reservations: 602-955-6600 ext. 1 - Booking code: WAMBR
· 15% off Flexible Rate for overnight stays at Arizona Biltmore
· 10% off Spa treatments (does not include packages)
*Exclusions apply to each benefit, including guest room availability. Full terms and conditions available via the Resort.

Hotel del Coronado - Reservations: 619-435-6611 option 1 - Booking code: WAMBR
· 15% off Flexible Rate for overnight stays at Hotel del Coronado
· 10% off Flexible Rate for overnight stays at Beach Village and Shore House

Waldorf Astoria Monarch Beach Resort and Club: Reservations: 949-234-3200 - Booking code: WAMBR
· 15% off Best Available/Flexible Rate for overnight stays at Monarch Beach

Hilton Honors Gold
Enjoy the benefits of Hilton Honors Gold status for the lifetime of your Elite membership.
*Upgrading process can take up to 6-8 weeks to reflect

Pre-arrival Services
Allow us to remind you about the due date on your room reservation deposit and help you plan your memories at Grand Wailea.

Membership Referral Program
Be rewarded with a resort credit that can be used for incidental charges (excludes room, tax, joining fees and annual dues) when your referral joins membership.

Exclusive Member-only Stay Promotions
Enjoy ‘extra’ benefits throughout the year with our member only stay promotions. Promotions vary throughout the year, and you’ll receive email notifications for limited time offers.
dgreen12 and Bicoastal Local like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:39 am

Yes, you can, but the Ho'Olei discount is 20% off the lowest flexible rate (instead of the 30% for the main hotel.)

Cost is $2,500 to join plus the first year's annual fee of $350, or prorated for the first year so signing up mid-year it would be $175. You then have to pay $350 every January to stay a member, or you can cancel before then. No timeshare or lifetime locked in commitment.

Used up all my points and certificates for Vegas and the F1 race in November, so would be paying cash for this trip and I ran the numbers 3 ways: Hilton Honors Discount rate, 7th Night Free Promotion, and signing up for Elite Membership. 7th night free got me close to the same overall savings without the upfront cost of the membership, but still saved an extra $450 per room for my stay with the membership, plus the resort discounts and concierge perks (e.g. the Elite Membership concierge booked our luau at the first regular table next to the "preferred" seating.)

Where the membership helped beat the 7th night free promo was the room taxes. For the 7th night free promo you get the room rate for the 7th night free, but you still have to pay the room tax for that 7th night. Since the tax is 17.4% per night based on the daily room rate, having the room rate be 30% lower each night as a member reduced the overall tax we are paying for the week compared to no discount on the room tax under the 7th night free promo.

Also, with the membership pricing we were still able to stack on the $150/room per day resort credit "Indulge Your Senses" promo that we could not have used if doing the 7th night free promo, since you can only apply one promo. And since we get 20% off around the resort, that daily credit actually gets us $180/day worth of goods/services, at retail prices.
I have to give you a lot of credit. My head was spinning just trying to read all that.

I looked up my old folio from Ho'olei last year, paid $1166 per night x 5 nights (no 5th night free for cash). After taxes and resort fee it was $1408 per night for a 3 BR Villa, I know most people are getting 2 rooms over at GW for 7 people (we had 6).

If we decide to go back I'll have to hire an accountant (my husband) (or you, ha ha) to parse it all out to decide if a membership is worth it, even for one time. Next year taking everyone to a resort in Phoenix (not a Hilton).

Are you actually getting tickets to watch the race? That's amazing. We're going to Vegas in October and dreading the construction mess.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:30 am

I have to give you a lot of credit. My head was spinning just trying to read all that.

I looked up my old folio from Ho'olei last year, paid $1166 per night x 5 nights (no 5th night free for cash). After taxes and resort fee it was $1408 per night for a 3 BR Villa, I know most people are getting 2 rooms over at GW for 7 people (we had 6).

If we decide to go back I'll have to hire an accountant (my husband) (or you, ha ha) to parse it all out to decide if a membership is worth it, even for one time. Next year taking everyone to a resort in Phoenix (not a Hilton).

Are you actually getting tickets to watch the race? That's amazing. We're going to Vegas in October and dreading the construction mess.
Yep, we will be in the main grandstands. First Formula One race in person for me and some friends.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:50 am

They are very different. We like both. Haven't been to HHV in a while, mostly because the tower we like (Ali'i) is a huge points premium. At the GW we just booked the basic on points and are happy with what we've gotten.
I guess Ali'i is considered too high up in the tiers to get a complimentary upgrade from a base room? Interestingly enough my sister just told me that she and her family are going to be staying at HHV at the end of the month since my brother in law has a conference for part of their stay so it is a good excuse not to have to stay at my parent's place for that time period. I did notice that the specialty towers rack rates were much higher than the standard available room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.